MINUTES

 

LEIGH ON MENDIP ANNUAL PARISH COUNCIL MEETING

held on 15th August 2011

 at 7.30pm in the Memorial Hall

 

 

Councillors Present

Chris Cudmore – Chairman (CC), Ian Barnes (IB), Rose Martin (RM) and Brenda Wigmore (BW).

 

In attendance: S Vaillant (SV; Clerk), Val Horler (VH;District Councillor) and 2 members of the public.

 

 

 

 

 

Action

1.0

Apologies

 

1.1

No apologies were received. Late apologies were received from RM.

 

 

 

 

2.0

Declaration of Interest

 

2.1

IB declared an interest in the planning application for White House.

 

 

 

 

3.0

Minutes of the meeting held on 20/06/11 and matters arising

 

3.1

The minutes of the meeting held on 20th June 2011 were agreed as a true and accurate record of the meeting held, with the following amendments:-

·      Item 3.2 should read: ‘information (not bags) was distributed and stickers were posted on the bins’.

·      Item 9.2 should read ‘Mendip Times’ not Somerset Standard.

 

 

 

 

3.2

(3.3) Recycling Centre – User information for the noticeboards has been prepared. Clerk to display. Action complete.  

 

 

 

 

 

3.3

(3.5) Village Welcome Pack – Update in progress; to be discussed at September meeting. Action complete.

 

A welcome pack booklet was given to IB to hand to new neighbours.

Clerk to distribute a pack to new tenants in Manor Farm.

 

 

 

IB

SV

 

 

 

3.4

(5.8) Grant request from Leigh on Mendip First School – Clerk tabled thank you letter from school. Action complete.

 

 

 

 

3.5

(4.1) Vacant Parish Councillor Seats – Ads and articles have been widely published to attract candidates and one parishioner has expressed an interest in joining the Council. Action complete.

 

 

 

 

3.6

(6.1.2) Rec Field rent - Receipt was handed to Chairman. Action complete.

 

 

 

 

3.7

(6.7) Remuneration of Internal Auditor – see 5.3 below. Action complete.

 

 

 

 

3.8

(6.8) Grant for Church Clock Repair – A cheque was signed and given to M. Loten upon receipt of new chequebook. Action complete.

 

 

 

 

3.9

(7.2) Water Butt Replacement – IB has checked the water butt and it appears to be working. IB to replace board at the base. Action complete.

 

 

 

 

3.10

(9.3) Licence for new village signs – These were returned to SCC and a countersigned copy has been received by the clerk for safekeeping. Action complete.

 

 

 

 

3.11

(10.1) Part-night street lighting – SCC advised that implementation date has been pushed to April 2012, at the earliest.

 

 

 

 

3.12

(11.2) County Grant – GC submitted an application (Local Transport Improvement Scheme) grouping together transport and highway improvement needs for several parishes.  Ongoing.

 

 

 

 

3.13

(12.1) Easement Letters – Letters were prepared and delivered to the relevant properties with access to the Rec Field car park. Action complete.

 

 

 

 

3.14

(13.1) Mobile Library – Emails were sent to advise the different village groups of the change of times. Action complete.

 

 

 

 

3.15

(15.2) Condition of path through Sparks Farm – One path from Sparks Farm (2nd Field) to Barnclose Quarry is still non-existent. Clerk to contact Claire Haskins, copying IB.

 

 

SV

 

 

 

4.0

District & County Councillors Reports

 

4.1

District Councillors Report – VH updated the council as follows:-

 

 

·      £80,000 fund for village halls is available. Information to be forwarded to Sue Vaughan.

·      A second application for a Pharmacy in Coleford was been submitted – See item 9.0 below.

·      Fly-tipping seems to be increasing, together with the use of public bins which regularly overflow, especially in Coleford.

·      Planning, Chair brought up the issue of how district councillors are consulted on applications which have been rejected by the Planners. Chair proposed to discuss planning applications early in the meetings to ensure District Councillors are present and have knowledge of the PC’s views.

·      Travellers site in Coleford, decision due at the end of the month.

 

SV

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

5.0

Finance

 

5.1

Financial Statement – Financial statement to 14th August 2011 was agreed and signed. Clerk to add a column to keep track of expenditure on the village stones.

 

SV

 

 

 

5.2

Clerk’s Salary & Expenses – Clerk’s invoice dated 15th August 2011 was agreed. Cheque #627 was signed.

 

 

 

 

5.3

Remuneration of internal auditor – K. Cockroft’s invoice dated 6th July 2011 was agreed. Cheque #628 was signed.

 

 

 

 

6.0

Cemetery  

 

6.1

Mowing – D. Jarvis’ invoices dated 20th June and 14th August were agreed. Cheque #109 was signed.

 

 

 

 

6.2

New Cemetery update – No further progress.

 

 

 

 

7.0

Planning

 

7.1

Latest status of existing applications/decisions.

·      No decision has been made on Myrtle Cottage.

 

 

 

 

7.2

Application 2011/1855; White House, Leigh Street; Single storey rear extension and erection of solar panels on rear facing roof-slope with associated alterations – Chair read the comments made at the time the planning application was submitted 3 years ago. It was unanimously agreed to repeat the comments (The proposals seem reasonable and do not affect the rest of the village, they also fit in with the village design statement and are environmentally friendly).  

 

 

 

 

 

SV

 

 

 

7.3

Application 2011/1857; Grove Shute Farm, Tadhill – Clerk spoke to the officer in charge who confirmed that no consultation was sought as this was a prior notification to MDC only. 

 

 

 

 


 

8.0

Queen’s Diamond Jubilee

 

8.1

Chair to write an email to the various village groups to enquire whether something is already being organised.

 

CC

 

 

 

 

VH leaves the meeting.

 

 

 

 

9.0

Proposed Pharmacy in Coleford

 

9.1

Chair tabled a draft response letter to oppose the Unicare application which would threaten the dispensary at the medical practice (including the home delivery facility). A general discussion took place and no further comment was made. CC to issue.

 

 

 

CC

 

 

 

9.2

BW and RM stated that they were contacting  residents to encourage them to write in. Clerk to issue an enewsletter to inform all residents. 

 

SV

 

 

 

10.0

Telephone Box, Leigh Street

 

10.1

Following discussion over whether a telephone was still needed, CC to write a letter to ask to keep the phone in the box, but also asking to ultimately adopt the kiosk if we fail to retain the phone.

 

 

CC

 

 

 

11.0

Councillors’ Report

 

11.1

PCSO – RM attended PCSO Liaison Meeting, nothing much to report.

·      Next meeting Thusday 3rd November.

 

 

 

 

11.2

Footpaths –IB stated that MO had handed over all the material relating to the footpaths.

 

 

 

 

11.2.1

Weeds on path to Barnclose Quarry - Clerk to enquire with SCC whether weed killer could be provided to maintain the path next year.

 

SV

 

 

 

11.3

Rec Field –Nothing further to report.

·      Whist Drives are resuming, every third Friday of the month, 7.30pm, £2.  

 

 

 

 

11.4

Quarry –Next meeting in October. IB to send a thank you letter following sponsorship of the Fair.

 

IB

 

 

 

11.5

Village Signs – Dates have been organised with the various village groups.  

General public sessions will be held at the Bell Inn on 11th, 18th and 25th September, 2-4pm.

 

 

 

 

11.5.1

BW advised that Jeff Body had chosen the stones to be used at the quarry and these should be moved into place in September.

 

 

 

 

11.6

Highways / Memorial Hall / School / SALC – Nothing further to report.

 

 

 

 

12.0

Meetings attended / to be attended.

 

12.1

Meetings attended:-

·         Planning Training at MDC – CC and SV attended (session to be repeated).

·         PCSO Liaison Meeting – RM attended.

 

 

 

 

13.0

Correspondence

 

13.1

·         Street cleaning – Next clean on 6th September.

·         Allotments – IB brought up the issue of allotments. Clerk to research what the PC’s obligations are.

 

 

SV

 

 

 

14.0

Date & time of next meeting

 

14.1

The next Parish Council Meeting will be held on 19th September 2011, at 7.30pm in the Memorial Hall, Committee Room.