DRAFT MINUTES

 

LEIGH ON MENDIP PARISH COUNCIL MEETING

held on 21st September 2009

 at 7.30pm in the Memorial Hall

 

 
 

Councillors Present

Chris Cudmore – Chairman (CC), Frank Higgins (FH), Rose Martin (RM), Matthew Odolphie (MO), Marsha Read (MR) and Alf Smith (AS).

Clerk – Sandrine Vaillant (SV).

 

The meeting was attended in part by PCSOs Yvonne Mears (YM) and James May; Clare Fleming (CF) and Philip Ham (PH), District Councillors.

 

 

 

 

 

Action

1.0

Apologies

 

 

 

 

1.1

Apologies were received from Vicki Taylor (VT) and Gloria Cawood (County Councillor).

 

 

 

 

2.0

Declaration of Interest

 

 

 

 

2.1

No interest was declared.

 

 

 

 

3.0

Minutes of the last Annual Parish Council Meeting (20/07/09) and matters arising

 

 

 

 

3.1

The minutes of the meeting held on 20th July 2009 were agreed as a true and accurate record of the meeting held.

 

 

 

 

3.2

(3.2) Communication with Villagers – Clerk to draft and issue first newsletter.

SV

 

 

 

3.3

(3.4) Welcome Packs distribution to new residents – Action complete.

 

 

 

 

3.4

(3.5) Parking outside school – See Councillors Report under Highway, item 10.

 

 

 

 

3.5

(3.10) Special Expenses on Council Tax Bills – PH confirmed that the Parish had not been billed for any maintenance with regard to the play area, but that £1,469.64 were added as Special Expenses for the closed churchyard.

 

 

 

 

3.6

(3.11) Noticeboard – MO advised that the starting price for notice boards of similar quality was around £1,100 (£600 for aluminium boards). Given the high price, FH volunteered to have another look at the board to strengthen it and improve permeability.

 

 

FH

 

 

 

3.7

(3.12) Internal Auditor Expenses – No responses was received from SLCC; however Clerk ascertained that it was not unlawful to remunerate the internal auditor and that the cheque was issued, but that it would be good practice to agree fees prior to undertaking the work in future. Action complete. 

 

 

 

 

3.8

(3.13) Reply to grant request from Life Education Wessex – Letter issued. Action complete.

 

 

 

 

3.9

(3.17) Footpaths – TS email address issued to MO. Action complete.

 

 

 

 

3.10

(5.2) Bank Mandates – Clerk met with MO at Nat West. Final forms signed at the meeting.  

 

 

 

 

3.11

(13.1) Parish Councillor Position – Advertisements have been published in the parish magazine and on the notice boards.

 

 

 

 

4.0

PCSO Report

 

 

 

 

4.1

YM presented James May who had been on beat with her, training to eventually take position in Frome town centre.

 

 

 

 

4.2

YM presented her report for the last month. The only issue in L-o-M was with regard to noisy mopeds in the village. The issue of parking on the pavement was discussed and is reported under item 10.0.

 

 

 

 

 

YM and JM leave the meeting.

 

 

 

 

5.0

District & County Councillors’ Report

 

 

 

 

5.1

CF reported as follows:-

·       Eden Project had an online offer to get free bulbs for residents to plant.

·       A log was identified as the problem eroding the concrete bridge at the boundary of Leigh and Coleford. CF advised that Coleford PC had decided to involve specialist ‘river people’ to remove the log. FH, MO and CC volunteered to put their wellies on and have a look themselves to see if they could move the log themselves.

·       Branches have been left in the area of the small stream on Whitehole Hill towards Holcombe. MR advised she would arrange for these to be cleared.

·       Parish Forum on Gipsies/Travellers  on 8th October 2009; CF recommended that the parish be represented as Mendip have identified some sites but locations have not be revealed. CC to attend meeting.

·       Cookswood Quarry – CF queried whether we would be happy to have a meeting with the four villages involved (Oakhill, Stoke St Michael, Holcombe). It was agreed to take part.

·       Consultation on Housing Strategy – CC & MR expressed disbelief at the way the consultation was conducted, sending a 95-page document with 5 days to respond.

 

 

 

 

FH/MO/
CC

 

MR

 

 

CC

 

 

 

 

CF leaves the meeting.

 

 

 

 

5.2

PH reported about various things during the meeting, as well as:

·      Cookswood Quarry – PH reported that all the documents were in the applicant’s hands and that they were working on the landscaping plan.

PH gave his apology for next month’s meeting.

 

 

 

 

6.0

Finance

 

 

 

 

6.1

Financial statement – Statement to 20th September 2009 was agreed and signed. 

 

 

 

 

6.2

External Auditor Report – Clerk read the recommendations in the external auditors report. It was also noticed that Moore Stephens had not signed their section of the return. Clerk to contact Moore Stephens.

 

 

SV

 

 

 

6.3

NS&I Bank Mandate – Unfortunately, Clerk was sent the wrong form when requested last week. To be signed at next meeting.

 

SV

 

 

 

6.4

Clerk Salary – Invoice dated 21.09.09 was agreed. Cheque #575 signed.

 

 

 

 

6.5

External Auditor – Invoice dated 11.09.09 was agreed. Cheque #576 signed, to be sent once the final section of the audit has been signed.

 

 

 

 

7.0

Cemetery 

 

 

 

 

7.1

Dave Jarvis’ invoices #017, 21 and 24, dated 2nd August, 29th August and 15th September 2009, for grass cutting on 3rd July, 17th July, 31st July, 14th August, 28th August and 11th September 2009 were agreed. Cheque #94 was agreed and signed.

 

 

 

 

7.2

Cemetery Extension / Land purchase adjacent to existing cemetery – Clerk updated council on position. The following actions were agreed:-

·      Contact a land valuer;

·      Write to nearby residents to explain the situation.

 

 

 

SV

 

 

 

8.0

Planning Applications / Updates

 

 

 

 

8.1

The Chair updated the council on the positions of previous planning applications.   

 

 

 

 

8.2

Cookswood Quarry – CC reiterated what the PC position was with regard to this application. Further consideration will take place once the revised submission is issued.

 

 

 

 

9.0

Parish Plan Actions

 

 

 

 

9.1

·       Taxi Link – RM to email details to CC.

·       Newsletter – SV to send draft to CC.

·       Notice board – SV to get keys cut for notice boards and give a key to FH.

·       Neighbourhood Watch – Details are on the website. SV to add details to notice boards.

·       Local businesses – RM had spoken to some residents and details passed to CC to add to website.

·       Footpaths – MO reported on identified possible paths. CC to speak to M Patch with regard to access to footpath on his land.

RM

SV

SV

SV

 

CC

 

CC

 

 

 

 

PH joins meeting.

 

 

 

 

9.2

 Village signs – Discussion took place around the idea of commissioning a stone (perhaps from a nearby quarry?) and have the name of the village carved out. FH suggested asking the children attending the Youth Club to design a village sign. It was agreed to start looking into changing the sign at the ‘Townend’ end of the village.

 

 

 

 

9.3

Dog waste bins – Bins are initially expensive (circa £300) to buy, but get emptied free of charge by the council if they agree with the design used. CC proposed to supply one red bin as a trial, FH seconded and all agreed. FH to investigate with a maximum price of £350. SV to speak to MDC and FH to source.

 

 

 

SV/FH

 

 

 

 

FH leaves meeting after reporting on Highways.

 

 

 

 

10.0

Parking on curbs / Parking outside school

 

 

                                 

 

10.1

Several problematic areas were identified (outside the pub and outside The Meadows where cars are regularly parked on the pavement).

YM stated that the issue about the cars parked outside the Bell was contentious as the owners have historically been allowed to park on the wide pavement, leaving adequate space for pedestrians; however it was agreed that YM would start posting ‘warning’ notices on windscreens to educate people instead of handing out tickets.

 

 

 

 

10.2

Parking outside the school – FH met with Gill Harry. It was also pointed out that it was not only parents parking outside the school, but residents who lived in the vicinity. YM offered to patrol the area when on duty at school times to speak to the parents to make them aware of the danger of parking on the bend.

 

 

 

 

11.0

Energy Efficiency & Climate Change Project

 

 

                                  

 

11.1

SV reported that Graham Harris had expressed an interest.

 

 

 

 

12.0

March 2010 TV Digital Switch 

 

 

                                 

 

12.1

AS to take offer to the over 60s group. SV to email Caroline Harris.

AS, SV

 

 

 

13.0

Nominations for Chairman’s Award for Service to the Community

 

 

                                 

 

13.1

RM suggested a nominee, CC seconded, all agreed. RM to action.

RM

 

 

 

11.0

Councillors’ Reports

 

 

 

 

11.1

PCSO – RM attended a meeting on 13th August 09. Brought attention to Horse Watch, which has just started.

 

 

 

 

11.2

Footpaths – Stile at Bellfield has finally fallen apart, but there is no real requirement for a stile unless there is livestock in the field, which is not the case at the moment. MO has spoken to S. Petherbridge to obtain leaflets to distribute to land owners around spring time regarding keeping the paths well marked, before they are masked by crops. Leaflet available via NFU website.

 

 

 

 

11.3

Highways – FH reported that he had been contacted by Highways to organise a meeting to deal with white lining in the village.

Street lights – RM reported that she had phoned Highways to report the lights staying on too late in the morning (0845 601 0139 to report problem with the lights). It may be possible to reduce the wattage of the lights in the village.

 

 

 

 

11.4

Rec Field – A bid has been put to Grassroots to partially fund the extension to the play area (with activities for older children) and to resurface the existing play area, with a material which would not rot away.

PH suggested a local contractor who had installed play equipment in Holecombe and Coleford at a very competitive price.

Rec Field to make a grant application to the parish for the £500 promised in the budget.

 

 

 

 

11.5

Memorial Hall – Nothing to report. Next meeting on 5th October 2009, 8pm. Chair advised that they had some monies left from the budget (£180).

 

 

 

 

11.6

School  - VT not present. Nothing further to report.

 

 

 

 

11.7

SALC – Next meeting on Saturday 26th September 2009. AS to attend.

AS

 

 

 

11.8

Quarry – Clerk received an email this afternoon from GC asking for suitable days and times to be advised to her. It was noted that no actions from the last meeting had been followed through.

 

 

 

 

12.0

Meetings attended (including training courses)/to be attended

 

 

 

 

12.1

Meetings attended:

·      Planning Enforcement (slides in correspondence file).

Meetings to be attended:

·      Thursday 8th October – Meeting about Gypsies and Travellers. CC/MR to go.

·      15th October 2009 - Clerk to attend meeting at Edington for Finance Update. All agreed.

 

 

 

CC/MR

 

 

 

13.0

Correspondence

 

 

 

 

13.1

Correspondence circulated for information:

 

·      Somerset Art Weeks booklet

·      Email: more powers for Parish & Town Councils

·      A&S Police Authority – Community Policing Awards 2009

·      Parishes information bulletin August & September 2009

·      Slides from Planning Enforcement training at MDC held on 9th September 2009

·      SCC – Mendip Schools need governors

·      Mendip Housing Annual Review 2008/09

·      Frome Community Plan

·      The Playing Field, Summer 09; Clerks & Councils Direct July 2009 and Sept 2009; Your Mendip Summer 2009; The Clerk Sept 2009;  Mendip Community Newsletter Summer 2009; Somerset Community Safety Newsletter Summer 2009.

·      PCSO Steering Group meeting report/minutes 13/08/09

·      Mid-Somerset Peace Group

·      Council Tax special charges breakdown.

 

 

 

 

14.0

Date & time of next meeting

 

 

 

 

14.1

The next Parish Council Meeting will be held on 19th October 2009, at 7.30 in the Memorial Hall, Committee Room.