DRAFT MINUTES

 

LEIGH ON MENDIP PARISH COUNCIL MEETING

held on 15th March 2010

 at 7.30pm in the Memorial Hall

 
 

Councillors Present

Chris Cudmore – Chairman (CC), Rose Martin (RM), Matthew Odolphie (MO), Alf Smith (AS), Vicki Taylor (VT) and Brenda Wigmore (BW).

The meeting was also attended by Claire Fleming (CF), District Councillor, and artist/sculptor Jeff Body.

Clerk – Sandrine Vaillant (SV).

 

 

 

 

 

Action

1.0

Apologies

 

 

 

 

1.1

Apologies were received and accepted from Marsha Read (MR).

 

 

 

 

2.0

Declarations of Interest

 

 

 

 

2.1

No interest was declared.

 

 

 

 

3.0

Agreement to minutes of meeting held on 15/02/10 and Matters Arising

 

 

 

 

3.1

The minutes of the meeting held on 15th February 2010 were agreed as a true and accurate record of the meeting held, with an amendment to (7.5) Grant Request from WI for Annual Litter Pick – should have read cheque #585 was signed (not #584).

 

 

 

 

 

It was agreed to bring forward Item 7.0 ‘New Village Sign’ after agreeing the minutes of the last meeting due to the attendance of Jeff Body; and this was discussed before reviewing the matters arising.

 

 

 

 

3.2

(6.4) Provision of Grit/Salt Bins – Clerk has met with Richard Branchflower of SCC to agree the location of the bins and to proceed with the order of green bins if possible as agreed by show of hands (otherwise Yellow).

 

 

SV

 

 

 

3.3

(6.5) Provision of Dog Bins – After consultation with members of the Rec Field committee who currently empty the bins, BW suggested siting the bin near the entrance to the Rec Field (lhs when turning in with car), where there is a white post with a no dog fouling sign. Clerk to find out how often the bins are emptied by MDC’s contractors and to order once grant monies have been received.

 

 

 

 

SV

 

 

 

3.4

(6.7) Overhanging hedge at Koz-e-Kot – The current owners of Koz-e-Kot have not contacted the council. Clerk to enquire with family following interment of Mr Moss; and RM to enquire separately with a resident who was in contact with Mr Moss when he lived at the property.

 

 

 

SV/RM

 

 

 

3.5

(6.8) Permissive way from east of Barnsclose Quarry onto Holcombe Quarry – MO is meeting with Quarry manager on Thursday to discuss a permissive footpath. AS and CC to accompany MO.

 

 

MO/AS/CC

 

 

 

3.6

(7.2) Transfer of monies from Savings account to current account – Action complete.

 

 

 

 

3.7

(10.1) PCSO – RM to issue letter in support of PCSO in the light of very short staffing.

RM

 

 

 

3.8

(10.1.1) Provision of high-visibility jackets for future litter pick-ups – CC to query at Quarry meeting on Thursday 18th March. CF advised that Mary Pearce at Coleford had some high visibility jackets, which we may be able to borrow for future litter pick-ups.

 

CC

 

 

 

 

3.9

(10.2.1) Footpath across field beyond Sparks Farm to be left unploughed in grassy condition – Clerk to contact Mr Massey.

 

SV

 

 

 

3.10

(10.4) Notice re. Youth club – Action complete.

 

 

 

 

4.0

District & County Councillors’ Reports

 

 

 

 

4.1

CF confirmed that kerbside pick-up of plastic and cardboard for recycling had been agreed by all four local authorities and should go ahead.

 

 

 

 

4.2

Cookswood Quarry – Date for Planning Committee meeting at MDC not set. CF agreed to advise parish when a date is known.

 

 

 

 

 

4.3

MO raised the matter of the footpaths department moving to SCC, away from MDC and Shepton Mallet, and voiced concerns that the knowledge of a local person will be lost. CF believes the department might be moving to Glastonbury to join Highways but is unsure about the level of staffing for the new department.

 

 

 

 

5.0

Finance

 

 

 

 

5.1

Financial Statement – Statement to 14th March 2010 was agreed and signed.

 

 

 

 

5.2

Risk & Financial Review – AS agreed to review with SV.

AS/SV

 

 

 

5.3

Asset & Risks Audit – AS agreed to review with SV.

AS/SV

 

 

 

5.4

SALC Membership Renewal – AS proposed and VT seconded to renew the membership to SALC. Unanimously agreed. Cheque #587 was agreed and signed.

 

 

 

 

5.5

Clerk Salary – Clerk presented invoices for the period of Dec-March in respect of the Parish Council and an annual invoice with respect to the Cemetery. Cheques #588 (Parish Council – VT proposes, BW seconded) and #097 (Cemetery - RM proposed, BW seconded) were agreed and signed.

 

 

 

 

6.0

Cemetery

 

 

 

 

6.1

Cemetery Extension – Clerk reported on her positive meeting with M. Funicane; and subsequent conversation with Margaret Loten who advised that the land had been looked at in 1997/98 and that following a survey it was found not to be suitable for a cemetery. Clerk to investigate.

 

 

 

SV

 

 

 

7.0

New Village Sign

 

 

 

 

7.1

Jeff Body introduced himself, showed examples of his work and explained his method of working within a community to achieve a work of art, in this case, a tailor-made village sign (moulded/sculpted concrete slabs to be fixed to slab obtained from quarry if possible). Prices range from £350 for one day’s work within a school with 2 pieces of plaster, moulding and a final concrete cast to be kept by the school to £600 involving 6 x 3 hrs sessions with various public bodies + finishing (moulding and final concrete cast).

Jeff also pointed out that the parish would be keeping the final cast of the design, so that further village signs could be made as and when they are needed/finances allow.

 

 

 

 

7.2

It was felt that Jeff Body’s proposal was very exciting and a discussion followed regarding how his approach could work within the village community. To be discussed further next month.

 

 

 

 

 

 

7.3

CC to ask at the Quarry Liaison Meeting if the quarry would donate a slab.

CC

 

 

 

8.0

Parish Plan Actions

 

 

 

 

8.1

No further actions. With the grant for the dog bins having been secured and the PC looking at replacing the village sign, VT and BW were pleased to report that all actions identified in the village plan had been carried out.

 

 

 

 

9.0

Councillors’ Reports 

 

 

                                 

 

9.1

PCSO – Last report was circulated. No meeting has been held since last PC meeting.

CC reported the PCSO had recently been involved in an issue regarding travellers on Bector Lane at the boundary of the parish, although it is not certain whether travellers are within the parish.

 

 

 

 

9.2

Footpaths – MO explained which paths he is looking at creating.

 

 

 

 

 

Report on stiles – MO to speak to Brian Loten to inspect targeted stiles and gates this year.

MO

 

 

 

9.3

Highways – Potholes still to be reported by the public to Highways, who are making good the holes.

 

 

 

 

9.4

Rec Field – Barn Dance went well and made a profit of around £200.

Looking at grants for upgrading surfacing in play area.

AGM on 28th April 2010, 7.30pm.

RM confirmed that she would carry on in her role as Rec Field rep at the parish council.

 

 

 

 

9.5

Memorial Hall –Next meeting on 29th March. Nothing further to report.

Forthcoming events:

·      Quiz night – Saturday 27th March 2010, 7.30 bar, 8pm start. £8 for team of 4.

·      Fashion Show – Tuesday 11th May (Details on the website).

 

 

 

 

9.6

School – School has been busy preparing for headteacher interview on 23rd March. As part of the interview process, the school has invited chairs of all different groups in the village to attend lunch at the Bell; and CC to attend on behalf of the Parish Council.

 

 

 

 

9.7

SALC – CC attended SALF meeting on 1st March. Main points of discussion:-

·      Code of Conduct – new legislation to come out after elections.

·      Be aware of MDC and District Councils devolution of powers (and costs).

·      Model Standing Orders – CC advised about new consultation.

·      Update about salt bins insurance and liability.

·      Next meeting 7th June 2010.

 

 

 

 

9.8

Quarry – Next Liaison meeting on Thursday 18th March 2010.  

CC advised that a resident had contacted the Parish Council to make a complaint following damage to a property at the quarry-end of the village, possibly due to quarry activities. This will be reported at the Quarry Liaison Meeting.

CC/AS/MO to attend

 

 

 

10.0

Meetings attended (including training courses)/to be attended

 

 

 

 

10.1

Meetings attended:

  • 16th February - SALC Clerks’ workshop.
  • 1st March – SALC East Area Meeting.

 

Meetings to be attended:

  • 24th March – Health & Safety Awareness for Elected Members
  • 26th March – Somerset Chairman’s Award (RM attending, CC to put details on the website).
  • 30th March – East Mendip Community Partnership
  • 19th April – Parish Forum (attendance to be decided)
  • 20th May – next PCSO meeting (RM).

 

 

 

 

 

RM/CC

 

RM/VT

 

RM

 

 

 

11.0

Correspondence

 

 

 

 

11.1

CC asked Councillors to email him suggestions for articles to be included in the parish newsletter so that a draft can be reviewed at the April meeting.

All

 

 

 

11.2

The following correspondence was circulated:-

·         Subscription to Community Council for Somerset

·         Letter from Mr & Mrs Cox, Tweed Farm

·         Letter re. maintenance of public rights of way in Somerset

·         Thank you letter from Victim Support

·         PCSO February report

·         Gloria Cawood; County Councillor Report

·         Parishes information bulletin, March 2010

·         The Clerk Magazine, March 2010

 

 

 

 

12.0

Date & time of next meeting

 

 

 

 

12.1

The next Parish Council Meeting will be held on 19th April 2010, at 7.30 in the Memorial Hall, Committee Room.