DRAFT  MINUTES

 

LEIGH ON MENDIP ANNUAL PARISH COUNCIL MEETING

held on 17th May 2010

 at 7.30pm in the Memorial Hall

 

 

Councillors Present

Chris Cudmore – Chairman (CC), Rose Martin (RM), Matthew Odolphie (MO), Marsha Read (MR), Alf Smith (AS) and Vicki Taylor (VT).

Clerk – Sandrine Vaillant (SV).

 

The meeting was attended by around 16 parishioners, and Phil Ham (PH) District Councillor.

 

 

 

 

 

Action

1.0

Apologies

 

 

 

 

1.1

Apologies were received and accepted from BW.

 

 

 

 

4.0

Election of Chairman and Vice Chairman

 

 

 

 

4.1

Vicki Taylor proposed that Chris Cudmore be re-elected as Chairman, seconded by Marsha Read, unanimous vote followed. The appropriate Declaration of Acceptance Form was signed by Chris Cudmore.

 

 

 

 

4.2

Vice Chairman - RM proposed that VT took office as Vice-chairman, seconded by MO, unanimous vote followed. VT was re-appointed as Vice Chairman.

 

 

 

 

3.0

Minutes of the last Annual Parish Council Meeting and matters arising

 

 

 

 

3.1

The minutes of the meeting held on 18th May 2009 were agreed as a true and accurate record of the meeting held and were signed by the Chair.

 

 

 

 

5.0

Election of Representatives

 

 

 

 

5.1

Representatives agreed to carry on their roles on the various bodies in the village as follows:-

 

 

 

 

 

Chris Cudmore              Quarries / Highways / SALC / Website

Rose Martin                   Recreation Field / PCSO Liaison / East Mendip CP

Marsha Read                 Memorial Hall

Matthew Odolphie        Footpaths

Vicki Taylor                  School / East Mendip Community Partnership

Brenda Wigmore           TBC

 

 

 

 

6.0

Finance

 

 

 

 

6.1

Financial statements – No financial Statement was presented as all files and folders were with the internal auditor for annual audit.

 

 

 

 

6.2

Agreement to Annual Return – The internal Auditor’s report was read and the Annual Return was completed and agreed. Clerk to return to Moore Stephens.

 

SV

 

 

 

6.3

Payment of invoice for purchase of salt/grit bins – Glasdon’s invoice 35753 for £928.27 was agreed, as per the minutes dated 15/02/10, item 6.4. Cheque #590 signed.

 

 

 

 

6.4

Payment of invoice for purchase of dog bins – Glasdon’s invoice 588707 for £486.84 was agreed, as per the minutes dated 15/02/10, item 6.5, and receipt of monies on 7/05/10. Cheque #591 signed.

 

 

 

 

6.5

Payment of invoice for printing Annual Newsletter – Leigh On Mendip 1st School’s invoice I/136 was agreed, as per quote and minutes dated 19/04/10, item 9.1. Cheque #592 signed.

 

 

 

 

 

The Meeting was interrupted to hold the Annual Parish Meeting

 

 

 

 

7.0

Cemetery 

 

 

 

 

7.1

Dave Jarvis’ invoice #44, dated 25th April 2010, for grass cutting on 9th and 23rd April 2010 was agreed. Cheque #99 was signed.

 

 

 

 

8.0

Planning Applications / Updates

 

 

 

 

8.1

The Chair updated the council on the positions of previous planning applications.

 

 

 

 

8.2

The main planning applications dealt with within the year were discussed/summarised during the Annual Parish Meeting. Update on Cookswood Quarry was discussed.

 

 

 

 

9.0

Somerset Aggregates Paper –Consultation

 

 

 

 

9.1

No comments were made on the consultation paper which was reviewed by the councillors but it was noted that the paper was very difficult to understand and inaccessible.

As PH advised that the deadline for consultation responses had been pushed back and it was felt that the consultation was important to the parish, which is in a quarrying area, it was agreed to contact SCC to invite them to a meeting to speak through the paper and explain it to us. CC to write to East Mendip Community Partnership and MDC to suggest a session is done on this consultation.

 

 

 

 

 

 

CC

 

 

 

9.0

Urgent updates from Councillors

 

 

 

 

9.1

Grit/salt bins installation has been deferred until September, as they will not be needed until the autumn at the earliest and to avoid installing and leaving them empty all summer.

 

 

 

 

9.2

Village Signs – The working party has organised to meet with Jeff Body very shortly and also advised that funding in the form of a grant from ‘Awards for All’ might be a possibility. Securing a larger grant would allow for extended consultation and work between Jeff Body and the various community groups and possibly replacing all three village signs at once. VT to also speak to Mr Bunting at MDC, responsible for Highways and who will advise on the emplacement and designs allowed.

 

 

 

 

9.3

Light reduction trials – Clerk has contacted SCC regarding the trials, which unfortunately have come to a halt due to the change of local government last year and cessation of funding. SCC are looking at other ways to fund the trials and confirmed that L-o-M’s interested in light reduction was registered with them.

 

 

 

 

9.4

Installation of new lamp posts – SCC also confirmed that new lamp posts had been installed in the village as part as the ongoing maintenance programme. However, there has been a change of contractor recently, which means that posts cannot be erected and old ones taken away at the same time as the different posts are the responsibility of different contractors. 

 

 

 

 

9.4

Stiles Survey - MO confirmed he had undertaken a condition survey and gave an update on the general condition of the 114 stiles around the parish.

 

 

 

 

10.0

Meetings attended/to be attended

 

 

 

 

10.1

Police liaison meeting – 20th May; RM to attend.

East Mendip Community Partnership – 1st June; VT and RM to attend depending on Agenda.

SALC meeting – 1st June. SV & CC to attend.

Footpaths – 16th June, Batcombe; MO & RM to attend.

 

 

 

 

11.0

Date & time of next meeting

 

 

 

 

11.1

The next Parish Council Meeting will be held on 21st June 2010, at 7.30 in the Memorial Hall, Committee Room.