DRAFT  MINUTES

 

LEIGH ON MENDIP PARISH COUNCIL MEETING

held on 18th March 2013

 at 7.30pm in the Memorial Hall

 

 

Councillors Present: C Cudmore – Chairman (CC), I Barnes (IB), G Boden (GB), A Dagger (AD), D Mattick (DM) and D Sparkes (DS)

In attendance: S Vaillant (SV; Clerk), V Horler and P Ham (District Councillors) and G Cawood (County Councillor)

 

 

 

Action

1.0

Apologies

 

1.1

No apologies were received and the full council was in attendance.

 

 

2.0

Declarations of Interest & Dispensations

 

2.1

No interest was declared and no dispensation was requested.  

 

 

3.0

Minutes of meeting held on 18.02.13 and matters arising (where not dealt with later)

 

3.1

The minutes of the meeting were agreed as true and accurate record of the meeting held.

 

 

3.2

(3.2) Change to the number of signatures required – Ongoing.

 

SV

4.0

District & County Councillors Reports

 

4.1

G. Cawood’s report emailed before the meeting was noted. GC further reported on the Enablement and Health & Well Being funding opportunities. 

 

 

4.2

GC also advised that she would not be standing at the next county elections in order to reduce her workload. The chair thanked GC for all the work she had done on behalf of the parish as County Councillor.

 

 

4.2

P. Ham (District Councillor) reported as follows:-

·      New MDC website to go live mid-April;

·      PH advised that he would be standing for County elections in May.

 

4.3

V. Horler (District Councillor) had nothing further to report on.

 

 

5.0

Review of Annual Parish Newsletter

 

5.1

Councillors to review articles pertaining to their area of responsibility and to think of what could be added in terms of articles, format, etc. Comments to be forwarded to CC by 8th April.

 

 

 

ALL

6.0

Grass  Cutting Contract (Recreation Field)

 

6.1

Five quotations had been received and were assessed. Agreed to accept quotation from Shepton Mallet Landscapes. IB proposed, DS seconded, all agreed. Clerk to issue contract papers.

 

 

 

SV

7.0

Planning

 

7.1

Latest status of existing applications/decisions:-

·      App. 2011/3232; Halecombe Quarry (variation of conditions) – no decision.

·      App. 2011/2109 & 2110; Rookery Farmhouse – no decision.

·      App. 2012/2354; Land South of Old Wells Rd; Bristol Water – no decision.

·      App. 2012/2982; Land at Soho Farm; Installation of Solar PV array – no decision;
PH advised that he had met with the planners and developer on site and asked the PC to think about the kind of ‘compensation’ we would like, following our response to the consultation exercise. Item to be discussed at the next meeting.

 

 

7.2

Planning Application 2013/0454; Myrtle Cottage, Leigh St; (Lawful Development Certificate) Two roof windows to the rear (S) roof pitch of a newly built extension – It was unanimously agreed to recommend approval. No objections were received from neighbours or parishioners. Clerk to query why neighbours were not consulted by MDC.

 

 

 

 

SV

 

7.3

Pre-Application Consultation; Grove Shute Farm redevelopment – Some of the councillors and parishioners attended a public meeting on site and a follow up email was received from Nick Hiscox advising that following pre-application consultation and responses received from a questionnaire, most respondents preferred the option of building 5 live/work units on the site. The PC had no further comment at present and look forward to receiving detailed plans when available. One concern pertained to the condition of the lane which is in very poor condition and which may need to be upgraded if usage increases due to additional development.

 

 

7.4

Pre-Application Consultation; Proposal to install wind turbines at Torr Works – It is believed that only parishioners living at higher altitude near the Old Wells Road would be able to see the turbine. No comment.

 

 

8.0

Finance

 

8.1

Financial Statement – Financial Statement to 17th March 2013 was agreed and signed.

 

 

8.2

Internal Audit – Clerk advised that Keith Cockcroft was happy to carry out the internal audit. Unanimously agreed for KC to undertake based on quote obtained. Clerk to organise.

 

 

SV

8.3

Assets & Risk Assessment – D Mattick agreed to undertake the Risk Assessment with SV. SV to email to organise a meeting.

 

 

SV

8.4

The following invoices/payments were agreed and cheques signed:-

                                                                                                                                 £

701     S Vaillant; Clerk’s Salary & Expenses                                                          169.06

702     Futurform; Stationery                                                                                  33.38

703     SALC Affiliation Fee                                                                                   125.21

                                                                                                                                  

 

9.0

Cemetery

 

9.1

Clerk’s salary for 2012/13 was agreed and cheques signed:-

119     S Vaillant                                                                                                  £99.41

 

 

10.0

Councillors’ Reports

 

10.1

Highways – CC reported on recent activity.

A parishioner living on Blacker’s Lane had requested a grit bin as the lane was not passable during the recent snowy/icy spell. In future, it was agreed to deliver a couple of grit bags to the parishioner to use in the area.

 

 

10.2

Rec Field – IB updated on the Pump track project, for which plans are awaited.

Race Night on Saturday 20th April.

 

 

10.3

PCSO – AD reported on meeting attended on 28th February. Clerk to drop an email to PCSO Dean Saunders to remind him to send his monthly report to the parish council.  

 

 

SV

10.4

It was suggested at the meeting that parishes write to the new Police Commissioner to request more PCSOs on the beat as we are down to two for a fairly large area around Frome. AD agreed to draft the letter and forward to SV for issue.

 

 

 

AD/SV

10.5

Footpaths – It was agreed to leave some Leigh on Mendip Walk leaflets (donated by Frome Town Council) in the pub, the village shop, the BT kiosk and to be distributed with Village Welcome Packs.

 

 

SV

10.6

Installation of kissing gate on Rick Massey’s property. IB to write a letter to obtain authorisation for the Ramblers Association to do the works.

 

IB

 

10.7

Memorial Hall – DM updated on recent activities and thanked the Council for the recent grant.

Quiz Night on Saturday 23rd March; and asked if the PC would have a team.

Music night coming up in May. Date tbc.

 

 

 

10.8

School – Clerk to let the school know that GB had agreed to take on the role of representative.

 

 

SV

10.9

Quarry – DS would like a printed copy of the Section 106 Agreement for future reference.

 

SV

10.10

Support for the fair - DS agreed to raise the issue at the next Quarry Liaison Meeting on 21st March.

 

 

DS

10.11

A particularly large blast was reported from parishioners on Thursday 14th March. DS agreed to query at the meeting.

 

 

DS

10.12

New Cemetery – Land for auction opposite Pitten House. IB agreed to find out who the buyer is with a view to approaching him/her to buy a parcel of land if suitable.

 

 

IB

 

10.13

SALC – DM and GB to attend New Councillor training sessions. Clerk to organise.

 

SV

11.0

Meeting attended/to be attended

 

11.1

Meetings attended:-

·      PCSO Liaison Meeting; 28th February 2013 - AD

·      Torr Works meeting; 7th March 2013

·      Grove Shute Farm Site Meeting; 2nd March 2013 – CC

 

 

11.2

Meetings to be attended:-

·      SALC new councillor training; date tbc

·      Quarry Liaison Meeting; 21st March 2013 – DS to attend.

 

 

12

Correspondence

 

12.1

None.

 

 

13

Date & time of next meeting

 

13.1

The next Parish Council meeting will be held on 15th April 2013, at 7.30pm at the Memorial Hall, Committee room.