MINUTES

 

LEIGH ON MENDIP PARISH COUNCIL MEETING

held on 18th April 2011

 at 7.30pm in the Memorial Hall

 

 

Councillors Present

Chris Cudmore – Chairman (CC), Rose Martin (RM), Matthew Odolphie (MO) and Brenda Wigmore (BW).

Clerk – Sandrine Vaillant (SV).

 

The meeting was also attended by Phil Ham (PH; District Councillor) and 1 member of the public.

 

 

 

 

 

Action

1.0

Apologies

 

1.1

Apologies were received from Ian Barnes (IB) and Marsha Read (MR).

 

 

 

 

2.0

Declarations of Interest

 

2.1

MO declared an interest in item 5.8 as an employee by the school.

BW declared a non-prejudicial interest in item 5.8 as a volunteer at the school.

 

 

 

 

3.0

Agreement to minutes of meeting held on 21/03/11 and Matters Arising (Where not dealt with on the agenda)

 

3.1

The minutes of the meeting held on 21st March 2011 were agreed as a true and accurate record of the meeting held.

 

 

 

 

3.2

(63.4) Bank Account Signatures – All forms have been signed and returned to Nat West. Action complete. 

 

 

 

 

3.3

(3.8) Dog Control – Places where litter bags are available, together with posters, have been identified. RM to source and distribute around the Rec Field. Action complete.

 

 

RM

 

 

 

3.4

(6.1) 15 Park Hayes – MDC were not aware of any appeal, however, PH confirmed that an appeal had been lodged, which is currently being considered by the Inspectorate. Action complete.

 

 

 

 

3.5

(12.2) Maintenance of footpaths during ploughing season – Clerk issued a letter to R. Massey with a copy of the leaflet produced by SCC. Action complete.

 

 

 

 

3.6

(12.2.1) Stickers for gate & footpaths – MO has obtained some plaques which he will fit to various posts along the footpaths. He noted however that landowner’s permission should be asked should new signs be displayed.

 

 

 

 

4.0

District Councillor Report

 

4.1

PH reported as follows:-

·      Recycling Centres – HMRC have not given an answer about the VAT stand of the recycling centres; it is still possible that the price might change.
Alternative opening times were discussed; Clerk to put a copy of the opening timetable on the noticeboards.

·      Cookswood – There was confusion about the minutes of the meeting held to discuss the S106 and these have now been rectified. S106 has not been signed off yet.

·      Gypsies and travellers – A meeting is to be held on 26th May, regarding the proposed new site at Coleford.

 

 

 

 

SV

 

 

 

5.0

Finance

 

5.1

Financial Statement – Financial statement to 17th April 2011 was agreed and signed.

Chair suggested some money (£5,000) is transferred to the Savings Account.

 

 

SV

 

 

 

5.2

End of Year Accounts / Annual Return – The end of year accounts were reviewed and unanimously agreed.

 

 

 

 

5.3

Assets & Risks Audit Report – Reviewed and unanimously agreed.

 

 

 

 

5.4

Renewal of Parish Council Insurance – All agreed for clerk to obtain new quote.

SV

 

 

 

5.5

Transfer of Monies to Cemetery Account – All agreed to transfer £1,000 to cemetery account. Cheque #611 was signed.

 

 

 

 

5.6

Clerk’s Salary & Expenses - Clerk’s invoice dated 21st March 2011 was agreed. Cheques # 612 and #613 (HMRC portion) were signed.

 

 

 

 

5.7

Hire of Memorial Hall for SALC Meeting – invoice dated 27th February 2011 was agreed. Cheque #614 was signed.

 

 

 

 

5.8

Grant request from Leigh On Mendip 1st School – CC proposed (RM seconded, all agreed) to grant £200 to support one of the projects described in the letter. Clerk to ask the school to let the PC know what the money is spent on specifically.

 

 

SV

 

 

 

6.0

Cemetery  

 

6.1

Mowing invoice – No invoice has been received.

 

 

 

 

6.2

Cemetery Clerk’s Salary – Clerk’s invoice dated 18th April 2011 (for year 2010-11) was agreed. Cheque #107 was signed.

 

 

 

 

6.3

New cemetery update – No further update; the committee is still waiting for two land owners around the church to reply.

 

 

 

 

7.0

Planning

 

7.1

No decisions on recent planning applications have been issued.

 

 

 

 

8.0

Annual Parish Newsletter

 

8.1

The wording of the proposed newsletter was agreed. Actions as follows:-

·      Chair to finalise;

·      Clerk to organise photocopying with the school and distribute bundles;

·      Chair to email distribution list.

 

CC

SV

CC

 

 

 

9.0

New Village Signs

 

9.1

Bren updated the parish council and advised of the following dates:-

·      11th May; Site meeting with Jeff, Rose, Vicki and Bren to check exact emplacement of the stones.

·      16th June; 1st session with the Art Group at the Memorial Hall to draft/sketch. Each group will have 1 or 2 sessions.

·      18th June – stand at the fete where people will be invited to participate and drop in ideas.

·      1st Day of Autumn Term - Stones should be in position (over the summer/early September).

 

Other actions from the Committee and Artist:-

·      Further research on the history of the village will be undertaken.

·      Jeff to meet with quarry staff to select the stone.

·      Preparation work will start at the three sites, particularly to the one on the way out of the village; Frank Higgins has expressed an interest in helping.

 

BW also confirmed that CRB checks would be done for those who will work with the children or vulnerable adults (youth Club, older community, etc….).

Clerk to check with SCC if they can undertake the CRB check on behalf of the Council.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

SV

 

 

 

10.0

Street Lighting Project

 

10.1

Chair reported on a meeting attended and introduced the project led by SCC, about reducing street lighting at night, between midnight and 5am. Further details will be available prior to a trial which is hoped to start before next winter.

 

 

 

 

11.0

Village Welcome Pack Update

 

11.1

Each organisation should be contacted and asked to update their bit in the welcome pack. Clerk to email word version to Chris to circulate to various groups.

MO suggested we get sponsorship to print the village packs if we have an advert.

 

SV to give spare packs to RM.

 

SV

 

 

SV

 

 

 

12.0

Councillors’ Reports

 

 

 

 

12.1

PCSO – Next meeting 19th May. The following was noted:-

·      One incidence of distraction burglary.

·      Warnings about shed thefts.

·      Report of broken windows on cars parked outside Cookswood quarry.

 

 

 

 

12.2

Footpaths – Nothing further to report.

CC thanked MO for all his work on footpaths.

Files to be handed over to next footpaths officer once in place.

 

 

 

 

12.3

Highways – A few more potholes have been filled. Nothing further to report.

 

 

 

 

12.4

Rec Field – AGM on Wednesday 20th April. 7.30pm at the Rec Field. Nothing further to report.

 

 

 

 

12.5

Memorial Hall – Nothing to report.

 

 

 

 

12.6

School – Nothing to report.

 

 

 

 

12.7

SALC – Clerk has received guidance about how to proceed with next month’s meeting, this was forwarded to the Chair.

 

 

 

 

 

12.8

Quarry – CC attended meeting on Wed. 23rd March and updated the council with regards to the Quarry Long Term Management Fund, which should kick in when the quarry closes (15-20 years). Next meetings on 13th October 2011 and 15th March 2012.

 

 

 

 

13.0

Meetings attended (including training courses)/to be attended

 

 

 

 

13.1

Meetings attended:-

·         Quarry Meeting – 23rd March. CC attended. See 12.8 above

·         Street Lighting Project – 8th April. CC & SV. See 10.1 above.

·         Parish Forum; 11th April – CC attended and reported on the following:-

            - Minerals planning policy
            - New waste planning strategy

            - Localism bill from MDC’s point of view.

 

 

 

 

14.0

Correspondence

 

14.1

No correspondence was circulated following the meeting.

 

 

 

 

15.0

Date & time of next meeting

 

15.1

The Annual Parish Council Meeting will be held on 16th May 2011, at 7.30pm in the Memorial Hall, Committee Room. Clerk to organise refreshments.