MINUTES

LEIGH-ON-MENDIP PARISH COUNCIL MEETING

HELD ON MONDAY 16 JUNE 2014 AT 7.30 P.M. IN THE MEMORIAL HALL

 

Present

Chris Cudmore

CC

 

 

David Mattick

DM

 

 

Gill Boden

GB

 

 

Kiley Pescott

KP

 

 

David Sparkes

DS

 

 

 

 

 

In attendance

Anthea Brooks, Clerk

AB

 

 

Val Horler, District Councillor

VH

 

 

Five members of the public

 

 

 

 

 

01/14

APOLOGIES

ACTIONS

 

 

 

01.1/14

Apologies were received from Vikky Batten and Philip Ham, District and County Councillor

 

 

 

 

02/14

DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST AND DISPENSATIONS

 

 

 

 

02.1/14

There were no declarations or dispensations. 

 

 

 

 

03/14

MINUTES OF THE MEETING HELD ON 21 APRIL 2014

 

 

 

 

03.1/14

The minutes of the Parish Council meeting held on 21 April 2014 were agreed as a true and accurate record and were signed by the Chairman.

 

 

 

 

04/14

MATTERS ARISING FROM THE MINUTES OF 21 APRIL 2014

 

 

 

 

04.1/14

(4.1) Declarations of Interest and Dispensations – MDC website needs to be updated with VB and KP declarations.  However VB’s declaration has been returned because of some omissions.  The Clerk will contact VB and deal with this.

 

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

04.2/14

(4.2) Vacancy – the vacancy notice has been displayed on the noticeboards.  Once the official time has elapsed for electors to declare an interest the Council will be able to co-opt.  MDC will inform the Clerk when this has happened.

 

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

04.3/14

(4.3) Internal Audit and Risk Assessment –   to be discussed elsewhere on the agenda.

 

 

 

 

04.4/14

(4.4) Pursuance of land for Cemetery extension –

 

 

 

 

04.4.1/14

CC reported that a representative from Highways Development Control would be undertaking a site visit this week to consider any issues which may arise from the location of the new cemetery.

 

 

CC

 

 

 

 

04.4.2/14

Initial contact has been made with the tenant of the field; further contact will be made at a later date.

 

 

 

 

04.5/14

(4.7) Highways – Barnsclose Quarry barrier on bend – CC stated that a report is still awaited - ongoing

 

CC

 

 

 

04.6/14

(4.8) Performance – CC will inform PH where electronic responses to planning issues are not visible on the MDC website - ongoing

 

 

CC

 

 

 

04.7/14

(4.9) Emergency Planning – GB will circulate the template - ongoing

 

GB

 

 

 

04.7/14

(6.13) Grass Cutting – the clerk to check that she has sent a copy of the contract to the Recreation Field Committee.

 

Clerk

 

 

 

04.8/14

(10.1.1) Request for Judicial Review (Park Hayes) – it was agreed to close this action.

 

 

 

 

04.9/14

(11.3.1) Bank Signatory Forms – the Clerk will email account details to KP so that he can complete his form.

Clerk

 

 

 

04.10/14

(11.3.3) Signatory Mandate – the Clerk will return this to the bank once VB and KP have confirmed that they have returned their forms

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

04.11/14

(13.9.1) Halecombe Quarry Long Term Management Fund - CC had attended a meeting in Taunton on 9 May to discuss the status of the Long Term Management fund.

 

 

 

 

04.12/14

(8.3.1)  Audit - The Clerk had passed all financial documents to the auditor for audit.

 

 

 

 

04.13/14

(8.4.1) Grant Application from PCC – The Clerk had spoken to the Treasurer of the PCC regarding reclamation of VAT and it was noted that this was not possible

 

 

 

 

04.14/14

(9.4.1) Newsletter – complete and distributed

 

 

 

 

04.15/14

(10.1) Review and Audit of Assets - complete

 

 

 

 

04.16/14

(11.3) Consultation on National Planning Policy Framework – a response had been done and sent to SALC before the deadline of 25 April

 

 

 

 

04.17/14

(12.1) PCSO meeting – GB attended instead of VB

 

 

 

 

04.18/14

(12.2.2) Footpath erosion – DS reported that Somerset Rights of Way are dealing with this issue.

 

 

 

 

04.19/14

(12.3) Highways - Village Stones –  the name on one of the stones where grey paint had been daubed has been cleaned.

 

 

 

 

 

04.20/14

(12.7) Noticeboard (adjacent to Herbert Dun House) – refurbishment – DS will follow this up with Simon Thomas

 

DS

 

 

 

04.21/14

(15.1a) Citizens Advice – confirmation had been received that the Mobile Advice Service would be visiting the village on the third Monday of the month at the village hall (at the same time as the community coffee morning) commencing in September.

 

 

 

 

04.22/14

(15.1c) East Area SALC meeting – The Clerk to contact SALC to ask when the next meeting is scheduled to take place

 

Clerk

 

 

 

04.23/14

(15.1d) Somerset Levels and Moors Flood Action Plan - complete

 

 

 

 

05/14

DISTRICT AND COUNTY COUNCILLORS REPORTS

 

 

 

 

05.1/14

VH reported and made the following points

 

 

 

 

 

·                Planning – if the District Councillors need to be consulted they receive an email and now have 28 days to reply as to whether they have an interest or want it to go to the Board or want it to be approved/refused 

 

 

 

 

 

·                The new process for pre-planning is in use but has not been publicised to Parish Councils or described anywhere.  VH agreed to check on this.

 

 

VH

 

 

 

 

·                The Shape Mendip Hub is progressing well.

 

 

 

 

 

·                Coleford Hub is taking shape.   Meeting is scheduled for 2 July which GB will attend.  Information will go out to the villages to ask for their views.  The first bookings for the hall have been taken and organisations such as the CAB and PCSO will use it.

 

 

 

 

 

·                VH reported on a problem with parking at the school on the previous Thursday.  This was caused by a coach blocking the road whilst dropping off the children.  GB agreed to raise parking problems at the school at the next PCSO meeting. 

 

 

 

GB

 

 

 

 

·                It was also noted that a horsebox is often parked near the corner by the school which is proving to be hazardous to other motorists.  GB agreed to informally speak to the owners of the box.

 

 

GB

 

 

 

05.2/14

VH was asked about progress on the local legacy fund and it was noted that VH and PH need to meet to complete the 2013/14 forms. 

 

 

 

 

 

06/14

PLANNING

 

 

 

 

 

Planning Application 2014/0796/FUL Erection of 7 residential dwellings including biomass heating system and associated development at Grove Shute Farm, Leigh-on-Mendip for Mr and Mrs Nick and Jane Hiscox

 

 

 

 

06.1/14

Mr Chris Langdon representing Mr and Mrs Hiscox gave a short presentation on this planning application.

 

 

 

 

06.2/14

It was noted that three options were considered

 

 

 

 

 

·                Change of use to commercial

 

 

 

 

 

·                Replace with modern agricultural buildings for livestock

 

 

 

 

 

·                Replace with residential or work/live units

 

 

 

 

06.3/14

A decision was made to go with the third option but purely residential with some office space available.  Work/live was no longer viable because of the need to charge VAT and difficulty in arranging mortgages. 

 

 

 

 

06.3/14

Mr Langdon made the following points

 

 

 

 

 

·                The proposed development sits on the footprint of the existing farm buildings and yard area with an access drive

 

 

 

 

 

·                The buildings have been stepped into the site to maximise the use of landscaping

 

 

 

 

 

·                The buildings are proposed to be to sustainable code level 5 (6 being the highest)

 

 

 

 

 

·                This is previously developed land and that is something which NPPF states is preferable

 

 

 

 

 

·                The proposal would produce less traffic than the two alternatives

 

 

 

 

 

·                The development will contribute to the viability of the village and although seen as an isolated site there are 31 dwellings within 400 meters

 

 

 

 

06.4/14

A discussion then took place on the application. DM proposed,  DS seconded and it was agreed unanimously to recommend approval of the scheme because the benefits outweigh the impact but with the following caveats.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

·                There is concern over the right of way and access for the biomass and an unacceptable level of transport into that biomass unit

 

 

 

 

 

·                There is potential impact on Townsend Lane and the Parish Council recommended that Highways be asked to look at using some of the S106 funds to improve Townsend Lane and its junctions

 

 

 

 

 

·                The village design statement should be taken into consideration particularly guidelines 12-17

 

 

 

 

06.5/14

The Clerk was asked to write to MDC informing them of the Council’s decision.

 

Clerk

 

 

 

06.6/14

The members of the public then left the meeting.

 

 

 

 

07/14

RISK ASSESSMENT

 

 

 

 

07.1/14

The risk assessment document had been distributed previous to the meeting.  There were no amendments to be made and KP proposed and GB seconded that the document should be adopted for use by the Council.  Agreed unanimously.

 

 

 

 

07.2/14

Review of actions – this document is a copy of the one that the previous Clerk raised with each item cross referenced to the risk assessment.  The Clerk and DM will update this and then sign it as a correct record.  The final document will be distributed to Councillors

 

 

 

Clerk

DM

 

 

 

07.3/14

Policies – DM reported that he had provided various policies to the Clerk and CC for consideration.  Once agreed they will be distributed to Councillors for their perusal and then adopted at the next meeting.

 

 

Clerk

CC

 

 

 

08/14

FINANCE

 

 

 

 

08.1/14

Financial Statement – statement to 16.06.14 was agreed and signed

 

 

 

 

08.2/14

Report from Internal Auditor - The Clerk reported that the books had been audited and returned with no problems. 

 

 

 

 

08.3/14

Annual Return – agreement of Accounting Statement and completion of Annual Governance Statement

 

 

 

 

08.3.1/14

The accounting statement figures were proposed by DM and seconded by DS as correct.  Agreed unanimously

 

 

 

 

08.3.2/14

The annual governance statement was proposed by GB and seconded by DS as correct.  Agreed unanimously.

 

 

 

 

08.3.3/14

The audit return was signed by the Chairman and Clerk respectively.  The Clerk will return the document to Grant Thornton.

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

08.4/14

Consider closure of cemetery account and amalgamation with PC account

 

 

 

 

08.4.1/14

It was noted that the historical reason for having separate accounts was that the role of Cemetery Clerk was separate from that of the Parish Clerk.  The roles have now been amalgamated and it was proposed by CC and seconded by KP, agreed unanimously that the Clerk would approach the Bank with a view to amalgamating the two accounts.

 

 

 

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

08.5/14

NS&I Account

 

 

 

 

 

It was agreed that the signatories for this account would be the Clerk, CC and DM.  The form was completed accordingly and the Clerk will send this to NS&I.

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

08.6/14

Cheques signed

 

 

 

 

 

·                     Internal Auditor - £30.00

 

 

·                     Clerk’s Salary for May 2014 - £191.70, Payscale 18 from 01.04.14

 

 

 

 

09/14

COUNCILLORS REPORTS

 

 

 

 

09.1/14

PCSO

 

 

 

 

09.1.1/14

GB had attended the meeting and reported that two new PCSO’s and two Beat Managers would be in place by the beginning of August as part of the new ‘Operator Model’ regime for local policing.  The usual debate took place around problems in the different villages.  The problem of nuisance motorcycles continues in Asham and Westdown Quarries and a concerted ‘day of action’ is planned involving police, quarry owners and their security staff.  .

 

 

 

 

09.1.2/14

An enquiry had been received from Leigh-on-Mendip to set up a speedwatch scheme.

 

 

 

 

09.1.3/14

The next meeting is scheduled to take place on Wednesday 3 September at 7.00 p.m. at Coleford Youth Club

 

 

 

 

 

09.2/14

Footpaths

 

 

 

 

09.2.1/14

DS provided maps of the footpaths in the parish.  It was suggested that the footpaths should be divided into sections for which different Councillors will be responsible but that resolution of issues would be co-ordinated by DS.  DS agreed to produce a plan for discussion at the next meeting.

 

 

 

 

DS

 

 

 

09.3/14

Highways – CC reported that there is a water leak by Yew Tree Cottage, Townsend Lane and the road will be closed for repairs to take place.  The village street was swept on 12 June and the gulleys were cleaned out as well.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

09.4/14

Recreation Field – no report available.  CC to check with VB that she is happy to be the Parish Council representative on the Recreation Field Committee

 

 

CC

 

 

 

09.5/14

Memorial Hall – DM reported that a Take Art event is to take place on 17 September.  The Flower Festival at St Giles’ will be using the hall over the weekend of the August Bank Holiday for a history display which has been put together by Graham Harris.  Refreshments will also be available.  The Hall will be used for the Craft Exhibition at the end of September.

 

 

 

 

09.6/14

School – nothing to report 

 

 

 

 

09.7/14

SALC – nothing to report

 

 

 

 

09.8/14

Quarry

 

 

 

 

09.8.1/14

CC reported that following the meeting on 9 May in Taunton to discuss the Long Term Management Fund he had received a letter from the CEO reaffirming that the money would be available.  However there was no reference to any documented evidence so a response has gone back asking on what basis they are making their assurance.   CC will chase for a response as necessary.

 

 

 

 

 

CC

 

 

 

09.8.2/14

DS reported that two or three parishioners had mentioned a very loud blast recently.  This had been checked with the quarry who have provided reassurance that the blast was within the normal parameters. 

 

 

 

 

09.9/14

Coleford Hub - GB stated that she would attend the next meeting.  It was noted that as the Hub develops any benefits to the village should be publicised accordingly.

 

 

 

 

10/14

POINTS FROM PARISH BULLETIN

 

 

 

 

10.1/14

Legacy Fund – it was agreed to discuss the 2014/15 Legacy Fund at the next meeting.  Deadline for applications is 1 August 2014

 

 

 

 

10.2/14

Rural Forum 21 July – it was noted that the Mendip Rural Forum will take place on Monday 21 July which unfortunately clashes with the next Parish Council meeting.  GB agreed to attend.  Subjects for discussions include Local Plan Update, Policy on Renewable Energy and Local Bid (East Somerset Leader Programme).

 

 

 

 

 

GB

11/14

MEETINGS ATTENDED/TO BE ATTENDED

 

 

 

 

11.1/14

PCSO Meeting  - attended 22 May 2014

 

 

 

 

11.2/14

Rural Forum – to be attended 21 July

GB

 

 

 

11.3/14

Training – unfortunately neither KP nor VB are available on the training dates.  The Clerk will contact SALC to see if there are any other dates/venues in the near future.

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

12/14

CORRESPONDENCE

 

 

 

 

12.1/14

The Clerk had received the following correspondence/information

 

 

 

 

 

·                     Policing Plan from Avon and Somerset Police Commissioner – given to GB

 

 

 

 

 

·                     Email from Paul Wynne, Town Clerk, Frome Town Council regarding the proposed new Frome Community Hub

 

 

 

 

 

·                     Email from SLCC regarding the Somerset Branch Summer Meeting on 4 July 2014

 

 

 

 

 

·                     Email from Chris Edwards, Manager, Quantock Hills AONB regarding Somerset County Council’s reduction in contribution to AONB’s. 

 

 

 

 

 

·                     Email from David Inman, Director, Rural Services Network with an invitation to take part in a Rural Sounding Board.

 

 

 

 

 

·                     Email from Paul Wynne, Frome Town Clerk regarding the opportunity to secure EU funding for rural economic development.  Meeting was held on 5 June in Frome to discuss the Heart of Wessex Action Group which has been set up to provide access to EU leader funding for rural economic development.  CC attended

 

 

 

 

 

·                     Email confirmation from Laura Miller, Project Coordinator, Mendip Mobile Advice Service that the service will be attending the village commencing on 15 September and thereafter on the third Monday of the month

 

 

 

 

 

·                     Letter from Mendip Community Transport regarding the volunteer hospital car service and asking for a notice to be placed in the village with the intention of attracting volunteers to help the service.

 

 

 

 

13/14

DATE AND TIME OF NEXT MEETING

 

 

 

 

13.1/14

The next meeting will take place on Monday 21 July 2014 at 7.30 p.m. in the Memorial Hall.