DRAFT  MINUTES

 

LEIGH ON MENDIP PARISH COUNCIL MEETING

held on 21st March 2011

 at 7.30pm in the Memorial Hall

 

 

Councillors Present

Chris Cudmore – Chairman (CC), Ian Barnes (IB) and Brenda Wigmore (BW).

Clerk – Sandrine Vaillant (SV).

 

The meeting was also attended in part by Gloria Cawood (GC; County Councillor) and 3 members of the public.

 

 

 

 

 

Action

1.0

Apologies

 

 

 

 

1.1

Apologies were received from Rose Martin (RM) and Matthew Odolphie (MO).

 

 

 

 

2.0

Declarations of Interest

 

 

 

 

2.1

No interest was declared.

 

 

 

 

3.0

Agreement to minutes of meeting held on 21/02/11 and Matters Arising (Where not dealt with on the agenda)

 

 

 

 

3.1

The minutes of the meeting held on 21st February 2011 were agreed as a true and accurate record of the meeting held.

 

 

 

 

3.2

(3.1) Co-option of Councillor – Relevant forms sent to MDC. Action complete.

 

 

 

 

3.3

(4.2) Churchyard – Clerk chased up MDC and reported the problems with the roots. Action complete.

 

 

 

 

3.4

(6.2) Bank Account Signatures – Ongoing.

SV

 

 

 

3.5

(11.2) IB has spoken to Tarmac who are moving the fences and agreed to clear the rights of way. Action complete.

 

 

 

 

3.6

(11.3.2) Hedges – Most of the problem hedges and trees have now been cut back; or the owners have promised to respond. Action complete.

 

The Parish Council thanked all the families who took part in the makeover of the pavement towards Barns Close Quarry as part of the Village Litter Pick Up. (photos in WI blog linked from village website: www.leigh-on-mendip.org.uk)

 

 

 

 

3.7

(11.4) Youth Club – The Youth Club has closed due to falling numbers of youngsters and helpers. It was thought that it could be rejuvenated with the work to be done on the designs for the village stones.

 

 

 

 

3.8

(12.1) Dog Control – RM to look into obtaining some bags to hand out. Ongoing.

RM

 

 

 

4.0

County Councillor Report

 

 

 

 

4.1

Coleford Recycling Centre – Somerset Waste Partnership (SWP) are proposing to close the site or charge £2.50 per visit, in addition to reduced opening hours. GC encouraged residents to write to Mr Read of SWP or SCC with any comments before the meeting to be held on 25th March.

 

The following responses/comments were gathered following limited discussions with residents in the Parish in the few days since the proposals were published:

·           Residents are generally opposed to the charge

·           It is perceived as yet another tax levied on the rural community.

·           There will be further fly-tipping.

·           People are not prepared to pay £2.50.

·           People will use other, free, recycling sites.

These comments were passed to District and County councillors to report at meetings being held between SCC and SWP.

 

 

 

 

4.2

 ‘Waste to Energy’ – GC advised of a new consultation on a proposal to build incinerators throughout Somerset. PC to discuss once papers have been received.

 

 

 

 

5.0

Finance

 

 

 

 

5.1

Financial Statement – Financial statement to 20th March 2011 was agreed and signed.

 

 

 

 

5.2

Clerk’s Salary - Clerk’s invoice dated 21st March 2011 was agreed. Cheque# 608 was signed.

 

 

 

 

5.3

PAYE Implementation – The Clerk explained the new HMRC requirements and having written to register the PC as employer. Further details to be issued in April.

 

 

 

 

5.4

SALC Affiliation Fee – SALC invoice for year 2011/12 was agreed. Cheque# 610 was signed.

 

 

 

 

5.5

Reimbursement following purchase of tools – MO not present.

 

 

 

 

5.6

Risk, Financial and Assets review – BW agreed to undertake with Clerk.

BW/SV

 

 

 

6.0

Planning

 

 

 

 

6.1

Latest status of existing applications/decisions:

15 Park Hayes – An appeal was lodged and the applicant is waiting to hear from MDC for a site meeting. Clerk to enquire with MDC as to why the council has not been informed of the appeal.

 

 

 

SV

 

 

 

6.2

Mendip Local Development Framework - Draft Core Strategy – Chair gave background information on the framework as follows:

The proposed level of development in LoM is for approximately 20 houses to be built between 2006 and 2026 (10 have already been built since 2006). There is therefore limited expansion. CC proposed not to make any comments and accept the draft strategy, BW seconded, all agreed.

 

 

 

 

 

 

6.3

Application 2011/0301; Paddock View, Blackers Lane; Proposed one bedroom annexe for dependant – Applicant gave background information to the application (addressing access, appearance of the building and neighbours). CC stated that the proposed dwelling appeared in character with the existing buildings in the village, in accordance with village design statement, there was no apparent objections by neighbours and that there was adequate parking within the property. IB proposed to recommend approval, BW seconded; all agreed.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

7.0

Devon & Somerset Fire & Rescue Service; Draft Corporate Plan 11/12, 13/14

 

 

 

 

7.1

It was agreed not to comment.

 

 

 

 


 

8.0

Parish Elections 5th May 2011

 

 

 

 

8.1

Clerk distributed the nomination forms to those councillors present and updated the council on the procedure for elections, including deadline for the return of nomination forms and withdrawals.

 

 

 

 

9.0

Review of Annual Parish Newsletter

 

 

 

 

9.1

CC to draft and circulate for comment prior to agreement at April Meeting.

CC

 

 

 

10.0

New Cemetery Update

 

 

 

 

10.1

Chair updated that SCC had rejected the Parish request to purchase some land around The Meadows. Ongoing.

 

 

 

 

11.0

New village signs

 

 

 

 

11.1

BW gave a brief update on the situation. The Committee is organising meetings with the artist to be ready to start once final approval of grant is received.

BW asked if CC could facilitate a meeting between the artist, Jeff Brody, and the quarry so that he could explain what was needed.

 

 

 

CC

 

 

 

12.0

Councillors’ Reports

 

 

 

 

12.1

PCSO – Report was circulated prior to the meeting. An increase in thefts from sheds and outbuildings in Frome and surrounding areas was reported.

 

 

 

 

12.2

Footpaths – Clerk to post a leaflet to Rick Massey to ensure footpaths are kept practicable during the ploughing season.

 

SV

 

 

 

12.2.1

MO to contact SCC to ask for some stickers and plaques to signpost the footpaths between Leigh and Barnclose quarry.

 

MO

 

 

 

12.3

Highways – Chair reported that areas of Highways had been resurfaced, particularly at the bottom of Whitehole Hill, Bector Lane and near Great House Farm.

 

 

 

 

12.4

Rec Field – Nothing further to report.  

 

 

 

 

12.5

Memorial Hall – Upcoming events:-

·      Quiz night; Saturday 26th March 2010. Event to be publicised.

 

 

 

 

12.6

School – Nothing further to report.

 

 

 

 

12.7

SALC – CC and SV attended the East Area meeting on 7th March. The main topics discussed were the Localism Bill and its implications if passed, and PAYE. Next meeting on 6th June in Wells.

 

 

 

 

 

12.7.1

Chair stated that the parish portion of council tax had gone down by 0.5% despite the slight rise in precept. This is due to increased number of dwellings in the parish since last year.

 

 

 

 

12.8

Quarry – Nothing further to report.

Next meetings on Wed. 23rd March, 10am, and 13th October 2011. CC to attend.

 

CC

 

 

 

13.0

Meetings attended (including training courses)/to be attended

 

 

 

 

13.1

Meetings attended:-

·         SALC East Area Mtg; 7th March.

 

 

 

 

13.2

Meetings to be attended:-

·          East Area Meeting – 22nd March. RM not able to attend.

·         Quarry Meeting – 23rd March. CC to attend.

 

 

 

 

14.0

Correspondence

 

 

 

 

14.2

The following emails were circulated before the meeting:-

·         MDC Election guidance

·         Parish Information Bulletin

·         Devon & Somerset Fire & Rescue Service’s draft Corporate Plan for 2011/12 – 2013/14

·         MDC Survey on future of Strategic Housing Services across Somerset

·         PCSO monthly report

·         Letter from Sheila Wheeler

·         Letter from Steve Read of SWP re. Proposed closure of Coleford recycling facility

 

 

 

 

 

14.3

The following correspondence was circulated following the meeting:-

·         Cut from newspaper article re. Threat to wildlife after quarry levy scrapped

·         Thank you letter from Rec Field Management Committee

·         Letter from Community Council for Somerset

·         March/Spring editions of: Twenty Four Seven (paper from South Western Ambulance Service), the Clerk, Clerks & Councils Direct, The Mendip Society; Avon & Somerset Policy Authority

 

 

 

 

 

15.0

Date & time of next meeting

 

 

 

 

15.1

The next Parish Council Meeting will be held on 18th April 2011, at 7.30pm in the Memorial Hall, Committee Room.