Leigh on Mendip Memorial Hall Committee

 

Draft Minutes of Meeting Held on 10th December 2008

 

Present               G Baker, S Cambourne, K Cockroft, M Read, R Orpwood, S Vaughan, B Wigmore

 

Apologies/Absent       Vanessa Barns, J Phillips

 

Minutes of previous meeting agreed and signed.

 

Treasurer’s Report  KC explained several items and reported a profit for the Take Art evening of £287.42.  This was slightly inflated due to using some drinks left over from the previous event but still a good result.  The following 100 club draws were made.  Nov: 1st Sue Cambourne 2nd Wendy and Des Worley, 3rd Joan and David Pattison.  Our big Christmas draw was won by Vera Carey.  Dec draw: 1st Roy Haywood, 2nd Brenda Wigmore, 3rd Tony Gould.

 

Booking Clerk’s Report  BW arranged for two forthcoming lots of equipment hire to be handled by members of the committee. SV informed her that Sandrine Valliant had hired 3 small tables, BW to invoice. SV proposed waiving fee for Rec Field’s Christmas Bingo booking as a one off gesture of goodwill as they were trying to re-coup unexpected expense in connection with the replacement of their roof.  There was a discussion about the possibility of increasing the hire rates for the Hall in view of the additional facility of the new meeting room.  KC pointed out there had been a shortfall in our income from hiring over costs for the last two years and felt strongly that the increase should go ahead.  SV felt that the increase in bookings for 2009 for the ALC etc and the dance group would easily cover this shortfall and therefore an increase could not be justified at this point.  She was also concerned that some existing groups already found the charges hard to cover and that if we could cover our costs without an increase we should do so.  The committee decided on a compromise of a review at the June meeting to see if outgoings do seem to be covered. KC wished to register his disagreement with this but was willing to accept the majority decision.

 

Correspondence 1) SV had received some concerns from Mendip re the recent application for variation in the licence and had put together a noise management policy as requested.  2) Booklets received included a guide on fire safety and a booklet on training courses from Vista. 3) The annual charity return had been passed to KC to complete later in the year.

 

Maintenance  1) GB requested the tubs be moved to avoid dips and to line up with extension, SV to arrange. 2) Both GB and SV were concerned about the muddy state of the car park, SV to contact quarry about gravel 3) MR asked on behalf of Parish Council if there was a notice up about responsibility for the car park, SV replied this was at front of Hall and had been there many years. Note this does not absolve the committee from ensuring the car park is not in an unsafe condition.

 

Fund raising   Nothing new planned, will discuss usual April village quiz at later meeting.  MR asked for clarification on the amount of grant outstanding from the Parish Council for the extension, SV to let her have the figure. 

AOB  1) BW had received a complaint about the state of the floor from the Tuesday evening short mat bowls group, SV to contact Toddler group who use Hall on Tuesday mornings. 2) GB asked if a private hire could use the table tennis tables, committee agreed.  3) RO and BW still to arrange to sign mandate.4) SV gave votes of thanks to Clive Baker, Graham Harris and Alf Smith and rather belatedly, Daggs, for all their help with the decoration of the Hall.

 

Next meeting Monday 5th January at 8pm

 

Signed Chair/Secretary                                                                       Treasurer

Date                                                                                                    Date