MINUTES

 

LEIGH ON MENDIP PARISH COUNCIL MEETING

held on 21st July 2008

 at 7.30pm in the Memorial Hall

 

 

Councillors Present

Chris Cudmore – Chairman (CC), Rose Martin (RM), Ty Schlechter (TS), Alf Smith (AS), Vicki Taylor (VT).

Clerk – Sandrine Vaillant (SV).

 

The meeting was attended by 1 parishioner.

 

 

 

 

 

Action

1.0

Apologies

 

1.1

Late apologies were received from Ty Schlechter.
Apologies were received from Frank Higgins, Marsha Read and Gloria Cawood.

 

 

 

 

2.0

Minutes of the last meeting & matters arising

 

 

 

 

2.1

The minutes of the meeting held on 16th June 2008 were accepted as a true and accurate record of the meeting.

 

 

 

 

2.2

(2.3) S106 Agreement – Agreements have been obtained and are circulating in the correspondence file. Action complete.

 

 

 

 

2.3

(2.4) Freedom of Information and Document Retention policies – See 10.0. Action complete.

 

 

 

 

2.4

(2.5) Assets & Risk Audits Report – Action complete.

 

 

 

 

2.5

(2.6) S137 allowance is £2,420.18 (£5.86 x 413 habitants). Action Complete.

 

 

 

 

2.6

(2.8) Grants Application Form – Draft in correspondence file. To be agreed at September meeting. Ongoing.

 

 

 

 

2.7

(2.9) VAT for lawnmower purchased for Rec Field – Clerk to contact new Rec Field treasurer.

 

SV

 

 

 

2.8

(2.10) Bell Inn Licensing Hours – To be reviewed at September meeting. Ongoing.

 

FH

 

 

 


 

2.9

(2.11) Footpath from school to Barnclose<!--[endif]--> Quarry – To be reviewed next month, including all pavements in the village (Sparks Field and Rec Field). Ongoing.

 

 

FH

 

 

 

 

TS joins meeting.

 

 

 

 

2.10

(5.3) Rent from the Rec Field has been received. Action Complete.

 

 

 

 

2.11

(6.2) Parish council agreed to pay grant of £2,000 now that the works have started. Clerk to raise cheque.

 

SV

 

 

 

2.12

(8.1) Easement for the 4 houses in front of Rec Field car park (acquisition of right of way) – Copy of historic correspondence was circulated. Clerk to issue letters with amendments suggested and agreed at the meeting.

 

 

SV

 

 

 

2.13

 

(8.2) Grant request for Rec Field roofing project – Letter was issued to David Pattison. Copy in correspondence file.

 
 

 

 

 

2.14

(10.1) Affordable Housing Site Identification Project – Action completed.

 

 

 

 

2.15

(12.2) Removal of Public Phone Box – After further examination, it was identified the village Phone Box in question was not located in the village. Chairman tabled copy of MDC’s response for information. Action complete.

 

 

 

 

2.16

(13.2) Trench on footpath at Barnclose quarry – Owner has been asked to make good of path as soon as possible. Ongoing. 

 

TS

 

 

 

2.17

(13.2) Halecombe Quarry – Chairman queried a permissive path identified at the meeting with Tarmac on 4th June which runs around the southwest outside edge of the bund. Ongoing.

 

 

TS

 

 

 

2.18

(13.5) Overgrown hedge outside village hall – It is believed deeds are with the solicitors. Sue Vaughan to be contacted to organise ‘working party’.

 

TS

 

 

 

2.19

(13.5.1) School to contact pub to gain authorisation to use pub car park at school time. To be raised with the school on 23/07/08.

 

VT

 

 

 

3.0

Report on Village Plastic & Cardboard Recycling Trial

 

 

 

 

3.1

GH clarified the full scope of items being collected (printer cartridges, mobile phones and glasses).

 

 

 

 

3.2

GH presented report and updated about cardboard and plastic recycling trial, which started on 8th March, and which will run every fortnight until 20th August 2008. Full report circulating in the correspondence file. 

 

 

 

 


 

3.3

Council thanked the organisers for their hard work in organising, obtaining all licences and implementing the trial. Discussion followed and vote took place 4 against 1 to cancel funding for a further period of recycling. It was felt that there was not a high enough proportion of parishioners participating to justify a further grant but it was hoped that the trial kerbside collection of plastic and cardboard by MDC would soon reach the village.

 

 

 

 

 

 

4.0

District Councillors’ Reports

 

 

 

 

4.1

No councillors in attendance. GC’s report is circulating in correspondence file.

 

 

 

 

4.2

Chairman to email District Councillors to seek further information/interim results following the land survey.

 

CC

 

 

 

5.0

Finance

 

 

 

 

5.1

Financial statements – Statement to 20th July 2008 agreed and signed. 

 

 

 

 

5.2

SV to chase up MDC regarding grant of £1,800 which has not come through.

 

SV

 

 

 

5.3

Risk Assessment – Rec Field to ensure various clubs attending and hiring the building have appropriate insurance. The following actions are still to be completed:-

 

·           Signs for car par liability. Yes in hall, not in Rec Field.

·           Check that R. Cambourne has public liability insurance.

·           SV to check position as self-employed.

·           Declaration of interests – SV to distribute previous forms and blank forms to be filled.

 

 

 

 

RM

SV

SV

 

SV

 

 

 

5.3.1

PCSO to be advised to monitor activity and ‘hotspots’ in the village.

TS

 

 

 

5.4

Expenses from Internal Auditor – Invoice dated 06.06.08 was agreed, cheque #541 agreed and signed.

 

 

 

 

6.0

Cemetery

 

 

 

 

6.1

Mowing Invoice – Invoice #69 for cutting on 30th May and 13th June was agreed. Cheque #84 signed and issued.

 

 

 

 

7.0

Planning update

 

 

 

 

7.1

Chairman updated the council on recently granted planning proposals (120321/001 - Raglan, Leigh Street) and minor amendments to granted proposals (108035/003 – Ivy Cottage, Leigh Street).

 

 

 

 

8.0

Public Path Diversion Order (FR8/34 part, Townsend Farm)

 

 

 

 

8.1

Unanimously agreed to the change. No action required.

 

 

 

 

9.0

Regeneration Fund 2009/2010 – East Mendip

 

 

 

 

9.1

To be circulated in correspondence file for review at next meeting.

 

 

 

 

9.2

One idea was to obtain funding to replace welcome signs to the village. Clerk to contact MDC to ascertain responsibility for maintaining the signs, possibility to have them renewed, and if so, choice available. Also to include ‘Calor Village of the Year 2007’. Also, RM to speak to local stonemason to see how much it would cost to have three signs made for entrances to the village.

 

 

 

 

 

RM/SV

 

 

 

10.0

Freedom of Information and Document Retention Policies

 

 

 

 

10.1

To be adopted with amendments discussed. Clerk to implement.

SV

 

 

 

11.0

Service to the Community Award

 

 

 

 

11.1

PC discussed a nomination.

 

 

 

 

12.0

Ringing in the Olympics in the South West

 

 

 

 

12.1

No objection. Correspondence to be passed to the bell ringers.

CC

 

 

 

13.0

Councillors Reports

 

 

 

 

13.1

PCSO – bimonthly report. Clerk to issue letter of thanks to Peter Knowles for his work.

 

SV

 

 

 

13.2

Footpaths – Nothing further to report.

 

 

 

 

13.3

Highways – Chase up white lining at Townsend.

FH

 

 

 

13.4

Recreation Field – Meeting held, minutes to follow. New Cricket Club representative appointed.

 

 

 

 

13.5

Memorial Hall – Clerk advised that SALC grant had been awarded to hall.

 

 

 

 

13.6

School – Nothing to report.

 

 

 

 

13.7

SALC – Next meeting in September.

 

 

 

 

13.8

Quarry – Awaiting for Gloria to set up meeting.

 

 

 

 

14.0

Meetings Attended / To be attended

 

 

 

 

14.1

Meetings to be attended:-

5th August – East Mendip Community Partnership, Frome.

4th September – SALC briefing on new legislation.

24th September – Training course for Code of Conduct.

24th September – East Mendip Neighbourhood Forum,

 

 

 

 

15.0

Correspondence

 

 

 

 

 

·           Proposed Grant Application Form;

·           Batcombe and Knightstone HA Section 106 Agreements;

·           Recycling Report;

·           Somerset’s Community Safety Newsletter, Summer 2008 & Special Edition;

·           Homefinder leaflet;

·           MDC response to proposed removal of public phone boxes;

·           Planning Application Permission (Raglan, Leigh Street);

·           Planning – Minor amendment to Ivy Cottage;

·           Public Path Diversion Order letter & plan;

·           Diagram of ‘Community Engagements across Mendip’;

·           Cllr Gloria Cawood’s Report to Leigh On Mendip, 1st July 2008;

·           Thatch Magazine, Summer 2008;

·           RM’s notes from New Councillor Training Session, July 2007.

 

 

 

 

14.0

Date & time of next meeting

 

 

 

 

14.1

It was agreed that an August meeting was not necessary. The next meeting will be held on 15th September 2008, at 7.30pm in the Memorial Hall.