DRAFT  MINUTES

 

LEIGH ON MENDIP PARISH COUNCIL MEETING

held on 16th April 2012

 at 7.30pm in the Memorial Hall

 

 

Councillors Present: C Cudmore – Chairman (CC), I Barnes (IB), J Smith (JS), and B Wigmore (BW).

In attendance: S Vaillant (SV; Clerk), V Horler (VH) and P Ham (PH; in part), District Councillors.

 

 

Action

1.0

Apologies

 

1.1

Apologies were received from R Martin (RM) and A Dagger (AD).

G Cawood also advised she would not be able to attend.

 

 

 

 

2.0

Declaration of Interest

 

2.1

No interest was declared.

 

 

 

 

3.0

Minutes of the meeting held on 19/0312 and matters arising (where not dealt with on the agenda)

 

3.1

The minutes of the meeting held on 19th March 2012 were agreed as a true and accurate record of the meeting held, with the following amendments.

·      VH was not present at the meeting;

·      Item 3.6 should read Memorial Hall Car Park Boundary;

·      Item 3.7 no comments were made;

·      Item 5.3 should read: chair invited comments from the public which included;

·      Item 5.3 a councillor also stated that it was not within the PC remit.

 

 

 

 

3.2

(3.5) Footpath at Pitten House – Council noted that the deviation had not been formally authorised as the applicant had withdrawn his application following consultation exercise. 

 

 

 

 

3.3

(3.9) Details of new PCSO – Information has been displayed on the noticeboards.

 

 

 

 

3.4

(6.1) Local Government Boundary Commission Recommendations – Response in support of the proposals has been sent to the Commission.

 

 

 

 

3.5

(10.5) Conversion of telephone box to public notice board – Materials, to be fitted in due course, have been purchased.

 

 

 

 

3.6

(10.7) Church new flag – Chair has emailed M. Loten with offer of IB’s flag.

 

 

 

 

4.0

District & County Councillors Reports

 

4.1

PH reported as follows after apologising for not being able to attend the last 2 meetings:-

·      Update on outstanding planning applications;

·      Letter from Mr & Mrs Harris/village litter pick-up: there was confusion at MDC over where to pick up the rubble from. Regarding fly-tipping in general, which was also raised in the letter, PH advised that MDC now had specialist trained staff to deal with the growing problem.

·      Cabinet reshuffle/corporate aim of Rural Isolation;

·      County boundaries – There is confusion over the final proposed boundaries.

 

 

 

 

4.2

G Cawood’s report, emailed before the meeting, was noted.

 

 

 

 

5.0

Review of Parish Plan Actions

 

5.1

BW volunteered to review the Parish Plan and create a bullet point list of outstanding items/actions. Chair to email all comments received so far to BW.

 

BW/CC

 

 

 

6.0

Annual Parish Newsletter

 

6.1

The draft circulated before the meeting was agreed after input from BW regarding the village stones project. CC to finalise and forward to clerk to organise printing.

 

CC/SV

 

 

 

6.2

CC to review and email the distribution list to councillors as soon as possible.

CC

 

 

 

7.0

Mendip in Bloom Competition

 

7.1

CC to forward the email to Brian at the pub and put notice on the website.

CC

 

 

 

8.0

Local Transport Grant Application (G Cawood)

 

8.1

CC outlined the unsuccessful bid submitted last year for wig-wag traffic lights to be installed outside the school. It was unanimously agreed to apply again. CC to email GC with proposals.

 

 

CC

 

 

 

9.0

Planning

 

9.1

Latest status of existing applications/decisions:-

·      App. 2011/2061; Fox Hollow front porch – no decision; the planning officer has spoken to the agent with a view to changing to design;

·      App. 2011/2109; Rookery Farmhouse – no decision; negotiations ongoing regarding design;

·      App. 2011/1916; Grove Shute Farm East– approved with conditions;

·      App. 2011/3232 & 3235; Halecombe Quarry – no decision; SCC considering.

 

 

 

 

9.2

Chair advised that a new planning application for a single story extension at Long Cottage had been received. This will be discussed at the next meeting subject to an extension of time being granted by MDC.

 

 

 

 

10.0

Finance

 

10.1

Financial Statement – Financial Statement to 15th April 2012 was agreed and signed.  

 

 

 

 

10.2

VAT – Clerk advised it was possible to recover VAT on the items purchased for the Village Stones project. It was agreed to utilise the money to reimburse clerk for extra hours spent on the project. Clerk to submit an invoice.  

 

 

SV

 

 

 

10.3

End of year accounts / Annual Return – The end of year accounts were agreed. The accounting statement was approved and signed by the Chair.

 

 

 

 

10.4

Assets & Risk Audit Reports

 

10.4.1

Assets - Clerk tabled the list of assets and proposed to add the village stones and the telephone box (£1), which were acquired this year. Clerk to check the amount to include for the stones with SALC.

 

 

SV

 

 

 

10.4.2

Redundant ‘Leigh on Mendip’ sign will be auctioned at the fair with proceeds to be divided between the village groups (other sign was disposed of due to rusty condition).

 

 

 

 

10.4.3

The Risk Assessment document was unanimously agreed and signed.

 

 

 

 

10.5

Clerk’s Salary & Expenses – Clerk’s invoice dated 16th April 2012 was agreed. Cheque #674 was signed. Clerk to contact SALC to query procedure to change clerk’s pay scale now that it has reached the upper scale stated on the contract.

 

 

SV

 

 

 

10.6

Reimbursement of costs following purchase of material to refurbish telephone box – Expenses tabled were unanimously agreed, cheque #675 was signed.

 

 

 

 

 

PH joins the meeting.

 

 

 

 

11.0

Cemetery  

 

11.1

Grass Cutting and Hedge Trimming Contract – D Barlow was not able to fulfil the contract as his workload had increased since providing the quotation in February.

Two further quotations were obtained and considered. IB proposed (BW seconded, all agreed) to award the contract to Mr Perkins a contractor living in the village, for £100 per cut, every 3 weeks, from April to October. It was agreed to allow for two cuts at short interval to take place in April to allow for the late start. Clerk to issue contract.

 

 

 

 

 

SV

 

 

 


 

11.2

New cemetery – The need to look for land for a new cemetery was noted. IB proposed (CC seconded, all agreed) to ask the Nielsens whether they would be agreeable to selling a parcel of land in the field behind Manor Farm.  

 

 

SV

 

 

 

11.2.1

IB also suggested to ask the Parochial committee whether they would consider re-utilising the space at the front left of the Churchyard. Clerk to enquire.

 

SV

 

 

 

11.2.2

Notices to be displayed in the noticeboards inviting suggestions/offers of land for new cemetery.

 

SV

 

 

 

12.0

Councillors’ Report

 

12.1

PCSO – RM not present. Nothing to report.

 

 

 

 

12.2

Footpaths – Fallen Holly Tree opposite Coleford House – IB to contact James Alexandroff at Coleford House to obtain authorisation to clear the obstruction. VH to email contact details.

 

 

VH

 

 

 

12.2.1

Footpaths across Sparks Farm - IB has spoken to Rick Massey to remind him of his obligations.

 

 

 

 

12.2.2

Footpaths strategy – Parish Council powers to only ‘maintain existing footpaths’ was noted. All other issues regarding footpaths and Rights of Ways in general are dealt with by SCC. Henceforth, It was unanimously agreed that the PC would only respond to maintenance issues and that all other issues pertaining to Rights of Way, when brought up as a complaint by a parishioner, would be reported to Claire Haskins.

Clerk offered to put Claire Haskins’ contact details on the noticeboards for parishioners to contact directly over Rights of Ways issues.  

 

 

 

 

 

 

SV

 

 

 

12.2.3

IB has been walking the footpaths and everything is in order.

 

 

 

 

12.3

Highways - JS awaiting response from Highways regarding the flooding outside entrance to Tarmac.

 

 

 

 

12.3.1

New Pothole initiative - Clerk has advised HS of parish’s interest in taking part in the scheme.

 

 

 

 

12.4

Rec Field – RM not present. Nothing to report.  

 

 

 

 

12.5

Memorial Hall – Bren updated on recent activity and upcoming events as follows:-

·      Successful Quiz night;

·      Village Fete organisation ongoing;

·      A new play from the author of ‘Mad woman in the attic’ might be shown.

·      A letter has been sent to Wadworth regarding the condition of the car park.

 

PH advised that some funding was available from MDC for Village Halls this year.

 

 

 

 

12.6

SALC – The following was noted:-

·      Update on situation regarding the Code of Conduct;

·      Clerk attended Financial training/update.

·      New round of Councillor training: SV to email dates to BW.

 

 

 

SV

 

 

 

12.7

School – Possible grant request to replace old and broken school server was noted.
IB asked if the school would be interested in help from a local IT guy. Clerk to speak with M. Sturgess.

 

 

SV

 

 

 

12.8

Quarry – Next Halecombe Quarry Liaison Meeting on Wednesday 25th April, 10am, in the morning. AD to attend. Chair asked for any issues councillors would like to report:-

·      IB mentioned quarry input at the village fete;

·      AD to thank the quarry for organising the planting of trees with the school children.

 

 

 

AD

 

 

 

13.0

Meetings attended/To be attended

 

13.1

Meetings attended:-

  • Clerk attended Financial update by SALC.

 

13.2

Meetings to be attended:-

  • Monday 23rd April - Parish Forum, 6.30pm – No one able to attend.
  • Monday 25th April - Quarry liaison Meeting – AD to attend

 

 

AD

 

 

 

14.0

Correspondence

 

14.1

Letter from the lottery regarding the closing of the project was noted.

Rural housing seminar on 30th April; noted.

Armed forces day on June 30th; invitation to fly a flag; noted.

 

 

15.0

Date & time of next meeting

 

15.1

The Annual Parish Council Meeting  and Annual Parish Meeting will be held on 21st May 2012, at 7.30pm and 8pm respectively in the Memorial Hall. Clerk to organise refreshments.

BW presented her apologies for the next meeting.

 

SV