DRAFT MINUTES

LEIGH-ON-MENDIP PARISH COUNCIL MEETING

 HELD ON MONDAY 15 JULY 2013 AT 7.30 P.M. IN THE MEMORIAL HALL

 

Present

Chris Cudmore

CC

 

 

Gill Boden (part meeting)

GB

 

 

Alan Dagger

AD

 

 

David Mattick

DM

 

 

David Sparkes

DS

 

 

 

 

 

In attendance

Anthea Brooks

AB (Clerk)

 

 

Val Horler, District Councillor (part)

VH

 

 

Ann Marshall (Village Agent ) item 3

 

 

 

Nick Hiscox (item 4)

 

 

 

 

 

 

Apologies

Ian Barnes

IB

 

 

Phil Ham, County and District Councillor

PH

 

 

 

 

 

1

APOLOGIES

ACTION

 

 

 

1.1

Apologies were received from Ian Barnes and Phil Ham.  Gill Boden was attending the SALC meeting in Coleford on behalf of the Parish Council and would join the Parish Council meeting later.

 

 

 

 

2

DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST AND DISPENSATIONS

 

 

 

 

2.1

No interest was declared and no dispensation was requested

 

 

 

 

3

PRESENTATION BY THE VILLAGE AGENT

 

 

 

 

3.1

Ann Marshall, Village Agent for Coleford, Leigh-on-Mendip, Stoke St Michael, Stratton-on-the Fosse, Holcombe and Chilcompton was in attendance and gave a short presentation on the Village Agents scheme.  This was set up in response to the fact that many people living in rural communities have difficulty in accessing key services and support agencies that help maintain wellbeing and quality of life.

 

 

 

 

3.2

The village agent is able to offer advice on such things as social care, health issues, pensions and benefits, housing, transport and many other areas

 

 

 

 

3.3

Ann Marshall stated that she had carried out presentations to various Groups and Clubs in the area and her contact details were available in the Village Information Telephone box and on the Community Council for Somerset website by whom the Village Agents are employed.  It was noted that Village Agents are not allowed to ‘cold call’ but can respond to requests for help.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

3.4

On behalf of the Parish Council CC thanked Ann Marshall for her presentation and attendance at the meeting.  Ann Marshall then left the meeting.

 

 

 

 

4

GROVE SHUTE FARM

 

 

 

 

4.1

Nick Hiscox from Grove Shute Farm attended the meeting to update the Parish Council on progress with proposals for Grove Shute Farm.  Previously it had been intended to apply for permission to erect live/work properties but following various meetings and discussions with the Planning Officers at Mendip District Council the proposal is likely to be for straight residential development only.

 

 

 

 

4.2

CC thanked Nick Hiscox for attending the meeting and updating the Parish Council who look forward to receiving the formal planning proposal in due course.  Nick Hiscox left the meeting.

 

 

 

 

5

MINUTES OF THE MEETING HELD ON 17 JUNE 2013

 

 

 

 

5.1

The following amendments were made to the minutes of the meeting held on 17 June 2013

 

Item 6.1 – delete the word ‘new’

Item 7.4 – the MDC number 0300 303 8588 is the new contact number and is not just for reporting fly tipping

 

With these amendments the minutes were agreed as a true and accurate record and were signed by the Chairman.

 

 

 

 

6

MATTERS ARISING FROM THE MINUTES OF 17 JUNE 2013

 

 

 

 

6.1

Internal Audit and Risk Assessment – The risk assessment is ongoing but the asset review/audit is complete with minor points for action (email from DM of 24 May 2013 refers).  The Clerk will study the documents and this will be scheduled for discussion at the October meeting.

Clerk

 

 

 

6.2

Letter to new Police Commissioner – AD to write letter - ongoing

AD

 

 

 

6.3

Item 7.2 – Pursuance of land for Cemetery extension

 

 

 

 

6.3.1

The Clerk has written to Tarmac asking for the address of the owner of land opposite the Broad Bean Farm Shop.  Once this information is available the Clerk will write to the land owner to query whether they would consider donating or selling some land to the parish council for use as a cemetery.  Under this subject CC also stated that he had written to Rick Massey but had heard nothing back so far.

Clerk

 

 

 

 

 

6.4

Wall on pavement to Barnsclose Quarry – the clerk had written to Jo Hudson at Broad Bean Farm regarding a piece of wall which had collapsed onto the pavement to Barnsclose Quarry. 

Clerk

 

 

 

6.5

Budget figures to be updated on the spreadsheet – the correct budget figures were given by CC and  will be included on the spreadsheet

Clerk

 

 

 

6.6

Pre Application Consultation – Single Wind Turbine at Rockhouse Farm, Chantry – CC reported that he had emailed a response and had received a reply.

 

 

 

 

6.7

Dog Fouling – AD stated that Vicky Higgins would be talking to the Dog Warden about the Recreation Field and would ask her to include the adjacent field belonging to Jorgen Nielsen through which a footpath runs.

AD

 

 

 

6.8

Footpath sign -  IB was going to speak to Clare Haskins regarding the installation of a footpath sign in this field.  CC would check on this.

CC

 

 

 

6.9

New Exit into Stocks Lane – it was noted that the correspondence about this new gate had been obtained and is being looked at by MDC (Dave Woodbridge).  This matter will be the responsibility of Somerset County Council Highways Department to resolve.

 

 

 

 

6.10

Churchyard – CC reported that the site visit with the Tree Officer from MDC to discuss the yew tree in the churchyard which is leaning over the roof of an adjacent shed and also the trip hazard of the roots on the front path has been put off until the Churchwarden returns

CC

 

 

 

6.11

Solar Array at Soho Farm – nothing further has been heard and the field has been ploughed and reseeded.  VH agreed to see if she could obtain any further information when Phil Ham returns.  A contact is needed to discuss benefits for the Parish if the Solar Array goes ahead.

VH

 

 

 

6.12

Quarry Long Term Management Fund – CC reported that the letter had been sent and thanks were extended to DS for compiling this.

 

 

 

 

6.13

Internal Auditor – the Clerk to check the rules and regulations for appointment of a new auditor

Clerk

 

 

 

7

DISTRICT AND COUNTY COUNCILLORS REPORTS

 

 

 

 

7.1

VH reported that she had attended the usual meetings including the Planning Board and a Youth Meeting held in Wells where various grants were available to young people on presentation of bids.

 

 

 

 

8

PROPOSALS FOR DISTRICT COUNCILLORS ‘LEGACY’ GRANT

 

 

 

 

8.1

At the last meeting VH had reported that she and PH had £2,000 each to spend in the community and consideration should be given for a suitable legacy for the village.  Bids for this money should be in by October.

 

 

 

 

8.2

Councillors suggested the following options

 

 

 

 

 

·                 Contribution towards the cost of the pump track (total cost £16000)

·                 Youth shelter in Recreation Field

·                 Display board and graphical picture of the village depicting sights of interest and footpaths etc. 

 

 

 

 

8.3

VH agreed to consider this list and see if the suggestions met the required criteria.  Projects must improve the local environment and there is a suggested list available which VH offered to email round for information.

VH

 

 

 

9

CEMETERY

 

 

 

 

9.1

Fees - The Clerk agreed to compare the Cemetery fees against other cemeteries in the area.  The list of fees will be laminated and put up in the cemetery

Clerk

 

 

 

9.2

Land - CC reported that he had written to Rick Massey regarding the piece of land he has for sale.  CC will also contact Cooper and Tanner regarding current land for sale in the area.  The Clerk has also contacted Tarmac to try and find out the owner of the land opposite the Broad Bean Farm Shop

CC

Clerk

 

 

 

9.3

Hedge – CC reported that he had cut the hedge on June Brewster’s side of the cemetery border but there are branches which also need tackling from the cemetery side.

 

 

 

 

9.4

Fence - CC reported that the fence on June’s side is part of the cemetery and appears to be damaged.  It might therefore be necessary to replace it in due course

 

 

 

 

9.5

Yew Trees/Church path – CC stated that there would be a meeting with the Tree Officer from MDC and the Churchwarden to discuss this subject

 

 

 

 

10

RESPONSE TO APPLICATION FOR PHARMACEUTICAL SERVICES AT MENDIP COUNTRY PRACTICE

 

 

 

 

10.1

VH reported on the application by Mr Morley for Pharmaceutical Services at Mendip Country Practice. 

 

 

 

 

10.2

The application is to test the five year rule – in September last year the rules changed again so the Practice took professional advice and a pharmacist has to put in an application, hence Mr Morley’s application. 

 

 

 

 

10.3

It was agreed that the response should be as previously in 2012 and CC agreed to send the letter.

CC

 

 

 

11

RESPONSE TO NALC PAPER – A NEW FUTURE – DEVELOPING THE STRATEGY

 

 

 

 

11.1

The NALC paper – A New Future – Developing the Strategy had been sent round for comments which need to be made by 19 August. 

 

 

 

 

12

PLANNING

 

 

 

 

12.1

Latest Status of Recent Applications

 

 

 

 

12.1.1

Planning Application 2012/2982 – Land at Soho Farm, Soho, Leigh-on-Mendip; installation of a Solar PVC array and associated infrastructure – as previously discussed in the meeting contact details are awaited in order to discuss possible legacy benefits to the village

 

 

 

 

12.2

Pre Application Consultations

 

 

 

 

12.2.1

Proposed Wind Turbine at Rock House Farm, Chantry – it was noted that the site of the Wind Turbine would actually fall just within the Chantry boundary but would be in direct line of site of Leigh-on-Mendip.  It was suggested that contact should be made with Chantry Parish Council by CC or the Clerk to suggest a joint meeting for further discussions.  Councillors expressed real concerns about the visualisation.

CC

Clerk

 

 

 

12.2.2

Grove Shute Farm – see item 4 of these minutes

 

 

 

 

12.3

Planning Applications

 

 

 

 

12.3.1

Planning Application 2013/1091 – Change of use from residential to café (A3 use) in connection to Broad Bean Farm Shop.  Alterations to on-site parking – Broad Bean Farm Shop, Ivy Cottage, Quarry Lane, Leigh-on-Mendip (Miss Joanne Hudson)

 

 

 

 

12.3.2

This application was discussed.  It was agreed to recommend rejection, proposed by DM and seconded by DS for the following reason

 

 

Although the Parish Council support a small café in the village, the Council cannot accept the application as it is on the basis of the opening times and proposed alcoholic licence and the competition to the pub which was raised at the discussion meeting.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

12.3.3

The Clerk was asked to write to MDC informing them of the Councils decision.

Clerk

 

 

 

13

FINANCE

 

 

 

 

13.1

Financial Statement – statement to 15.07.13 was agreed and signed

 

 

 

 

14

COUNCILLOR REPORTS

 

 

 

 

14.1

PCSO – a report had been received from PCSO 8796 Dean Saunders.  It was agreed that the Council would like a bit more information on actions taken. It was also agreed that it would be useful to know what percentage of his time he was being pulled away from his duties to do other things.  It was noted that the next quarterly PACT meeting would be on 29 August at 7.00 p.m. at Frome Police Station. AD to attend.

 

 

 

 

 

 

AD

 

 

 

14.2

Footpaths –

·                     new kissing gate fitted on the field from Sparks Farm.

·                     New gateway on the junction of Stocks Lane and Pitten Street – the Enforcement Officer is involved

·                     new unauthorised gateway on Pitten Street by the sump has been reported. 

 

 

 

 

14.3

Highways  - CC reported on the introduction of new charging structure for highway licences – the County Council have introduced full cost charging to all parties that apply for licences to erect structures on the highway (e.g. planters, notice boards, shelters, name boards, monuments etc).  The cost will be an £165 administration fee plus reimbursement of any legal costs associated with issuing the licence therefore total costs may be in the region of £515.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

14.4

Recreation Field – AD reported that the Recreation Field Committee are looking for commitments from the quarries for the supply of hard core and sand, etc for the pump track and applications for funding for the track are being put together.  Dog fouling is still a problem and Vicky Higgins would be speaking to the Dog Warden.  The grass cutting is working well

 

 

 

 

14.5

Memorial Hall – the review of the booking prices is completed which has resulted in a rationalisation of charges.   On the 29 July members have been asked to assemble at 10.30 to help with decorating.  The next meeting is scheduled for September.

 

 

 

 

14.6

School – GB stated that she would visit in the new school term.

GB

 

 

 

14.7

SALC – GB had attended the meeting that evening and would compile a briefing note for circulation.  It was noted that Peter Lacey’s replacement – Justin Robinson – would start in the first week of August.

GB

 

 

 

14.8

Quarry – the next meeting is scheduled for October.  DS had spoken to the Unit Manager regarding any issues that they wish to raise with us.  Tarmac had been pleased to support the Country Fair again this year.  A thank you letter will be sent and the Clerk will check when attending the Fete Committee meeting on the following evening who would be doing this.

Clerk

 

 

 

15

MEETINGS ATTENDED/TO BE ATTENDED

 

 

 

 

15.1

GB attended the SALC meeting on 15 July 2013 in Coleford.

 

 

 

 

15.2

Mendip Policy Forum, 6.30 p.m. at Kilver Court on Monday 22 July – the agenda was in the monthly bulletin and there will be an update on planning issues. 

 

 

 

 

15.3

Planning Training and Briefing events – next meetings to take place on Wednesday 18 September, Wednesday 20 November, Wednesday 22 January and Wednesday 19 Marsh in the Main Hall at Wells Town Hall from 6.00 p.m. to 8.30 p.m.  No more than two Councillors from each Parish to attend due to capacity issues.

 

 

 

 

16

CORRESPONDENCE

 

 

 

 

16.1

The Clerk had received the following information

 

·                        Mendip District Council new website launched at the end of April.  This website has an events area so anyone with an event to publicise should send the information to ICT@mendip.gov.uk

·                        Letter from Aggregate Industries regarding a planning application submitted for development of four wind turbines at Torr Works – planning reference 2013/1244

·                        Email from MDC regarding count of Gypsy and Traveller Caravans and Sites – nil return

·                        Information on Progress on Connecting Devon and Somerset to high speed fibre optic broadband

 

 

 

 

17

DATE AND TIME OF NEXT MEETING

 

 

 

 

17.1

Monday 16 September 2013 at 7.30 p.m. at the Memorial Hall