DRAFT  MINUTES

 

LEIGH ON MENDIP ANNUAL PARISH MEETING

held on 17th May 2010

 at 8.00pm in the Memorial Hall

 

 

 

Councillors Present

Chris Cudmore – Chairman (CC), Rose Martin (RM), Matthew Odolphie (MO), Marsha Read (MR), Alf Smith (AS) and Vicki Taylor (VT).

Clerk – Sandrine Vaillant (SV).

The meeting was attended by around 16 parishioners, and Phil Ham (PH) District Councillor.

 

 

 

 

 

Action

1.0

Apologies

 

 

 

 

1.1

Apologies were received from Brenda Wigmore.

 

 

 

 

2.0

Meeting

 

 

 

 

2.1

Chair welcomed the public and introduced the parish meeting.

 

 

 

 

3.0

Report from Parish Council

 

 

 

 

2.2

Chair introduced the new members of the council (Matthew Odolphie and Brenda Wigmore) to the parishioners present. Thanks were extended to Alf Smith who will be leaving after this meeting, leaving one vacancy which is being advertised.

 

 

 

 

2.3

District Councillors were thanked for their support, as well as County Councillor, Gloria Caywood, for her support.

 

 

 

 

2.4

The chair ran through the items listed in the Annual Newsletter. Particular attention was given to:

 

 

 

 

2.4.1

Planning – Planning applications discussed throughout the year were summarised, the main one being Cookswood Holiday Retreat. A meeting to discuss a decision is anticipated to take place mid-June. Chair summarised the council’s position with regard to this application, in that we supported the application, listing out benefits and some disadvantages.

 

 

 

 

2.4.2

Highways – The issue of parking around the school and the numerous potholes resulting from the cold weather were mentioned. Chair also advised that, following discussions with Highways, new lines would be painted on the road at Townsend to try and prevent further accidents in the future.

 

 

 

 

2.4.3

Hedge cutting in the village - Chair to write to Connaught to ask them to make sure they sweep the pavement all the way along from the school to Barnes Close Quarry.

 

CC

 

 

 

2.4.4

PCSO - Yvonne Mears’ report was read. PH confirmed that a New Superintendent had taken position. Speeding is main problem around this area.

 

 

 

 

2.4.5

Footpaths – The Council is contacting landowners with regards to rights of ways during the ploughing season, so that all paths are maintained and practicable. 

 

SV

 

 

 

2.4.6

Dog bins – It was confirmed that the 2 dogs bins had been installed (thank you to Frank and Vicky Higgins and Matthew Odolphie). Clerk to contact MDC so that their contractors can start emptying the bins.

 

 

SV

 

 

 

2.4.7

Quarry – Liaison meetings have resumed this year. Chair updated on activity at the quarry, including building work in the Rookery Farmhouse.

 

 

 

 

2.4.8

Quarry – The public was asked to note dates and times of extraordinary or larger blasts and/or damage and to report it to the parish so that it can be discussed with the quarry management team at Quarry Liaison Meetings.

SV to contact Mrs Moorhead to find out if any progress had been made with regard to the damage to her property.

 

 

 

 

SV

 

 

 

2.4.9

Website – Chair reminded residents that a ‘local business’ page had been added to the website, advising to contact him if they wanted business details added to the list.

 

 

 

 

2.4.10

Finally, councillors were thanked for their voluntary work throughout the year.

 

 

 

 

3.0

Report from Recreation Field Management Committee

 

 

 

 

3.1

Vicky Higgins read through the minutes of the Rec Field AGM, and briefly listed the major works and activities which took place over the last year.  

 

 

 

 

4.0

Memorial Hall

 

 

 

 

4.1

Keith Cockroft read report prepared by Sue Vaughan, chairwoman of Hall Committee and briefly ran through the maintenance works and activities which took place over the year. 

Thanks were extended to the Parish Council for their continued support.  

 

 

 

 

5.0

Open session

 

 

 

 

5.1

Quarry lorries driving through the village without sheeting. It was explained that this temporary activity was due to the current road dressing exercise being undertaken at the moment. MO to ring up SCC Highways to report.

 

 

MO

 

 

 

5.2

PH advised the Memorial Hall representative that an application for a grant for the insulation works in the hall would need to be handed in as soon as possible as the meeting had been set for July.

 

 

 

 

5.3

Churchyard – Repair of the wall, tree and church stones. It was reported that the Yew trees had not been trimmed for a while. SV to contact MDC as we are paying special rates through our Council Tax and that no inspection or upkeep has taken place.

 

 

SV

 

 

 

 

No further issues were raised and the meeting was closed.