Information for Open Space Meeting on
24th October 2018 from 7pm
at the Memorial Hall
1 & 2. Follow the links above
- Previous notice for the village consultation on ideas on 20th Nov 2017
- Previous notice following review of ideas (12 Dec 2017)
- Proposal to MDC
- Reasons for the selected proposal
- Proposed location of Open Space to be purchased
- Existing protected Rights of Way and Access
- Proposed position of allotments
- Concerns and Safeguards
- Remaining area of proposed Open Space
- Purpose of the Open Meeting and Agenda
3. Proposal to MDC to claim the Open Space Contribution
consultation within the village of Leigh on Mendip, the Council propose to
purchase land adjacent to the current Recreation ground for the purpose of
providing new allotments for people within the Parish of Leigh on Mendip. The
project will also include fencing of the area, ploughing and harrowing and making
the allotments workable. It is intended
to have at least one allotment, which is accessible for access by anyone
application to MDC has been accepted in principle but neither MDC or
Leigh on Mendip Parish Council have yet signed the agreement.
4. Reasons for this Proposal
a) Need to meet the MDC criteria for "Off-site Open Space in the Community"
b) A Parish Council has a legal requirement to provide allotments when required ( Small Holdings and Allotments Act 1908).
The required number of parish electors have requested an allotment. The
private landowner of the previous allotments behind Bellfield is
reclaiming the land.
c) This was the only offer of land, although a formal offer has not yet been made or accepted.
The land area proposed would allow the requirement of allotments to be
met and protect an additional area of Open Space from any future
housing or light industrial development. It also ensures continuity of
some parking for the village fair and access to further parking with
the landowner's permission.
As the land adjoins the existing Recreation Field, future expansion of
facilities (e.g. children's play area) could be considered. This would
be conditional on planning permission.
f) The land is adjacent to the existing Recreation Field car park.
5. Location Plan
The area shaded blue is the area which the Parish Council is proposing
to purchase as Open Space for the Community. The east (right) boundary
borders on the Recreation Field. 6. Existing protected Rights of Way and Access
boundary with the remaining field would be fenced on the west boundary
with one vehicular access and one pedestrian gate. Vehicular access
would enable access to the retained area and allow Fair car park access
to the far gate (depending on landowner permission). The pedestrian gate
would be for the footpath. 7. Position of Allotments
location, size and number of allotments is to be agreed. The preference
is to site them in
the north west part of the purchased area. The
example shown below could accommodate between 6 and 24 plots
depending on their size.
8. Concerns and Safeguards
- Visual impact - allotments to be postioned on far side of field, 6 ft fencing, only one communal shed
9. Remaining area of proposed Open Space
- Bonfires, litter, smells etc - allotment group to manage, Parish Council to agreed controls and regulations to prevent nuisance
Parish Council is looking for ideas. In the short term it will be a
simple "Open Space" for parishioners to roam as long as they respect
the privacy of the adjacent gardens and remove dog fouling.
Most new facilities would require planning consent.
10. Purpose of the Open Meeting and Agenda
purpose of the meeting is to update progress since the "Ideas"
consultation, provide parishioners with full details of the
proposal, answer any questions, listen to concerns/suggestions and
agree follow-up actions and schedule.
Order of Procedings
- Presentation by the Parish Council
- Questions from the Public
- Summary by Parish Council
- Proposed follow-up actions, process and schedule