MINUTES

 

LEIGH ON MENDIP ANNUAL PARISH COUNCIL MEETING

held on 19th September 2011

 at 7.30pm in the Memorial Hall

 

 

Councillors Present

Chris Cudmore – Chairman (CC), Ian Barnes (IB), Rose Martin (RM, in part), Jake Smith (JS) and Brenda Wigmore (BW).

 

In attendance: S Vaillant (SV; Clerk), Phil Ham (PH) and Val Horler (VH) District Councillors.

 

 

 

 

 

Action

1.0

Apologies

 

1.1

Late apologies were received from RM.

GC, County Councillor) also advised that she would not be able to attend.

 

 

 

 

2.0

Declaration of Interest

 

2.1

No interest was declared.

 

 

 

 

3.0

Co-Option of Councillor

 

3.1

Following Jake Smith’s introduction to the council last month, CC proposed that he be co-opted as Parish Councillor, BW seconded. SV to organise for the relevant forms to be signed and information to be forwarded to JS.

 

 

SV

 

 

 

3.2

Clerk to find out date/time of councillor training with SALC.

SV

 

 

 

4.0

Minutes of the meeting held on 15/08/11 and matters arising

 

4.1

The minutes of the meeting held on 15th August 2011 were agreed as a true and accurate record of the meeting held, with the following amendments:-

·      Item 3.9 – Action for IB to replace the water butt was omitted.

·      Item 11.1 - Should read Thursday, not ‘Thusday’.

 

 

 

 

4.2

(3.3) Village Welcome packs were handed out as noted. Action complete.

 

 

 

 

4.3

(3.9) Water Butt – Base has been repaired and new stone installed by IB.

 

 

 

 

4.4

(3.15) Condition of path through Sparks Farm – One path from Sparks Farm
(2nd Field) to Barnclose Quarry, diagonally, is still non-existent. Clerk to contact Claire Haskins, copying IB.

 

 

SV

 

 

 

4.5

(4.1) Grant for Village Halls – Clerk to inform Village Hall Committee (details in Parishes Information Bulletin published by MDC).

 

SV

 

 

 

4.6

Pharmacy Application, Coleford – Letter to oppose first application was sent off and a response was received from David Heath (copy in correspondence file).

 

 

 

 

4.7

(8.1) Queen’s Diamond Jubilee – Event to be organised at the Bell Inn. Village groups had been asked to communicate their plans to CC so that they could be publicised on the website to prevent clashes.

 

 

 

 

4.8

(9.1) Weeds on path to Barnclose Quarry – CC to advise Highways.

CC

 

 

 

4.9

(11.4) IB drafted a thank you letter for Tarmac sponsorship of the Fair, to be issued.

 

IB

 

 

 

4.10

(13.1) Allotments – Clerk updated the council on the PC’s obligations.

 

 

 

 

 

5.0

District Councillors Reports

 

5.1

VH updated the council as follows:-

 

 

·      Mendip Country Practice setting up a Patient Participation Group. CC agreed to publish details on website and to advise surgery of contact for Village Connection.

 

 

CC

 

 

 

5.2

PH updated the council as follows:-

 

 

·      Update on application for travellers site which has been turned down, although an appeal could be lodged against the decision.

·      Information to be circulated shortly about new Initiative to tackle rural isolation.

·      Email to be circulated re. ‘Coping with Bad Weather in winter’.

·      Update on Recycling Centre, Coleford  and associated increased fly-tipping.

 

 

 

 

6.0

Planning

 

6.1

Latest status of existing applications/decisions.

·      Application 2011//1243; Myrtle Cottage – Approved with conditions

·      Application 2011/1855; White House – Approved with conditions.

 

 

 

 

6.2

Application 2011/2061; Fox Hollow, Leigh Street; Leigh Upon Mendip; Front Porch – After reviewing the proposals, BW proposed (IB seconded, all agreed) to support the application because there is a need for it (entrance door currently opens directly onto living room) and it fits into the existing design. It was also noted that neighbouring listed property had an application approved in the last couple of years.

 

 

 

 

6.3

Application 2011/2007; Great House Farm; Alterations to landscaping within cartilage of listed building – The plans were reviewed and the Chair reminded the council of the decisions made on the previous applications. IB proposed to leave the decision to the listed building officer (BW seconded, all agreed).

 

 

 

 

 

RM joins the meeting.

 

 

 

 

7.0

Finance

 

7.1

Financial Statement – Financial statement to 18th September 2011 was agreed and signed. Clerk to add budget figure at top of Village Stones column.

 

SV

 

 

 

7.2

Clerk’s Salary & Expenses – Clerk’s invoice dated 19th September 2011 was agreed. Cheque #629 was signed.

 

 

 

 

7.3

Invoice for Hire of Memorial Hall (Village Signs workshops) – Invoice dated 16th August 2011 was agreed. Cheque #630 was signed.  

 

 

 

 

7.4

Further expenses were paid for reimbursement of materials and refreshments for public sessions with the artist. 7.3 & 7.4 expenses are part of the Village Stone budget for which grant has been received.

 

 

 

 

8.0

Cemetery  

 

8.1

Mowing – D. Jarvis’ invoice dated 16th September was agreed. Cheque #111 was signed.

 

 

 

 

8.2

Hedge Trimming contract to be carried out soon. BW to liaise with R. Cambourne.

BW

 

 

 

8.3

New Cemetery update – No further progress.

 

 

 

 

9.0

Telephone Box; Leigh Street – Adoption and ideas for its use

 

9.1

Keeping the phone and the box was not an option as call usage has been minimal in the past 12 months (no paying or emergency calls, only 6 free calls) and it was therefore agreed to adopt the box and to ask residents for ideas for its use.
CC to confirm to BT that the PC wishes to adopt the box.

 

 

 

CC

 

 

 

10.0

2nd Coleford Pharmacy Application

 

10.1

Chair explained that a second planning application had been submitted, with the addition that it was proposing to offer a home delivery service. CC had drafted a letter which was agreed  as it is felt that the application would not only affect service at the Surgery but increase competition for the two shops selling over-the-counter medicines in the village.  CC to issue.  

 

 

 

 

CC

 

 

 

11.0

Somerset Electoral Review

 

11.1

Noted. No action required at this stage

 

 

 

 

12.0

Village Welcome Pack Update

 

12.1

Last updates were noted and confirmed. Chair to finalise and make available on the website. It was agreed that packs would be printed as and when needed.

 

CC

 

 

 

 

PH and VH leave the meeting

 

 

 

 

13.0

Councillors’ Report

 

13.1

PCSO – Non-emergency police number is now 101. Clerk to update information on notice boards. Next Liaison meeting Thursday 3rd November.

 

SV

 

 

 

13.2

Footpaths – RM advised that footpath by Barnes Close Quarry had been cleared.

 

 

 

 

13.3

Rec Field – RM reported as follows:-

·      Whist Drives have resumed, every third Friday of the month, 7.30pm, £2.

·      Looking at new nets for the goal posts.

·      Hoping to clear the pile of rubble behind the shed.

·      RM to check with committee if a grant is required this year.   

 

 

 

 

RM

 

 

 

13.4

Quarry – Next meeting Thursday 13th October. Minutes have been distributed.

 

 

 

 

13.5

Village Signs – The stones have now been selected and are in storage in Barnes Close Quarry. Sessions are under way and are well attended.

 

 

 

 

13.6

Memorial Hall – AGM on Monday 7th November. Forthcoming events:-

15th October – Music from ‘Intricate’; bar opens 7.30pm; £7.50

 

 

 

 

13.7

SALC – AGM on Saturday 24th September 2011.

 

 

 

 

13.8

School / Highways – Nothing further to report.

 

 

 

 

14.0

Meetings attended / to be attended.

 

14.1

Meetings attended:-

·         Parish Forum meeting was cancelled at the last minute.
Next meeting on 28th November.

 

Meetings to be attended:-

·         Quarry Meeting; Thursday 13th October

·         PCSO Liaison Meeting; Thursday 3rd November

 

 

 

 

15.0

Correspondence

 

15.1

No further correspondence was tabled.

 

 

 

 

16.0

Date & time of next meeting

 

16.1

The next Parish Council Meeting will be held on 17th October 2011, at 7.30pm in the Memorial Hall, Committee Room.