DRAFT MINUTES

 

LEIGH ON MENDIP PARISH COUNCIL MEETING

held on 18th October 2010

 at 7.30pm in the Memorial Hall

 

 

Councillors Present

Chris Cudmore – Chairman (CC), Rose Martin (RM), Marsha Read (MR) and Brenda Wigmore (BW).

Clerk – Sandrine Vaillant (SV).

 

The meeting was also attended in part by Phil Ham, District Councillor (PH).

 

 

 

 

 

 

Action

1.0

Apologies

 

 

 

 

1.1

Apologies were received from Matthew Odolphie (MO) and Gloria Cawood, County Councillor.

 

 

 

 

2.0

Declarations of Interest

 

 

 

 

2.1

RM declared an interest in the planning application for 15 Park Hayes.

 

 

 

 

3.0

Agreement to minutes of meeting held on 20/09/10 and Matters Arising

 

 

 

 

3.1

The minutes of the meeting held on 20th September 2010 were agreed as a true and accurate record of the meeting held.

 

 

 

 

3.2

(3.2) Dog bin outside churchyard – RM advised that the Rec Field committee did not think it necessary to have a second bin located on the Red Field. Bin to stay in current position. Action complete.

 

 

 

 

3.3

(3.4) Churchyard – SV to contact MDC to follow up actions and to ask that Linda Burlison is consulted and kept informed of works to be undertaken in the future.

 

SV

 

 

 

3.4

(3.5) Somerset Aggregates Paper – Meeting to be organised with local parishes once consultation paper is drafted. Action complete.

 

 

 

 

3.5

(3.7) Risk Audit Report; R. Cambourne indemnity insurance – Contractor has confirmed he holds full insurance certificate. Copy to be sent to Clerk.

 

BW

 

 

 

3.6

(3.9) ‘No cycling’ sign near church – Clerk confirmed having emailed Jeff Bunting (SCC Highways) and waiting for action. Action complete.

 

 

 

 

3.7

(3.10) Cleaning of footpath up to Barnclose – Contractor has confirmed they would sweep the pavement. Action complete.

 

 

 

 

3.8

(3.11) Clerk to speak to Matthew and Catherine Bennett to ask if they would like to advertise on website. Clerk has spoken to the Bennetts who will get in touch with CC if they wish to be included on local business page. Action complete.

 

 

 

 

3.9

(4.1) Cookswood Quarry; Section 106 – PH advised this was ongoing and likely to take time as a certain amount of detail needs to be included. PH to keep council informed.

 

 

 

 

3.10

(8.1) Parish Plan; New Village Sign – MO to obtain quotes for moving stone into place. MR advised that she might be able to obtain details of company able to provide a quote. 

 

 

MO/MR

 

 

 

3.11

(9.1) Flashing School Sign – VT confirmed that the school would be happy to manage a flashing school sign should the PC be able to provide one. Clerk has emailed Jeff Bunting (SCC Highways) with an offer for a contribution and waiting response. Action complete.

 

 

 

 

3.12

(10.1) Community Safety Consultation Survey – Leaflets to be distributed to wider community for return.

 

SV

 

 

 

3.13

(13.1.1) PCSO Performance Review – Next PCSO meeting on 25th November but RM will email Yvonne to obtain answers.

 

RM

 

 

 

3.14

(13.2.1) Clerk confirmed letter had been issued to owner field opposite SV house to thank him for upkeep of footpaths. Action complete.

 

 

 

 

3.15

(13.2.3) Condition of bridge over small ‘river’ at the bottom of Malcolm’s field – MO to investigate.

 

MO

 

 

 

3.16

(13.3) Mud building up to middle of Tadhill Lane – Clerk has contacted SCC Highway Team and waiting action. Action complete.

 

 

 

 

3.17

(15.1) Mobile Library Consultation Meetings – Clerk confirmed letter was issued to the Library Team. Action complete.

 

 

 

 

4.0

District & County Councillors’ Reports

 

 

 

 

4.1

PH stated that not much was happening at District level at the moment. There is a lot of uncertainty over the budget announcement.

 

 

 

 

5.0

Finance

 

 

 

 

5.1

Financial Statement – Financial statement to 17th October 2010 was agreed and signed.

 

 

 

 

5.2

Authorised signatures for Bank Accounts – RM proposed, MR seconded, all agreed to sign forms for BW to be added to all accounts as a signatory, and for Vicki Taylor and Alfred Smith’s signatures to be removed.

 

 

 

 

5.3

Grant Request from Victim Support – Chair read the Grant application form. MR proposed to grant £25, seconded by BW. All agreed. Cheque #601 was signed.

 

 

 

 

6.0

Cemetery

 

 

 

 

6.1

Mowing invoice – D. Jarvis invoice 66 dated October 2010 was agreed. Cheque #104 was signed. Clerk to write accompanying letter to remind D. Jarvis of amount agreed for 2010.

 

 

SV

 

 

 

6.2

New Cemetery – Councillors to think of individuals who might be willing to form committee to lead the discussions and negotiations.

 

ALL

 

 

 

6.3

The upkeep of the Churchyard (currently undertaken by MDC) was also discussed; Chair asked the council to consider whether the PC would like to look at taking on the upkeep of the churchyard to reduce the ‘special expenditure’ levied through Council Tax.

 

 

 

 

7.0

Planning

 

 

 

 

7.1

Planning Application 2010/2204; 15 Park Hayes – Discussions took place, and the following aspects were investigated:-

·         It is believed that the plan would add an affordable, low-cost housing stock for the village, which is the type of accommodation needed.

·         The new bungalow would replace an existing garage and would therefore not make a very big impact to the landscape.

·         No objections have been heard from local residents who would have been advised of the proposed development.

·         Parking provisions were queried. Two parking spaces have been allowed for the existing house, but only one parking space is provided for the new build. It was agreed that typically a household would have two cars; however, it was stated that there was no systematic parking on neighbouring properties.

 

 

 

 

 

CC proposed to support the application on the basis that it is a low-cost housing stock added to the village; it has minimal visual impact and it is within the development limit; however, serious consideration is to be given to an additional off-road parking space. BW seconded. 2 for, 1 against. Clerk to send response.

 

 

 

SV

 

 

 

8.0

Parish Council Vacancies

 

 

 

 

8.1

Clerk to publish an ad in the Village Connection and to put up an additional notice on the pub notice board.

 

SV

 

 

 

9.0

Koz-e-Kot hedge

 

 

 

 

9.1

Clerk to remind owners that they had promised to cut the hedge once the nesting season had closed; and to also contact Richard Branchflower at SCC Highways Department to ask if the council could cut back the hedge.

 

 

SV

 

 

 

 

PH joins the meeting.

 

 

 

 

10.0

Councillors’ Reports

 

 

 

 

10.1

PCSO – Next Police Liaison Meeting scheduled for Thursday 25th November.

RM to attend. Nothing further to report.

 

 

 

 

10.2

Footpaths – MO not present. Chair updated the council as follows:-

·         Bull was removed from field, which is owned by Hanson after investigations by Rights of Way Officer;

·         New kissing gate has been erected at the entrance of the field, with new step down;

·         MO has conducted repairs to and has cut back several gates and pathways over the last month.

·         Quarry is opening the right of way from Great House around the quarry towards the Mells road.

 

 

 

 

10.3

Highways – Nothing further to report.

 

 

 

 

10.4

Rec Field – RM informed that the resurfacing of the playground was completed on Sunday 17th October. Letter for grant request to cover the costs to be addressed to parish council shortly, as previously agreed.

 

 

 

 

10.5

Memorial Hall – AGM on Monday 1st November, 8pm.

Upcoming events:

·         4th December – Hickman & Cassidy

 

 

 

 

10.6

School – BW agreed to act as school representative and to liaise with VT for formal handover.

 

BW

 

 

 

10.7

SALC – Next East Somerset meeting in December.

Clerk to contact SALC to find out dates of new round of Councillor training.

 

SV

 

 

 

10.8

Quarry – CC and MO attended quarry meeting on Thursday 14th October 2010.

CC summarised as follows:-

·         Operations are going well with 575,000 tonnes having been excavated so far this year (last year total was 600,000).

·         Convert Rockery Farm – plan to convert for office use was abandoned; Quarry to keep looking after the building and try to get it off the ‘at risk register’.

 

 

 

 

 

Next meetings on 17th March 2011, and 13th October 2011.

 

 

 

 

11.0

Meetings attended (including training courses)/to be attended

 

 

 

 

11.1

Meetings attended:

·         Quarry Liaison Meeting; 14th October.

 

Meetings to be attended:

·         Parish Forum/Planning Officers Open Day (Local Development Framework); Monday 25th October, 5.30pm-8pm, MDC offices. SV to email details to councillors.

·         Police Liaison Meeting; 25th November

 

 

 

 

 

SV

 

 

 

12.0

Correspondence

 

 

 

 

12.1

The following correspondence was circulated after the meeting:-

·         Postcard – 2011 census job;

·         Avon & Somerset Policy Authority Newsletter, September 2010;

·         Parishes Information Bulletin, September 2010;

·         Open letter from SALC to Chairmen;

·         Thank you letter from Mendip Community Transport.

 

 

 

 

13.0

Date & time of next meeting

 

 

 

 

13.1

The next Parish Council Meeting will be held on 15th November 2010, at 7.30 in the Memorial Hall, Committee Room.