Village Agent News (Feb/Mar 2021)
It's been a busy time at CCS as we continue to support the most vulnerable people in our communities who like most of us, are finding the current restrictions very challenging.
The cold, wintry weather doesn't really motivate us to think about getting out and about to exercise, but we have some great tips for staying mentally and physically active during these challenging times, helping you to stay fit and well!
Village Agent TOP TIPS keeping your mind and body active in lockdown:
• We have recently hosted many Talking Cafes to help you –
• Watch this one with advice from a Personal Trainer on what you can do at home: https://tinyurl.com/yy75mqpe
• Watch this one on New Year Mental Health and Wellbeing realistic resolutions: https://tinyurl.com/y3tgdlnr
• For Gentle Exercises to help your mind & body – easily done at home! https://tinyurl.com/y4wl8onk
You can see all past Talking Cafe sessions on the subject under the ‘Mental Health
& Well Being’ or ‘Health & Medical’ sections, available to watch on YouTube if
you are not on social media – go to https://somersetagents.org/talking-cafes/.
Tune in for the live streams weekdays at 11am to join in the conversation,
• Download some free games apps you can play with friends – in your devices App Store, search for games like Gin Rummy, Scrabble or similar and share with your friends so they can download the same game and play together! If you need help with this get in touch with your local Agent or ask a friend! Suduko and other mentally challenging games are great for keeping the little grey cells ticking over.
• Check out what local places are doing within lockdown restrictions – Winter Watch on the BBC is a great place to get inspiration to go outdoors! For local ideas try: https://www.somersetwildlife.org/ or the https://www.rspb.org.uk/
• Join Age UK Somerset’s Relaxation and Mindful Breathing online programme. There are three sessions each week, and full details can be found here:
• Fancy a chat with someone? A new friend or a Talk & Support service? We have a new Chat to Connect programme that links people with similar interests so you can connect with new friends! Also, Village Agents can connect you with a befriending or Talk & Support service, or you could call Mind in Somerset listening service if you need a friendly ear https://www.mindinsomerset.org.uk/ call 01935 474875 (South Somerset and Mendip)
• Do something small each day for 10 minutes, whether that’s
• a mindful exercises whether that’s movement, meditation or colouring – ideas below:
• Go for a walk- even a few minutes each day helps your body and mind. SASP have some great ideas: https://www.sasp.co.uk
• Try an online free exercise class – so much is free on YouTube!
• Find a new hobby – because of lockdown, so many companies are offering free training or courses – speak to us if you want to find something specific and we can help!
• Contact Somerset Libraries who can help you with Audio books, films and much more and may be able to offer home deliveries https://www.somerset.gov.uk/libraries-leisure-and-communities/libraries/
I appreciate that not everyone has access to the internet, but if you'd like some support around staying healthy or any other subject, do please get in touch on 01823 331222 or 07946461468.
Stay safe, stay well and stay active!
CCS Village & Community Agents are in your communities across Somerset. They help to bridge the gap between isolated, excluded, vulnerable and lonely individuals and statutory and/or voluntary organisations which offer specific solutions to identified needs. We can offer advice and support to find local groups and activities available in your community and help you with any queries you may have or situations that you need advice and support with.