DRAFT  MINUTES

 

LEIGH ON MENDIP PARISH COUNCIL MEETING

held on 19th October 2009

 at 7.30pm in the Memorial Hall

 

Councillors Present

Chris Cudmore – Chairman (CC), Frank Higgins (FH), Rose Martin (RM), Alf Smith (AS) and Vicki Taylor (VT).

Clerk – Sandrine Vaillant (SV).

 

 

 

 

 

Action

1.0

Apologies

 

 

 

 

1.1

Apologies were received from Matthew Odolphie (MO) and Marsha Read (MR), Parish Councillors; and Philip Ham and Claire Fleming (CF), District Councillors.

 

 

 

 

2.0

Declaration of Interest

 

 

 

 

2.1

No interest was declared.

 

 

 

 

3.0

Minutes of the last Annual Parish Council Meeting (21/09/09) and matters arising

 

 

 

 

3.1

The minutes of the meeting held on 21st September 2009 were agreed as a true and accurate record of the meeting held.

 

 

 

 

3.2

(3.6) Noticeboard – The noticeboard was looked at and improvements were made by FH. FH to give receipt for expenses to Clerk (costs were agreed to be paid from monies left over from East Mendip Community Grant). Action complete.

 

 

 

 

3.3

(5.1)

·       Log at the boundary of Leigh and Coleford – FH inspected the area and confirmed that there was no damage to the bridge structure but brought to attention the condition of the handrails which are very corroded and should be replaced. The log is however obstructing river flow. Clerk to contact the Environment Agency and MDC to ascertain responsibility to remove the log and replace the handrail on the footbridge.

·       Branches in the area of the small stream on Whitehole Hill towards Holcombe – MR confirmed having reported the problem. Action complete.

·       Gypsies/Travellers MDC Meeting – CC attended the meeting and reported that the strategy would be published shortly for consultation. FH suggested holding a village meeting to gather residents’ views on the subject, once the strategy is known.

 

 

 

 

 

SV

 

 

 

 

3.4

(6.2) External Auditor’s Report – The annual return was sent back to Moore Stephens for signing; signed copy now on file. Action complete.

 

 

 

 

3.5

(9.1) Parish Plan Actions –

·       Taxi Link – RM has passed on information gathered to CC for publication on the website. Action complete.

·       Newsletter – SV to send draft to CC.

·       Notice board – See 3.2. Spare keys were cut and handed to Chair. Action complete.

·       Neighbourhood Watch – Details have been added to notice boards. Action complete.

·       Local businesses – An email was issued to some residents and details of more local businesses will be added to the website on an ongoing basis.

·       Footpaths – CC to speak to J Patch with regard to permissive access to footpath on his land.  Action continues.

 

 

 

SV

 

 

 

 

 

CC

 

 

 

3.7

(9.3) Dog Bins – SV tried to contact MDC to no avail, in order to obtain specification of ‘suitable’ bins for the council to empty. Action continues.

 

SV

 

 

 

3.8

(12.1) Digital TV Switch over – Details passed to Caroline Harris for WI attention and Community Active Living Group. Action complete.

 

 

 

 

3.9

(13.1) Chairman’s Award to the Community – RM completed the form. SV to forward to authority.

 

SV

 

 

 

4.0

District & County Councillors’ Report

 

 

 

 

4.1

No district or County councillors present.

 

 

 

 

5.0

Finance

 

 

 

 

5.1

Financial statement – Statement to 18th October 2009 was agreed and signed. 

 

 

 

 

5.2

NS&I Bank Mandate – All parties present signed the mandate. Clerk to implement.

SV

 

 

 

5.3

Grant Request from Wells & Mendip Museum – Grant rejected. 

 

 

 

 

5.4

Grant Request from Mendip Community Transport – Clerk to forward a Grant Request Form. To be discussed at next meeting once the form has been returned.

 

SV

 

 

 

5.5

WI Grant request towards Village Pick Up – The response from the WI was discussed. Clerk to advise WI that this will be discussed at November meeting.

 

SV

 

 

 

6.0

Cemetery 

 

 

 

 

6.1

Dave Jarvis’ invoice #027 dated 12th October was agreed. Cheque #95 agreed and signed.

 

 

 

 

6.2

Cemetery Extension / Land purchase adjacent to existing cemetery – Clerk updated council on position. The following actions were agreed:-

·      Clerk to contact further Land Valuers to obtain competitive prices to carry out valuation of the land (check with MDC if a quotation can be obtained from someone from Mendip).

·      SV to write to land owner asking how much he would like to sell and for how much he would sell it for.

·      Write to nearby residents to explain the situation.

 

 

 

 

SV

 

SV

SV

 

 

 

7.0

Planning Applications / Updates

 

 

 

 

7.1

Clerk updated council on recent correspondence, to be discussed at November meeting.

 

 

 

 

8.0

Parish Plan Actions

 

 

 

 

8.1

·       Village signs – Chair updated council on situation with regard to replacing sign at Townsend side of the village. VT to investigate options for design, etc.

 

VT

 

 

 

9.0

Community Policing Awards

 

 

                                 

 

9.1

Although the Council is pleased with Yvonne Mear’s involvement in helping the village on Police matters, it was agreed not to make a nomination this year.

 

 

 

 

10.0

Councillors’ Reports

 

 

 

 

10.1

PCSO – PCSO report was circulated. It was noted that there had been a reduction in parking on the bend past the school. Nothing further to report. Next meeting 12th November 2009.

 

 

 

 

10.2

Footpaths – MO not present. Nothing further to report.

 

 

 

 

10.3

Highways – FH advised that he had had no luck in organising a meeting with Jeff Bunting before his departure from the Council. Chair thanked FH for his work while on the Council.

 

 

 

 

10.4

Rec Field – Meeting held at the end of September. Clerk to issue receipt on rent paid.

Next event: Bingo Night on Saturday 5th December 2009.  Next meeting 9th November.

 

 

 

 

10.5

Memorial Hall – MR not present. Nothing further to report.

Next meeting 2nd November 2009, 8pm (AGM).

 

 

 

 

10.6

School - VT reported that G Harry had resigned and would be retiring at the end of July and that the Governors were working with SCC to find a replacement.

 

 

 

 

10.7

SALC – AS attended meeting and briefly reported on presentation from new SCC Chairman. Next meeting 30th November 2009.

 

 

 

 

 

FH leaves meeting.

 

 

 

 

10.8

Quarry – Meeting held on 15th October 2009. The Terms of Reference were approved; Section 106 Agreement with the Quarry to be obtained, the situation with regard to the Long Term Management Fund was clarified and SCC and Tarmac were urged to quickly complete the arrangements for the monies to be put into a protected joint account between Tarmac and MDC. AS expressed worry that the monies could be used for other projects than village matters.

Next Halecombe Quarry Liaison meetings to be held on 18th March and 18th October 2010.

 

 

 

 

11.0

Meetings attended (including training courses)/to be attended

 

 

 

 

11.1

Meetings attended:

·       CC reported on Chairman’s training attended.

Meetings to be attended:

·       Planning (trees) training for councillors, MDC on 28th Oct.

·       East Mendip Community Partnership 1st December 2009.

 

 

 

 

12.0

Correspondence

 

 

 

 

12.1

Correspondence circulated for information:

 

·      Information on Solar Water Heating grants from MDC

·      PCSO report, September 09

·      SCC Transport Priorities

·      Parishes information bulletin

·      SALC meeting paperwork

·      ‘How to be a good chairman’ meeting paperwork

·      Travellers Times, Summer 2009

·      Detail of Planning Application for Grove Shute Farm

 

 

 

 

13.0

Date & time of next meeting

 

 

 

 

13.1

The next Parish Council Meeting will be held on 16th November 2009, at 7.30 in the Memorial Hall, Committee Room.