MINUTES OF LEIGH ON MENDIP PARISH COUNCIL

MEETING HELD ON 5 SEPTEMBER 2000

IN THE SCHOOL

Councillors present: N Haskin, G Jeanes, M Loten, P Moore, J Wright and A Gould who arrived late.

Apologies were accepted from N Park. District Councillor G Cawood sent her apologies.

MINUTES OF THE LAST MEETING were accepted as a true record and signed.

[A Gould arrived]

MATTERS ARISING

All letters and emails sent, replies awaited.

NH told Councillors that the windows at Hedge End were painted wood.

The Clerk reported that she is being supplied with a computer programme to enable her to update the PC and What’s On parts of the Website – this latter she will do from the events listed in the Parish Magazine.

GJ reported that he had priced kissing gate type stiles but was concerned about what would happen when the field was used for ‘event’ when multiple entry is required. The tenant’s farm manager and the landowner will be consulted. CLERK/GJ

BUS SHELTER – letter of objection from Mr & Mrs Cambourne . The shelter will be put up in the middle of September and the seat moved to the Rec Field.

PLANNING

EXTENSION TO FARMHOUSE AND ERECTION OF DETACHED SWIMMING POOL BUILDING AT WHITEHOLE FARM, WHITEHOLE HILL.

The Clerk had spoken to the planning officer as the plan sent did not include any information about the swimming pool, and appeared to be inaccurate. The officer was planning a visit which when she contacted him again his colleague, he was on holiday, did not think he had made yet. A letter had already been sent to Mendip District Council suggesting that they contact Hanson, owners of Leigh Woods, and the Environment Agency. She asked Councillors to comment on the application that was available.

Councillors questioned Plan 03 which shows an existing lake which they believe has only recently been excavated and an existing building that appears to be labeled ‘swimming pool’. The spring that feeds this lake rises in the corner of Leigh Woods, owned by Hanson, and appears to have been piped over land from which hedges and trees have been cleared. AG said he believed there had been a silted up lake in this area and GJ drew attention to the fact that Halecombe had 2 flumes for monitoring water supply on the farm. It was agreed to ask whether the extraction of water needed permission from the Environment Agency and to draw attention to the existence of the flumes. Concern about any possible effluent from the pool contaminating the Mells River needed to be considered. With regard to the house no objections were raised although concern was expressed as to whether it was to be a family home or for commercial purposes. It was agreed to ask that Coleford PC be consulted. CLERK

CONVERSION OF COACH HOUSE, LEIGH HOUSE refused, more details requested.

SINGLE STOREY EXTENSION, THORNHILLS permission granted.

FINANCE

The Clerk had received verbal and written assurance that the Council will be called for Audit in 2001.

The Hall had requested a grant to buy 2 litter bins costing £70 each. The Clerk had ascertained that no grants were available from Mendip District Council to help with the purchase. JW suggested that a discount may be available if the bins could be purchased through Mendip District Council, and proposed granting £140 to the Hall on the proviso that if a discount was available it would be given to the PC. GJ seconded and a majority agreed. Cheque 331 on the Current a/c was made out, signed & given to NH.

A bill for mowing the churchyard on 11 & 25 August for £55 was presented. ML proposed payment, PM seconded and all agreed. Cheque 13 on the Cemetery a/c was made out and signed. (ML to give to MM)

The Clerk had contacted SALC about timing of pay increases with regard to the salary of the Cemetery Clerk. In local government the policy is to go up one scale point annually. MM has been employed since June 1998 on Spinal Column Point 15 and it was agreed to increase her salary in line with Spinal Column Point 16, this increase will be paid from December 1999. She will be asked to make a yearly claim. CLERK

GJ told Councilors that he and his wife would like to donate a seat to the Cemetery in memory of their daughter, Clare. He will bring details of the design to a PC meeting.

SCHOOL GOVERNOR

The clerk had consulted with the Chairman of Downhead Parish Meeting who had agreed to the nomination of Paul Moore for the post of Minor Local Authority Governor. Papers given to PM.

REPORTS FROM MEETINGS ATTENDED

AG – RFMC Play area fencing proceeding when it is completed the car park will be addressed. JW queried whether the Best Value Policy would apply to the field.

CORRESPONDENCE

It was agreed to write to Mendip Country Practice to congratulate them on their Investors in People award. CLERK

CIRCULATED – SALC documents; Thank you from Dorset |Community Action for 2 copies of the VDS; Local Democracy Week (11-15 Sept) info; Bus Shelter letter; Police consultation plan; DETR "Preparing Community Strategies".

NH reported that he had been consulted by someone from Wiltshire who was collecting the reactions of villages who had prepared Village Design Statements to the way they were treated by Planning Authorities it was agreed that, with hindsight, the effort appeared to have been wasted.

NEXT MEETING – 3 OCTOBER 2000 AT 7.30 IN THE SCHOOL.

AGENDA ITEMS – Millennium Bench.


Back to list of meetings