DRAFT  MINUTES

 

LEIGH ON MENDIP PARISH COUNCIL MEETING

held on 15th November 2010

 at 7.30pm in the Memorial Hall

 

 

Councillors Present

Chris Cudmore – Chairman (CC), Rose Martin (RM), Matthew Odolphie (MO) and Brenda Wigmore (BW).

Clerk – Sandrine Vaillant (SV).

 

The meeting was also attended in part by Gloria Cawood (County Councillor), Philip Ham (District Councillor) and by two parishioners, David Pattison and John Davis.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Action

1.0

Apologies

 

 

 

 

1.1

Apologies were received from Marsha Read (MR).

 

 

 

 

1.2

Chair introduced the meeting and advised that items would be dealt with in a slightly different order than that on the agenda for the convenience of visitors in attendance.

 

 

 

 

2.0

Declarations of Interest

 

 

 

 

2.1

No interest was declared.

 

 

 

 

3.0

Agreement to minutes of meeting held on 18/10/10 and Matters Arising

 

 

 

 

3.1

The minutes of the meeting held on 18th October 2010 were agreed as a true and accurate record of the meeting held.

 

 

 

 

3.2

(3.3) Churchyard – Clerk confirmed having emailed details of Linda Burlison to MDC as contact for the Churchyard. Action complete.

SV to contact Cheryl Norton regarding the cutting back of the Yew trees so that a meeting can be organised with MDC’s tree surgeons.

 

 

 

SV

 

 

 

3.3

(3.5) Risk Audit Report – Copy of certificate of insurance for R. Cambourne to be sent to clerk.

 

BW

 

 

 

3.4

(8.1) New Village Sign; Moving of stones - MR spoke to Rick Massey who agreed to unload and position the stones for us as he has all the machinery.

MO agreed to find out from the quarry how much it would cost to move the stone.

 

 

MO

 

 

 

3.5

(3.11) Community Safety Consultation Survey – Leaflets have been distributed to the wider community for return. Action complete.

 

 

 

 

3.6

(3.12) PCSO Performance Review – RM has emailed Yvonne Mears and is waiting for response. Action complete.

 

 

 

 

3.7

(3.14) Condition of bridge over small ‘river’ at the bottom of Malcolm’s field – MO inspected the bridge which although in need of repair is safe. Remedial works to be undertaken next spring. Action complete.

 

 

 

 

3.8

(3.15) Mud building up to middle of Tadhill Lane – SCC Highways team have investigated but refused to undertake a clean up as the build-up was not insignificant. Action complete. 

 

 

 

 

3.9

(8.1) Parish Council Vacancies – Clerk to advertise positions on the Bell noticeboard and in parish magazine.

Clerk to contact MDC to find out the situation with regards to advertising new casual vacancies in the period leading to the elections.

 

SV

 

SV

 

 

 

3.10

(9.1) Koz-e-Kot hedge – Clerk has issued letters to the owners and is waiting response. Action complete.

 

 

 

 

3.11

(10.7) SALC – Clerk advised that there would not be a new round of councillor training until after the elections due to the take place in May. Action complete.

 

 

 

 

4.0

District & County Councillors’ Reports

 

 

 

 

4.1

County and District Councillors Reports centered around the proposed budget cut by SCC and are summarised below:-

 

 

 

 

4.1.1

Proposed closure of Coleford Waste Recycling Centre (2nd smallest recycling site in Somerset and costs approximately £56,000 pa to run) – Chair to draft ‘strong’ letter of objection to Ken Maddock.

PH also read a letter received from Steve Reeds, who runs Somerset Waste Partnership, which explains that a series of workshops would be held in the locality to explore acceptable ways of keeping the centre open whilst achieving the desired cuts by getting the communities involved.

Petition forms were distributed for circulation around the village.

 

 

CC

 

 

 

4.1.2

Cuts to Bus Service – The current bus service through the village is subsidised by SCC and the proposed budget cuts will either mean that fares will be raised, or that less buses will run.

 

 

 

 

4.1.3

County Ticket to be cut – RM advised that this would affect children aged between 16-18 still in education who currently are given a free county-wide pass to travel on public transport. RM to draft a letter of objection.

 

 

RM

 

 

 

4.1.4

Cuts in adult social care – It was pointed out that these will affect the ageing population of our rural village, as support will not be financed. RM to draft letter of objection.

 

 

RM

 

 

 

 

Finally, CC pointed out that all the above were propositions and that no decisions had been made. This was felt to be a critical time for protesting against the cuts with the biggest impact on the village, subsequent efforts would be required to find practical ways to mitigate the impact of any reduction in services. All letters to be copied to Gloria Cawood and Philip Ham

 

 

 

 

4.2

Somerset Village Hall award – PH advised that Sue Vaughan had been awarded Village Hall Trustee of the Year for Somerset against stiff opposition.

 

 

 

 

5.0

Finance

 

 

 

 

5.1

Financial Statement – Financial statement to 14th November 2010 was agreed and signed.

 

 

 

 

5.2

Authorised signatures for Bank Accounts – Clerk to take forms to the bank for BW’s signature to be added to the accounts and Vicki Taylor’s and Alf Smith’s to be removed.  

 

 

SV

 

 

 

5.3

Authorised signatures for Savings Account – Form to confirm all signatories was circulated. Clerk to forward to NS&I.

 

SV

 

 

 

5.4

Clerk’s Salary & Expenses – Clerk’s invoice dated 15th November 2010 (for work between 20/09/10 and 19/12/10) was agreed. Cheque #602 agreed and signed.

 

 

 

 

5.5

Grant Request from Rec Field Committee – Chair read the letter sent by the Rec Field asking for £1,000 to help cover the costs of the refurbishment of the children’s play area. CC proposed to grant £1,000, BW seconded. All agreed. Cheque #603 agreed and signed.

 

 

 

 

5.6

Grant Request from Age Concern – BW proposed to grant £25 for the support the organisation gives to the villagers, RM seconded. All agreed, cheque #604 agreed and signed.

 

 

 

 

5.7

Budgeting and Precept 2011/12 – Chair asked council to think about budget for 2011/12 and for figures to be emailed to CC and clerk prior to next month’s meeting. 

 

 

 

 

5.7.1

The following items were identified:-

·            £500 to be included for possible grant to the Rec Field for improvement to play area for older children;

·            Elections – Clerk to contact MDC to obtain figure to be charged to parishes for the elections;

·            School – SV offered to ask the school if they wish for a grant to be included;

·            Sum of money to be included to cover ‘incidental needs’?

 

 

 

 SV

SV

 

 

 

6.0

Cemetery

 

 

 

 

6.1

Mowing invoice – D. Jarvis invoice No 69 dated November 2010 was agreed. Cheque #105 was signed.

 

 

 

 

6.2

After review of invoices submitted by D. Jarvis, clerk confirmed that all invoices were in order and a total of £1,049.92 was paid this year as per the agreed contract.

 

 

 

 

6.3

New Cemetery Sub-Committee – Chair explained the situation to the parishioners present and willing to help with the purchase and setting up of new cemetery. David Pattison, John Davis and CC to form new sub-committee to drive the project forward.

Next meeting on Monday 22nd November, 8pm at Burleigh Cottage for formal handover with the Clerk.

 

 

 

 

7.0

Planning

 

 

 

 

7.1

Latest status of existing planning applications –

Planning Application 2010/2204; 15 Park Hayes – the Parish Council asked PH to explain why the application rejection was endorsed by the County Councillors. No further explanation was given apart from the planning officer’s reasoning. No further action can be taken by the Parish Council unless the applicant appeals.

 

 

 

 

7.2

Core Planning Strategy – Chair confirmed that the village was deemed a ‘secondary village’ and that the latest proposal offered no change for the village from the previous draft (i.e. up to 20 new houses from 2006 to 2026 (9 already built). A new consultation is expected in February 2011.

 

 

 

 

7.3

Planning Forum Feedback – Nothing further to report.

 

 

 

 

8.0

Posters for Elections

 

 

 

 

8.1

See item 3.9 above. Elections for the Parish Council are to be held on 5th May 2011. Prospective nominees are to be encouraged.

 

9.0

Somerset County Council Budget Cuts

 

 

 

 

9.1

See item 4.1 above. Nothing further to report.

 

 

 

 

10.0

Councillors’ Reports

 

 

 

 

10.1

PCSO – Next Police Liaison Meeting scheduled for Thursday 25th November.

RM to attend. Nothing further to report.

 

 

 

 

10.2

Footpaths – MO advised that clerk had secured a grant from SCC for £120 for maintenance of the footpaths Clerk to raise an invoice. MO then suggested buying tools and organising working parties early next year to look after the footpaths needing maintenance. Chair asked MO to price up some items for inclusion in budget and possible purchase.

 

SV

 

 

MO

 

 

 

10.3

HighwaysClerk tabled email forwarded by Gloria regarding repairs of the road near the bridge by the Old Vicarage. 

 

 

 

 

10.3.1

Clerk also advised of road closure to take place on 6th December in Leigh Street for replacement of gas pipe (around Manor Farm and Koz-e-Kot area). Clerk to publish article in magazine and notice boards.  

 

 

SV

 

 

 

10.3.2

Following our offer to contribute to the cost of a Flashing School sign, Highways are no longer able to allocate any funds to this. BW to inform the school.

 

BW

 

 

 

10.3.3

Street lights are gradually being renewed. It was reported that Bellfield now have both old and new whereas some areas have none. Lighting problems have been reported to SCC.

 

 

 

 

10.3.4

The streets are due to be swept on 16th November. Leaflets to ask residents to move cars have been distributed by MO and CC.

 

 

 

 

10.3.5

10x20kg bags of salt are being made available to be collected by Parish Councils from Frome on 27th Nov (9-1pm). All to identify suitable storage sites and confirm to SV. MO volunteered to collect.

 

 

ALL/MO

 

 

 

10.4

Rec Field – Nothing further to report.

Upcoming events: Christmas Bingo, Saturday 11th December.

 

 

 

 

10.5

Memorial Hall – AGM was held on Monday 1st November – Nothing to report.

Next meeting on 29th November when Christmas decorations will be put up.

Upcoming events: 4th December – Hickman & Cassidy.

 

 

 

 

10.6

School – Nothing to report.

 

 

 

 

10.7

SALC – Next East Somerset meeting on 6th December 2010 in Glastonbury. Clerk and CC to attend.

 

 

 

 

10.7.1

Clerk asked to attend training session on Budgeting on 18th November and costs to be shared with Cranmore PC. CC proposed, RM seconded and all agreed for Clerk to attend. Cheque #605 agreed and signed.

 

 

 

 

10.8

Quarry – GC to chase up minutes of last meeting.

Next meetings on 17th March 2011, and 13th October 2011.

 

 

 

 

11.0

Meetings attended (including training courses)/to be attended

 

 

 

 

11.1

Meetings attended:

·         Parish Forum; Monday 25th October attended by CC reported in 7.2 & 7.3 above.

 

Meetings to be attended:

·         Clerk’s training; Budgeting Update – 18th November; SV to attend.

·         New Cemetery sub-committee – 22nd November, CC & SV to attend

·         Police Liaison Meeting; 25th November – RM to attend.

·         SALC Area Meeting; 6th December – CC and SV to attend.

 

 

 

 

 

SV

CC/SV

RM

CC/SV

 

 

 

12.0

Correspondence

 

 

 

 

12.1

The following correspondence was circulated by email before the meeting:-

·         Letter from SAW re. Somerset Arts Funding Cuts;

·         County Councillor report;

·         Parish Information Bulleting

·         Update on Flashing School sign

·         Update from Parish Forum meeting held on 25th October

·         PCSO report, Sept/Oct

·         Letter regarding cuts at SCC

·         Email from S. Shaw re. Sustainable Communities Act

·         Police Rural Newsletter

 

 

 

 

12.2

The following correspondence was circulated after the meeting:-

·         ‘Becoming a Parish Councillor’ leaflets and posters

·         PCSO report, November 2010

·         Letter from Aster Group

·         Guide to Winter Services in Somerset from Highways

·         November/Winter issues of: Parishes information Bulletin; SLCC newsletter; Som-it-up; Your Mendip; Clerks & Councils Direct; The Clerk; The Playing Field; Wall Memorial Trust Bulletin; SALC Newsletter.

 

 

 

 

13.0

Date & time of next meeting

 

 

 

 

13.1

The next Parish Council Meeting will be held on 20th December 2010, at 7.30 in the Memorial Hall, Committee Room.