MINUTES OF

LEIGH ON MENDIP PARISH COUNCIL MEETING HELD ON MONDAY 16 FEBRUARY 2004

 IN THE HALL

 

Councillors present:    P Moore, J Wright, G Casey, G Jeanes and

N Park – Chairman.

Apologies:                  M Taylor

 

The MINUTES OF THE LAST MEETING were accepted and signed.

 

MATTERS ARISING- none

 

LOW COST HOUSING –Caroline Hughes, Assistant Development manager, and Clive Brown, architect, of Knightstone Housing Group came to the meeting to discuss the location, position and type of possible future low cost housing for the village. Points covered included the history of the identified plot of county owned land, results of the village housing needs survey showing that there was a need for 4-6 low cost houses for rent, the position of these houses on the plot and that the design of the houses should conform to the recommendations of the Village Design Statement.  It was suggested that Caroline Hughes and Clive Brown should return to a future meeting with designs for 2 and 3 bed. houses of single and double storey construction in linear form for the middle section of the plot.  Knightstone staff will mount an exhibition of options for public view.

 

PLANNING

2 Westleigh, Tadhill – an application for two storey side extension (amendment of materials).  This was objected to on the grounds that it contravened the Village Design statement. 

 

FINANCE

Financial report for January accepted. Financial report for February deferred to next month.

Clerk’s salary – Proposal from PM that this should be paid at spine point 20.  Proposal seconded by GJ. 

 

ROADS AND FOOTPATHS

GJ had contacted Tony Gould and will continue to press the matter of the outstanding kissing gates.

A written complaint from A.Robson re. the condition of two stiles was discussed.  Tony Gould will be asked to look into the matter.                    ACTION – GJ

Objections received fron CPRE to the alteration of the position of the footpath over land owned by John Davis mean that the matter is stalled at present.

A complaint from the public that the milestone by LJH is now down on the ground is to be passed on to Somerset Highways.                                 ACTION - CLERK

A request was received from the audience that parking around the school and the state of the pavements should be an agenda item for the next meeting.  It was decided that the views of the school governors be sought on this matter.                        ACTION - PM

30 miles an hour limit extension to Townsend – this was discussed and decided that the Chairman should write to Somerset County Council requesting this.

                                                                                                            ACTION – NP

 

CEMETERY 

 Mowing contract for 2004/5. Quotes to be obtained from D Jarvis and one other.

Complaint re. overgrowing shrubs in the south east corner of the churchyard.  It was decided to ask D Jarvis for a quote to cut these back.            ACTION - CLERK

                       

REC FIELD REPORT  

The Burns night supper was a successful fundraiser and held this year in the village hall due to numbers attending.

Problems have been experienced with a vehicle on the recreational field at night.

A grant to the recreation field management committee of £300 was agreed for 2004/5 but will need to be reviewed annually.

 

QUARRY MATTERS

Barns Close Quarry – complaints had been received from the general public about the noise nuisance of motor cyclists in the quarry both at weekends and weekday evenings.  There is no notice on the main quarry to deter this Gloria Cawood and JW reported on the meeting held on 27 Jan 2004 with the new owner of Barns Wood Quarry who is Mr R Massey.

 

HALL REPORT

Notice was given of the quiz evening planned for May.

 

CORRESPONDENCE

The following items were received and circulated.

Letter from Somerset County Council re. School Organisation plan.

Note from Somerset Highways re. closure of road. FRH/60 in Coleford.

Letter re. stiles from A Robson.

Letter and booklet from MDC re. rural exception sites.

Letter from Shepton 21group.

Letter from MDC re. Area Board and Standards Committee.

Report from MDC – Your Mendip.

Letter from MP David Heath with re. his surgeries.

SALC notification of meeting on 1 March 2004.

 

DATE OF NEXT MEETING –Monday 15 March 2004 at 7.30pm in the Hall.  Future meetings to be held on the third Monday of each month.