DRAFT MINUTES

 

LEIGH ON MENDIP PARISH COUNCIL MEETING

held on 20th September 2010

 at 7.30pm in the Memorial Hall

 

 

Councillors Present

Chris Cudmore – Chairman (CC), Rose Martin (RM), Matthew Odolphie (MO) and Vicki Taylor (VT).

Clerk – Sandrine Vaillant (SV).

 

The meeting was also attended for part of the meeting by Philip Ham (PH) (District Councillor)

 

 

 

 

 

 

Action

1.0

Apologies

 

 

 

 

1.1

Apologies were received from Marsha Read (MR) and Brenda Wigmore (BW).

 

 

 

 

1.2

Before proceeding with the meeting, Chair congratulated VT on becoming chair of Governors and express regret at her decision to leave the council in order to concentrate on her work as Chair of the Governing Body at the school.

 

 

 

 

2.0

Declarations of Interest

 

 

 

 

2.1

VT declared an interest in item 5.3 ‘Grant request for Rec Field bowls pitch’ as she is a player herself.

 

 

 

 

3.0

Agreement to minutes of meeting held on 19/07/10 and Matters Arising

 

 

 

 

3.1

The minutes of the meeting held on 19th July 2010 were agreed as a true and accurate record of the meeting held.

 

 

 

 

3.2

(3.2) Dog bin outside churchyard – As the bin is still not being used, it was agreed to move it and fix it to a post near the gate entrance to the Rec Field. Clerk to advise MDC of change of site from 1st October 2010.

 

 

MO/SV

 

 

 

3.3

(3.3) Set of minutes to be made available to community – Jan Horn has kindly agreed to circulate minutes to the various groups she attends in the village. Action complete.

 

 

 

 

3.4

(3.4) Churchyard repairs – Clerk inspected the churchyard and reported that the gravestone by the footpath had been made good, however, the trees have not yet been cut. Clerk is in contact with Cheryl Norton and this is ongoing.

 

 

SV

 

 

 

3.5

(3.5) Somerset Aggregates Paper – Personnel from SCC have advised that it is too early to hold a meeting with neighbouring parishes as they are still working on the proposals. PH felt that the consultation seemed to be stalling but that it was important to be kept informed and to show interest so that documentation is not published without parishes’ views.

·         SV to forward the email to district councillors for distribution on their patch if not received.

·         CC to take over once VT leaves. VT to email correspondence to CC.

 

 

 

 

 

 

SV

VT

 

 

 

3.6

(4.3) Choice based lettings – No comments.

 

 

 

 

3.7

(5.5) Risk Audit Report -

·         Standing Orders – See item 5.5 below

·         R. Cambourne indemnity ins. –BW to pursue once she is back from holidays.

 

 

BW

 

 

 

3.8

(12.2.5) MO confirmed that footpath grants were no longer available. Action complete.

 

 

 

 

3.9

(12.3.1) SV to email Jeff Bunting to remove ‘no cycling’ sign near church.

SV

 

 

 

3.10

(12.3.2) Cleaning of footpath up to Barnclose – Conaught had been requested to sweep this footpath during their visit in September but it had not been done.  Ongoing.

CC

 

 

 

3.11

(12.6) Clerk to speak to Matthew and Catherine Bennett to ask if they would like to advertise on website.

 

SV

 

 

 

4.0

District & County Councillors’ Reports

 

 

 

 

4.1

Cookswood Quarry; Section 106 – PH, who as District Councillor is responsible for drafting the S106, advised that it had not been drafted yet. He will keep us informed.

 

 

PH

 

 

 

4.2

With regards to District Activities, PH advised that many projects and activities would be on hold until the Public Spending announcement on 20th October 2010.

 

 

 

 

5.0

Finance

 

 

 

 

5.1

Financial Statement – Financial statement to 20th September 2010 was agreed and signed.

 

 

 

 

5.2

Clerks Salary & Expenses – Clerk’s invoice dated 20th September 2010 was agreed. Cheque #598 was signed. RM proposed, VT seconded, all agreed.

 

 

 

 

5.3

Grant Request for Bowls Pitch in Rec Field – VT, who attends the Bowls every week, explained why the pitch was required due to the uneven nature of the lawn in the Rec Field. The bowls committee have budgeted and arranged for the installation of the pitch and would ask the Parish Council for a contribution of £100 towards top soil.

Following discussion, it was agreed that it would be an asset for the Rec Field and an additional resource for the village and its residents. CC proposed to grant the required sum, MO seconded. All agreed. Cheque #599 was signed.

 

 

 

 

5.4

Mendip Community Transport – Clerk confirmed that the PC supported the organisation last year with a £25 grant and it was recognised that the organisation helped villagers with transport to and from hospital appointments, etc.
CC proposed to grant £25, VT seconded. All agreed. Cheque #600 was signed.

 

 

 

 

5.5

Standing Orders – CC proposed to adopt new standing orders, VT seconded.
All agreed. To be reviewed yearly.

 

 

 

 

6.0

Cemetery

 

 

 

 

6.1

Mowing invoice – D. Jarvis invoices 56, 58 and 60 dated July, August and September 2010 respectively, were agreed. Cheque #103 was signed.

 

 

 

 

6.2

With regard to the purchase of land for the new cemetery, it was agreed to create a committee to advance the purchase of the new cemetery. Councillors to think of individuals who might be interested in joining this working party.

 

 

ALL

 

 

 

7.0

Planning

 

 

 

 

7.1

Latest status of existing applications/decisions – clerk updated the council on recent planning applications as follows:-

·      Cookswood Quarry – As stated above, District councillors are looking into the S106 which is important to us as it is intended to include the details which mitigate the transport issues and are transferable conditions should the current owner sell the project.

·      Application 2010/1362; Ivy Cottage – Planning Permission has been granted to extend the farm shop restrictions, subject to conditions.

 

 

 

 

8.0

Parish Plan; New Village Sign

 

 

 

 

8.1

VT is waiting for the quotes for moving the stone into place before being able to send the grant application for consideration. MO to contact quarry to help obtain quote. (ballpark figure for moving 3 stones).

 

 

MO/VT

 

 

 

8.2

VT confirmed that, although she will not be a councillor any more, she was happy to stay on the sub-committee to see the project through.

 

 

 

 

9.0

Flashing School Sign

 

 

 

 

9.1

Jeff Bunting has advised the PC that, provided a small contribution is made, a flashing school sign could be installed outside the school. VT to ask the school if they are interested; and if so, Clerk to write to Jeff Bunting with an offer to pay £450 towards a sign. CC proposed, MO seconded. All agreed.

 

 

 

VT/SV

 

 

 

10.0

Community Safety Consultation Survey

 

 

 

 

10.1

SV distributed leaflets. Leaflet to be given to Jan Horn with the minutes for distribution to wider village community.

 

SV

 

 

 

11.0

Rough Sleepers Strategy Consultation

 

 

 

 

11.1

RM stated that it was more difficult to assess the situation as rough sleepers are more transient in rural communities. No comments to be made.

 

 

 

 

12.0

Statement of Licensing Policy Consultation

 

 

 

 

11.1

No comments.

 

 

 

 

13.0

Councillors’ Reports

 

 

 

 

13.1

PCSO – Last Liaison Meeting was held on Thursday 9th September. The following issues were discussed:

 

·         New staffing policy. A new sergeant will shortly be starting, PCSOs to be kept, as least until next budget in October. No major issues.

·         Force working on speeding and antisocial behaviour, particularly around Halloween and Guy Faulk night.

·         With regard to Leigh on Mendip itself, PCSO Yvonne Mears expressed concern that numerous calls were made to the police recently, which would be detrimental to the village safety records.

 

 

 

 

13.1.1

MO queried whether performance review was available. RM to check

RM

 

 

 

13.1.2

Clerk advised that policy awards nominations were open. PC decided not to nominate.

 

 

 

 

13.2

Footpaths – Path across to quarry walk; MO updated the parish on the situation with regards to the bull in the field. Claire Haskins, Footpath Officer at SCC, is looking into the problem.

 

 

 

 


 

13.2.1

Sparks farm; the footpath was closed for a short while and paths have still not been made good.

On the other hand, thank you letter to be sent to the owner of field opposite SV house as has been mowing the paths across his field.

 

 

 

SV

 

 

 

13.2.2

MO advised that he had conducted repairs to 3 stiles this year; and that a couple more would need repairing next year.

 

 

 

 

13.2.3

VT pointed out the condition of the bridge over the small ‘river’ at the bottom of Malcolm’s field. MO to investigate.

 

MO

 

 

 

 

PH joins meeting.

 

 

 

 

13.3

Highways – Clerk to contact Richard Branchflower with a view to get the middle of the lane by Tadhill swept as soil building up.

 

SV

 

 

 

13.3.1

Grit bins to be installed – PH advised spare bags could to be obtained from Frome. Clerk to investigate. CC to organise working party to install the bins within the next 2 months.

 

 

SV/CC

 

 

 

13.4

Rec Field – RM updated the council:-

·         The quarry will shortly be delivering stone for the new playground surface.

·         Rec Field will be asking for a grant to cover some of the expenses of making good the playground surface.

·         Mole problems; specialist booked to deal with the problem as football pitch was not let this year due to condition of pitch.

 

 

 

 

13.5

Memorial Hall – AGM on 1st November, 8pm.

Upcoming events:

·         4th December – Hickman & Cassidy

 

 

 

 

13.6

School – VT reported that Mrs Mary Burgess had made a good start to the new school year as the new Headmistress. An open day held last week, with 1/2 dozen parents visiting.

 

 

 

 

13.6.1

With SV having left the governing body and VT leaving the PC, it was felt that there was no link with the school. It was advised that Bren would be willing to be the school representative as she works as a volunteer at school.

 

 

 

 

13.7

SALC – Next East Somerset meeting in December. AGM on 25th September. Nothing further to report.

 

 

 

 

13.8

Quarry – Next meeting 14th October 2010. CC & MO to attend.

 

 

 

 

14.0

Meetings attended (including training courses)/to be attended

 

 

 

 

14.1

Meetings attended:

  • RM attended PCSO meeting.

 

Meetings to be attended:

  • East Mendip Partnership in November.

 

 

 

 

15.0

Correspondence

 

 

 

 

15.1

Mobile library consultation meetings – It was agreed by all that the mobile library was a vital service to our rural community. Clerk to write letter to SCC highlighting that the PC gives its highest level of support to this service.

 

 

SV

 

 

 


 

15.2

The following correspondence was circulated after the meeting:-

·         Being a good employer, guide for parish and town councillors;

·         SALC policy matters; copy of email circulated

·         SLCC Notice of AGM

·         Confirmation of granted planning applications (Lantern Cottage, Grove Shute Farm, Ivy Cottage)

·         Letter from Community Council for Somerset ‘Making it Happen’

·         August PCSO report & Superintendent September letter

·         Flourish Homes annual review

·         SCC Annual Review

·         Summer/September issues: Clerks & Councils Direct, The Playing Field, The Clerk, 24/7

 

 

 

 

16.0

Date & time of next meeting

 

 

 

 

16.1

The next Parish Council Meeting will be held on 18th October 2010, at 7.30 in the Memorial Hall, Committee Room.