MINUTES

 

LEIGH ON MENDIP PARISH COUNCIL MEETING

held on 16th June 2008

at 7.30pm in the Memorial Hall

 

 

Councillors Present

Chris Cudmore, Chairman (CC), Frank Higgins (FH), Rose Martin (RM) Marsha Read (MR), Ty Schlechter (TS), Alf Smith (AS), Vicki Taylor (VT).

Clerk, Sandrine Vaillant (SV).

 

The meeting was attended by 1 parishioner (one representative of the Memorial Hall Committee), Phil Ham (PH) and Claire Fleming (CF), District Councillors.

 

 

 

 

 

Action

1.0

Apologies

 

1.1

Late apologies were received from Ty Schlechter.
Apologies were received from Gloria Cawood.

 

 

 

 

2.0

Minutes of the last meeting & matters arising

 

 

 

 

2.1

The minutes of the meeting held on 21st April 2008 were accepted as a true and accurate record of the meeting.

 

 

 

 

2.2

(2.5) Learning points from Clerk and new Councillors training. RM to include notes in the correspondence file. Action complete.

 

 

 

 

2.3

(2.6) S106 Agreement. Clerk to liaise with MDC to obtain full agreement with appendix. TS to obtain copy of S106 for Batcombe development, which is a good example to base future agreements on.

 

 

SV/TS

 

 

 

2.4

(2.14) Policies. Draft Freedom of Information and Document Retention policies to be circulated for review.

 

SV

 

 

 

2.5

(5.3) Assets & Risk Audits Report - Report for audit carried out in March tabled. To be circulated for review.

 

SV

 

 

 

2.6

(5.5) S137 allowance is £5.86 per habitant. Number of electors still to be obtained from MDC (Matthew Hillier).

 
SV

 

 

 

2.7

(5.6) S137 expenditure. Clerk clarified that grants were not to be entered under S137 expenditure. (Sections F23 and F29 of Clerks Manual).

 

 

 

 

2.8

(5.7) Grants Application Form. Still to be looked at. Next month.

FH

 

 

 


 

2.9

VAT for lawnmower purchased for Rec Field. Clerk to find out if VAT can be claimed.

 

SV

 

 

 

2.10

(10.1) Bell Inn Licensing Hours. Chairman attended. Part of agreement of licence was for the landlord/licence holder/premises supervisor to organise a quarterly meeting to discuss matters arising from the extended opening hours. FH agreed to follow up.

 

 

 

FH

 

 

 

2.11

(11.2) Footpath from school to Barnes Close Quarry. Flowers and verges have been cut back. FH to contact Connaught to ask them to extend the road sweeping to the end of that path.

 

 

FH

 

 

 

 

Ty joins meeting.

 

 

 

 

2.12

The minutes of the APCM held on 19th May 2008 were also accepted as a true and accurate record of the meeting.

 

 

 

 

3.0

Local Initiatives Budget

 

 

 

 

3.1

VT reported on East Mendip Community Partnership meeting attended. Highlights are as follows:

 

           Possibility to organise driver awareness sessions for the village free of charge.

           Local Initiatives Budget of £15,000 held by County Councillors, which applications for projects of £3,000 or more. Deadline is 18th July 2008.

           Community Budget. County County small grant of £5,000 for bids of around £50.

 

 

 

 

3.2

Discussion ensued regarding possible ideas for projects. Details have been circulated to village groups who may wish to apply for grants.

 

 

 

 

 

Parishioner leaves meeting

 

 

 

 

4.0

District Councillors Reports

 

 

 

 

4.1

PH presented report.

        Pioneer Somerset.  Somerset working together to create savings to meet reducing funds awarded from local government.

        PCSO meeting where lack of presence of PCSOs was highlighted.

        Travellers in Barnes Close. PH has had success in moving travellers off Mells. PCSO to be involved to move travellers from Barnes Close.

 

 

 

 

4.2

CF stressed that verges and hedges had been cut on time this year, which was an improvement on previous years. Chairman commented that only the class 3 roads had been completed and that the contractors had until the end of July to complete the cutting on class 4 lanes.

 

 

 

 

5.0

Finance

 

 

 

 

5.1

Financial statements.  Statement to 15th June 2008 agreed and signed.

 

 

 

 

5.2

End of Year account / Annual Return.  Agreed and signed. FH to purchase £30 voucher for Internal Auditor. All agreed.

 

 

 

 

5.3

Clerk was reminded to ask Rec Field for £1 annual rent of Recreation Field.

 

SV

 

 

 

5.4

Risk Assessment Report.   See 2.5 above.

 

 

 

 

5.5

Assets Review.  Agreed and signed with end of year audit papers.

 

 

 

 

5.6

Transfer of Monies to NS&I.  It was agreed not to transfer monies as grant of £2,000 to Memorial Hall needs to be paid shortly.

 

 

 

 

5.7

Clerks Salary.  Invoice dated 16.06.08 agreed and cheque #539 signed and issued.

 

 

 

 

5.8

SALC Invoice. Invoice for Accountancy update training agreed and cheque #537 signed and issued.

 

 

 

 

5.9

Payment of Invoice for Swearing Red Field Declaration.  Invoice agreed and cheque #538 signed and issued.

 

 

 

 

5.10

WRVS Support Care.  Grant request rejected.

 

 

 

 

5.11

Life Education Centres, Somerset.  Grant request rejected as they did not visit the school this year. Encouraged to reapply next year if they are going to run sessions at the school.

 

 

 

 

5.12

Thatch Magazine.  It was unanimously agreed to renew the subscription. Cheque #540 signed and issued.

 

 

 

 

6.0

Cemetery

 

 

 

 

6.1

Mowing Invoice.  Invoice #66 for cutting on 2nd and 16th May agreed. Cheque #84 signed and issued.

 

 

 

 

6.2

Inspection reports.  Chairman advised that MDC had inspected churchyard, trees, graves, etc. Report included in correspondence file.

 

 

 

 

7.0

Planning update

 

 

 

 

7.1

Chairman updated the council on recently granted planning proposals (060682/008  Oak Cottage, Leigh Street) and withdrawn proposals (077118/005  Recreation Field).

 

 

 

 

7.2

Application 120321/001 Raglan, Leigh Street.  It was unanimously agreed to leave the decision to the planning officer, bringing the following to his attention:

          Ensure adequate parking is provided.

          Seems to be overlooking into Park Hayes and existing gardens at the back.

          Design Statement states site is protected by existing hedging (conifers and trees),  this has been removed.

          Garage door to be timber,  not shown on plans.

          Trees shown on survey have already been cut.

 

 

 

 

8.0

Rec Field

 

 

 

 

8.1

Easement for the 4 houses in front of Rec Field car park (acquisition of right of way). FH confirmed this risk had already been identified and that residents had been sent letters advising them that they were allowed to create access to/from the car park but that they had no right to claim this land in the future. Check parish minutes and find the letters written. Send reminder letter annually.

 

 

 

 

 

SV

 

 

 

8.2

Grant request for roofing project.  Chairman updated PC to say that we had budgeted a grant of £500 this year for the Rec Field and the PC supported the work on the roof. Letter issued to Rec Field. Copy in correspondence file.

 

 

 

SV

 

 

 

 

FH leaves meeting.

 

 

 

 

9.0

East Mendip Partnership Grant

 

 

 

 

9.1

It was agreed to divide the grant of £1,800 as follows: £800 to welcome pack, £800 for Youth Club and £200 for bulbs.

 

 

 

 

10.0

Affordable Housing Site Identification Project

 

 

 

 

10.1

The PC had been requested to identify publicly owned land which could potentially be used for Affordable Housing. County Council owned land adjacent to the Meadows was agreed to be identified with the constraint that any development needs to be in keeping with the villages linear development (Village Design Statement) and recognises the highway safety issues near the junction of Stocks Lane. Clerk to reply.

 

 

 

 

 

SV

 

 

 

11.0

Time to Plan Initiative

 

 

 

 

11.1

Parish Forum attended by Chairman and AS on 9th June. Good interactive evening. Chairman and AS reported on ideas brought up at the meeting by parishes: social housing for local people/more transparency, public transport which ties in with working people, mobile retailing outlets, risk assessments on unclassified road markings, improved broadband speed to villages, enabling contract to support local shops, pilot scheme of kerbside recycling and problems with 2 hour limit on car park at Townsend, Shepton Mallet.

 

 

 

 

12.0

Removal of Public Telephone Box

 

 

 

 

12.1

FH does not think we can do anything to retain public phone box.
VH would be prepared to take on maintenance of it as a village icon.

 

 

 

 

12.2

PH reported that Coleford had successfully fought to keep their phone box and advised to put a bid to keep it, especially on H&S grounds. Clerk to contact Coleford Clerk to obtain background information. Chairman to submit a case to retain it.

 

 

 

SV/CC

 

 

 

13.0

Councillors Reports

 

 

 

 

13.1

PCSO.  Report 10th June 2008 circulated in correspondence file. Minutes of 10th June circulated: PCSO Steering Group Chairman has resigned.

 

 

 

 

13.2

Footpaths.  Reported missing gate at Sparks Field, which has been replaced by MDC that same afternoon. Thanks were extended to Ian Snook who put up temporary gate, and furthermore cleared hedges around the gate.

 

 

 

 

 

Trench on footpath at Barn Close quarry crosses the path and cannot be crossed on foot. TS to contact owner to make good of the path.

 

TS

 

 

 

 

Halecombe Quarry.  Chairman queried a permissive path identified at the meeting with Tarmac on 4th June which runs around the southwest outside edge of the bund. TS to investigate.

 

 

TS

 

 

 

13.3

Highways.  nothing to report.

 

 

 

 

13.4

Recreation Field.  new treasurer appointed: Barry Gould. Minutes of last meeting included in correspondence file.

 

 

 

 

13.5

Memorial Hall.  Thanked the Council for grant of £2,000. Hedge outside village hall overgrown. Deeds to be viewed to check boundary and assess who is responsible for cutting.

 

 

TS/SV

 

 

 

13.5.1

School to contact pub to gain authorisation to use pub car park at school time. VT to raise with school and pub.

 

VT

 

 

 

13.5.2

Mice racing has been reorganised for 2nd August 2008.

 

 

 

 

13.6

School.  Nothing to report.

 

 

 

 

13.7

SALC.  CC and Alf attended on 2nd June. Chairman proposed that AS become SALC representative. AS accepted and all agreed.

 

 

 

 

13.7.1

Chairman reported on forthcoming commencement orders concerning Quality Councils and the power of wellbeing. SALC was proposing a briefing event on 4th September at Nunney Village Hall depending on the legislation being passed in July. An issue regarding the liability of repairs to sewer pipes on private properties was raised. PH had been involved with this at Coleford. SALC AGM is on 27th Sept at Woolavington.

 

 

 

 

13.8

Quarry.  PC visited the quarry on 4th June, by invitation from Tarmac. A Quarry Liaison Meeting (chaired by GC) is to be arranged for a date in Oct/Nov.

 

 

 

 

14.0

Meetings Attended / To be attended

 

 

 

 

14.1

VT and Rose. East Mendip Community Partnership agendas from Fiona Lyons to be forwarded to VT and RM.

 

 

 

 

15.0

Correspondence

 

 

 

 

 

         Rec Field Minutes of Meeting 2.06.08

         PCSO report & Mendip Steering Group Meeting Minutes 10.06.08

         Withdrawal of planning application 077118/005  Rec Field.

         Planning Consent 060682/008  Oak Cottage, Leigh Street.

         Churchyard Maintenance, report on inspection.

         SCC  Local Initiatives Budget for County Councillors.

         Bath & Wells Diocesan Board of Finance  Post Office closures

         SCC Highways Newsletter, May 2008.

         East Mendip Community Partnership Minutes 03.06.08

         Mendip Strategic Partnership Minutes 20.05.08

         MDC Strategic Housing Land Availability Assessment, March 2008

         MDC dispensations: Guidance for Town and Parish Councils in Mendip

         Parishes Information Bulletin, June & July 2008.

         SALC Power of Well Being Meeting.

         The Playing Field, Spring 2008.

         Clerks & Councils Direct, July 2008.

         The Clerk, July 2008

         Documentation from Environment Agency re. Floods.

         Western Power Distribution Business Plan 20102015.

 

 

 

 

14.0

Date & time of next meeting

 

 

 

 

14.1

The next meeting will be held on 21st July 2008, at 7.30pm in the Memorial Hall.