DRAFT  MINUTES

 

LEIGH ON MENDIP PARISH COUNCIL MEETING

held on 15th October  2012

 at 7.30pm in the Memorial Hall

 

 

Councillors Present: C Cudmore – Chairman (CC), I Barnes (IB), A Dagger (AD) and B Wigmore (BW).

In attendance: S Vaillant (SV; Clerk) and four parishioners.

 

 

 

Action

1.0

Apologies

 

1.1

No apologies were received.

 

 

1.2

Val Horler, District Councillor, and Gloria Cawood, County Councillor, also advised they would not be able to attend.

 

 

1.3

Chair advised the order of the meeting would be altered to accommodate parishioners in attendance. Item 5.0 Grass Cutting at the Recreation Field was discussed at the beginning of the meeting and three parishioners left.

 

 

2.0

Declarations of Interest

 

2.1

No interest was declared.

 

 

3.0

Minutes of the meetings held on 17.09.12 and matters arising (where not dealt with later)

 

3.1

The minutes of the meeting were agreed as true and accurate record of the meeting held, with the following amendments:-

·      Item 13.2 ‘The application from Mr Morley’ to be added for clarity.  

 

 

3.2

(3.3) Bramble along Church Walk – SV explained that MDC would not take on the strimming of Church Walk as it was a Right of Way. IB stated it was in good condition at the moment and offered to maintain in future (next season). Action complete.

 

 

3.3

(3.4) Visibility of lettering on Village Stones – J Body suggested painting the letters black once one or two stones are dry to see if it improves visibility, particularly at night.

 

 

 

IB offered to strim the vegetation around the stone near Broad Bean Farm Shop.

 Rose Martin & Tim offered to look after the stone at Townsend. BW to speak to them to gratefully accept their offer.

 

IB

 

BW

3.4

(4.2) Consultation on Reduced Street Lighting – Following chair’s query, SCC advised that the design for Phase 1 had been completed and that consultation would need to be undertaken by Parish Councils. However, meetings are to be held within SCC to decide how to proceed. Ongoing.

 

 

3.5

(4.3) Finger post at the junction on top of Soho Cottages – Finger to indicate direction to Coleford has been requested. Clerk to chase up.

 

SV

 

3.6

(5.2) Declarations of Interests – All forms were returned to the Monitoring Officer within 28 days. Action complete.

 

 

 

3.7

(6.2) Delegation of business to clerk in case of non-quorum to be investigated – ongoing.

SV

 

3.8

(8.2) Village Neighbourhood Watch sign – Chair is in possession of the sign, which will be displayed on a post at Townsend once the refurbishment exercise by SCC has been completed.

 

 

CC

3.9

(9.1) Recruitment of Councillors – ‘Your Village Needs Your Help’ poster has been printed and displayed in strategic locations. It was agreed to also undertake a leaflet drop, using the same slogan and design, to further encourage volunteers with a message to be added to the back of the leaflet to explain why councillors are needed and the importance of having a parish council. Chair to draft and to organise distribution.

 

Chair also offered to draft an article to be published in the village magazine

 

 

 

 

 

CC

3.10

Council was advised that Brenda Wigmore had presented her resignation from the parish council and this will be her last meeting. Chair thanked Brenda for her service, especially her work on the Village Name Stones project. BW agreed to carry on reporting on the School and Memorial Hall activities until further councillors join the council and can take on these roles.

 

 

3.11

(10.1) Purchase of additional dog waste bin – Additional bin has been purchased from Glasdon. Clerk to contact AD for installation once received.

 

 

SV/AD

 

3.12

(14.2) Footpaths Grant – No reply has been received from Claire Haskins. IB to chase.

 

IB

4.0

District & County Councillors Reports

 

4.1

Clerk to ask GC for update on items to be followed up from last month (verge cutting and weed killing), although it was noted that a statement from Highways had been received, setting out specification.

 

 

 

SV

4.2

Clerk to email GC to express interest in a shared lengthman contract with Stratton, to mainly undertake weed killing.

 

 

SV

4.3

County Councillor report emailed prior to the meeting was noted.

·      Health & Wellbeing Grant – information to be circulated to the Recreation Field (for the BMX track) and Village Hall committees.

 

 

SV

5.0

Grass Cutting at the Recreation Field  

 

5.1

Vicki Taylor, Chair of Governors, and Vicky Higgins, Recreation Field Committee Chairman, attended the meeting. VT explained that the grass cutting had historically been paid by the school but recent reductions in school budget will make it very difficult for the school to carry on, especially as it is only used once a year on sports day. The school proposed to pay only for 8 cuts per year (8 x £37/cut = £296). The rest of the cuts would be the responsibility of the Recreation Field.

 

 

5.2

VH  explained that the cricket club had a mower and would continue cutting the outfield for their matches, but this did not include the wider areas of the recreation field nor did they maintain it during the months of April, September and October (outside the playing season). VT therefore asked if the PC would consider increasing the precept to take on the mowing contract.

 

 

5.3

It was agreed that the Parish Council would take on the contract for mowing the Recreation Field, in addition to the mowing at the cemetery, from next year. VH to email a specification to SV and offered to meet any potential contractor for visits of the site.

 

 

 

VH

6.0

Finance

 

6.1

Financial Statement – Financial Statement to 14th October 2012 was agreed and signed. Clerk to correct entry No 22 as cheque was paid from the cemetery account.  

 

 

SV

6.2

Upon review of the financial statement, IB proposed (BW seconded, all agreed) to transfer £1,000 from the current account to the cemetery account. Cheque #689 was signed.

 

 

6.3

Following the resignation of BW from the parish council, BW proposed (IB seconded, all agreed) to add AD as a signatory to all the Parish Council accounts (Parish Council, Cemetery, NS&I savings account). The relevant forms were signed.

SV and AD to organise a visit to NatWest to finalise paperwork.

 

 

 

 

SV/AD

6.4

Clerk’s Salary & Expenses – Clerk’s invoice dated 15th October 2012 was agreed. Cheque #690 was signed.

 

 

 


 

7.0

Cemetery  

 

7.1

Payment of invoice for Grass Cutting – Invoice No 27 was agreed. Cheque #117 was signed.

 

 

7.2

New cemetery; Offer of school pond area adjacent to churchyard – SV to organise for IB and AD (CC if available) to visit on a Wednesday afternoon when convenient with the school.

 

 

 

SV

7.3

Field at the back of Manor Farm – Clerk advised that the Nielsens were not interested in selling a piece of land at the back of Manor Farm at this time.

 

 

8.0

Planning

 

8.1

Latest status of existing applications/decisions:-

·      App. 2011/3232; Halecombe Quarry (variation of conditions) – no decision.

 

 

9.0

Councillors’ Reports

 

9.1

Highways – Chair updated the council on all outstanding items. Clerk advised of road closure on 5th November on road between Green Shutters and Soho (3 days).

 

 

9.2

Rec Field – AD reported on change of idea for the Skate Park, to be replaced with a pump track, which would be cheaper and quicker to install. Meeting has been organised with the contractors who did the park in Frome to get a better idea and to ensure it is a viable proposition before the young people are involved. Chair reiterated that £500 is earmarked in the budget for support to the development at the Rec Field.

 

 

9.2.1

Clerk to ask planners if planning permission would be needed to build a pump track and to move the garage (realign or straighten it up).

 

 

SV

9.3

Memorial Hall – The committee has obtained authorisation from the neighbouring land owner for the builders to have access the land to carry out the repair to the boundary wall. Repairs will cost £1,350 to be funded by the committee. BW to mention available grant from the parish budget.

 

 

9.3.1

Inspection to be undertaken on the roof due to a reported leak.

AGM on 5th November, 8.30pm.

 

 

9.4

Quarry – Next meeting 18th October, 10am. CC to attend.

Donations for next year’s fete to be mentioned at the next liaison meeting (hire of toilets, tent, etc….) together with materials for a possible pump track.

 

 

9.4.1

Long term management fund – S106 Agreement has now been circulated for feedback.

CC asked for clarification on how the monies will be held and spent.

 

 

9.5

SALC – Next East Area Meeting in December, date tbc. Nothing to report.

 

 

9.6

PCSO/Footpaths/School – Nothing further to report.

 

 

10.0

Meeting attended/to be attended

 

10.1

Meetings to be attended:-

·      Quarry Liaison Meeting 18th October, 10am – CC to attend

·      Parish Forum, 29th October - CC to attend

·      Local Choices Events, 8th November - CC to attend

·      PCSO Liaison Meeting; 15th November – AD to attend

·      Members Development Session/Chairing Skills, 29th November – CC and SV to attend

 

 

CC

CC

CC

AD

CC/SV

11.0

Date & time of next meeting

 

11.1

The next Parish Council meeting will be held on 19th November 2012, at 7.30pm at the Memorial Hall, Committee room.