MINUTES

LEIGH-ON-MENDIP PARISH COUNCIL MEETING

 HELD ON MONDAY 17 FEBRUARY 2014 AT 7.30 P.M. IN THE MEMORIAL HALL

 

Present

Chris Cudmore

CC

 

 

 

Vikky Batten

VB

 

 

 

David Mattick

DM

 

 

 

Gill Boden

GB

 

 

 

David Sparkes

DS

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

In attendance

Anthea Brooks, Clerk

AB

 

 

 

Kiley Pescott

KP

 

 

 

Eight members of the public (item 7.2)

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

1

APOLOGIES

ACTIONS

 

 

 

 

 

1.1

Apologies were received from Val Horler, District Councillor

 

 

 

 

 

 

2

WELCOME

 

 

 

 

 

 

2.1

The Chairman welcomed Kiley Pescott who had shown an interest in becoming a Councillor and was attending the meeting to find out more about the work of the Council

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

3

DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST AND DISPENSATIONS

 

 

 

 

 

 

3.1

There were no declarations or dispensations

 

 

 

 

 

 

4

MINUTES OF THE MEETING HELD ON 20 JANUARY 2014

 

 

 

 

 

 

4.1

The minutes of the Parish Council meeting held on 20 January 2014 were agreed as a true and accurate record and were signed by the Chairman.

 

 

 

 

 

 

5

MATTERS ARISING FROM THE MINUTES OF 20 JANUARY 2014

 

 

 

 

 

 

5.1

(3.1) Declarations of Interest and Dispensations – the Clerk was asked to make sure that the MDC website was up to date with VB’s declaration and to amend the information already contained there.

 

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

 

 

5.2

(5.2) Internal Audit and Risk Assessment – The risk assessment is ongoing but the asset review/audit is complete with minor points for action (email from DM of 24 May 2013 refers). The Clerk will study the documents and this will be scheduled for discussion at a future meeting - ongoing

 

 

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

5.3

(5.3) Pursuance of land for Cemetery extension – the land adjacent to The Firs has been identified as belonging to Hanson.  The Clerk had received a response to an email and her request for information had been passed to the Land and Planning Manager based in Newton Abbot from whom a reply is awaited

 

 

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

 

 

5.4

(5.4) Collapsed wall on pavement to Barnsclose Quarry – it was agreed that a further letter should be written to the landowner - ongoing

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

 

 

5.5

(5.4) Churchyard Yew Trees and Church path – CC reported that he and the Churchwarden had met with an Inspector from MDC who had submitted a quote to MDC. Agreement for the work required on the path is awaited.  CC agreed to chase this.

 

 

 

CC

 

 

 

 

 

5.6

(5.8) Land for Cemetery Extension – CC reported that as far as Cooper and Tanner are concerned the land is still for sale – ongoing.

 

CC

 

 

 

 

 

 

5.7

(5.11) Highways – Barnsclose Quarry barrier on bend – CC reported that Highways have agreed to carry out an inspection of this bend but this has not yet taken place – ongoing.

 

 

CC

 

 

 

 

 

5.8

(5.13) Memorial Hall deeds reference car parking – the Clerk had been unable to find any further files with reference to the history of car parking at the Memorial Hall - complete

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 5.9

(5.25) Training Courses – the Clerk had booked herself onto three Essential Clerk courses as agreed and had sent information to VB on a course for new councillors - complete

 

 

 

 

 

 

5.10

(6.1.1) Quarry Liaison Meeting – this is to take place on 13 March at 10.00 a.m. at the Quarry

 

 

 

 

 

 

5.11

(6.1.1) Somerset Minerals Plan – DS has studied the plan and reported that a) Somerset are in favour of sustainable development, b) a 15 year land bank is favoured but resources at the moment mean that there is a 41 year bank, c) the three most important sites are Whatley, Torr and Moonshill.  Torr and Whatley because of their rail links and Moonshill because it has a source of skid resistance materials for tarmac, d) Barnsclose permission relinquished over 10 years ago and unlikely to be used again, e) Petroleum exploration and development licence – UK Methane have the licence for this area which includes Leigh-on-Mendip.  Somerset are phasing any potential development with very careful control, f) fracking not always required for extraction from coal bed methane, g) Bath’s hot spring protection is of paramount importance.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

5.12

It was noted that consultation is taking place on the Somerset Minerals Plan and one of the venues chosen is Leigh-on-Mendip Memorial Hall on 21 March 2014 when an Officer will be available to answer questions.  The Clerk was asked to send this information to the village magazine for inclusion in the March edition.

 

 

 

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

 

 

5.13

(6.1.1) Legacy Grants – there is a Recreation Field meeting tonight at which this will be discussed along with the refusal of Certificate of Use for the Pump Track, application for which was submitted following advice  from MDC.

 

 

 

 

 

 

5.14

(6.1.1) Performance – PH had asked to be informed if electronic responses to planning issues were not visible on the MDC planning website.  CC reported that he will follow this up with PH.  DM reported that he had spoken to the Planning Officer in charge of the Single Wind Turbine application today following which his letter of 29th October had appeared on the website.

 

 

 

 

 

CC

 

 

 

 

 

5.15

(7.2.7) Salt Bin, Tweed Farm – CC reported that this has been added to the Highways replenishment programme and will be filled when resources are available - complete

 

 

 

 

 

 

5.16

(7.2.8) Pump Track – see item 5.12 above

 

 

 

 

 

 

5.13

(7.3.5) Coleford Recycling Centre Closure – a letter had been sent to Somerset Waste Partnership to which a standard response has been received.

 

 

 

 

 

 

5.14

(8.1.3) Torr Works, erection of four wind turbines  - the CD Environmental Impact Report had been passed to DM for consideration

 

 

DM

 

 

 

 

 

5.15

(9.1) Emergency Planning – GB is working on the template and will circulate it when ready

GB

 

 

 

 

 

5.16

(10.2) Cemetery Fencing Repairs – CC reported that he was seeking quotations from Jacksons and Tom Kemp.  Mr Fletcher had declined to quote.  13 panels are required together with 14 posts. – ongoing

 

 

 

CC

 

 

 

 

 

5.17

(11.5.2) Grass Cutting – The Clerk had received a quotation from Chris Brown at Shepton Mallet Landscapes for the same amount as last year to cut the Recreation Field.  A quotation had also been received from Anthony Cross, who had worked for Steve Pitt, for cutting the cemetery for same amount as last year.  CC proposed that the Parish Council accept these two quotations and this was seconded by GB, agreed unanimously.  The Clerk was asked to confirm that acceptance was in accordance with financial regulations and then inform the two individuals concerned.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

 

 

5.18

(12.1) PCSO  - VB will attend the next PCSO meeting on 27 February at Frome Police Station.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

5.19

(12.2) Footpaths – DS agreed to take over as Rights of Way Officer

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

5.20

(12.4) Recreation Field  - VB was unable to attend because the Recreation Field meeting had clashed with the Parish Council meeting.  VB will attend the next meeting.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

5.21

(13.6) Planning Meeting – Parish Council Training – DM had attended this meeting and distributed a report.  The training was on enforcement, historic building conservation and Mendip conservation.  Unfortunately due to non-attendance of the individual concerned there was no update on progress with the Local Plan

 

 

 

 

 

 

5.22

(13.7) Rural Forum – CC had attended the Rural Forum and slides distributed.

 

 

 

 

 

 

5.23

(13.9) Memorial Hall – DM had attended the Memorial Hall meeting.

 

 

 

 

 

 

6

DISTRICT AND COUNTY COUNCILLORS REPORTS

 

 

 

 

 

 

6.1

District Councillors Report

 

 

 

 

 

 

6.1.1

VH had sent a report to the Clerk from which the salient points were noted as follows.  The Clerk was asked to email the report to Councillors.

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

 

 

 

·                     VH had attended Cabinet at Wells Town Hall on 10 February.  Somerset Waste Partnership and the closure of Coleford were on the agenda and PH gave an excellent speech.  VH put some points to David Oaten regarding the proposed closure such as more rubbish going to landfill, more trips to Frome centre.  Cabinet agreed to the business plan but not with the closure of Coleford

 

 

 

 

 

 

7

PLANNING

 

 

 

 

 

 

7.1

Lobbying to prevent rural planning chaos

 

 

 

 

 

 

7.1.1

Huish Episcopi Parish Council had sent through a letter which they had sent to the PM, local MP etc. regarding rural planning chaos.  Council discussed whether they wanted to submit a similar letter and it was agreed not to go ahead.  However Councillors and the public were free to sign the e-petition which had been received. CC to add details on the village website. 

(CC: follow this external link  http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/59376  ) 

CC

 

 

 

 

 

 

7.2

Request for a Judicial Review of Park Hayes Outline Planning Permission

 

 

 

 

 

 

7.2.1

Eight members of the public were present and a discussion was held on this subject.  The following actions were agreed.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

·                     Decision to be made as to when the six week timeline for a Judicial Review starts in this case.  DM will contact the Planning Officer to ascertain the start date and whether it applies to OPP.  DM will also look into the likely costs of a Judicial Review

 

 

 

 

DM

 

 

 

 

 

 

·                     VB will put a leaflet through doors with her contact details and become the Council representative on the proposed “Friends of Park Hayes” group. This group would be responsible for requesting any Judicial Review.

 

 

VB

 

 

 

 

 

 

·                     CC will write to MDC to inform them of the possibility of a Judicial Review taking place

 

CC

 

 

 

 

 

7.2.2

The members of the public then left the meeting.

 

 

 

 

 

 

7.3

Other Planning Issues

 

 

 

 

 

 

7.3.1

The following points were noted:

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

·                     Jasmine Cottage application has been approved

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

·                     Clove Cottage – the appeal has been allowed so that the cottage can now be used for residential occupancy and not solely as a holiday let

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

·                     Grove Shute Farm live/work unit – has been withdrawn

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

·                     Solar Farm – public footpath – redirection has been granted

 

 

 

 

 

 

7.4

Single Wind Turbine

 

 

 

 

 

 

7.4.1

Two new documents for the single wind turbine have been submitted one is a geological magnetic survey and the other is  from Rural England.  It was noted that the Secretary of State has to make a decision on whether an EIA is required.

 

 

 

 

 

 

8

FINANCE

 

 

 

 

 

 

8.1

Financial Statement – statement to 17.02.14 was agreed and signed

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

8.2

Cheques signed

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

·                     Shepton Mallet Landscapes – Recreation Field Grass Cutting - £499.20 (including VAT)

 

 

 

·                     F. Higgins – repair of noticeboard (materials) -  £9.94 CC thanked Mr Higgins for completing this work.

 

 

 

 

 

 

8.3

Other Finance issues

 

 

 

 

 

 

8.3.1

CC stated that a request is likely to be made to the Parish Council by Vicky Taylor on behalf of the local crafts group who run a successful annual exhibition in the Hall.  Currently they have to hire display boards and lighting but now want to purchase some of their own and may request a contribution from the Parish Council.  It was suggested that the Memorial Hall should purchase this equipment so that it is available to hire to other groups.  The request is awaited.

 

 

 

 

 

 

9

COUNCILLOR REPORTS

 

 

 

 

 

 

9.1

PCSO – VB will attend the next meeting on Thursday 27 February at Frome Police Station.  CC stated that Mendip would be trialling a new national initiative called the Community Trigger to tackle anti-social behaviour.  This aims to support individuals, community groups or businesses who believe that nobody is acting to tackle the anti-social behaviour they have reported. 

 

 

 

 

 

VB

 

 

 

 

 

9.2

Footpaths – thanks were extended to VB and DM’s family for tackling the brambles overgrowing the foot path in Leigh Street. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

9.3

VB offered to set up a Facebook page for Leigh-on-Mendip Parish Council which would enable the Council to send messages to villagers via their emails and make them aware of events happening and issues which need addressing.

 

 

 

VB

 

 

 

 

 

9.4

An email had been received from the WI regarding their annual litter pick.  MDC now require insurance to be obtained the cost of which would be prohibitive.  The WI has decided therefore to ask all participants to sign a disclaimer and a site visit and risk assessment will be carried out.

 

 

 

 

 

 

9.5

Highways

 

 

 

 

 

 

9.5.1

Nothing to report.

 

 

 

 

 

 

9.5

Recreation Field – VB will make contact to ascertain the outcome of tonight’s meeting and to inform them of the decision on the grass cutting contract.

 

 

VB

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

9.6

Memorial Hall – DM reported that there will be a Quiz Night on 5 April and the Parish Council had been asked to put forward a team for which there was interest.  The 100 Club forms have gone out.  Next meeting is 3 March.

 

 

 

 

 

 

9.7

School – GB reported that the school have purchased their scooter rack and were very grateful for this. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

9.8

SALC – nothing to report

 

 

 

 

 

 

9.9

Quarry

 

 

 

 

 

 

9.9.1

As previously stated the next Liaison Meeting will be on 13 March.

 

 

 

 

 

 

9.9.2

DS gave details of the new management structure which came into force on 1 February.

 

 

 

 

 

 

9.9.3

DS reported that the relationship between the quarry and the school is good and Kestrel Class, as a project, has produced 12 posters aimed at dog walkers which will be laminated and distributed around the perimeter footpaths

 

 

 

 

 

 

9.9.4

Country Fair – DS reported that a document produced by the Country Fair Committee substantiating the request for the marquee, toilets and cash donation to the Country Fair had been well received.

 

 

 

 

 

 

10

POINTS FROM PARISH BULLETIN

 

 

 

 

 

 

10.1

This item is to become a standing agenda item and follows the Rural Forum at which the attendance had been very low.  Following this an email had come out requesting that Parishes take note of the bulletin and the dates of meetings it contains.

 

 

 

 

 

 

11

MEETINGS ATTENDED/TO BE ATTENDED

 

 

 

 

 

 

11.1

PCSO meeting - next meeting Thursday 27 February at 7.00

VB

 

 

 

 

 

11.2

Quarry Liaison meeting  - 13 March at 10.00 a.m.

DS/CC

 

 

 

 

 

11.3

Coleford Steering Group – 5 March

GB

 

 

 

 

 

11.4

Memorial Hall – 3 March

DM

 

 

 

 

 

12

CORRESPONDENCE

 

 

 

 

 

 

12.1

The Clerk had received the following correspondence/information

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

·                     Somerset Community Foundation Flood Relief Special eNewsletter

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

·                     Email from Sam Winter at SALC informing us of the Regional Conference taking place on 30 April in Tiverton

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

·                     Email from Sam Winter at SALC regarding the fact that the Government has not extended referendum principles to parish councils..

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

·                     Email from Sam Winter at SALC attaching a briefing from NALC regarding the imminent repeal of the cheque signature rule

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

·                     Email from Andy Eisenhauer, Principle EHO Private Sector Housing regarding Wessex Home Improvement Loans available across the MDC area

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

·                     Email from Came & Company Insurers regarding practical steps to be taken to reduce the risk of flood damage.

 

 

 

 

 

 

13

DATE AND TIME OF NEXT MEETING

 

 

 

 

 

 

13.1

The next meeting will take place on Monday 17 March 2014 at 7.30 p.m. in the Memorial Hall, Leigh-on-Mendip.