DRAFT  MINUTES

 

LEIGH ON MENDIP PARISH COUNCIL MEETING

held on 20th July 2009

 at 7.30pm in the Memorial Hall

 

 
 

Councillors Present

Chris Cudmore – Chairman (CC), Frank Higgins (FH), Rose Martin (RM), Matthew Odolphie (MO) and Alf Smith (AS).

Clerk – Sandrine Vaillant (SV).

Absent:- Marsha Read (MR).

 

The meeting was attended in part by Philip Ham (PH), District Councillor.

 

 

 

 

 

Action

1.0

Apologies

 

 

 

 

1.1

Apologies were received from Vicki Taylor (VT), Gloria Cawood (County Councillor) and Claire Fleming (District Councillor).

 

 

 

 

2.0

Declaration of Interest

 

 

 

 

2.1

No interest was declared.

 

 

 

 

3.0

Minutes of the last Annual Parish Council Meeting and matters arising

 

 

 

 

3.1

The minutes of the meeting held on 15th June 2009 were agreed as a true and accurate record of the meeting held.

 

 

 

 

3.2

(3.2) Communication with Villagers – Clerk to draft and issue first monthly newsletter.

SV

 

 

 

3.3

(3.4) Website Domain Renewal – Signed invoiced was received. Action complete.

 

 

 

 

3.4

(3.5) Welcome Packs – RM to distribute packs to new residents in Clear Wood and bungalow next door.

 

RM

 

 

 

3.5

(3.7) Parking outside school - SV to remind school to invite FH at September meeting.

SV

 

 

 

3.6

(3.8) Footpath at Pitten House - Application withdrawn. No further action.

 

 

 

 

3.7

(3.9) Telephone Box – Now in working order. Action complete.

 

 

 

 

3.8

(5.2) Telephone Directory for MDC - Some key numbers and email addresses were published in the June parish information bulletin. Action complete.

 

 

 

 

3.9

(5.3) Small Works Grant - Action complete.

 

 

 

 

3.10

(5.4) Special Expenses on Council Tax Bills - Action continues.

PH

 

 

 

3.11

(6.1) Noticeboard – Clerk reported on basic research undertaken on price and availability of noticeboards; MO to research further. SV to look at grants available.

 

MO/SV

 

 

 

3.12

(6.5) Internal Auditor Expenses - Clerk awaiting response from SLCC from query on validity of payment before issue.

 

SV

 

 

 

3.13

(6.8) Grant Request from Life Education Wessex – Clerk to draft letter based on discussions from last meeting.

 

SV

 

 

 

3.14

(6.9) Grant Request from Women’s Institute - Action complete.

 

 

 

 

3.15

(7.2) See 6.2 below.

 

 

 

 

3.16

(8.2 & 8.3) Planning Applications – Responses were sent to MDC. Action complete.

 

 

 

 

3.17

(10.2) Footpaths – SV to email TS’ email address to MO.

SV

 

 

 

4.0

District & County Councillors’ Report

 

 

 

 

4.1

Chair read report emailed by GC.

 

 

 

 

5.0

Finance

 

 

 

 

5.1

Financial statement – Statement to 19th July 2009 was agreed and signed. 

 

 

 

 

5.2

Bank Mandate – New bank mandates were signed. Clerk  to liaise with Nat West for implementation.

 

SV

 

 

 

 

Clerk to request form from NS&I to change signatures on savings account.

SV

 

 

 

5.3

RM presented £1 to the Council for the Rec Field Rent.

 

 

 

 

6.0

Cemetery 

 

 

 

 

6.1

Dave Jarvis’ invoice #013, dated 28th June 2009, for grass cutting on 5th & 19th June 2009 was agreed. Cheque #93 was agreed and signed.

 

 

 

 

6.2

Cemetery Extension / Land purchase – Clerk sought advice from Peter Lacey who outline the following actions to be undertaken once land has been found:-

·      Speak to the planners about the proposed land

·      Speak to a local agricultural land valuer

·      Contact the environment agency

·      Confirm the selling price with  the owners

·      Finally, speak to Peter Lacey to organise borrowing if necessary.

 

 

 

 

 

Clerk advised that Mick & Jo who own land adjacent to the Churchyard would be open to offers on some land. Clerk to follow actions above to move this forward.

 

SV

 

 

 

7.0

Planning Applications / Updates

 

 

 

 

7.1

The Chair updated the council on the positions of previous planning applications. 

Application 2009/0220; Mendip Masons.  Withdrawn.

Application 2009/0675 & 0676; Oak cottage. Approved.

 

 

 

 

8.0

Review of Outstanding/Ongoing Parish Plan Actions

 

 

 

 

8.1

Outstanding actions to be pursued this year:-

·       Action B – PCSO contact: PCSO name to be displayed on notice boards

·       Action C – Taxi Link: This has now been replaced. RM to send CC details for the website.

·       Action F – Parish Council Info: SV to create email newsletter (see item 3.2 above)

·       Action G – Noticeboards: Replace notice board by Herbert Dunn House (see item 3.11. above)

·       Action I – Neighbourhood Watch:  Names to be placed on notice boards (after checking with individuals)

·        Action J – Road signs: Replace village name signs on three approaches

·       Action 2 – Litter: Consider more dog waste bins

·       Action 8 - Businesses: Chair to update local business links on website.

·       Action 10 – Footpaths:  Create more circulate paths around the village for walks.

 

CC

 

RM/CC

 

 

SV

 

SV

 

 

 

9.0

Code of Conduct Update

 

 

 

 

9.1

Clerk updated council with regard to declaration of interests.

 

 

 

 

10.0

Mendip Time to Plan

 

 

 

 

10.1

Chair read email from Baltonsborough regarding time to plan document.

FH proposed to keep to what was agreed at the January 09 meeting (item 7.2) when we replied to the consultations. AS seconded, all agreed.

 

 

 

 

11.0

Councillors’ Reports

 

 

 

 

11.1

PCSO – A report from the PCSO had been circulated to the Councillors. Next Police Liaison meeting on 13th August 2009. RM to attend and bring up issue of parking on pavements. RM to also confirm that we are happy with the emailed monthly reports.

 

 

 

 

 

Parking on pavement – to be put on the agenda for next month.

SV

 

 

 

11.2

Footpaths - MO advised that he had received tools and had been inspecting the paths.

He has also spoken to Sheila and been in contact with other persons at MDC.

MO agreed to draw up some maps to advertise the footpaths.

 

 

MO

 

 

 

11.3

Rec Field – RM reported that more painting and redecorating is to be undertaken. The committee is also applying for a grant for play equipment for older children.

It was confirmed that the village fair had earned £450 for each of the 7 groups involved. 

 

 

 

 

11.4

Memorial Hall - MR not present. Although it was reported that the Take Art evening had been very successful

 

 

 

 

11.5

School – Nothing to report.

 

 

 

 

11.6

SALC – Next meeting in September.

 

 

 

 

11.7

Quarry – Waiting for GC to organise meeting.  SV to send reminder.

SV

 

 

 

12.0

Meetings attended (including training courses)/to be attended

 

 

 

 

12.1

Meetings to be attended:

Parish Forum - 27th July 2009 (CC).

East Mendip Community Partnership – Tuesday 11th August (RM)

 

 

 

 

13.0

Correspondence

 

 

 

 

13.1

Chair announced FH is resigning from the council as from October. Clerk to advertise position.

 

SV

 

 

 

13.2

No correspondence has been passed for circulation as nothing has been received in the post. A few emails have been circulated.

 

 

 

 

14.0

Date & time of next meeting

 

 

 

 

14.1

It was agreed to cancel the August meeting. The next Parish Council Meeting will be held on 21st September 2009, at 7.30 in the Memorial Hall, Committee Room.