DRAFT MINUTES

LEIGH-ON-MENDIP PARISH COUNCIL MEETING

 HELD ON MONDAY 17 JUNE 2013 AT 7.30 P.M. IN THE MEMORIAL HALL

 

Present

Chris Cudmore

CC

 

 

Ian Barnes

IB

 

 

Gill Boden

GB

 

 

Alan Dagger

AD

 

 

 

 

 

In attendance

Anthea Brooks

AB (Clerk)

 

 

Val Horler, District Councillor (part)

VH

 

 

 

 

 

Apologies

David Sparkes

DS

 

 

David Mattick

DM

 

 

Phil Ham, County & District Councillor

PH

 

 

 

 

 

1

WELCOME

ACTION

 

 

 

1.1

The Chair and members of the Council welcomed the new Clerk, Mrs Anthea Brooks.  It was noted that the village magazine and website have been updated.

 

 

 

 

1.2

AB was informed that the previous clerk had an email list of people in the village who received the Council newsletter.  AB to obtain the list from Sandrine Vaillant (SV).

Clerk

 

 

 

2

DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST AND DISPENSATIONS

 

 

 

 

2.1

No interest was declared and no dispensation was requested.

 

 

 

 

3

MINUTES OF THE MEETING HELD ON 15 APRIL 2013

 

 

 

 

3.1

The minutes of the meeting held on 15 April 2013 were agreed as a true and accurate record and signed by the Chairman.

 

 

 

 

4

MATTERS ARISING FROM THE MINUTES OF 15 APRIL 2013

 

 

 

 

4.1

Item 3.5 – Internal Audit and Risk Assessment – it was noted that DM is working on this.  The risk assessment is ongoing but the asset review/audit is complete with minor points for Clerk action (email from DM of 24 May 2013 refers)

DM

 

Clerk

 

 

 

4.2

Item 3.6 – Letter to new Police Commissioner – AD to write letter - ongoing

AD

 

 

 

4.3

Item 3.7 – Leigh-on-Mendip Walk Leaflets – it was agreed that AB would deliver enough leaflets to GB to take to the Tourist Offices in Shepton Mallet and Wells.  AB would deliver to Frome Library and also make sure that a supply is distributed to relevant points in the village.

Clerk

GB

 

 

 

4.4

Item 5.1 – Parish Newsletter – complete

 

 

 

 

4.5

Item 7.2 – Pursuance of land for Cemetery extension

 

 

 

 

4.5.1

Two actions for Clerk from previous meeting

 

·               To approach Tarmac for address of owner of land opposite Broad Bean Farm Shop (if they have it).

·               To write to the land owner to query whether they would consider donating or selling some land to the Parish Council for use as a cemetery.

 

 

 

 

4.5.2

AB agreed to contact SV to ascertain the outcome of these actions

Clerk

 

 

 

4.6

Item 7.3 Cemetery fees – to be discussed at the next meeting

July agenda

 

 

 

4.7

Item 8.2 Land at Soho Farm – installation of Solar PV array

 

 

 

 

4.7.1

Actions from previous meeting

 

·               DM to put together a paper regarding a similar levy to that applied to limestone

·               DM agreed to speak to Sally Gubb at MDC regarding the possibility of free solar panels to be donated to the village.

 

 

 

 

4.7.2

Both items – ongoing. (See also 7.1 below.)

DM

 

 

 

4.8

Item 10.1 – wall on pavement to Barnsclose Quarry – the clerk was asked to write to Jo Hudson at Broad Bean Farm regarding a piece of wall which had collapsed onto the pavement to Barnsclose Quarry.  AB to contact SV regarding this.

Clerk

 

 

 

4.9

Item 10.5 – footpaths – installation of new gates/strimming of overgrowth on Church Walk – IB reported that he had contacted Rick Massey and Clare Haskins and the gates are to be installed and this action was complete.  With reference to the strimming this had also been carried out

 

 

 

 

4.10

Item 10.9 – Quarry Liaison meeting – draft letter to SCC – DS had drafted a letter which would be discussed later in the agenda

 

 

 

 

4.11

Item 11.2 – Meetings attended/to be attended

 

 

 

 

 

·               DM attended the Police Public Forum on 16 April

·               AD attended the Village Agent meeting on 17 April and the Village Agent will be attending the next Parish Council meeting on 15 July

·               SALC new councillor training – DM and GB attended

·               Mendip Rural Forum – Not attended.

 

 

July agenda

 

 

 

 

4.12

Item 13.1 – both Sue Vaughan and Vicky Higgins were invited to attend the Annual Parish Meeting

 

 

 

 

5

MATTERS ARISING FROM THE ANNUAL PARISH COUNCIL MEETING HELD ON 20 MAY 2013

 

 

 

 

5.1

Although the minutes of the Annual Parish Council Meeting would not be agreed until the next meeting in 2014 the following actions were noted.

 

 

 

 

5.2

Item 6.1 – Financial Statement – an error had occurred at the bank on the amount of a cheque which CC had dealt with and a letter has been received from the bank to confirm this.

 

 

 

 

5.3

Item 6.1 – Budget figures to be updated on the spreadsheet – this was an action for the Clerk and AB will check that this has been done

Clerk

 

 

 

5.4

Item 6.4 – Risk Assessment – the risk assessment is being carried out by DM and is ongoing.  AB to contact DM to ascertain progress.

Clerk/DM

 

 

 

5.5

Item 7.1 – Cemetery grass cutting – the clerk had been asked to confirm that the invoice presented was for 8 cuts.  This still needs clarification by AB before the cheque can be sent.

Clerk

 

 

 

5.5.1

Under this item it was noted that the Clerk had received a complaint about flowers on two graves being destroyed during the recent grass cutting.  It was agreed that the Clerk should write to Steve Pitt to ask him to be sensitive to any flower displays when cutting the grass.  The Clerk would also write to the complainant to apologise for the distress caused.

Clerk

 

 

 

5.6

Item 8.1 – Land at Soho Farm – installation of Solar PV array – it was noted that although the planning had been approved the Section 106 had NOT been signed off as indicated in the minutes and this will need to be corrected at the Annual Parish Council meeting in 2014.

Clerk

 

 

 

5.7

Item 8.3 – Pre Application Consultation – Single Wind Turbine at Rockhouse Farm, Chantry – letter to be sent listing the Council’s concerns on six points.  The action is with CC.

CC

 

 

 

5.8

Item 9.2 – Land for cemetery – IB reported that he had contacted the land owners regarding the recently sold land adjacent to Pitten St but had heard nothing back.  It was noted that a further piece of land is now for sale between Pitten Street and Barnsclose Quarry and it was agreed to contact the owner.

IB

 

 

 

CC

 

 

 

 

 

 

6

ACTIONS ARISING FROM THE ANNUAL PARISH MEETING HELD ON 20 MAY 2013

 

 

 

 

6.1

Item 2.1 – Dog Fouling – the Clerk was to write to the new MDC Dog Warden – AB to check with SV.

Clerk

 

 

 

6.1.1

A discussion took place about dog fouling in other areas particularly in the field which is used by the Village Fete for car parking and is owned by Jorgen Nielson but rented to Steve Britten.  This field has a footpath running through it but walkers tend to let their dogs run free.

 

 

 

 

6.1.2

Action: It was agreed that IB would speak to Clare Haskins regarding installation of a footpath sign.

IB

 

 

 

6.1.3

IB reported that there had been a complaint about a new entrance which had been made in the field beyond the field mentioned above to form an exit into Stocks Lane for larger farm vehicles.

 

 

 

 

6.1.4

Action – it was agreed that IB would find out the contact at MDC and then draft some words which can be agreed at the next meeting.  IB will also email Mr Nielsen’s secretary to obtain the relevant correspondence and will pass this onto VH.

IB

 

 

 

6.2

Item 4.1 – Highways – CC reported that he had contacted Highways and the temporary signs had been removed.

 

 

 

 

6.3

Item 4.2 – Badger Hole junction of Pitten Street and Stocks Lane – CC reported that a temporary cover had been placed on this hole whilst permissions are granted for a permanent repair.

 

 

 

 

6.4

Item 4.5 – Missing stile at Bellfield – IB reported that no further action was required.

 

 

 

 

6.5

Item 4.7 – Churchyard – CC reported that he had arranged a site visit with the Tree Officer from MDC to discuss the yew tree in the churchyard which is leaning over the roof of an adjacent shed and also the trip hazard of the roots on the front path.

CC

 

 

 

7

DISTRICT AND COUNTY COUNCILLORS REPORTS

 

 

 

 

7.1

VH stated that further information regarding the solar panel planning application at Soho Farm would be passed to CC and the Clerk when she had that available.

VH

 

 

 

7.2

VH reported on a rave which had taken place at Cookswood Quarry but was originally thought to be taking place at Halecombe.

 

 

 

 

7.3

VH reported that she and PH had £2,000 each to spend in the community.  It was agreed that action should be for all to consider a suitable legacy for the village and to discuss further at the July meeting.

ALL

July agenda

 

 

 

7.4

VH reported that the fly tipping representative at MDC has left.  The new MDC contact number for reporting fly tipping is 0300 303 8588.

 

 

 

 

8

QUARRY LONG TERM MANAGEMENT FUND

 

 

 

 

8.1

The draft letter which DS had put together was considered and it was agreed to send this out to the Chief Executive and the Leader of SCC.

CC

 

 

 

9

PLANNING

 

 

 

 

9.1

Latest Status of Recent Applications

 

 

 

 

9.1.1

Savernake Cottage – approved with normal caveats.

 

 

 

 

9.1.2

Solar Array at Soho Farm – VH is awaiting contact and then will inform the Council.  It was thought that it would be appropriate to invite the applicants to a meeting.

VH

 

 

 

9.1.3

Proposal to open a café at Broad Bean Farm Shop – no application received yet.

 

 

 

 

9.2

Planning Application 2013/0964 – Hollybush Cottage, Knapp Hill – construction of four holiday cabins

 

 

 

 

9.2.1

This application was discussed.  It was agreed to recommend rejection, proposed by IB and seconded by AD for the following reasons

 

·               The visual impact on properties on the south side of Leigh Street
·               The proposed development is outside the village development limit
·               The proposal does not conform to the village design statement
·               The access to the site from a narrow lane is poor, being steep and on a bend

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

9.2.2

The Clerk was asked to write to MDC informing them of the Councils decision.

Clerk

 

 

 

9.3

Planning Application 2013/1060 – Proposed extension to east elevation (two storey) at Knapp Hill Farm, Knapp Hill, Leigh-on-Mendip

 

 

 

 

9.3.1

This application was discussed.  It was agreed to recommend approval, proposed by AD and seconded by GB.  It was felt that the application was in keeping with the village design statement and had no impact on the neighbouring property.

 

 

 

 

9.3.2

The Clerk was asked to write to MDC informing them of the Councils decision

Clerk

 

 

 

10

FINANCE

 

 

 

 

10.1

Financial Statement – due to the handover from one Clerk to another it was agreed that the financial statement would be signed off at the next meeting.

Clerk

 

 

 

10.2

Annual Return – completion of Annual Governance Statement – the annual return was approved and the Annual Governance Statement completed and signed.  The Clerk would send this off.

Clerk

 

 

 

10.3

Report from internal auditor – a report had been received from the internal auditor stating that the books were in order apart from three points which had all been dealt with by the Clerk.  The auditor had tendered his resignation and the Clerk agreed to check the rules and regulations for appointment of a new auditor.

Clerk

 

 

 

10.4

Payment of Invoice for Clerk’s Salary – this was held over until the next meeting to allow the Clerk to contact SV for clarification.

Clerk

 

 

 

10.5

Payment of Invoice for K Cockroft (internal audit) – the invoice was agreed and cheque 710 issued in the amount of £42.30.  It was agreed that the Clerk should write to Mr Cockroft and thank him for his work.

Clerk

 

 

 

10.6

Purchase of Local Council Administration Handbook – the Council agreed that this book should be purchased for £60.  AB to contact SV.

Clerk

 

 

 

11

COUNCILLOR REPORTS

 

 

 

 

11.1

PCSO – nothing to report.  AD will email the minutes of the last meeting.  It was noted that there has been a complaint about bike racing around Park Hayes.

AD

 

 

 

11.2

Footpaths – IB reported that there was nothing further to add to the items already discussed

 

 

 

 

11.3

Highways – CC reported as follows

 

·               MDC had cleared out the grip in Pitten Street but this was only a temporary measure and a more permanent solution was required.

·               The latest information on the switching off of the street lights between midnight and 5.30 a.m. is that contractors will start this week in several villages and the work will be completed by the end of August.

·               Road sweeping will take place next week and CC will have leaflets to distribute.  GB agreed to help with the distribution.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

CC

GB

 

 

 

11.4

Recreation Field – AD reported that plans are being made for a pump track and the Chairman is applying for grants.  It was noted that the Parish Council have a grant of £1500 earmarked for this.

 

 

 

 

11.5

Memorial Hall – nothing to report

 

 

 

 

11.6

School – nothing to report

 

 

 

 

11.7

SALC – nothing to report

 

 

 

 

11.8

Quarry – nothing to report

 

 

 

 

12

MEETINGS ATTENDED/TO BE ATTENDED

 

 

 

 

12.1

The Clerk had details of the next SALC meeting which is scheduled to take place on Monday 15 July 2013 in Coleford.  GB agreed to attend and AB will let her have the papers.

Clerk

GB

 

 

 

12.2

Mendip Rural Forum – it was noted that the next meeting of the Mendip Rural Forum will be on 22 July 2013.

 

 

 

 

13

CORRESPONDENCE

 

 

 

 

13.1

The Clerk had received information on Girl’s Rounders Opportunities in Shepton Mallet on 6 July and agreed to place the poster in the telephone box.

Clerk

 

 

 

14

DATE AND TIME OF NEXT MEETING

 

 

 

 

14.1

Monday 15 July 2013 at 7.30 p.m. at the Memorial Hall