MINUTES

LEIGH ON MENDIP PARISH COUNCIL MEETING

held on 21st June 2010

 at 7.30pm in the Memorial Hall

 

Councillors Present

Chris Cudmore – Chairman (CC), Rose Martin (RM), Vicki Taylor (VT)

Clerk – Sandrine Vaillant (SV).

 

The meeting was also attended by Yvonne Mears (YM), PCSO, Gloria Cawood, County Councillor, and three residents.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Action

 

Chair introduced the meeting and advised that items would be dealt with in a slightly different order than that on the agenda for the convenience of visitors in attendance. 

 

 

 

 

1.0

Apologies

 

 

 

 

1.1

Apologies were received from Matthew Odolphie (MO), Marsha Read (MR) and Brenda Wigmore (BW).

 

 

 

 

2.0

Declarations of Interest

 

 

 

 

2.1

RM declared an interest in Planning Application 2010/0969.

 

 

 

 

3.0

Agreement to minutes of meeting held on 19/04/10 and Matters Arising from meetings of 19/04/10

 

 

 

 

3.1

The minutes of the meeting held on 19th April 2010 were agreed as a true and accurate record of the meeting held.

 

 

 

 

3.2

(3.2 & 3.3) Provision of Dog and salt/grit bins – Bins have been ordered and are now in place as per minutes of May meeting (item 9.1). Action complete.

June Brewster suggested that the bin located outside the churchyard be moved as it seems seldom being used. CC proposed that it is left until September/October to give a chance for people to get used to it. All agreed. Clerk to advise Ms Brewster.

 

 

 

 

SV

 

 

 

3.3

(3.4) Overhanging hedge at Koz-e-Kot – The council is now in communication with the land owner, who has promised to cut the hedge back in September after the nesting season.  Clerk to monitor.

 

 

 

 

3.4

(3.7) High-visibility jackets for future litter pick-ups – The WI have expressed an interest in borrowing jackets from the quarry for future litter pick-ups. Advised to contact the Chair or the Clerk in advance of future pick-ups. Action complete.

 

 

 

 

3.5

(19/04/10, 3.8 & 17/05/10, 2.4.5) Footpaths – Sparks farm situation is being monitored by the footpaths officer, who has given a warning to remedy the footpath by the end of June. Action complete.

 

 

 

 

3.6

(4.2) Reduced street lighting at night – Clerk updated the council as per minutes of May meeting, item 9.3. Action complete. Gloria Cawood advised that Westbury were conducting a trial and will try to obtain a progress report.  

 

 

 

 

3.7

(5.3) Listing of Assets – Assets should be listed as ‘historical value’ as per The Governance and Accountability in Local Council’s Practitioner’s Guide. Action complete.

 

 

 

 

3.8

(9.2) Clerk to enquire with G. Harris whether a set of PC minutes could be made available at meetings of the Active Living Centre. Ongoing. David Pattison (DP), present at the meeting, suggested using Arial font on the minutes displayed in the noticeboards.

 

 

SV

 

 

 

3.9

(11.1) Visibility at Park Hayes entrance – Referred to PCSO. Action complete.

 

 

 

 

3.10

(12.2) Permissive way from East of Barnsclose Quarry onto Holcombe Quarry – MO not present. Update at next meeting.

 

 

 

 

 

Matters Arising from Meeting of 17/05/10 (if not dealt with above)

 

 

 

 

3.11

(6.2) Annual Return was sent to the auditors. Awaiting response, action complete.

 

 

 

 

3.12

(9.1) Somerset Aggregates Paper – See item 10.0 below.

 

 

 

 

3.13

(2.4.3) CC has written to Connaught who have confirmed they would send someone to sweep the pavement leading towards Barnsclose quarry.

 

 

 

 

3.14

(2.4.8) Clerk updated the council on the situation with the broken window at 2 The Sawmills, which has now been resolved. Following investigations by Tarmac, it is thought that the shattering of the window could have been caused by exceptionally cold weather at that time of year, against the warmth of the house causing the glass to break. The resident stated that she was happy with this explanation and grateful for Tarmac’s investigation. Action complete. 

 

 

 

 

 

3.15

(5.1) Quarry lorries driving through the village without sheeting – Top dressing of the roads has now finished but the problem was reported to MDC. MO has spoken to Somerset Highways who have responded they would pass it to the contractor. DP reported that this would be a police matter as it is a criminal offence to drive without sheeting.

 

 

 

 

3.16

(5.3) Churchyard Repair – Clerk has contacted Cheryl Norton at MDC who will look into the repair work needed. Ongoing.

 

SV

 

 

 

4.0

District & County Councillors’ Reports

 

 

 

 

4.1

Update on selling off of county council farms – the situation is not certain and ongoing, although it does not apply to us.

 

 

 

 

4.2

Minutes from last quarry meeting – CG to chase.

 

 

 

 

4.3

Tor Works consultation for deeper excavation (7 further benches). To go to regulation committee before the end of the year.

 

 

 

 

4.4

Recycling of paper and cardboard postponed, and possibly not coming until next April, although we are paying for it in 10/11 rates.

 

 

 

 

4.5

Somerset Aggregates Paper - GC asked that the parish reply to the consultation. VT reiterated that the consultation paper was not easy to understand and RM further stated that the document did not take into consideration the issues of the villages on the ground. GC was asked to find out the timetable for the further rounds of consultation. VT proposed to organise a meeting with representative (Ben Miller, from SCC) in September and other neighbouring parishes to be invited.

 

 

 

 

 

GC

 

 

 

5.0

Finance

 

 

 

 

5.1

Financial Statement – Financial statement to 20th June 2010 was agreed and signed.

 

 

 

 

5.2

Transfer of monies from current to savings account and cemetery account – Clerk proposed that £1,000 be transferred from current to cemetery account.RM proposed, VT seconded. All agreed.

 

With regards to transfer of monies to the savings account, Clerk advised that interest rates were so low at the moment at (0.20-0.30%) that money could be kept in the current account as they will be used throughout the year.  VT proposed, RM seconded. All agreed.

 

 

 

 

5.3

Clerk salary and expenses – Clerk’s invoice dated 21st June 2010 was agreed. Cheque #594 signed. RM proposed, VT seconded, all agreed.

 

 

 

 

5.4

Internal auditor expenses and remuneration – Auditor’s expenses dated 17.05.10 were agreed. Cheque #595 including expenses and remuneration (as agreed on 19/04/10, item 5.4) was signed. VT proposed, RM seconded, all agreed.  

 

 

 

 

5.5

New Standing Orders (and future adoption) – Clerk has reviewed the proposed new Standing Orders from SALC. To be emailed round for comment and discussion next month.

 

SV

 

 

 

5.6

Update on Risk Audit Report – Clerk updated the Council on progress made. The following items are still outstanding:-

·         Review of Document Retention Policy – July meeting.

·         Review of Freedom of Information Publication Scheme – July meeting.

·         Standing Orders – In the process of being reviewed for adoption at July meeting.

·         Clerk to obtain copy of R. Cambourne’s indemnity insurance.

 

 

 

 

 

SV

 

 

 

5.7

Clerk to contact BW/MR about invoice for hire of hall for parish meetings in 2010 as this has not received.

 

SV

 

 

 

6.0

Cemetery

 

 

 

 

6.1

Mowing invoice – D.Jarvis invoice #49, dated 24th May 2010, for grass cutting on 7th and 21st May 2010 was agreed. Cheque #100 was signed.

 

 

 

 

6.2

New Cemetery Update – DP advised the council about previous research undertaken by the council 15 years ago in the area where the new cemetery has been envisaged. It is thought that the land will be suitable, provided the depth is okay for cemetery purposes.

Clerk to speak to John Davies for the going rate for agricultural land prices.

Clerk to investigate next step and update Mick and Jo on the situation.  

 

 

 

 

SV

 

 

 

7.0

Planning

 

 

 

 

7.1

Latest status of existing applications/decisions – Cookswood Quarry: CG advised that it was going to planning board in July (PMN. Now confirmed for 6:00pm on 21st July at MDC).

 

 

 

 

7.2

Application 2010/0969; 15 Park Hayes; Outline planning permission for erection of a dwelling – RM did not oppose the application, VT had no concerns and has heard of no concerns from other residents. The parish was not able to return an opinion to MDC as only two qualifying councillors were present to make a decision.

 

 

 

 

8.0

Parish Plan; New Village Sign

 

 

 

 

8.1

‘Awards for All’ may grant up to £10,000 directly to the PC for spending on the project.

Following discussions with Jeff Bunting at MDC, VT advised that the PC would need a licence to undertake putting the sign in the ground. Site meeting with Jeff Bunting to price the works and see what can be done to be organised.

 

 

 

VT

 

 

 

8.2

VT to complete ‘Awards for All’ form online and download a PDF to circulate for responses/comments by the councillors.

 

VT

 

 

 

9.0

Stile Repair Expenditure

 

 

 

 

9.1

MO not present. To be discussed next month.

 

 

 

 

10.0

Minerals Strategy Consultation

 

 

 

 

10.1

See item 4.5 above.

 

 

 

 

11.0

Building At Risk Register – 2010 Re-survey

 

 

 

 

11.1

Clerk to look on MDC website to obtain a list of listed buildings in the village and circulate via email. To be discussed at next meeting.

 

SV

 

 

 

12.0

Councillors’ Reports

 

 

                                 

 

12.1

PCSO – Liaison meeting held 20th May.

YM advised new beat manager Victoria Browne was starting next week. Next meeting 9th September 2010. Residents were requested to report any incidents promptly with as much detail as possible.

 

 

 

 

12.2

Footpaths – Current overgrown condition of footpaths and stiles was discussed. To be progressed at next meeting with MO.

 

 

 

 

12.3

Highways – Nothing to report.  

 

 

 

 

12.4

Rec Field – No meeting held recently. Rent for this year was paid (£1).

 

 

 

 

12.4.1

A resident raised concern about increasing nuisance of youths on the Rec Field. Councillors advised to report all incidents promptly to the police, not Mrs Higgins (chair of Rec Field Committee) or to the Parish Council.

 

YM reported that she had been monitoring the situation for a few weeks and that other policing units had also been made aware of the situation (although busy with Glastonbury at the moment). YM also advised that she has been policing the area and talked to the youth frequenting the Rec Field but that she had not witnessed any anti-social behaviour on patrol. YM confirmed that no other calls have been received from other residents.

 

Resident raised further concern about the possible use and exchange of drugs at the Rec Field. YM noted this concern.

 

 

 

 

12.5

Memorial Hall – MR not present. Nothing further to report.

 

 

 

 

12.6

School – Nothing further to report.

 

 

 

 

12.7

SALC – Clerk attended SALC meeting on 7th June 2010. 

 

 

 

 

12.7.1

Future of Avon Association – Following Peter Lacey’s request for opinion on the future of the Avon Association, it was felt that we were rural area and that the issues of the Avon Association would be different from ours. The service we currently receive from SALC would be watered down by the more urban issues of Bath & North East Somerset parishes. Clerk to report back.

 

 

 

 

SV

 

 

 

12.7.2

Clerk also updated the council on the correct procedures for giving apologies and how these should be dealt with at meetings and on the minutes. 

 

 

 

 

12.8

Quarry – Nothing further to report.  

 

 

 

 

13.0

Meetings attended (including training courses)/to be attended

 

 

 

 

13.1

Meetings attended:

·         20th May –PCSO meeting

·         1st June - East Mendip Community Partnership

·         7th June – SALC Meeting

 

Meetings to be attended:

·         19th July – Parish Forum Meeting

 

 

 

 

14.0

Correspondence

 

 

 

 

14.1

The following correspondence was circulated:-

·         PCSO May report; Letter from Chief Superintendent; Strategic Policing Plan 2010-2013

·         Minutes from PCSO steering group.

·         Flourish Homes Newsletter, April 2010

·         Spring 2010/May Newsletters: SCSN, Rural Youth, The Playing Field, Clerks & Councils Direct, The Clerk

·         Parishes information bulletin, June 2010

 

 

 

 

15.0

Date & time of next meeting

 

 

 

 

15.1

The next Parish Council Meeting will be held on 19th July 2010, at 7.30 in the Memorial Hall, Committee Room.