DRAFT MINUTES

 

LEIGH ON MENDIP PARISH COUNCIL MEETING

held on 18th January 2010

 at 7.30pm in the Memorial Hall

 

 

Councillors Present

Chris Cudmore – Chairman (CC), Rose Martin (RM), Matthew Odolphie (MO), Marsha Read (MR), Alf Smith (AS), Vicki Taylor (VT) and Brenda Wigmore (BW).

The meeting was also attended by one parishioner, Mr Hiscox, his representative and District Councillor Claire Fleming.

Clerk – Sandrine Vaillant (SV).

 

 

 

 

 

Action

1.0

Apologies

 

 

 

 

1.1

Apologies were received from Gloria Cawood (GC) County Councillor.

AS presented his apologies for next month.

 

 

 

 

2.0

Declarations of Interest

 

 

 

 

2.1

MR declared an interest in Planning Application 2009/2030 – Grove Shute Farm.

 

 

 

 

3.0

Co-option of Councillor

 

 

 

 

3.1

Following discussion, it was agreed that BW would be a beneficial addition to the PC. MR proposed to co-opt, AS seconded, unanimously agreed. BW was welcomed to the Parish Council. SV to liaise with BW regarding signing all relevant paperwork.

 

SV

 

 

 

4.0

Agreement to minutes of meeting held on 21/12/09 and matters arising

 

 

 

 

4.1

The minutes of the meeting held on 21st December 2009 were agreed as a true and accurate record of the meeting held.

 

 

 

 

4.2

(3.4) Newsletter – First Newsletter was issued in January. Action Complete.

Permissive Path – CC to speak to Mr Patch.

 

CC

 

 

 

4.3

(3.7) Somerset Aggregate Levy Sustainability Fund – Letter written and issued. Awaiting response. Action complete.

 

 

 

 

5.0

Planning Application 2009/2030 – Grove Shute Farm

 

 

 

 

5.1

The applicant’s representative confirmed that the application was in effect identical to the previous one discussed in November, stressing that only home-grown produce only would be processed on the plant and that expected traffic would remain the same as in the original application.

Discussions and a series of Q&A pertaining to the current and future dimension of the building, and the classification of the application as ‘agricultural diversification’ ensued.

 

 

 

 

 

MR leaves the room for deliberation by the PC.

 

 

 

 

5.2

Chairman reminded the council of what was agreed when the application was originally discussed in November, and further commented on a couple of points following discussion with the planners.

 

 

 

 


 

5.3

VT proposed to support the application with comments and to use the same wording agreed in November, AS seconded, unanimously agreed. Clerk to respond to MDC.

 

SV

 

 

 

 

MR re-joins the meeting.

 

 

 

 

6.0

District & County Councillors’ Reports

 

 

 

 

6.1

Claire Fleming reported on the following:

·          Following a resident’s request for a grit bin to be installed at the bottom of Soho Hill (Tweed Farm), near Coleford Parish, CF reported that Coleford PC had agreed to pay for half the price of a grit bin (around £120-160). Discussed further under item10.1.

·          Cookswood Quarry – CF highlighted the importance to go and see the plans at the public display in Stoke St Michael on Tuesday 19th January. Clerk to enquire as to the timescale for responses to the planners.

 

 

 

 

 

 

SV

 

 

 

 

CF leaves the meeting

 

 

 

 

6.2

Gloria Cawood’s report was circulated prior to the meeting, and telephoned the Clerk to remind the Council that she had not received any application from any of LoM’s groups for the County Councillor Grant, and there were only a couple of days left to do so.

 

 

 

 

7.0

Finance

 

 

 

 

7.1

Financial Statement – Statement to 17th January 2010 was agreed and signed.

 

 

 

 

8.0

Cemetery

 

 

 

 

8.1

The Clerk advised that she would be meeting with Nick Funicane of Ivy Cottage shortly to assess the available area. Clerk to advise councillors of date of meeting to accompany her.

SV

 

 

 

9.0

Planning

 

 

 

 

9.1

Cookswood Quarry – MR, AS and CC to attend meeting focussing on Highways aspect of the application on Thursday 21st January at MDC.

 

MR/AS/CC

 

 

 

9.2

The Chair updated the council on recently granted planning applications (The Bell Inn, Leigh Street)

 

 

 

 

9.3

Provision of future housing development in Mendip – Councillors attended the consultation meeting and reported that LoM had been qualified as a village with a level of development of an additional 20 dwellings over 20 years (2006 to 2026), with no further infrastructure. 10 of these have already been completed. It was felt that the proposal was acceptable and realistic. However, Clerk to return Feedback Form highlighting the need for ‘adequate local transport from smaller villages to “hub” villages (e.g.  doctors surgery in Coleford but currently no direct bus from Leigh on Mendip to Coleford)’.

 

 

 

 

SV

 

 

 

10.0

Provision of Grit Bins

 

 

 

 

10.1

Clerk tabled a letter from a resident in Soho Hill/Tweed Farm asking for a grit bin to be installed in that stretch of road which had proven really treacherous during the snowy conditions.

It was assessed that there is currently only one grit bin in the parish, on Whitehole Hill.

Clerk to find out exact price of grit bins and what sort of salt/grit is provided once the bins are installed, with a view to purchasing a bin for Soho Hill (in conjunction with Coleford PC) and a further one to be placed on the corner of Knapp Hill.

All councillors were requested to consider suitable sites for further salt bins in the parish, to be discussed at Feb meeting.

 

 

 

SV

 

ALL

 

 

 


 

11.0

Provision of Dog Bin

 

 

 

 

11.1

MO reported having spoken to June Brewster who is very happy for a dog bin to be installed on the existing post along the church perimeter wall. It was also suggested to purchase an ‘official dog bin’ on the Rec Field. SV to email GC to request a grant to buy the bins.

 

 

SV

 

 

 

12.0

Parish Plan Actins

 

 

 

 

12.1

Village sign – VT confirmed that Jeff Body was interested in principle and had suggested to come along to February’s meeting to discuss the matter.  This was agreed. VT to invite Mr Body.

 

VT

 

 

 

13.0

Comments on MDC draft Gypsy and Traveller Strategy

 

 

 

 

13.1

Both a Parish Forum and a EMCP had presented this strategy. CC and  RM/VT had attended respectively. The strategy was now for a larger number of smaller sites, rather than a few big sites; VT stated it appears to be a good/sensible proposal but it is probable that LoM will not be affected as there are no facilities in the village (i.e. shop).  No comments to be returned.

 

 

 

 

14.0

Councillors’ Reports 

 

 

                                 

 

14.1

PCSO – Last report circulated. Clerk advised that the PCSO had been outside the school to monitor parking outside the school.

 

 

 

 

14.2

Footpaths – Further to the letters issued before Christmas, Clerk to thank the residents of Corner Cottage and Ivy Cottage for prompt dealing with the hedges on the footpath towards Soho.

Kozy Kot - Clerk to enquire with neighbours and MDC if they have contact details.

 

SV

 

SV

 

 

 

14.2.1

MO currently talking to Highways and Tarmac regarding the stile to get into the quarry where there is a long drop. Also to contact the quarry to seek a permissive way from east of Barnsclose quarry footpath onto the Holcombe quarry circular walk.

 

 

MO

 

 

 

14.3

Highways – Following damage to the roads after the cold spell, Somerset County Council are asking residents who identify potholes and to report them through their website or by ringing 0845 345 9155.

 

 

 

 

14.4

Rec Field – Forthcoming event: Barn Dance on 6th March 2010, 7.30pm for 8pm, with two options of curry. Tickets available from Vicky Higgins, Rose Martin.

 

 

 

 

14.4.1

Chair reminded RM that no grant had been awarded to the Rec Field this year, although monies had been earmarked. RM asked that this be added to next year’s monies to resurface playground with a more permanent surface.

 

 

 

 

14.5

Memorial Hall – Forthcoming events:

·      Comedy Show in conjunction with Bath Comedy Festival, Saturday13th March 2010. £5 to include nibbles, not drinks.

·      Quiz night – Saturday 27th March 2010, 7.30 bar, 8pm start. £8 for team of 4.

Next meeting on 1st February 2010.

 

 

 

 

14.6

School – Headteacher interviews scheduled for 21st March 2010. 

 

 

 

 

14.7

SALC – Nothing further to report.

 

 

 

 

14.8

Quarry – Next meeting on 18th March 2010. Nothing further to report.

 

 

 

 

14.9

Website – CC reported that updates had not been possible since 1st January due to a technical problem.  Tom Turner is kindly assisting with rectification.

 

 

 

 

15.0

Meetings attended (including training courses)/to be attended

 

 

 

 

15.1

Meetings to be attended:

  • 19th January - Cookswood Quarry Stoke St Michael open meeting
  • 21st January - Cookswood Quarry. Highways input to Parish Councillors
  • 1st February – Mendip Parish Forum. Agenda to be emailed to all.
  • 2nd February – East Mendip Community Partnership
  • 16th February - SALC Clerks’ workshop. Unanimously agreed for Clerk to attend.

 

ALL
  

RM/AS/CC
CC
RM/VT

SV

 

 

 

16.0

Correspondence

 

 

 

 

16.1

No correspondence was circulated.

 

 

 

 

17.0

Date & time of next meeting

 

 

 

 

17.1

The next Parish Council Meeting will be held on 15th February 2010, at 7.30 in the Memorial Hall, Committee Room.