DRAFT  MINUTES

 

LEIGH ON MENDIP PARISH COUNCIL MEETING

held on 15th April 2013

 at 7.30pm in the Memorial Hall

 

 

Councillors Present: C Cudmore – Chairman (CC), I Barnes (IB), G Boden (GB), D Mattick (DM) and
D Sparkes (DS)

In attendance: S Vaillant (SV; Clerk), V Horler and P Ham (District Councillors; in part) and 2 parishioners.

 

 

 

Action

1.0

Apologies

 

1.1

Apologies were received from A Dagger (AD).

GC advised they would not be able to attend.

 

 

1.2

Chair advised that the order of the agenda would be altered to accommodate the members of the public present.

 

 

2.0

Declarations of Interest & Dispensations

 

2.1

No interest was declared and no dispensation was requested.  

 

 

3.0

Minutes of meeting held on 18.03.13 and matters arising (where not dealt with later)

 

3.1

The minutes of the meeting were agreed as true and accurate record of the meeting held.

 

 

3.2

(3.2) Change to the number of signatures required – The forms have been returned to the bank. Action complete.

 

 

3.3

(6.1) Grass cutting contracts – Both grass cutting contracts have been issued.

 

 

3.4

(7.2) Application 2013/0454 – MDC has not responded to the Clerk’s query, but it is believed that neighbours were not consulted as the consultation is for a ‘Lawful Development Certificate’. Action complete. 

 

 

3.5

(8.2 & 8.3) Internal Audit and Assets & Risk Assessment – Ongoing.

 

SV

3.6

(10.4) Letter to New Police Commissioner – AD to write letter. Ongoing.

 

AD

3.7

(10.5) Leigh on Mendip Walk leaflets – Clerk to leave at agreed locations. Ongoing.

 

SV

3.8

(10.9) Halecombe Quarry S106 – A hard copy of the agreement was printed and posted to DS. Action complete.

 

 

4.0

District & County Councillors Reports

 

4.1

G. Cawood’s report emailed before the meeting was noted.

 

 

4.2

P. Ham (District Councillor) advised that things quiet at County due to elections. It was confirmed that the grants attached to the precepts had not been paid by MDC at the same time as the precepts.

 

 

4.2

V. Horler (District Councillor) had nothing further to report.

 

 

5.0

Annual Parish Newsletter

 

5.1

The final draft was agreed. Clerk to organise printing with the school and distribute to councillors.

 

SV

5.2

CC agreed to email the distribution schedule to all councillors. 

 

CC


 

6.0

Homefinder Somerset Allocation Policy Consultation

 

6.1

Chair invited comments. GB, who understands the subject as it relates to her work, confirmed that she had read the documentation but could not find anything relevant to the village. It was agreed not to comment.

 

 

7.0

Pursuance of Land for Cemetery Extension

 

7.1

Parish Council to approach the new owner of the land off Pitten street once the purchase and the name of the land owner has been made official.

 

 

7.2

DS suggested field opposite Broad Bean Farm - Hobbs is the owner, Tarmac may have an address:-

·       Clerk to ask Tarmac for the address of the land owner (if they have it).

·        Write to the land owner to query whether they would consider donating or selling some land for the parish council to use as a cemetery.

 

 

 

Clerk

 

Clerk

7.3

Cemetery fees – Clerk advised that the Cemetery fees had not been reviewed for a few years. To be reviewed in June.

 

 

Clerk

8.0

Planning

 

8.1

Latest status of existing applications/decisions:-

·      App. 2011/3232; Halecombe Quarry (variation of conditions) – no decision.

·      App. 2011/2109 & 2110; Rookery Farmhouse – no decision.

·      App. 2012/2354; Land South of Old Wells Rd; Bristol Water – no decision.

·      App. 2012/2982; Land at Soho Farm; Installation of Solar PV array – no decision;

·      App. 2013/0454; Myrtle Cottage, Leigh St; (Lawful Development Certificate) Two roof windows to the rear (S) roof pitch of a newly built extension – development is lawful

 

 

8.2

App. 2012/2982; Land at Soho Farm; Installation of Solar PV array; Further discussion on the nature and level of compensation – PH said that the developer stated he would like to give the PC some money (either annual or lump sum):-

·      DM referred to the levy put on limestone and that the same could be applied.
DM agreed to put a paper together with arguments.

·      IB gave the idea of a one-off compensation by asking for some land for a cemetery: the SE corner of the field is not being used.

·      Idea of free solar panels to be donated to the village (maybe for the village hall). PH recommended speaking to Sally Gubb at MDC. DM agreed to do that.

 

 

 

 

 

DM

 

 

 

DM

8.3

Pre-Application Consultation; Proposal to open a cafe at Broad Bean Farm Shop – J Hudson explained and tabled her proposition to open a café, following demand from the public. The following was discussed:-

·      Worries over additional traffic – Although a new car parking area would be created on site for a maximum of 14 cars, no additional traffic is anticipated as the cafe would be used by the people who already visit the shop.

·      Competition with the pub – The PC had reservations over the opening of a shop if it was in direct competition with the pub (i.e. serving of food in the evening).

 Notwithstanding the above, it was confirmed that the PC would be in support of the idea.

 

 

9.0

Finance

 

9.1

Financial Statement – Financial Statement to 31st March 2013 was agreed and signed.

 

 

9.2

End of Year Accounts / Annual Return – To be discussed next month.

 

 

9.4

The following invoices/payments were agreed and cheques signed:-

                                                                                                                                 £

704     S Vaillant; Clerk’s Salary & Expenses                                                          169.06

705     LoM Memorial Hall Committee (hire of hall for 11 parish meetings)                121.00           

 


 

10.0

Councillors’ Reports

 

10.1

Highways – CC reported on recent activity.

·      Quite a bit of road repair had taken place;

·      Finger posts refurbishment is now almost complete;

·      The remaining village stone has been painted;

·      Delivery of leaflets for the road sweeping. GB agreed to take on the distribution for the next sweeping.

·      It was noted that a bit of the wall had fallen down on the Pavement to Barnsclose quarry - Clerk to write to J Hudson to ensure the wall is repaired for H&S reasons.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Clerk

10.2

Rec Field – AD not present.

Race Night; Saturday 20th April.

 

 

10.3

PCSO – Email report circulated by D. Saunders prior to the meeting was noted.  

 

 

10.4

Open Forum Meeting with the Police Commissioner at the Cheese & Grain on 16th April – DM volunteered to attend.

 

 

10.5

Footpaths – Installation of new gates - C. Haskins and IB to write to Rick Massey.

IB agreed to do strim overgrowth on Church Walk.

 

IB

IB

 

10.6

Memorial Hall – The following was reported (next meeting 7th May):-

·       Successful Quiz Night on Saturday 23rd March; profit of £174.

·       Musical evening 17th May.

 

 

10.7

School – Nothing to report.

 

 

10.8

Quarry – DS discussed the large blast which was mentioned at the last meeting; the quarry produced a graph of seismic activity which showed that the blast on the reported date was not bigger than usual. It was noted that weather conditions can sometimes affect how the blasts are felt in the local community.

 

 

10.9

DS further reported on points discussed during the quarry liaison meeting:-

·      Frustration over progress made by SCC regarding planning applications;

·      Funding for the village fair; Vaughn to write to Tarmac Lafarge head office;

·      Aggregates Levy Fund; monies paid for the last 10 years have been kept in an account held by Tarmac but not earning any interest. It was suggested to open a joint account – to be discussed further at June meeting.

·      DS agreed to draft a letter to the Chief Executive and Chairman of SCC (copy to PH).

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

DS

10.10

SALC – GB and DM to attend councillor training. Preferred dates to be confirmed to clerk.

 

 

11.0

Meeting attended/to be attended

 

11.1

Meetings attended:-

·      Quarry Liaison Meeting; 21st March 2013 – DS reported.

 

11.2

Meetings to be attended:-

·      Police Public forum, 16th April  - DM to go.

·      Village Agent; 17th April – GB to go.

·      SALC new councillor training; Clerk to book.

·      Mendip Rural Forum; 29th April – DM interested in attending.

 

 

DM

GB

GB/DM

DM

12

Correspondence

 

12.1

A couple of magazines were tabled for circulation.

 

 

13

Date & time of next meeting

 

13.1

The next Annual Parish Council meeting will be held on 20th May 2013, at 7.30pm at the Memorial Hall. Clerk to organise refreshments.

Clerk to invite Sue Vaughan and Vicky Higgins to present Committee reports. 

 

 

Clerk