MINUTES OF

LEIGH ON MENDIP PARISH COUNCIL MEETING

HELD ON 5 DECEMBER 2000 IN THE SCHOOL

Councillors present: G Jeanes, N Haskin, M Loten, P Moore, N Park and

J Wright, Chairman. A Gould arrived late.

MINUTES OF THE LAST MEETING were accepted as a true record & signed.

MATTERS ARISING all letters sent.

Roads & Footpaths Despite a phone call from WS Atkins and a promise to respond to requests nothing has been heard. Write to the District and County Councillors. CLERK

(AG arrived)

Bus Shelter no response from B Garrod, contact A Herbert Mendip Amenities.CLERK

Finance Receipt for Hall rent and thanks for Victim Support Grant received.

Cemetery - Rules say no planting of trees or shrubs but bedding plants not mentioned. It was agreed to clarify the rules. Consult R Thurston, Mendip. CEMETERY CLERK

(District Councillor G Caywood arrived during this item)

Planning Leigh House approved.

PARISH WARDEN SCHEME

Proposal to provide a parish warden to help reduce crime in rural communities has been approved by the Home Office who are making a grant towards it, Mendip need to fund the other 15-20000 a year required. The PC have been asked to contribute 200 in the first year, and more in subsequent years.

Councillors supported the idea of the scheme but were concerned about the cost to Leigh which has only a small Precept and felt it ought to be paid for centrally. Doubts were raised as to the costings information included with the request which appeared to show under funding particularly of the vehicle requirements. It was agreed by a majority to confirm that the Parish would contribute 200 the first year but to point out that only one years funding could be committed and that a Parish the size of ours would have problems giving more. CLERK

 

PLANNING

ERECTION OF 2 HOUSE ON LAND OWNED BY THE LATE F VINING, Leigh Street outline

No objection to building on the plot but the view of the PC that 2 houses constitute over development has not changed.

ERECTION OF DWELLING & REPLACEMENT GARAGE land to rear of Oak Cottage.

Support as long as there is no change in the building materials.

REMOVAL OF HEDGEROW, land at Tadhill. No Comment. CLERK

Notification of minor amendment to permission at Manor Farm involves raising the new garden level to match existing and to remove intervening wall between.

MILLENIUM SEAT next Agenda CLERK

NP raised the question of rate relief for Village Shops with G Cawood. This years he has been asked to provide 2 years of accounts to be sent to Mendip along with the request for rate relief and felt that if the shop is providing a service to the village the personal means of its proprietor ought not to be a factor in deciding the amount of discretionary rate relief. The request would appear to indicate that this aspect of Rate Relief is to be means tested. GC agreed that the committee appeared to be changing the parameters without consulting the whole council.

JW told GC that at the Rural Funding meeting it had emerged that the youth in villages felt they needed a place to meet, where there any funds to provide this? GC felt this could be a task for the village warden and that the youth of Leigh ought to be asked what they wanted. She suggested consulting Ashwick PC who have provided youth facilities and if a facility is needed get its provision included in the Community Plan.

GC left the meeting.

FINANCE

Acceptance of the December Financial Statement was proposed by PM, seconded by NP, agreed by all and signed by the Chairman and Clerk.

AUDIT BILL of 103.20 + 18.06 VAT. TOTAL 121.26 received from Robson Rhodes. JW proposed payment, GJ seconded and all agreed. Current a/c cheque 336 made out and signed. CLERK

The auditor queried the way VAT was recorded, they had accepted it last year without comment. Further information will be sort.

The RFO will be confirmed each year at the AGM.

The audit notice not being correct was due to the fact that once again Leigh had been overlooked when the audit notices had been sent out. Despite assurances that this would not happen again the Clerk would try to ascertain from Coleford when the Audit was to take place. CLERK

PRECEPT - a spending forecast for next financial year was discussed. A future funding request had been received from the Hall. ML expressed her objection to keeping too high a reserve in the bank as no capital expenditure was expected in the next year. NP felt that Parish expenditure was certain to increase as the level of service from the District and County was falling and the onus to provide services might have to be borne by the Parish. Money may be needed in the future for cemetery expenditure. NH proposed a Precept of 2209, NP seconded, the motion was carried by a majority. CLERK

CEMETERY BEST VALUE REVIEW from Mendip District Council

The document had been circulated to Councillors. Discussion took place and concern was expressed about the cost of insurance and the Health and Safety aspects. JW and the Clerk will attend the meeting on 7/12/00.

ML pointed out that a Safety report on the Cemetery was needed. When the Churchyard was closed she and JW were told that a Safety Report on the Closed Churchyard would be done no report had been received. Consult Rob Thurston. CLERK

Flags are needed under the bench donated by the Jeanes family. GJ offered to look for these. ML said seat needed to go on the inventory. GJ & ML

ROADS & FOOTPATHS

The bottom of Stocks Lane has been dug out and the flood has disappeared.

Hedge at LJH trimmed. GJ had been told that the hedge at Knap Hill was on private land and being unable to contact the landowner had written.

REC FIELD

Lease JW had written to the Charity Commission about the lease and had eventually been told to contact someone at the Playing Fields Association who had sent him a draft lease investing the land in the PFA. The PC becoming Custodial Trustees as opposed to the PFA assuming this role was discussed and it was agreed that Councillors did not want to see the control of the field passing out of the village. JW will redo the lease and discuss with the RFMC. JW

HALL REPORT NH

The Head of the School had discussed with NH a proposal to house the Under 5s in the revamped toilet block. As they were one of the stalwarts of the Hall, income would be affected and Lottery money may be harder to obtain. A meeting was planned for 17 January to discuss this matter.

It was agreed that the school would be more viable if home to the Under 5s. Could the Hall host the computer club which was being considered question of security raised.

The Hall Committee had been advised that the car park ought to be signed as a Private Car Park, boundaries defined and it even to be closed to public use.

MEETING ATTENDED

JW attended a Communities First in Rural Somerset meeting The Single Regeneration Budget was giving 50k a year to Mendip. A new Agricultural Land Business official was being appointed by Mendip District Council.

CORRESPONDENCE circulated.

DATE OF NEXT MEETING Tuesday 2 January 2001 in the School at 7.30pm.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


Back to list of meetings