DRAFT MINUTES

 

LEIGH ON MENDIP PARISH COUNCIL MEETING

held on 16th January 2012

 at 7.30pm in the Memorial Hall

 

 

Councillors Present

Chris Cudmore – Chairman (CC), I Barnes (IB), A Dagger (AD), R Martin (RM), J Smith (JS) and
B Wigmore (BW).

 

In attendance: S Vaillant (SV; Clerk), P Ham (PH) and V Horler (VH), District Councillors, G Cawood (GC, County councillor), 1 Mells Parish Councillor, 1 member of the public and 2 representatives from Tarmac (Andrew Cadell, Estates Manager and Ben Matthews, Geologist).

 

 

 

 

 

Action

1.0

Apologies

 

1.1

No apologies were received; the full council was in attendance.

 

 

 

 

2.0

Declaration of Interest

 

2.1

No interest was declared.

 

 

 

 

 

Chair advised that the order of the meeting would be changed to allow for presentation by Tarmac relating to the planning applications 2011/3232 & 3235.

 

 

 

 

3.0

Minutes of the meeting held on 19/12/11 and matters arising

 

3.1

The minutes of the meeting held on 19th December 2011 were agreed as a true and accurate record of the meeting held.

 

 

 

 

3.2

(3.2) Condition of path through Sparks Farm – Nothing further to report. IB agreed to issue a letter to remind farmer of his obligations come spring time. PH mentioned new reinforcement measures implemented by SCC.

 

 

IB

 

 

 

3.3

(3.8) Footpath at Manor Farm – IB to contact owner to seek permission. Ongoing.

IB

 

 

 

3.4

(3.9) Oil Scheme – Notices are displayed on the notice boards. 

 

 

 

 

3.5

(8.2) Narrowing of the road at Townsend – Jeff Bunting (SCC Highways) was consulted, but there doesn’t seem to be any traffic calming measures that would be suitable due to the layout of the road in the area.

 

 

 

 

3.6

(3.8) Copy of Insurance schedule – This was forwarded to RM.

 

 

 

 

3.7

(4.1) Co-Option of Councillor - Declaration of Interest form has been returned to the Clerk.

 

 

 

 

4.0

District Councillors Reports

 

4.1

PH (District Councillor, MDC) updated the council as follows:-

·      Play Strategy and Leisure Strategy being written;

·      Looking at organising a larger market in Frome once a week, which would include closing the High Street;

·      Review of CCTV cameras;

·      Update on Coleford pharmacy.

 

 

 

 

5.0

Minerals Option Strategy Consultation

 

5.1

Chair tabled the consultation document. A meeting to be chaired by SCC has been organised for 25th January 2012 to answer any queries; CC to attend.

Decision to be made next month.

 

 

 

 

7.0

Planning

 

7.1

Latest status of existing applications/decisions:-

·      App. 2011//2061; Fox Hollow front porch – no decision

·      App. 2011/2109; Rookery Farmhouse – no decision

·      App. 2011/2329; LJH Group Ltd – Agreed with conditions

·      App. 2011/1916; Grove Shute Farm East – Clerk advised some amendments had been submitted and this will be discussed next month.

 

 

 

 

7.2

Planning Application 2011/3232 & 3235 – Halecombe Quarry; application to vary various conditions & Installation of water pipe from Halecombe Quarry to Soho House – Andrew Cadell, Tarmac Estates Manager, and Ben Matthews, Geologist, were in attendance. Mr Cadell stressed that this was not a new application, but a ‘tidy up exercise’ of the existing conditions to the current permission and gave a presentation to outline the proposals:

·      To vary the conditions to a permission for which consent has already been obtained

·      Provide a balancing lake onsite

·      Water augmentation solution for Soho Farm spring

·      Revise quarry working and restoration scheme

·      Amend superseded planning conditions

·      Consolidating S106 agreement

 

 

 

 

7.2.1

Following a Q&A session, it was agreed that the proposals seemed reasonable and logical. CC reminded the council to make observations on issues that affect the village and proposed to be consulted further before the details of working hours and environment conditions are to be agreed, JS seconded, all agreed.

 

 

 

 

 

PH and VH leave the meeting.

 

 

 

 

8.0

Finance

 

8.1

Financial Statement – Financial statement to 15th January 2015 was agreed and signed.

 

 

 

 

8.2

Budget 2012/13 & Precept – After review of the draft budget, CC proposed to keep the precept at the current level, JS seconded, all agreed.

 

 

 

 

8.3

RM suggested it might be time to review the parish plan. Clerk to put in agenda.

SV

 

 

 

8.4

Clerk’s Salary & Expenses – Clerk’s invoice dated 19th December 2011 was agreed. Cheque #653 to be signed once cheque book is received.

 

 

 

 

8.5

Invoices were agreed for Village Stone expenses as follows (Big Lottery Grant):-

·      For materials for the placement of the stones. Cheque #654 agreed.

 

 

 

 

9.0

Cemetery  

 

9.1

Quotations for grass cutting and hedge trimming – Clerk to obtain quotes from Dave Jarvis, Rod Cambourne and Alistair Barlow for grass cutting and hedge trimming for 2012 and following two years.

 

 

SV

 

 

 

10.0

Nominations for use of telephone box

 

10.1

The following ideas have been put forward: notice board,  sale/wanted ads, gallery for exhibition of children’s art work from the pre-school, events posters (if door was to remain open permanently), book exchange, ‘telephone exchange’ for services exchange. Use to be agreed once adoption has been completed.

 

 

 

 

11.0

Councillors’ Report

 

11.1

PCSO – Nothing further to report. Next meeting on 9th February.

 

 

 

 

11.2

Footpaths – Repairs were done to a couple of gates. IB agreed to look at gate by the water trough, on path beyond Pitten House.

 

IB

 

 

 

11.2.1

Chair mentioned email by Mendip Ramblers; which are offering to contact them. SV to forward email to IB (dated 15th December).

 

SV

 

 

 

11.3

Highways – Nothing further to report.

Tuesday 31st January – Street cleaning (future dates on the website)

Saturday 17th March – Village clean up organised by WI.

 

 

 

 

11.4

Rec Field – Nothing further to report. 

 

 

 

 

11.5

Memorial Hall – BW read the minutes of the last Committee meeting.

SV offered to look at historical drawings showing maps of the hall and the pub to ascertain which parts of the car park belong to whom.

 

 

SV

 

 

 

11.6

SALC – Clerk reported on situation regarding to the abolition of Standards Board, and future Code of Conduct documents.

 

 

 

 

11.7

Village Signs – Stones have been installed and bulbs have been ordered to plant around the stones. A date for the opening ceremony is to be set shortly.

BW to draft thank you letters to Frank Higgins and Rick Massey who helped prepare the 3 sites and put the stones in place.

 

 

 

BW/SV

 

 

 

11.8

School/Quarry – Nothing further to report.

 

 

 

 

12.0

Meetings attended / to be attended.

 

12.1

Meetings to be attended:-

·       Planning Training for Councillors – 18th January, 2pm & 6pm, MDC offices.

·       Minerals Option Meeting – 25th January; 8.15pm, Cranmore Village Hall.

·       Growing connections in Mendip – 31st January; 7-9pm. RM to attend.

 

 

 

 

13.0

Date & time of next meeting

 

13.1

The next Parish Council Meeting will be held on 20th February 2012, at 7.30pm in the Memorial Hall, Committee Room.