Leigh on Mendip Memorial Hall Committee

 

Minutes of Meeting Held on 6th May 2009

 

Present               V Barnes, S Cambourne, K Cockroft, R Orpwood, M Read, S Vaughan, B Wigmore

 

Apologies/Absent       G Baker, J Phillips

 

Minutes of previous meeting agreed and signed.

 

Treasurer’s Report KC presented his report to the committee which showed very little activity for the last month.  Two expense claims from committee members were mentioned and the 100 club draw made. A cheque was received on the night via MR from the Parish Council, mainly the remainder of their agreed contribution to the extension build, with a small amount on top which we will put towards the floor re-surfacing.  Draw results 1st Paul Burlison, 2nd John Phillips, 3rd Patricia Simpson.

 

Booking Clerk’s Report This showed good amount of bookings in coming month although VB warned the Fols Bingo on Sat 9th may be cancelled, BW to check.  BW gave the invoice re an equipment hire at the weekend to SV who had agreed to arrange access for the hirers. BW made suggestion of slips for e mail addresses being handed out at Hall events to compile mailing list.

 

Correspondence 1) SV had received notification of £1000 grant from the Grassroots scheme, 2) pack of “Warm Streets” leaflets re grants for householders for insulation etc, to display in Hall 3) copy of Thatch, 4) letter re Hallmark scheme saying we need to apply to renew, main advantage of this appears to be as qualification for some funding sources.  Committee decided not to go ahead with application at the moment, will review at later date.  5) KC had letter re commercial rates.

 

Maintenance  1) Hall wooden floor has been re-surfaced and several complimentary comments received.  2) VB felt side fire door still tricky to use, Daggs will have another look on maintenance day. 3) Clock up in new meeting room, could not put over door as intended as space too small so on opposite wall. 4) Maintenance morning on Sat 9th May from 10 am.  Not as much to do as some years as Hall has been largely re-painted inside. However some touching up of interior paint needed, washing of outside signs and window surrounds, cleaning of inside windows, clearing of roof and gutters plus repair of gutters (Daggs to do latter, already bought pieces).  Apologies from GB and BW unable to attend this session.

 

Fund raising   1) Take Art event, 11th July, “Elvis Still My Heart”.  SV had worked out could fit 60 people in with required “audience on 3 sides of Hall” arrangement (some on stage and in front of it) Suggested sausage supper with salads, choice of sausages.  Asked committee to think about this and any alternative suggestions they may have including for decorations, for next meeting. 3) MR had received info from Fashion Show company and confirmation of Mon Sept 28th. Committee opted for 7.30 start due to end 10.30-11.00pm.  Contract and info sheets given to SV to read and let MR know if OK.  Ticket/poster format suggestion given to RO who will produce these.  Will need 6 models, various specified age groups.  Ideally need everyone on committee to sell 10 tickets to cover minimum of 80 needed to go ahead.  SV pointed out some could be intending selling to same 10 people, however VB confident of good take up from FOLs and Toddler groups, also important to record names in case refunds needed in event of selling less than 80 tickets.  Company stresses to take money up front not rely on paying on door. Clothes will all be available to take away on the night, no ordering involved.

AOB  None

 
 

Next meeting Monday 1st June at 8pm

 

Signed Chair/Secretary                                                                       Treasurer

Date                                                                                                    Date