DRAFT  MINUTES

 

LEIGH ON MENDIP PARISH COUNCIL MEETING

held on 17th September  2012

 at 7.30pm in the Memorial Hall

 

 

Councillors Present: C Cudmore – Chairman (CC), I Barnes (IB), A Dagger (AD) and B Wigmore (BW).

In attendance: S Vaillant (SV; Clerk), V Horler (VH, District Councillor) and G Cawood (GC) County Councillor.  

 

 

 

Action

1.0

Apologies

 

1.1

Late apologies were received from BW. VH gave apologies for P Ham, District Councillor.

 

 

1.2

Chair advised the order of the meeting would be altered to accommodate County Councillor’s report.

 

 

2.0

Declaration of Interest

 

2.1

No interest was declared.

 

 

3.0

Minutes of the meetings held on 16.07.12 and 30.08.12 and matters arising

 

3.1

The minutes of both meetings were agreed as true and accurate records of the meetings held, although it was noted that actions from July meeting were deferred until the next meeting.

 

 

3.2

(3.2) Clearance of gulley outside Great House Farm - Clerk confirmed the cleaning of the gulley was following report by JS the previous month. Action complete.

 

 

3.3

(3.3) Bramble along Church Walk – Clerk has asked MDC that Church Walk be cut back.

In the meantime, IB agreed to check the present condition to see if it needs a cut.

 

 

IB

3.4

(3.4) Visibility of lettering on Village Stones – A meeting with Jeff has been organised for Monday 24th September to discuss the visibility of the lettering at night and the price of replacing the stones for insurance purposes. BW to attend.

 

 

 

BW

 

3.5

(3.6) Local Grant application – Jeff Bunting confirmed over the summer that wig-wag would be installed with timescale to be confirmed in due course. Action complete.

 

 

3.6

(3.7 & 3.8) Weed killing & Overgrown verges – See item 4.1, County Councillor’s report, below. Action complete.

 

 

3.7

(3.9) Visit of Grove Shute Farm – N.Hiscox advised that he was waiting for some artist’s impressions of the proposed developed site to be sent to him and suggested the council visit the site when these have arrived, to have an informed discussion. It was agreed to wait for N. Hiscox to contact the council once plans are ready. Action complete.

 

 

3.8

(7.1) Mendip Strimming Project – Response was sent to SCC. Action complete.

 

 

3.9

 

(10.2) Cutting of hedge in cemetery – Clerk has asked C. Perkins to undertake. Action complete.

 

 

3.10

(14.1) Local Goverment Boundary Commission – Chair confirmed that LoM was definitely included in the Mendip Central and East cluster, as requested. Action complete.

 

 

3.11

(12.6.1) Mowing of Recreation Field – AD to ask Rec. Field Committee to make proposals for the future maintenance of the field. Continues.

 

 

AD

 

Matters Arising from meeting 18.06.12

 

3.12

(3.5) Rights of Way issues – C. Haskins details are displayed on the noticeboards. Action complete.

 

 

3.13

(5.3) Welcome packs were distributed to new residents. Action complete.

 

 

3.14

(6.2) Parish Forums – Chair circulated dates and publicised new format of forum to all community groups. Action complete.

 

 

3.15

(7.2) Relevant organisations, where necessary, were advised of names of new representatives. Action complete.

 

 

3.16

(10.1) Planning; Fox Hollow front porch – Clerk updated Council at July meeting. Action complete.

 

 

3.17

(13.3) Highways – Contact details of key highway personnel were emailed to JS. Action complete.

 

 

3.18

(15.1) Parishes information bulletin was circulated, and will be circulated regularly, to all village groups. Action complete.

 

 

4.0

District & County Councillors Reports

 

4.1

GC reported as follows:-

·       Health & Wellbeing budget scheme - Each County Councillor has £10,000 available to spend (by January 2013).

·       Community Enablement Fund; Purpose was outlined.

·       Community Warden Scheme (to replace Parish Lengthman Scheme).

·       Verge Cutting – GC advised that cuts were on a parish per parish basis when reported, although the true cost of being reactive rather than organising 3 cuts throughout the county as a matter of routine was questioned. GC agreed to follow this up.

·       Weed killing – GC agreed to read the community warden scheme brief, which should contain information about weed killing. GC to query with SCC the real cost of reducing weed killing (therefore damaging pavements and walls) vs. redoing footpaths.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

GC

 

 

GC

4.2

GC also mentioned the consultation on the future of street lights, and that Leigh was 1 of 14 villages selected for trial. Chair expressed surprise at this as the Parish Council had not been informed of this latest development, despite requests to be kept in the loop. CC to query with SCC.

 

 

 

 

CC

 

BW joins the meeting.

 

 

4.3

VH reported as follows:-

·       Finger post at the junction on top of Soho Cottages – Clerk to request a finger to indicate direction to Coleford.

·       Citizens Advice Bureau are desperate for donations. The number of people using the service has gone up in recent years whilst donations have fallen.

 

 

 

SV

5.0

Adoption of New Code of Conduct

 

5.1

Clerk circulated both NALC and Mendip/SALC models prior to the meeting. CC proposed to adopt the Code of Conduct as drafted by the Clerk and based on the SALC model (IB seconded, all agreed).

 

 

5.2

All Declaration of Interests forms to be completed and returned to the Clerk for forwarding to MDC within 28 days of adoption of the Code of Conduct.

 

 

ALL/SV

6.0

Adoption of Updated Standing Orders

 

6.1

CC proposed to adopt the updated Standing Orders document as suggested by SALC following the change to the Code of Conduct, also deleting clause S01j (to raise its hand and stand when speaking). IB seconded, all agreed.

 

 

6.2

Delegation of business to clerk in case of non-quorum to be investigated.

SV

 

7.0

Health & Wellbeing Strategy for Somerset (consultation)

 

7.1

Noted. No action.

 

 

8.0

Approval of Parish Plan Action Update

 

8.1

Chair tabled updated action plan to be displayed on the website and updated as actions are completed. All agreed.

 

 

CC

8.2

Parish Plan Actions –

·      Information is now being displayed in the telephone box.

·      Village Neighbourhood Sign – CC to pick up from BW.

·      Sign posts – Reported. Action complete.

·      Dog bin – see item 10 below.

 

 

 

CC

9.0

Actions to fill three parish council vacancies

 

9.1

IB offered to draft a ‘village needs your help’ poster to display around the village.

 

IB

10.0

Purchase of Additional Dog Waste Bin

 

10.1

Clerk tabled prices from Glasdon for a Retriever 50 bin (identical to those already in situ). CC proposed to purchase, BW seconded, all agreed. AD offered to install the bin once received; Clerk to advise MDC.

 

 

 

AD/SV

11.0

Finance

 

11.1

Financial Statement – Financial Statement to 16th September 2012 was agreed and signed.  

 

 

11.2

Completion of Annual Audit 2011/12 – Moore Stephens Chartered Accountants have completed the annual audit for the year ended 31 March 2012. One comment was noted as follows:- The bank balance after the deduction of outstanding cheques is overdrawn. We understand that some cheques were written before the year end but their issue was delayed to avoid an actual overdraft. This is not good practice and should be avoided in the future. Cheques should be issued when they are written, and not delayed.

It was noted that the Parish Council had to write all cheques to satisfy the condition of the Lottery Grant for the Village Stones.

 

 

11.2.1

The notice of conclusion of the audit will be displayed for 14 days.

 

SV

11.3

Clerk’s Salary & Expenses – Clerk’s invoice dated 17th September 2012 was agreed. Cheque #686 was signed.

 

 

11.4

Payment of invoice from Moore Stephens (External Auditor) – Invoice dated 16th July 2012 was agreed. Cheque #687 was signed.

 

 

11.5

Payment of invoice from SALC (Code of Conduct Training) – Invoice dated July 2012 was agreed. Cheque #688 was signed.

 

 

12.0

Cemetery  

 

12.1

Payment of invoice for Grass Cutting – Invoice for interim cut at the cemetery was agreed. Cheque #116 was signed.

 

 

12.2

New cemetery; Offer of school pond area adjacent to churchyard – Although the area might be too small, it was agreed that the council should visit the site. SV to contact school.

 

 

SV

12.3

Field at the back of Manor Farm – Clerk has contacted the Nielsens to ask if they would be interested in selling an area of the field. Ongoing.

 

 

SV

13.0

Planning

 

13.1

Latest status of existing applications/decisions:-

·      App. 2011/2061; Fox Hollow front porch – Appeal dismissed and consent refused.

·      App. 2011/3232 & 3235; Halecombe Quarry – no decision.

·      App. 2012/0930; Rec Field, Leigh on Mendip – Granted.

·      App. 2012/1017; Grove Shute Farm, Variation of Condition – Granted.

·      App. 2012/0514; Whitehole Farm, Variation of Condition – Granted.

·      App. 2012/1938; Hollybush Cottage, construction of Menage – Granted.

 

 

13.2

VH advised that the application by N Morley for Pharmacy in Coleford had been rejected.

 

 

 

VH leaves the meeting.

 

 

14.0

Councillors’ Reports

 

 

14.1

PCSO – Nothing to report.

 

 

14.2

Footpaths – IB has contacted Clare Haskins to query the situation regarding grants. Update at October meeting.

 

 

IB

14.3

Highways – CC attended the meeting at Highways, which was very informative, and reported on the various items discussed.

 

 

14.3.1

IB mentioned speeding cars in Leigh street. These should be reported to PCSO, Ben Green.

 

 

14.4

Rec Field – AD updated on recent activity.

Planning for skate park has been granted, will start pushing for fund raising.

 

 

14.5

Memorial Hall – BW updated on recent activity.

·      Extra entrance into Bellfield being made through the gate.

·      Looking at increasing charges for hire of the Hall.

·      Will start work on the wall on the perimeter of the car park in October.

 

 

14.6

School – Nothing further to report. The school had finished the redecoration of the entrance and cloak area in the main building during the summer.

 

 

14.7

Quarry – Next meeting in October, date tbc.

 

 

14.8

SALC – Next Area Meeting in December, date tbc.

 

 

15.0

Meeting attended/to be attended

 

15.1

Meeting attended:-

·      Mendip rural Forum (July) – Slides are on the website.

·      Code of Conduct Training – BW and SV attended.

 

 

15.2

Meetings to be attended:-

·      PCSO Meeting – 15th November. 

 

 

AD

16.0

Correspondence

 

16.1

 

No correspondence was tabled.

 

17.0

Date & time of next meeting

 

17.1

The next Parish Council meeting will be held on 15th October 2012, at 7.30pm at the Memorial Hall, Committee room.