Leigh on Mendip Memorial Hall Committee

 

Minutes of Meeting Held on 6th Dec 2005

 

Present             G. Baker, K. Cockroft, R.Orpwood, C. Peat, T. Schlechter S. Vaughan

 

Apologies/Absent       J. Brewster, S. Cambourne,  J.Phillips

 

Minutes             Of previous meeting were agreed and signed.

 

Treasurer’s Report  KC presented report to the committee.  Profit from Chris James concert around £210 and from Big Band concert likely to be around £190.  The 100 club draw was made;  winners were special draw, £80, Alastair Weston, monthly draw 1st Liz Robinson, £16, 2nd Trevor Abel, £8 and 3rd Jan & Colin Horn, £4.

 

Booking Clerk’s report  CP had produced a draft letter to send to hirers re proposed increases in hire rates due to both inflation, (no increase for nearly 4 yrs) and to cover the new annual licence fee payable by the Hall.  It was agreed to increase most slots by 50p per hr but the business rate by £1, which according to enquiries to other local halls by SV would still be a competitive rate.  Equipment hire rates also to be increased.  For those hirers running a bar an extra £10 charge to be made.  SV had created notice to be put up in Hall re serving of alcohol, CP to laminate. CP also to investigate possibility of applying for Community Licence at later date.

 

KC wished to formally thank Graham Harris and CP for their hard work in obtaining a grant for short mat bowls equipment and this was endorsed by the committee.  SV and TS to meet with Jo and Steve Anderson to decide plan of action re bowling club times and publicity to attract members. 

 

Correspondence  1) Report from Dyno Rod re drains and pipes at rear of building.  Indicated some action necessary to prevent future blockages although not urgent.  KC to ask builder Terry Hamblin if interested in doing the work, possibly at Easter.  Will need to be done when Hall not in use.  2) Notification from Community Council for Somerset that from April 2006 all premises will have to do own fire risk assessment and take steps to reduce or remove risks identified. In connection with this they are running a one day training course, the nearest being in Dinder on 2nd Feb.  SV volunteered to attend.  3) Info leaflet from Charity Commission including details of new website and access to help with completing returns, KC to look at this.  4) Hallmark, Somerset Awards for Village & Community Halls, application form arrived at last.  Would need to pass the Hallmark One Award before applying to the County & District Grant Scheme for any future projects.  SV to complete and return. .

 

Maintenance  1) Large urn declared unsafe at recent PAT test, committee decided against buying a new one.  2) Drainage/Sewage see Dynorod correspondence.  3) Possible extension:  TS had looked at size & cost of full length extension at side of Hall, however using updated figures from Jan this could cost as much as £50,000+ although building may not need to be this large. SV to ask Margaret Loten for approx building costs of their extension but committee also considering alternatives such as another large shed, or a porta cabin,  the latter which could provide fairly comfortable extra space. CP to ask Graham about current grant situation. 4) Car parking still a problem, TS to chase Paul Emery who had offered help, SV to find out what happening re boat, this been there for several weeks.

 

Fund raising    Nothing new discussed.  Committee pleased at success of Big Band Concert, many thanks to John Phillips, but felt would prefer to have a “year off” from this in 2006 and revert to just one autumn event, probably through Take Art.

                 

AOB                None raised

 

Next meeting, Tues  Jan 3rd 8.00pm

                                   

 

Signed Chair/Secretary                                                                     Treasurer

Date                                                                                                    Date