MINUTES

LEIGH-ON-MENDIP PARISH COUNCIL MEETING

HELD ON MONDAY 21 APRIL 2014 AT 7.30 P.M. IN THE MEMORIAL HALL

 

Present

Chris Cudmore

CC

 

 

David Mattick

DM

 

 

Gill Boden

GB

 

 

Kiley Pescott

KP

 

 

David Sparkes

DS

 

 

 

 

 

In attendance

Anthea Brooks, Clerk

AB

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

1

APOLOGIES

ACTIONS

 

 

 

1.1

Apologies were received from Vikki Batten and Val Horler, District Councillor

 

 

 

 

2

DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST AND DISPENSATIONS

 

 

 

 

2.1

There were no declarations or dispensations.  KP returned his General Notice of Registrable Interests and the Declaration of Acceptance of Office. 

 

 

 

 

3

MINUTES OF THE MEETING HELD ON 17 MARCH AND 9 APRIL 2014

 

 

 

 

3.1

The minutes of the Parish Council meeting held on 17 March 2014 and 9 April 2014 were agreed as true and accurate records and were signed by the Chairman.

 

 

 

 

4

MATTERS ARISING FROM THE MINUTES OF 17 FEBRUARY 2014

 

 

 

 

4.1

(6.1) Declarations of Interest and Dispensations – the Clerk was in contact with MDC to make sure their website was up to date with VB’s declaration and would send KP’s information in due course - ongoing

 

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

4.2

(2.2) Vacancy – The Clerk had received the appropriate notice for display informing the electors of a vacancy on the council and would display this on the noticeboards.

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

4.3

(6.2) Internal Audit and Risk Assessment –   DM offered to do a list of the actions arising from the risk assessment using a suitable proforma. 

 

 

DM

 

 

 

4.4

(6.3) Pursuance of land for Cemetery extension –

 

 

 

 

4.4.1

CC reported that he would be attending a meeting in Taunton in May and would take that opportunity to raise with the Highways Department any issues arising from the new cemetery

 

 

CC

4.4.2

DS will make contact with the current tenant of the field

DS

 

 

 

4.5

(6.4) Collapsed wall on pavement to Barnsclose Quarry – the Clerk had emailed the landowner - complete

 

 

 

 

 

4.6

(6.5) Churchyard Yew Trees and Church path – CC reported that the church path had been resurfaced.  The question of lopping the yew trees was still to be pursued.

 

 

 

 

4.7

(6.7) Highways – Barnsclose Quarry barrier on bend – CC reported that notification has been received of an inspection and a report is awaited

 

 

CC

 

 

 

4.8

(6.9 Performance – CC will inform PH where electronic responses to planning issues are not visible on the MDC website - ongoing

 

 

CC

 

 

 

4.9

(6.11) Emergency Planning – GB will circulate the template within the next couple of weeks - ongoing

 

GB

 

 

 

4.10

(6.13) Grass Cutting – the clerk had received signed acceptance of the contract for the Cemetery and Recreation Field.  The Clerk was asked to send a copy of the contract to the Recreation Field Committee.

 

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

4.11

(7.2.1)  DM had sent a copy of the report on the Wells presentation on Reusable Energy to PH as requested - complete

 

 

 

 

4.12

(8.2) Coleford Recycling Centre – CC had sent a letter to Somerset Waste Partnership as discussed at the previous meeting.  An acknowledgement had been received.

 

 

 

 

4.13

(9.1/9.4 and 9.5) Cemetery Fencing – It was noted that the Chrysalis quote did not include VAT.  An additional quotation had been obtained as requested and the Clerk had obtained confirmation from the insurance company that cover did not extend to the fencing.

 

 

 

 

4.14

(10.1.1) Request for Judicial Review – DM reported that there are two ombudsmen but a review is only undertaken where there is evidence of a mis-process.  In the absence of VB it was not known whether contact had been made with the developer regarding safety aspects of the development

 

 

 

 

VB

 

 

 

4.15

(10.2) Pump Track – MDC had acknowledged receipt of the application

 

 

 

 

4.16

(11.3.1) Bank Signatory Forms – VB and KP to inform the Clerk when they had completed the forms and returned them to the bank

 

 

VB/KP

 

 

 

 

4.17

(11.3.3) Signatory Mandate – the Clerk will return this to the bank once VB and KP have confirmed that they have returned their forms

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

4.18

(13.9.1) CC reported that a meeting had been set up to take place in Taunton on 9 May to discuss the status of the Long Term Management Fund.  DS and CC have been invited.

 

 

DS/CC

 

 

 

4.19

(16.1) Transparency Code – the Clerk had circulated the policy consultation on the proposed transparency code.  It was agreed not to make a response.

 

 

 

 

5

MATTERS ARISING FROM THE EXTRAORDINARY MEETING HELD ON 9 APRIL 2014

 

 

 

 

5.1

(3) Cemetery Fencing – the Clerk had written to the successful tenderer and also to the two companies who were not successful.

 

 

 

 

6

DISTRICT AND COUNTY COUNCILLORS REPORTS

 

 

 

 

6.1

There were no reports available

 

 

 

 

7

PLANNING

 

 

 

 

7.1

2014/0461/CNT Renewal of Planning Permission 043791/008 to retain a temporary modular Elliott classroom building and ancillary works at Leigh-on-Mendip First School

 

 

 

 

7.1.1

This application was discussed and it was proposed by DS and seconded by DM to support the application without any reservations.  The Clerk was asked to inform Somerset County Council of the decision of the Council.

 

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

7.2

2013/1481 Deepening part of quarry extension (Rookery Farm area) to create a balancing lake for Halecombe Quarry

 

 

 

 

7.2.1

The Clerk reported that she had received an emailed letter from SCC informing the Council that this application had been granted.  The Clerk was asked to forward this to DS for information

 

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

7.3

2013/2428/HSE Demolition of existing porch and construction of a new porch, demolition and replacement two storey rear extension at the Flying Teapot, Leigh-on-Mendip

 

 

 

 

7.3.1

The Clerk reported that she had received a letter from MDC informing the Council that this application had been approved.

 

 

 

 

 

 

7.4

Enforcement

 

 

 

 

7.4.1

CC stated that he had received reports of more activity in the disused quarry on Whitehole Hill and had reported this to the Enforcement Officer at MDC.

 

 

 

 

8

FINANCE

 

 

 

 

8.1

Financial Statement – statement to 31.03.14 was agreed and signed

 

 

 

 

8.2

Cheques signed

 

 

 

 

 

·                     Hire of Memorial Hall - £112.00

 

 

·                     SALC Membership Fee -  £205.46

 

 

·                     Cemetery Clerk’s Salary - £83.44

 

 

·                     Clerk’s Salary - £143.49

 

 

·                     HMRC (payment of tax) - £145.00

 

 

·                     SALC Training Fee - £55.00 (minute 5.25/20.01.14)

 

 

 

 

8.3

End of year accounts/Annual Return

 

 

 

 

8.3.1

The Clerk had drafted the annual return and would prepare the end of year accounts for presentation to the Parish Meeting on 19 May.  All financial documents would be passed to the auditor by the Clerk.

 

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

8.4

Grant Application from PCC

 

 

 

 

8.4.1

The Clerk had received an application from the PCC for a grant towards the cost of a ramp to enable disable access to the church.  The cost would be £350.00 plus VAT.  It was proposed by CC and seconded that DS that £100 grant be awarded to the PCC for this purpose.  The Clerk will speak to the Treasurer of the PCC regarding the possibility of reclaiming the VAT

 

 

 

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

9

ANNUAL NEWSLETTER

 

 

 

 

9.1

CC had distributed a draft newsletter which was discussed and amendments agreed.  CC will email this to the Clerk who will arrange to have 250 copies printed in black and white on coloured paper as soon as possible and return to CC.  CC had prepared a distribution list and all Councillors will deliver their allocation.

 

 

 

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

10

REVIEW AND AUDIT OF ASSETS

 

 

 

 

10.1

DM stated that he had last year’s list of assets and will carry out a review to be signed off at the June meeting of the Council.

 

DM

 

 

 

 

 

11

CONSULTATION ON NATIONAL PLANNING POLICY FRAMEWORK

 

 

 

 

11.1

It was noted that the Government have asked for comments on the usefulness of this policy and SALC have asked Parish Councils to pass on comments to them

 

 

 

 

11.2

After discussion it was agreed that whilst the NPPF is seen as an excellent document the current period of implementation is significantly impacting on the rural countryside and the quality of life.  The NPPF can only be effective when applied in conjunction with Local Plans and changes in national planning policies have not allowed for sufficient time to approve a full set of Local Plans and no policy has been issued to maintain local development control until revised Local Plans are approved.

 

 

 

 

11.3

It was agreed that DM would draft a response and distribute to Councillors for comment.  The Clerk would then send the resulting response to SALC before 25 April.

 

 

DM/Clerk

 

 

 

12

COUNCILLORS REPORTS

 

 

 

 

12.1

PCSO – VB will attend the next meeting on 21 May

VB

 

 

 

12.2

Footpaths

 

 

 

 

12.2.1

DS reported that he had received an email confirming his position as Footpaths Officer.  DS stated that VH had reported to him some graffiti on one of the kissing gates near the King’s Head and he had painted over the offensive remarks.

 

 

 

 

12.2.2

DS also reported erosion by the rain at the beginning of the same footpath which he considers to be dangerous.  DS will speak to VH and the landowner to see if this can be repaired.

 

 

DS

 

 

 

12.2.3

It was noted that the newsletter will ask parishioners to report any problems with footpaths to the Council..

 

 

 

 

12.3

Highways – CC reported that the drain outside the Bell Car Park had been cleared.  Someone had daubed grey paint on one of the village stones and CC will have a look and see if he can clean this off.

 

 

 

CC

 

 

 

12.4

Recreation Field – no report available.  CC had asked Vicky Higgins to attend the Annual Parish Meeting to deliver the Recreation Field report.

 

 

 

 

 

12.5

Memorial Hall – DM reported that the Quiz Night was a great success.  Consideration is being given to putting in a grant application for work on the floor – three quotations will have to be obtained.  CC stated that there is a sum of money allocated in the budget towards this cost. CC had invited Sue Vaughan to the Annual Parish meeting to deliver the Memorial Hall report.

 

 

 

 

12.6

School – nothing to report 

 

 

 

 

12.7

SALC – the clerk updated the Council on her recent training session with SALC.  One of the points raised had been the importance of clear signage and information on noticeboards.  The Clerk would arrange to make sure that the appropriate information is on the noticeboards.  DS agreed to speak to Simon Thomas about some repairs to the noticeboard near Park Hayes

 

 

 

 

 

DS/Clerk

 

 

 

12.8

Quarry

 

 

 

 

12.8.1

CC reported that he is attending a meeting on 9 May in Taunton to discuss the Long Term Management Fund.  DS stated that he had spoken to the Quarry Manager and there were no issues to report but he was pleased to know that the planning permission for the balancing lake had been approved.  Support for the Village Fair had been agreed by Lafarge who would pay for the marquee and the toilets.  . 

 

 

 

 

13

POINTS FROM PARISH BULLETIN

 

 

 

 

13.1

It was noted that the next Mendip Rural Forum due to take place on 28 April has been cancelled.  The next meeting will be in July. 

 

 

 

 

14

MEETINGS ATTENDED/TO BE ATTENDED

 

 

 

 

14.1

Quarry Meeting, Taunton – 9 May, DS and CC to attend

DS/CC

 

 

 

14.2

PCSO Meeting  - 21 May in Coleford

VB

 

 

 

15

CORRESPONDENCE

 

 

 

 

15.1

The Clerk had received the following correspondence/information

 

 

 

 

 

·                     Email from Laura Miller, Project Co-ordinator, Mendip Mobile Advice Service regarding the service visiting the village on a regular basis.  It was agreed that the Clerk would contact Laura and would suggest the third Monday in the month at the Village Hall when there is a regular coffee morning.

 

 

 

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

 

·                     Email from Oliver Marigold the Principal Planning Officer at MDC attaching the presentation regarding enforcement and conservation from the December 2013 Parish Council training session.  It was agreed that the Clerk would email this round to Councillors.

 

 

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

·                     Email from SALC attaching the minutes of a meeting of the East Area which was held on 24 March at Pilton.  The Clerk will forward this to all Councillors for information together with a copy of the presentation made by Justin Robinson at the same meeting.

 

 

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

 

·                     Email from MDC regarding the Somerset Levels and Moors Flood Action Plan and requesting feedback.  The Clerk was asked to forward this to all Councillors.  Responses have to be sent back to SALC by 31 May 2014.

 

 

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

16

DATE AND TIME OF NEXT MEETING

 

 

 

 

16.1

The next meeting will be the Annual Meeting of the Parish Council which will take place on Monday 19 May at 7.30 p.m. followed at 8.00 p.m. by the Annual Parish Meeting.  Tea and biscuits will be served at the latter to be organised by the Clerk

 

 

 

Clerk