Leigh on Mendip Memorial Hall Committee

 

Minutes of Meeting Held on 22nd May 2006

 

Present ††††††††††† K. Cockroft, C. Peat, T. Schlechter, S. Vaughan

 

Apologies/Absent††††††††††† G.Baker, J. Brewster, S. Cambourne, R.Orpwood

Minutes ††††††††††† Of previous meeting were agreed and signed, having amended date of meeting.

 

Treasurerís ReportIncome still meeting expenditure, KC made transfer from current to savings account. Bill from Rod re beer for quiz still o/s, SV to chase, expected quiz profit around £180. 100 club draw: 1st (£15.20) Alan Dagger, 2nd (£7.60) Mary Mears, 3rd (£3.80) Alastair Weston.

Booking Clerkís†† ReportShort mat bowls finished until September, slots to be kept free to enable re-start. Still some confusion over new evening yoga sessions but first one has taken place and part of a fee for 8 sessions paid.To consider charging business rates if future bookings made as charges £8 a session. Concern expressed over state of kitchen before Olwen Bilkís recent party, could not trace to another hirer, SV to write letter of apology and go in to check state of hall following parties etc

 

Correspondence1) Village Halls directory via CP who noted we are not named in it!SV to contact Community Council for Somerset to see if any explanation.†† 2) Take Art booklet with details of acts available and note from GB re her preference.3) Preliminary plans re extension from Jan Robson.

 

Maintenance1) Still no definite date re sewage pipe work from Terry Hamblin but will fit us in during school holidays. 2) TS reported gap in guttering found when he cleared gutters out.Needs to wait for dry spell before repairing, SV to provide materials for this. 3) Incidents of stones being thrown onto Hall roof reported, TS to try and have a word with those involved 4) Extension: plans show two meeting rooms plus store, SV had informed Jan Robson this incorrect, only one meeting room required.JR had suggested we approach Terry Hamblin to give us rough idea of extra cost of special foundations to take account of tree roots.KC took all info on this to show TH.SV had received reply from Steve Scriven of Somerset County Council re possible removal of trees, has not dismissed idea and says will come out to have a look but has not promised this in near future.†††††

 

Fund raising††† 1) Autumn event: Choosing from Take Artís brochure, committee decided to try for 30ís style nightclub singing/piano act, Shoo Shoo Baby, who sound as if they would provide an extremely entertaining evening.Tickets would be more expensive than usual in Leigh but we felt it worth the try.SV to send form to Take Art having checked they can work on slightly shallower stage than requested.Alternative to be Pip Uttonís musical play about a tribute artist, Only the Lonely. 2) Fete: TS willing to help on car park or other if requested, KC to assist with tea tent, SV, CP and GB already volunteered via WI.3) Noted Sian Williams play booked for 10th Nov.

 

AOB††† 1)Fire risk assessment done on Monday 22nd May, SV, KC and TS.SV informed committee of the findings and discussed the courses of action required to address each point:KC to arrange hire of 2 more extinguishers to be positioned by fire exit doors, CP to add these to floor plan and once they are in place provide an encapsulated plan to put on the notice board, SV to purchase 2 handbells, one for kitchen one for main hall to raise alarm in case of fire, SV also to write Fire Action instructions to go on boards in Hall and kitchen plus Fire Policy, (or just print off latter from disc given on course, SV to check this). 2) Playgroup to accept £50 for new table, KC to let them have cheque. 3) CP to check Childrenís Act again re adult/child ratio for private parties re need to include in booking forms. 4) SV and TS had met with 2 judges re Calor village of year competition,thanks to Shelagh Hayward for also attending, we now wait to see if through to next round which if so would need a proper presentation done!5) SV still to do notice for kitchen warning cooker only for warming up.

Next meeting, Monday 26th June 8.00pm.††††††††††††††††††††††† †††††††††††

 

Signed Chair/Secretary†††††††††††††††††††† ††††††††††††††††††††††† ††††††††††† ††††††††††† Treasurer

Date††††††††††††††† ††††††††††††††††††††††† ††††††††††††††††††††††† ††††††††††††††††††††††† ††††††††††† Date