MINUTES OF

LEIGH ON MENDIP PARISH COUNCIL MEETING HELD ON MONDAY 19 JANUARY 2004

 IN THE HALL

 

Councillors present:    P Moore, J Wright, M Taylor,G Casey, G Jeanes and

N Park – Chairman.

 

 

The MINUTES OF THE LAST MEETING were accepted with the date amended to Thursday 8 Jan 2004 and signed.  There was no comment from MT as not present at part of the meeting.

 

MATTERS ARISING-

Letter from MDC re. Taxilink to go on noticeboard.

ACTION - CLERK

 

PLANNING

M Taylor left the meeting at 8.35pm and returned at 8.47pm after this section had been discussed.

Re. Crossways – an email was received from Councillor Gloria Cawood stating that although MDC planning officer had no objection to this planning application discussed by the Parish Council on 8 January MDC Highways dept had objected so planning permission would automatically be refused unless the applicants agree to close the entrance onto the road between Leigh and Stoke St. Michael.

Honeysuckle Cottage – application for conservation rooflights to the rear.  No objection and no comment.

 

FINANCE

Financial report for January deferred to next month.

Current a/c

Hall rent – payment of £9.00 to Memorial Hall  proposed by PM and seconded by JW.  Ch. no. 399 written and signed.

Election fee – payment of £63.15 to Mendip District Council proposed  by GJ and seconded by PM.  Ch. No. 400 written and signed.

Precept – determined at level similar to last year.

 

ROADS AND FOOTPATHS

3 kissing gates still to be installed.  Alan Bristow to be approached if Tony Gould is unable to install these.  Ground conditions have probably contributed to delay.

ACTION – GJ

PM reported on walk of Halecombe Quarry footpath planned by village school. Very good cooperation received from the quarry company.

 

JW reported to Councillor G Cawood that repairs carried out to Stocks Lane are unsatisfactory.

 

Failure of street lighting.  This was discussed and it was felt that the delay of eight days before repairs were carried out was unsatisfactory.  This was reported to Councillor G Cawood.

Extension of 30 mile an hour speed limit to Townsend was discussed.  It was suggested by Councillor G Cawood that it would be advantageous to obtain police backing for this and then a written request for the extension should be submitted.

ACTION – CLERK.

Application by John Davis to divert footpath -  the Parish Council had no objection to the principle but recommended the fitting of kissing gates.

Footpath through Barns Close quarry –  this disused quarry has been sold.  Notices warning that trespassers will be prosecuted and requesting walkers to keep to the footpath have been installed by the new owners who have also purchased both parts of Cooks Wood Quarry.  A meeting had been arranged at Cooks Wood Quarry on 27 January 2004 between the new owners and Councillor Gloria Cawood who undertook to request that a representative from Leigh Parish Council should also attend.

ACTION - JW

 

REC FIELD REPORT   - circulated to members of Parish Council.

 

 

QUARRY MATTERS

Nothing to report.

 

HALL REPORT- none available.

 

PM left the meeting at 8.50pm and returned at 8.53pm

 

MEETINGS – Parish Wardens Scheme meeting was attended on Council’s behalf by Peter Knowles.  Report on this meeting as per Fosseway Magazine which Peter Knowles felt was a comprehensive report.

 

 

 

DATE OF NEXT MEETING –Monday 16 February 2004 at 7.30pm in the Hall.  Future meetings to be held on the third Monday of each month.