MINUTES

 

LEIGH ON MENDIP PARISH COUNCIL MEETING

held on 21st December 2009

 at 7.30pm in the Memorial Hall

 

 

Councillors Present

Chris Cudmore – Chairman (CC), Marsha Read (MR), Alf Smith (AS) and Vicki Taylor (VT).

The meeting was also attended by Brenda Wigmore

Clerk – Sandrine Vaillant (SV).

 

 

 

 

 

Action

 

The meeting was shortened due to the forecast weather on the day of the meeting. Some items will be dealt with at the January meeting.

 

 

 

 

1.0

Apologies

 

 

 

 

1.1

Apologies were received from Rose Martin (RM) and Matthew Odolphie (MO), Parish Councillors; Philip Ham, District Councillor; and Gloria Cawood (GC) County Councillor.

 

 

 

 

2.0

Declarations of Interest

 

 

 

 

2.1

No interests were declared.

 

 

 

 

3.0

Agreement to minutes of meeting held on 16/11/09 and matters arising

 

 

 

 

3.1

The minutes of the meeting held on 16th November 2009 were agreed as a true and accurate record of the meeting held, with the following amendments:

·      Item 5.5 - Chairman’s award submission was signed by RM (not MR).

·      Item 14.7 – It was advised at the meeting that the SALC meeting had been cancelled.

 

 

 

 

 

VT joins the meeting.

Brenda Wigmore also joined the meeting and expressed an interest in joining the council.

A decision on the co-option of Brenda Wigmore will be made by the parish council at the January meeting.

 

 

 

 

3.2

(5.1) Branch across the Mells stream at the boundary of Leigh and Coleford – MR reported that John and Francis Patch would be removing the tree with machinery once the weather improves. Action complete.

 

 

 

 

3.3

(5.2) Branches in the area of the small stream on Whitehole Hill – Branches were cleared, but more have accumulated due to the running water, blocking the road again. MR advised that a clearing of the woods would be undertaken once the weather improves. Action complete.

 

MR also advised that the verge by the sump on Pitten Street had been cleared.

 

 

 

 

3.4

(5.3) Newsletter – Clerk to draft Newsletter.

Permissive path – CC to speak to Mr Patch.

SV

CC

 

 

 

3.5

(6.2) Clerk confirmed that an email was sent to the school inviting them to email details and pictures of events to be included in the village website. Action complete.

 

 

 

 

3.6

(10.1) Village signs – VT to pursue and enquire about type of stone that might be appropriate for a sign.

 

VT

 

 

 

3.7

(12.1) Somerset Aggregate Levy Fund – CC to write letter.

CC

 

 

 

3.8

(13.1) Most Desirable Villages TV show – Electronic application was submitted and Clerk was contacted shortly afterwards by the producers of the show. However, it was felt that the producers had very stereotypical views of people living in the villages, with fears that participants might be misrepresented and this was not pursued. Action complete.

 

 

 

 

3.9

(14.3) Highways – CC confirmed obtaining brief from FH. Action complete.

 

 

 

 

3.10

Overgrown hedges – Letters were issued last week to the residents concerned.

With regards to the hedge between The Meadows and Myrtle Cottages, it was suggested to set up working party with the help of a local farmer to cut hedge back if no response is received.

 

 

 

 

4.0

District & County Councillors Reports (maximum 5mins)

 

 

 

 

4.1

No councillors present to report.

 

 

 

 

5.0

Finance

 

 

 

 

5.1

Financial Statement - Statement to 20th December 2009 was agreed and signed. Clerk confirmed that the grant to the WI was for £20.

 

 

 

 

5.2

Precept 2010/11 – Figures put forward by the Chair were discussed. The aim is to hold the current charge to parishioners based on an estimate of current households. Chair proposes £6,010, AS seconded, unanimously agreed.

 

 

 

 

5.3

Clerk’s Salary - Invoice dated 21.12.09 was agreed. Cheque #579 signed.

 

 

 

 

5.4

Grant Requests from Age Concern, Citizen Advice Bureau and Mendip Community Transport – It was felt that all three organisations were worthy of a grant for the work they do in supporting the village community. CC proposed to grant £25 to each organisation, VT seconded, unanimously agreed.

 

 

 

 

6.0

Cemetery

 

 

 

 

6.1

Clerk advised the council on the situation and confirmed that letter had been sent to the land owner asking how much of the land they would be prepared to sell and for how much. Awaiting response.

 

 

 

 

6.2

Further, more competitive, quotations were obtained from local Land Valuers.

 

 

 

 

7.0

Planning

 

 

 

 

7.1

Application ref. 2009/1874 Bell Inn, Leigh Street – Following discussions, AS proposed to support the application, MR seconded and it was unanimously agreed to support the application, with the suggested following condition:

Landlord to encourage visitors to smoke either in the back garden, in the shelter provided, or by the ‘old’ (current) entrance door, in order to protect the tranquillity of the local residents.

Generally, Landlord to do his utmost to reduce any additional noise onto Leigh Street.

 

 

 

 

7.2

Cookswood Quarry planning application status – AS, MR and CC attended briefing with the planners at MDC and updated the council on the current situation. Further public consultation meetings to be organised in January in Stoke and Coleford, which have been elected as the two key villages to hold the meetings for all parishes involved. Final planning meeting expected at end of February.

CC suggested that sheets with feedbacks from parishioners from each village be collected and brought along to the consultation meetings to bring points of discussion.

Additional parish meeting may be needed.

 

 

 

 

8.0

Provision of Dog Bin

 

 

 

 

8.1

MO not present. To be discussed at January meeting.

 

 

 

 

9.0

Alternatives to grant of free TV licences for over 75s

 

 

 

 

9.1

It was felt that this was not a matter for the parish to decide on, but for individuals to express their views directly with the relevant organisation.

 

 

 

 

10.0

Parish Plan Actions

 

 

 

 

10.1

Rolled over to January meeting.

 

 

 

 

11.0

Councillors’ Reports

 

 

 

 

11.1

PCSO – Nothing further to report.

 

 

 

 

11.2

Footpaths – MO not present. Nothing further to report.

 

 

 

 

11.3

Highways – Nothing further to report.

 

 

 

 

11.4

Rec Field – RM not present. Nothing further to report.

 

 

 

 

11.5

Memorial Hall – MR reiterated that a booking clerk was needed for the Hall.

 

 

 

 

11.6

School – VT reported that the school had started the process of recruitment of a new head teacher.

 

 

 

 

11.7

SALC – Nothing further to report.

 

 

 

 

11.8

Quarry – Next meeting on 18th March 2009. Nothing further to report.

 

 

 

 

15.0

Meetings attended (including training courses)/to be attended

 

 

 

 

15.1

Meetings attended:

·      Parish forum; Future of Housing Developments in Mendip

·      East Mendip Community Partnership, 1st December 2009

 

 

 

 

16.0

Correspondence

 

 

 

 

16.1

Correspondence circulated for information:

 

·      MDC Gypsy and Traveller Strategy/Accommodation needs Assessment for Gypsies and Travellers within Somerset

·      PCSO November report

·      Winter/December newsletters from: SALC; Somerset Rural Youth Project; Parishes Information Bulletin; Somerset Today;

 

 

 

 

17.0

Date & time of next meeting

 

 

 

 

17.1

The next Parish Council Meeting will be held on 18th January 2009, at 7.30 in the Memorial Hall, Committee Room.