Leigh on Mendip Memorial Hall Committee

 

Minutes of Meeting Held on 14th June 2005

 

Present             K. Cockroft, R.Orpwood, J. Phillips, T. Schlechter, S. Vaughan

 

Apologies/Absent       G. Baker, J. Brewster, S. Cambourne, P. Moore, C. Peat

 

Minutes             Of previous meeting were agreed and signed

 

Treasurer’s Report  KC reported main recent expense the SWEB bill but this in line with normal charges.  Good balances in accounts and to consider making another transfer from current account to deposit.  Final figure for profit from quiz still not available as had not had costs in from GB or Rod, GB’s received at the meeting.  100 Club draw made.

 

Booking Clerk’s report  CP unable to attend but had given SV some notes.  1) Query from equipment hirer re charge made.  Was hiring for charity event but committee confirmed we do have to charge normally as this is the only way we cover our costs such as electricity, replacement of equipment etc. We are a charity ourselves and quite often a hirer is another charity or an organisation with very limited funds.  It may be possible to waive a charge on the odd occasion but this would very much be the exception rather than the rule. 2) The Journal had asked if we wished to continue to advertise Hall and decision had been needed prior to meeting.  SV had decided not to continue as appeared to have only been 1 enquiry which came to nothing.  However at meeting committee agreed to continue with advert in Fosseway magazine but to request CP to ask any new future enquirers where they found out about the Hall so we can judge if worth continuing with advert.

 

Correspondence  Copy of Thatch, SV to circulate

 

Maintenance  1) SV still to check if Paul B re sodium low level lighting, committee suggested mentioning this and reason for it in magazine. 2) Spring maintenance session very successful, special thanks to TS who came and cleared out all the gutters that week and to Clive and Gill Baker who put in a lot of time that morning plus continued work aimed to keep the area round the tubs weed free.  Re this Tarmac have promised some gravel free of charge but it had not arrived yet. 3) SV had contacted electricity board re pylon resting on gutter who had put it on their list but fairly low priority so may take some time before a site visit.4) Slow release light switch in foyer sticking, TS to oil.

 

Fund raising   1) Autumn event -  RO’s contact did not work out.  GB had attended Take Art meeting but SV had not realised until had message from them that deadline was 31st May for bookings.  However they are still prepared to take booking if one we want free, after discussion 3 choices made, SV to ring Take Art to check availability.  2) Fete - GB had left message to say all plans going well and to request anyone free, to help with clear up after 4pm.  List of equipment fete to borrow given, to be organised by Roy Hayward, SV to ring him re arrangements for key for chairs etc.  3) JP told us Big Band pencilled Hall in for concert autumn 2006, Committee happy to have them.

 

AOB   TS had researched costs of buying bouncy castle to rent out but between £700-1500.  In view of this and storage problems committee decided not to proceed.  He also mentioned the weekend of Trafalgar Day, 21-23 October and asked if Hall prepared to put some sort of celebration on.  SV agreed to apply for occasional permission for the Sat night but felt any event/s over the period needed to be arranged jointly with other village groups if there was interest in doing so, Parish Council to pass on info to us.  TS had also made a ramp to get the table tennis tables onto the stage, many thanks to him for undertaking this.

 

 

Next meeting, Tues 5th July 8.00pm  Note will also have August meeting, Tues 2nd 8.00pm

 

Signed Chair/Secretary                                                                     Treasurer

Date                                                                                                    Date