DRAFT MINUTES

 

LEIGH ON MENDIP PARISH COUNCIL MEETING

held on 19th January 2009

 at 7.30pm in the Memorial Hall, Committee Room

 

 

Councillors Present

Chris Cudmore – Chairman (CC), Frank Higgins (FH), Rose Martin (RM), Ty Schlechter (TS), Alf Smith (AS).

Clerk – Sandrine Vaillant (SV).

 

The meeting was attended by Claire Fleming (CF) and Philip Ham (PH), District Councillors, who joined towards the end of the meeting.

 

 

 

 

 

Action

1.0

Apologies

 

 

 

 

1.1

Late apologies were received from Ty Schlechter.

Apologies were received from Marsha Read and Vicki Taylor, who was attending a meeting at MDC offices on behalf of the Council. Apologies were also received from Gloria Cawood.

 

 

 

 

2.0

Declaration of Interest

 

 

 

 

2.1

No interest declared.

 

 

 

 

3.0

Minutes of the last meeting & matters arising

 

 

 

 

3.1

The minutes of the meeting held on 15th December had two omissions as follows:

·   Councillor Ty Schlechter announced his intention to retire from the Council at the end of the financial year (end of March 2009).

·   Cheque #553 was signed and issued to settle invoice for bulb purchase (monies from East Mendip Community Grant)

 

 

 

 

3.2

(3.7) Declaration of Interest – All forms completed and returned. Clerk to forward to Monitoring Officer at MDC. Action complete.

 

SV

 

 

 

3.3

(3.12) Invoice for Election – See item 5.3 below. Action complete.

 

 

 

 

3.4

(4.1 minutes of 15/09/08) Housing – See 4.2 below. Action complete.

 

 

 

 

3.5

(3.11) Quote for footpaths – See 10.2.1 Footpaths report below. Action complete.

 

 

 

 

3.6

(3.12) Welcome pack – VT to report at February meeting.

VT

 

 

 

4.0

District/County Councillors’ Reports

 

 

 

 

4.1

GC January report was circulated.

 

 

 

District Councillors reports have been reported at their usual place in the minutes, although District Councillors were only able to join after attending another meeting in Shepton Mallet and reported after Councillors reports.

 

 

4.2

Claire Fleming

·      CF reported on developments at Cookswood Quarry, but stated that no planning decisions had been made. CF and PH to keep council updated.

·      The importance to reply to the ‘Time to Plan’ consultation was stressed.

·      Advised on possible forthcoming consultation on S106 Agreements (relating to Affordable Housing).

·      CF and PH to attend a working group on self build. 

 

 

 

 

4.3

Philip Ham

·      Reported on planning visit at Whitehole Farm.

·      Advised of meeting at Beckington ‘Keeping your house warm’ on 24th February.

 

 

 

 

5.0

Finance

 

 

 

 

5.1

Financial statements – Statement to 18th January 2009 was agreed and signed. 

 

 

 

 

5.2

SLCC Membership Renewal – Cheque #557 agreed and signed.

 

 

 

TS joins meeting.

 

 

5.3

Invoice for May 2007 Elections (issue of cheque and letter) – Cheque #558 signed as agreed at December meeting. Final draft letter to be circulated before issue.

 

SV

 

 

 

6.0

Cemetery 

 

 

 

 

6.1

Quotations for the mowing contract and hedge trimming for the next three years to be obtained for review at February meeting.

 

SV

 

 

 

6.2

Purchase of land for Cemetery extension – Following discussion, it was agreed to put a notice up on the notice boards and website informing the public that the Council is looking at purchasing some land to extend the cemetery. Item to be repeated on the agenda. Clerk to enquire about land at the back of the The Meadows (affordable houses), which belongs to MDC.

 

 

 

 

SV

 

 

 

7.0

Planning Applications / Updates

 

 

 

 

7.1

Application 120712/000; Herbert Dunn House – Following very late receipt of planning application before the meeting, Clerk to put notices up on notice boards advising the public that a decision would be made by 2nd February. Members of the public wishing to view or comment on the plans to contact the Clerk before 2nd February.

 

 

 

SV

 

 

 

7.2

Time to Plan – Discussion took place. It was agreed that given the large amount of information, the Council could only comment on things that pertained to villages. It was agreed to support option 12d (Allow development in all 56 villages identified in the current Local Plan with higher levels of development in 28 serviced villages which have a school, a daily bus service to a nearby town and either a shop or village hall).

 

 

 

 

8.0

Travellers

 

 

 

 

8.1

It was agreed to put this item on the agenda every quarter to be prepared for the risk of trespass on land within the parish by travellers at specific times of the year (e.g. Glastonbury festival). This would allow time for notices to land owners asking to secure access to their properties to be displayed, etc...

 

 

 

 

9.0

Development of Mental Health Services in Mendip & Bridgewater

 

 

 

 

9.1

Mendip proposals to be discussed at February meeting.

 

 

 

 

10.0

Councillors Reports

 

 

 

 

10.1

PCSO – Report to be circulated. Nothing pertaining to the village to report.

 

 

 

 

10.2

Footpaths – Agreement to a contract with B. Loten to draw up a stiles report, flagging stiles that need attention for the Council to act upon.

 

 

 

 

10.3

Highways - FH has started investigating options for new village signs.

 

 

 

CF and PH join meeting.

 

 

10.3.1

Pavement from village towards Soho unswept - A ‘manual’ sweep of the pavement will be undertaken by the Contractor when mechanical sweeping takes place on 27th January.

 

 

 

 

10.4

Recreation Field – Committee to decide whether to cut or layer the hedge in the Rec Field. PH advised that grants were available if they left it to grow and layered it in the Autumn (otherwise the deadline for cutting hedges is 28th February 2009)

 

 

 

 

10.4.1

Building improvement – RM advised on approximate costs for the rewiring (£1,500) and insulation (£700).

 

 

 

 

10.4.2

Fundraising event - Barn Dance on 14th March 2009 at the Memorial Hall.

 

 

 

 

10.4.3

RM advised that £500 had been secured from the Community Budget for the Youth Club, which will help for the purchase of tables.

 

 

 

 

10.5

Memorial Hall – MR to report next month.

 

 

 

 

10.6

School – SV advised that Governors had not met since the December meeting. VT to report at next meeting.

 

 

 

 

10.7

SALC – No meeting held. Nothing to report.

 

 

 

 

10.8

Quarry – Halecombe Quarry Liaison Meeting organised for 22nd January 2009, 6.30pm. AS and FH to attend.

 

 

 

 

11.0

Meetings Attended / To be attended

 

 

 

 

11.1

Meetings attended:-

14th January – SCC Question Time event in Shepton. CF attended and reported.

 

 

 

 

11.2

Meetings to be attended:-

East Mendip Community Partnership – 3rd February. RM going.

 

 

 

 

12.0

Correspondence

 

 

 

 

12.1

The Bell Inn – Temporary tenants scheduled to leave on 24th February. FH reported that interest in running the pub had been shown. FH to maintain contact with Wadworths and the Landlord and identify any action required by the Parish Council.

 

 

FH

 

 

 

12.2

RM advised that an event had been organised on Sunday 25th January at the Memorial Hall for parishioners to collect bulbs bought by the Parish Council and plant within the village. Clerk to display notices.

 

 

SV

 

 

 

12.3

Clerk to advertise for a co-opted Parish Councillor to replace TS in April.

SV

 

 

 

12.4

·         Somerset Art Week request for Grant

·         Written letter of resignation from TS

·         Thank you letter from Age Concern Frome

·         Gloria Cawood January 09 Report

·         PCSO report

·         Somerset NHS Join Strategic Needs Assessment

·         Proposal papers for the development of mental health services in Mendip and Bridgewater.

·         Minutes of Mendip Strategic Partnership, December 08

·         December/Winter 08 newsletters from: Highways, Thatch Magazine, Your Mendip

·         January 09 newsletters from: Parishes Information Bulletin, the Clerk, Clerks & Councils Direct, Your Somerset,

·         Leigh On Mendip a History

 

 

 

 

13.0

Date & time of next meeting

 

 

 

 

13.1

The next meeting will be held on 16th February 2009, at 7.30pm in the Memorial Hall (Committee Room).