DRAFT

 

MINUTES

 

LEIGH ON MENDIP PARISH COUNCIL MEETING

held on 15th June 2009

 at 7.30pm in the Memorial Hall, Committee Room

 

 

Councillors Present

Chris Cudmore – Chairman (CC), Frank Higgins (FH), Rose Martin (RM), Matthew Odolphie (MO) and Vicki Taylor (VT).

Clerk – Sandrine Vaillant (SV).

 

The meeting was attended in part by Philip Ham (PH), District Councillor.

 

 

 

 

 

Action

1.0

Apologies

 

 

 

 

1.1

Apologies were received from Marsh Read and Alf Smith.

PH presented apologies for Claire Fleming.

 

 

 

 

2.0

Declaration of Interest

 

 

 

 

2.1

No interest was declared.

 

 

 

 

3.0

Minutes of the last meeting & matters arising (including matters arising from AGM)

 

 

 

 

3.1

The minutes of the meeting held on 20th April 2009 were agreed as a true and accurate record of the meeting held.

 

 

 

 

3.2

(3.5) Communication with Villagers – Clerk to issue monthly e-newsletter.

SV

 

 

 

3.3

(3.7) Payment of election costs – Full payment of the invoice has been made. Action complete.

 

 

 

 

3.4

(3.8) Website Domain Name Renewal – Draft invoice issued with payment. Action complete. SV to chase return of signed invoice.

 

SV

 

 

 

3.5

(11.7) Clerk to check that all newsletters and welcome packs have been distributed.

SV

 

 

 

 

It was noted that new tenants had moved into Manor House. Clerk to drop welcome pack.

SV

 

 

 

3.6

(11.5.1) Copy of Rec. Field lease issued to RM. Action complete.

 

 

 

 

3.7

(11.8) Parking outside school – FH to received invitation from Premises and H&S Committee from the school. SV to check with Sarah Claxton.

 

SV

 

 

 

 

Matters arising from AGM

 

 

 

 

3.8

(9.1) Footpath at Pitten House – Reply issued to MDC. SV to follow up.

SV

 

 

 

3.9

(5.2) Telephone Box – Clerk reported box not working. Awaiting action from BT.

SV

 

 

 

4.0

Co-option of Parish Councillor

 

 

 

 

4.1

Matthew Odolphie was introduced to the council. FH proposed that he be co-opted as parish councillor, RM seconded, unanimously agreed. The relevant form was signed.

 

 

 

 

 

Phil Ham joins meeting.

 

 

 

 

5.0

District/County Councillors’ Reports

 

 

 

 

5.1

PH presented a brief report of recent activities at District Council, which was dominated by the elections and resulting restructuring programme.

 

 

 

 

5.2

PH advised that a staff telephone directory from MDC had been published. Clerk to obtain.

 

SV

 

 

 

5.3

PH pointed out the ‘Small Works’ grants for village halls. Village Hall Grants, for which the closing date for applications is 31st July. SV to email to Sue Vaughan.

 

SV

 

 

 

5.4

PH offered to chase up answers requested by CC from MDC, regarding Special Expenses added to council tax bills.

 

PH

 

 

 

6.0

Finance

 

 

 

 

5.1

Financial statements – Statement to 14th June 2009 was agreed and signed. 

 

 

 

 

 

VT pointed out that there were some monies left over from the East Mendip Grant, as discount was obtained on the printing bill from Frome Community College. It was agreed that the remaining monies would be utilised to purchase a new notice board to replace the one at the corner of Leigh Street and Park Hayes, which is in poor condition.  SV to identify exact amount of monies left and organise.

 

 

 

 

SV

 

 

 

 

Clerk proposed to transfer £2,000 to the savings account, all agreed. Cheque #573 agreed and signed.

 

 

 

 

5.2

Invoice from Leigh On Mendip 1st School – Invoice I/111 for photocopying of the Newsletter was agreed. Cheque #569 signed.

 

 

 

 

5.3

Invoice from Frome Community College – Invoice INC002827 for the printing of the Village Welcome pack was agreed. Cheque #570 signed.

 

 

 

 

5.4

Clerk Salary & Expenses – Invoice dated 15th June 2009 was agreed. Cheque #571 signed.

 

 

 

 

5.5

Internal Auditor Expenses – Receipts for photocopying were agreed. Cheque #572 signed.

VT proposed to gift £30 to the internal auditor for his work, RM seconded. All agreed. Clerk to check legality of this payment by cheque and obtain an invoice.

 

 

SV

 

 

 

5.6

Agreement of Financial Regulations – VT proposed to agree, CC seconded. Financial Regulations adopted.

 

 

 

 

5.7

Risks Audit Report – Report presented by the Clerk agreed.

 

 

 

 

 

Clerk to ascertain the legal situation/current set up, particularly with regard to responsibility, for the Recreation Field and Village Hall Committee.

 

SV

 

 

 

5.8

Grant Request from Life Education Wessex – Following discussion with Mrs Harry at the school, it was agreed not to grant monies (CC proposed to refuse, FH seconded, unanimously agreed to reject). Clerk to advise Life Education Wessex that it would be more appropriate for applications to be made through the school.

 

 

 

SV

 

 

 

5.9

Grant Request from Women’s Institute – PH suggested we contact Martin Errington at MDC who will supply jackets, pickers and sacks and will also organise pick up; it was also mentioned that Yvonne Mears, PCSO, would also get involved. Following discussions with members of the Hall Committee, FH stated that the Hall had offered to waive charges for this event. Lastly, it was suggested to approach the landlord at  The Bell Inn to provide a few cups of tea and some jugs of juice. Clerk to contact WI representative to further offer assistance with the organisation of the litter pick up days.

 

 

 

 

 

 

SV

 

 

 

7.0

Cemetery 

 

 

 

 

7.1

Mowing invoice – Dave Jarvis’ invoice 010 dated 31st May 2009 was agreed. Cheque #92 signed.  

 

 

 

 

7.2

Purchase of land for cemetery – Clerk updated council on position. Public notice to be put up. Clerk to find out who owns the land around the church, and send letters explaining the situation.

 

 

SV

 

 

 

8.0

Planning Applications / Updates

 

 

 

 

8.1

The Chair updated the council on the positions of previous planning applications as follows:- 

 

·         Elliot building, Leigh School , was granted permission, but with the condition that it be taken down after 5 years. Chair of governors investigating reason for condition.

·         Cookswood Quarry – Clerk tabled letter from MDC stating that there had been no progress on proposals.

 

 

 

 

8.2

Application 2009/0220; Mendip Masons – It was unanimously agreed to recommend approval of the proposed development which is in keeping with the village statement. However, the following concerns were raised: visibility from proposed driveway onto the road and from the owner on the RHS (Old Malt House) might be obstructed by the wall in front of the properties; and worries about owners parking on the pavement, and therefore a risk to pedestrians.

 

 

 

 

 

SV

 

 

 

8.3

Application 2009/0675 & 0676; Oak cottage (Listed building) – FH proposed to leave the decision to the Planners who will have access to any objections received from neighbours. VT seconded. Unanimously agreed. Clerk to respond to MDC.

 

 

SV

 

 

 

9.0

East Mendip Grassland & Woodland Project

 

 

 

 

9.1

Clerk to email reply back to say we will be advertising their work on our website with a link.

 

 

 

 

10.0

Councillors Reports

 

 

 

 

10.1

PCSO – RM reported on Police Liaison Meeting attended in Frome.

 

 

 

 

10.2

Footpaths – Matthew Odolphie agreed to take on the role of Footpath Officer. MO to contact Ty Schlechter to organise handover meeting.

 

MO

 

 

 

10.3

Highways – RM to contact YM to point out problem of parking on the pavement.

 

 

 

 

 

FH stated that he had taken on board comments from the public at the last meeting (milestone missing, parking at the school, white line marking) and that he would act upon these.

 

 

 

 

 

Street Cleaning - FH advised that he had contacted Connaught ahead of the last street cleaning to ensure a manual sweep was also done on the pavement on the road towards Soho. FH to find out who is responsible for cleaning pavements.

 

 

FH

 

 

 

10.4

Recreation Field – AGM held last Monday. Currently redecorating interior and getting ready for the Village Fair.

 

 

 

 

10.5

Memorial Hall – MR not present to give a report.

 

 

 

 

 

Forthcoming events – Elvis Night on Saturday 11th July. Bar 6.30pm, food 7pm, show 8.15pm. Tickets £10 including food (£5 for under 18’s).

 

 

 

 

10.6

School – Nothing further to report.

 

 

 

 

10.7

SALC – No meetings held. AS not present to report.

 

 

 

 

10.8

Quarry – Due for quarterly meeting, which is chaired by GC. Clerk to email GC to organise this meeting (last one was in January).

 

SV

 

 

 

12.0

Meetings Attended / To be attended

 

 

 

 

12.1

Meeting to be attended:-

Clerk to find out training courses for New Councillor.

Clerk to attend training session in Beckington.

 

SV

 

 

 

 

FH left the meeting.

 

 

 

 

13.0

Correspondence

 

 

 

 

13.1

The following correspondence was passed for circulation:

·      Planning Permission – Knaphill Cottage,

·       

 

 

 

 

14.0

Date & time of next meeting

 

 

 

 

14.1

The next meeting will be held at 7.30pm on 20th July 2009 in the Memorial Hall.