DRAFT   MINUTES

 

LEIGH ON MENDIP PARISH COUNCIL MEETING

held on 19th April 2010

 at 7.30pm in the Memorial Hall

 

Councillors Present

Rose Martin (RM), Alf Smith (AS), Vicki Taylor (VT) and Brenda Wigmore (BW).

The meeting was also attended by Keith Cockroft, Internal Auditor.

Clerk – Sandrine Vaillant (SV).

 

 

 

 

 

Action

1.0

Apologies

 

 

 

 

1.1

Apologies were received and accepted from Chris Cudmore – Chairman (CC), Matthew Odolphie (MO) and Marsha Read (MR).

 

 

 

 

1.2

VT (vice chair) chaired the meeting in the absence of Chris Cudmore.

 

 

 

 

2.0

Declarations of Interest

 

 

 

 

2.1

No interest was declared.

 

 

 

 

3.0

Agreement to minutes of meeting held on 15/03/10 and Matters Arising

 

 

 

 

3.1

The minutes of the meeting held on 15th March 2010 were agreed as a true and accurate record of the meeting held, with one small amendment to item 3.7 for which the action should have read RM, not MR.

 

 

 

 

3.2

(3.2) Provision of Grit/Salt Bins – Following enquiries with SCC, Clerk has ordered 6 yellow grit bins. Working parties to be organised for installation of bins once delivered.

 

SV

 

 

 

3.3

(3.3) Provision of Dog Bins – Clerk awaiting receipt of grant monies before proceeding with the order and, following enquiries with MDC, confirmed that the bins would be emptied at least weekly.

 

 

SV

 

 

 

3.4

(3.4) Overhanging hedge at Koz-e-Kot – No success was had contacting the current land owners. Clerk has contacted SCC who will survey the hedge in order to consider whether or not to send machinery to cut the hedge back. Clerk to pursue.

 

 

SV

 

 

 

3.5

(3.5) Permissive way from east of Barnsclose Quarry onto Holcombe Quarry – See item 12.2, Footpaths. 

 

 

 

 

3.6

(3.7) PCSO – RM advised that she had received an email from PCSO asking that a letter  in support of our local PCSO in the light of very short staffing is not issued as changes are being made within the organisation. Following discussion, it was unanimously agreed not to pursue. Action complete.

 

 

 

 

3.7

(3.8) Provision of high-visibility jackets for future litter pick-ups – The PC should be able to borrow some from the quarry, if demand exists. Clerk to contact Yvonne Hughes, president of WI, to assess future requirements.

 

 

SV

 

 

 

3.8

(3.9) Footpath across field beyond Sparks Farm to be left unploughed in grassy condition – Clerk to contact Mr Massey.

 

SV

 

 

 

3.9

Report on Stiles – MO not present to report. The bad condition of some stiles around the parish was reported to MO. Stile disrepair to be discussed at next meeting.

 

 

 

 

4.0

District & County Councillors’ Reports

 

 

 

 

4.1

No district and county councillors present due to upcoming elections.

 

 

 

 

4.2

Reduction of Street Lighting at night – Clerk to speak to SCC to find out if trials have been assessed and whether reduction of street lighting is being envisaged in the district.

 

Clerk also to enquire as to the 4 new brighter lights, which have been installed in the village (to do with the new scheme?), and why they have been installed next to existing posts.

 

SV

 

 

 

SV

 

 

 

5.0

Finance

 

 

 

 

5.1

Financial Statement – Two financial statements were presented (one to 31st March 2010 and one to 18th April 2010), agreed and signed.

 

 

 

 

5.2

End of Year Account / Annual Return – Clerk circulated the end of year accounts and presented the annual return. Both were agreed and signed.

 

 

 

 

5.3

Assets and Risk Audit Reports – following review by Clerk and AS, reports were presented and agreed, with recommendations to be implemented. Item to be included on the agenda monthly until all actions have been completed.

 

Listing of Assets – Clerk to enquire with Peter Lacey as to why assets are listed as historical value, rather than actual value.

 

SV

 

 

 

SV

 

 

 

5.4

Internal Auditor Remuneration – Clerk advised that in order to pay the internal auditor by cheque, it was needed to agree to do so in advance of the work being undertaken by the auditor. Quotation by internal auditor unanimously agreed.

 

 

 

 

5.5

Renewal of Employer Liability Insurance – After reviewing the literature sent, Clerk recommended to renew the Employer Liability Insurance on the basis of the quotation received. It was unanimously agreed (RM proposes, AS seconds) to renew the insurance. Cheque #589 agreed and signed.

 

 

 

 

6.0

Cemetery

 

 

 

 

6.1

Mowing invoice – no invoice was received, although Clerk confirmed that D. Jarvis had undertaken some cuts in April.

 

 

 

 

6.2

2009/10 Hedge Cutting invoice – It was unanimously agreed to pay R. Cambourne’s invoice for cutting the hedge, as per quotation dated March 2009. Cheque #98 agreed and signed.

 

 

 

 

6.3

New Cemetery Update - Clerk advised that she had spent some time reading previous minutes on the website but that not enough detail had been recorded. Clerk and RM to ask previous Chairs (officiating around the time the cemetery was acquired) to try and gain insight into the matter.

Clerk to write to Mr Funicane and Ms Hudson to explain the situation.

 

 

 

RM/SV

SV

 

 

 

7.0

Planning

 

 

 

 

7.1

Cookswood Quarry -  All reports have been now been issued and received by planners. Planning officer preparing his report. PC to be advised when planning meeting is to take place.

 

 

 

 

7.2

Grove Shute Farm – Planning officer preparing his report. PC to be advised when decision has been made.

 

 

 

 

8.0

Draft Sustainable Community Strategy

 

 

 

 

8.1

No comments.

 

 

 

 

9.0

Parish Newsletter

 

 

 

 

9.1

Draft newsletter was circulated and commented upon. Clerk to organise printing with the school and councillors to distribute asap, to give ample notice for AGM.

 

ALL

 

 

 

9.2

BW raised the matter of the accessibility of the minutes to older/less mobile members of the community. BW agreed to print larger sets of the minutes each month for distribution to older people, if required.

 

It was also suggested that a set be made available at meetings of the Active Living Centre. Clerk to enquire with G. Harris.

 

 

 

 

 

SV

 

 

 

10.0

New Village Sign

 

 

 

 

10.1

A discussion took place following Jeff Body’s visit last month. AS proposed, BW seconded and all agreed to move forward in principle with Jeff Body leading and creating/ designing the new village sign, with the involvement of the community.

 

 

 

 

 

 

10.2

Clerk suggested a working party is set up to meet with Jeff to discuss working options and costings. RM & BW and VT to meet up with Jeff Body and to report to PC at May meeting.

 

 

RM/BW/VT

 

 

 

10.3

Tarmac agreed in principle to provide the stone to be used as the base of the sign. They would welcome the Artist/community to visit in order to choose a piece of stone. However, parish to organise transport and exact dimensions to be given.

 

 

 

 

11.0

Parking in the Village

 

 

 

 

11.1

RM reported on comments she had received from parishioners about coming out of Park Hayes entrances. Chair suggested to involve our PCSO, RM to contact.

Keith Cockroft who was present at the meeting agreed to speak to one of the residents near the junction to cut the overhanging trees, as it was felt that overgrown vegetation, together with parked cars, was partly to blame for the lack of visibility at the junctions.

 

RM

 

 

 

 

12.0

Councillors’ Reports

 

 

                                 

 

12.1

PCSO – Yvonne has been sick for some time and last report was circulated prior to the meeting. Next liaison meeting 20th May.

 

 

 

 

12.2

Footpaths – Permissive way from east of Barnsclose Quarry onto Holcombe Quarry: the owner of the field next to the quarry has been identified. MO to pursue.

 

MO

 

 

 

12.3

Highways – Nothing further to report.

 

 

 

 

12.4

Rec Field – Nothing further to report. AGM on 28th April 2010, 7.30pm.

 

 

 

 

12.5

Memorial Hall –Nothing further to report.

Forthcoming events:

·      Fashion Show – Tuesday 11th May. Entry strictly by ticket only, £5 to include a glass of wine or soft drink (further details on the website).

 

 

 

 

12.6

School – VT reported that a new head teacher to start in September had been appointed last month.

 

 

 

 

12.7

SALC – SALC Meeting was being held at the same time as the parish meeting and it was not possible to make a representation.

 

 

 

 

12.8

Quarry – AS reported on meeting attended on Thursday 18th March 2010.

Quarry blasting seem to have increased in noise and strength (one particularly strong blast was noted by several residents and pupils at the school on Monday 19th April 2010) – to be reported to the quarry.

 

 

 

CC

 

 

 

10.0

Meetings attended (including training courses)/to be attended

 

 

 

 

10.1

Meetings attended:

  • 26th March – Somerset Chairman’s Award

 

Meetings to be attended:

  • 20th May – next PCSO meeting
  • 1st June - East Mendip Community Partnership

 

 

 

 

RM

 

 

 

11.0

Correspondence

 

 

 

 

11.1

Aggregates consultation – Councillors to comment by 15th May on the consultation in the correspondence file for clerk to compile and present at the May meeting.

 

ALL

 

 

 

11.2

AS advised that he would be standing down from the parish council after the AGM in May and was thanked for his contribution to the community.

 

 

 

 

11.2

The following correspondence was circulated:-

·          Updated contact list for Parish Council

·         Somerset Aggregates Paper – Consultation documents

·         Letter from MDC re. Grounds Maintenance services

·         Letter from SCC re. Management of Public Rights of way

·         Cookswood Quarry – Highways Recommendation letter

·         PCSO Report for March & April 2010

·         Parishes Information Bulleting April & May 2010

·         Speed Indicator Device Installations schedule

·         Paperwork/slides from H&S session at MDC

·         Clerks & Councils Direct 2010

·         April/May/Summer newsletters: St Margaret’s Hospice, Avon & Somerset Policy Authority, Your Somerset, TwentyFourSeven

 

 

 

 

12.0

Date & time of next meeting

 

 

 

 

12.1

The AGM will be held at 7.30pm and the Annual Parish Meeting at 8.00pm on 17th May 2010 in the Memorial Hall. Clerk to organise refreshments.

 

SV