DRAFT  MINUTES

 

LEIGH ON MENDIP PARISH COUNCIL MEETING

held on 18th June  2012

 at 7.30pm in the Memorial Hall

 

 

Councillors Present: C Cudmore – Chairman (CC), I Barnes (IB), A Dagger (AD), J Smith (JS) and
B Wigmore (BW).

In attendance: S Vaillant (SV; Clerk), V Horler (VH) and P Ham (PH), District Councillors, G Cawood (GC, Country Councillor), Chris Langdon (The Langdon Partnership) and 3 parishioners.  

 

 

 

Action

1.0

Apologies

 

1.1

No apologies were received.  

 

 

 

 

1.2

Chair advised that the order of the meeting would be re-arranged to accommodate the parishioners in attendance.

 

 

 

 

2.0

Declaration of Interest

 

2.1

JS declared a non-prejudicial interest in planning application 2012/1017, Grove Shute Farm, Tadhill.

 

 

 

 

3.0

Minutes of the meeting held on 16/04/12 and matters arising

 

3.1

The minutes were agreed as a true and accurate record of the meeting held.

 

 

 

 

3.2

(7.1) Mendip in Bloom Competition – Email was forwarded to Brian at the pub.

 

 

 

 

3.3

(8.1) Local Transport Grant Application proposals were emailed to GC.

 

 

 

 

3.4

 (10.5) Clerk’s Pay Scale – Contract and salary to be reviewed in September.

 

 

 

 

3.5

(12.2.2) Rights of Way issues - Claire Haskins’ details to be displayed on the noticeboards.

SV

 

 

 

3.6

(12.6) Councillor Training – BW was unable to attend the last round of meetings.

 

 

 

 

3.7

(12.7) School Server – It was not possible for IB to help the school who have to buy their IT equipment from specific providers.  

 

 

 

 

3.8

(12.8 and 13.2) AD confirmed having thanked the quarry for organising the tree planting activity with the school children.

 

 

 

 

 

JS, GC and Chris Langdon join the meeting. 

 

 

 

 

4.0

Minutes of Planning Meetings held on 15/05/12 and 29/05/12

 

4.1

The minutes were agreed as a true and accurate record of the meetings held.

 

 

 

 

5.0

Matters arising from Meetings held on 21st May 2012 (APCM & APM)

 

 

Annual Parish Council Meeting

 

5.1

(6.8) Union Flag was purchased and donated to the Parochial Church Council.

 

 

 

 

5.2

(7.1) Rural Lettings Strategy – Comments were submitted to MDC.

 

 

 

 

5.3

(8.3) IB to distribute village welcome packs to Haywards Cottage and  Hollybush Cottage (Knaphill).  Also agreed to post a copy to Oak Cottage.

IB

 

 

 

 

Annual Parish Meeting

 

5.4

(1.10) Clearance of gulley outside Great House Farm – JS to request maintenance.

JS

 

 

 

5.5

(4.3) Item should read Coleford, not Torr Works.  

 

 

 

 

 

5.6

(4.4) Bramble along Church Walk were cleared by IB. Clerk to contact MDC to routinely clear the path while undertaking the mowing at Bellfield.

 

SV

 

 

 

5.7

(4.5) Visibility of Lettering on Village Stones - BW to meet with Jeff Body in the near future and ask him his opinion.

 

BW

 

 

 

6.0

District & County Councillors Reports

 

6.1

PH reported as follows:-

·      Application for Wind Turbine – Coleford PC have agreed to support the application following a vote. Councillors to review the application and advise clerk if they wish to make any comments, so it can be added to agenda for next meeting.

·      Frome Super-Markets will take place on Sunday 1st July, 5th August and 2nd September. 

 

 

 

ALL

 

 

 

6.2

Chair sought clarification about new set up of Parish Forum, dates of which to be publicised to all community groups in the village.

 

CC

 

 

 

6.3

VH attended the meeting at the quarry and urged councillors to visit the Quarry Faces website at http://www.quarryfaces.org.uk for further information about the initiative.

 

 

 

 

6.4

GC reported as follows:-

·      Proposal to reduce number of beds at Shepton Mallet Community hospital;

·      Boundary commission - GC believes that the final proposition will have LoM within the Frome area, which was subsequently supported by SCC. Final recommendations to be published shortly.

·      Local transport grant application – Grant was not awarded to the scheme. GC to pursue this matter with Mendip Highways. GC recommended to write to Jeff Bunting to remind him that he had agreed to take this up;

·      Small grants will be shortly available from County Councillors;

·      £10,000 grant will shortly be available for health & wellbeing.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

SV

 

 

 

6.5

Weed killing/spraying along pavements – GC confirmed that this would not be undertaken routinely, unless noxious weeds are reported. GC to find out if the PC is allowed to do it itself.

 

 

GC

 

 

 

6.6

Overgrown verges – Clerk to forward copy of email issued to H. Siggs regarding the need to cut back verges more often as it is becoming dangerous at junctions.

 

SV

 

 

 

6.7

Chair reiterated that SCC and MDC need to advise councils when maintenance works are being cut back, in order to anticipate issues and/or problems.

 

 

 

 

 

GC leaves the meeting.

 

 

 

 

7.0

Election of Representatives

 

7.1

Recreation Field            Alan Dagger

Memorial Hall                Brenda Wigmore

Footpaths                     Ian Barnes                      

Highways                      Jake Smith

PCSO                           Alan Dagger agreed to try to attend most of the meetings;

School                          Brenda Wigmore

Quarry                          Chris Cudmore / Alan Dagger

SALC                            Chris Cudmore / Clerk

 

 

 

 

7.2

Clerk to advise MDC, SCC and relevant organisations about change of representatives.

 

SV

8.0

Parish Plan Actions

 

8.1

BW to circulate updated status report. Postponed to July meeting.  

BW

 

 

 

9.0

Support for School Bike Rack Initiative

 

9.1

Email detailing the need for bike racks at the school and at the Village Hall to promote cycling round the village was read. It was agreed this was a good idea and the PC would support such an initiative, and advise if sources of funding are available.

 

 

 

 

10.0

Planning

 

10.1

Latest status of existing applications/decisions:-

·      App. 2011/2061; Fox Hollow front porch – no decision; SV to email C. Rodjaz at MDC to obtain information on the situation.

·      App. 2011/2109; Rookery Farmhouse – negotiations ongoing regarding design;

·      App. 2011/3232 & 3235; Halecombe Quarry – no decision.

 

 

SV

 

 

 

10.2

Planning Application 2012/0930; Recreation Field, Leigh Street; Extend Tarmac Area and provide a skate park with ramps – It was noted that the PC was the applicant and that no objections had been received from parishioners. CC proposed (JS seconded, all agreed) to recommend approval.

 

 

 

 

10.3

Planning Application 2012/1017; Grove Shute Farm, Tadhill; Variation of condition to allow a building to be used to butcher and process meat and other produce from local farms as well as that which has been raised/grown on the farm holding – The applicant explained the proposals, confirming that there would no increase in vehicle movement.

Chair explained that this application was previously supported as The Parish Council is also keen to encourage business and business growth within the village, but that it was also concerned with protecting the local residents. IB proposed (AD seconded, all agreed) to recommend approval as it is believed there will be little impact on traffic as the additional meat to be imported will be from the same source as the one raised/grown on the farm holding (i.e. the abattoir) and will be contained within the same delivery vehicles, but would ask that the conditions of business stay the same as those for previous planning applications.

 

 

 

 

10.4

Planning Application 2012/1125; 15 Park Hayes, LoM; Single storey extension & Demolition of detached garage – The applicant in attendance at the meeting explained the proposals. After review of the application documents and drawings, AD proposed (IB seconded, all agreed) to recommend approval as the proposed extension, to replace the detached garage, will be to the same height, will have little impact on neighbouring properties and there will be no visual impact from the street. No objections to these proposals have been received from parishioners.

 

 

 

 

10.5

Grove Shute Farm – Nick Hiscox gave a brief history of the site and outlined future plans, asking if the PC would be supportive of such an initiative in principle. One possible idea, aside from farming, is for a regeneration of the site with the construction of a small number of ‘live to work’ units (dwellings with adjacent workshops/work rooms), sympathetic to sustainability, which is important to the land owner.

 

 

 

 

10.5.1

Following a general discussion around the nature and demand for this kind of dwelling, CC stated that the PC was generally supportive of this kind of initiative as long as conditions are put in place around the working units to also protect residents. More detailed business plan and/or drawings would need to be considered before a final recommendation can be made. Clerk to organise a visit of the site with N. Hiscox.

 

 

 

 

SV

 

 

 

 

Chris Langdon and NH leave the meeting.

 

 

 

 

11.0

Finance

 

11.1

Financial Statement – Financial Statement to 16th June 2012 was agreed and signed.  

Clerk to calculate and add amount of S37 expenditure allowed for financial year 12/13.

 

SV

 

 

 

11.2

Clerk’s Salary & Expenses – Clerk’s invoice dated 18th June 2012 was agreed. Cheque #684 was signed.

 

SV

 

 

 

12.0

Cemetery  

 

12.1

Payment of invoice for Grass Cutting – C Perkins’ invoice for cuts up to 1st June 2012 was agreed. Cheque #114 was signed.

 

 

 

 

12.2

Clerk to contact Chris Perkins to ensure cuts are done on a regular fortnightly basis.

SV

 

 

 

12.3

New cemetery – The clerk has been contacted by the school who wish to sell the pond area at the end of the field, adjacent to the churchyard. Clerk to organise a site visit and query how much the school would be ready to sell the parcel of land for.

Clerk to also query whether the wall between the Churchyard and the pond is protected.

 

 

SV

SV

 

 

 

12.4

The PC was advised it was not possible to re-open the closed Churchyard in areas which are not used.

 

 

 

 

12.5

The Nielsens have been contacted with a view to purchasing a parcel the field behind Manor Farm. Clerk to chase.

 

SV

 

 

 

13.0

Councillors’ Report

 

13.1

PCSO – Ben Green’s report was noted.

 

 

 

 

13.2

Footpaths – Paths are being strimmed when reported and walked to make practicable.

 

 

 

 

13.3

Highways – SV to email useful contact details to JS, new Highway Representative.

SV

 

 

 

13.4

Rec Field – CC noted the very successful fair and Barn Dance and extended thanks to Vanessa Barnes and Amy Fukuyama for organising the evening event.

 

 

 

 

13.5

Memorial Hall – BW updated the PC on recent activity and upcoming events.

 

 

 

 

13.6

School – BW updated the PC on recent activity and trips. A DVD of the play ‘The Ancient Olympics’ is available from the school office.  

 

 

 

 

13.7

Quarry – CC thanked the quarry for their support to the annual fair by donating £1,000, hiring the marquis and the portable toilets.

 

 

 

 

14.0

Meetings to be attended

 

14.1

Clerk to check date of next PCSO meeting.  

SV

 

 

 

15.0

Correspondence

 

15.1

 

·      Chair to circulate the Parishes Information Bulletin to village groups;

·      Civil Parking enforcement letter (responsibility for enforcement has shifted from the policy to the County Council).

CC

 

 

 

15.2

Items to be circulated and discussed at July meeting:-

 

 

·      Nominations for the Chairman’s Award for Services to the Community;

·      Strimmer initiative; to be discussed at July meeting

 

 

 

 

16.0

Date & time of next meeting

 

16.1

The next Parish Council meeting will be held on 16th July 2012, at 7.30pm at the Memorial Hall, Committee room.

 

 

16.2

There will not be a meeting in August.