MINUTES

LEIGH-ON-MENDIP PARISH COUNCIL MEETING

HELD ON MONDAY 21 JULY 2014 AT 7.30 P.M. IN THE MEMORIAL HALL

 

Present

Chris Cudmore

CC

 

 

David Mattick

DM

 

 

David Sparkes

DS

 

 

 

 

 

In attendance

Anthea Brooks, Clerk

AB

 

 

 

 

14/14

APOLOGIES

ACTIONS

 

 

 

14.1/14

Apologies were received from Gill Boden (attending the Mendip Rural Forum), Vikky Batten, Kiley Pescott and Val Horler, District Councillor

 

 

 

 

15/14

DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST AND DISPENSATIONS

 

 

 

 

15.1/14

There were no declarations or dispensations. 

 

 

 

 

16/14

MINUTES OF THE MEETING HELD ON 16 JUNE 2014

 

 

 

 

16.1/14

The minutes of the Parish Council meeting held on 16 June 2014 were agreed as a true and accurate record and were signed by the Chairman.

 

 

 

 

17/14

MATTERS ARISING FROM THE MINUTES OF 16 JUNE 2014

 

 

 

 

04.1/14

Declarations of Interest and Dispensations – MDC website needs to be updated with VB and KP declarations.  However VB’s declaration has been returned because of some omissions.  The Clerk will contact VB and deal with this. - ongoing

 

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

04.2/14

Vacancy – the Clerk reported that the vacancy notice has been displayed on the noticeboards and the official time has now elapsed for electors to declare an interest, therefore the Council is able to co-opt.  CC agreed to place a vacancy notice in the magazine.

 

 

 

 

CC

 

 

 

04.3/14

Internal Audit and Risk Assessment –   to be discussed elsewhere on the agenda.

 

 

 

 

04.4/14

Pursuance of land for Cemetery extension - CC reported that a representative from Highways Development Control had intended to undertake a site visit on 18 June but this had not happened because of a change of staff. CC has been in contact to ask for an update on this issue and will continue to monitor

 

 

 

 

CC

 

 

 

04.5/14

Highways – Barnsclose Quarry barrier on bend – CC reported that Highways have carried out a risk assessment the result of which is that a barrier is not required.

 

 

 

 

 

 

04.6/14

Performance – CC will inform PH where electronic responses to planning issues are not visible on the MDC website - ongoing

 

CC

 

 

 

04.7/14

Emergency Planning – GB will circulate the template - ongoing

GB

 

 

 

04.7/14

Grass Cutting – the clerk to check that she has sent a copy of the contract to the Recreation Field Committee.

 

Clerk

 

 

 

04.10/14

Signatory Mandate – the Clerk reported that VB and KP have now returned their forms to the bank and the Clerk will contact the bank to update the signatory mandate.

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

04.20/14

Noticeboard (adjacent to Herbert Dun House) – refurbishment – CC will supply the Clerk with the size of the board and the Clerk will look into replacement costs.

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

05.1/14

Pre-Planning – it was noted that information about the new procedure is now on the MDC website

 

 

 

 

05.1/14

School Parking – this will be raised at the next PCSO meeting on 3 September.  GB to speak informally to the owners of the horsebox which is parked on the corner near the school.

 

 

GB

 

 

 

05.1/14

Legacy Fund – VH and PH need to meet to complete the 2013/14 forms. 

 

VH/PH

 

 

 

07.2/14

Risk Assessment – Review of actions – this document was amended and signed by the Clerk and DM.  An updated copy will be sent to Councillors.

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

07.3/14

Risk Assessment – Policies – thanks were extended to DM for his work on policies.  Those not agreed at this meeting were to be sent to Councillors for perusal and then adopted at the meeting in September.

 

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

08.3.3/14

Audit Return - The Clerk had returned the audit return to Grant Thornton.

 

 

 

 

08.4/14

Amalgamation of PC and Cemetery Accounts – the Clerk had obtained information from the Bank which was discussed under the Finance item on the agenda.

 

 

 

 

08.5/14

NS&I Account – the clerk had returned the completed updated signatory forms to NS&I and a reply is awaited.

 

 

 

 

09.2.1/14

Footpaths – discussed elsewhere on the agenda

 

 

 

 

09.4/14

Recreation Field – VB is willing to continue to act as PC representative.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

09.8.1/14

Quarry – Long Term Management Fund – CC reported that information on the agreement with Lafarge Tarmac had been received but the PC is still waiting for some definite documentary evidence from SCC to do with the security of the fund - ongoing

 

 

 

CC

 

 

 

10.2/14

Rural Forum 21 July – it was noted that GB is attending the Rural Forum at MDC

 

 

 

 

 

11.3/14

Training – the Clerk will look at the SALC website to see when training is available for VB and KP

 

Clerk

 

 

 

18/14

DISTRICT AND COUNTY COUNCILLORS REPORTS

 

 

 

 

18.1/14

There were no reports available.

 

 

 

 

19/14

PLANNING

 

 

 

 

19.1/14

2014/1240/LBC – Lime Render the existing west gable of Rookery Farmhouse, Limekiln Lane, Leigh-on-Mendip for Lafarge Tarmac (Listed Building Consent)

 

 

 

 

19.1.1/14

The application was discussed.  DS proposed and DM seconded that the application should be supported.  The Clerk was asked to inform MDC.

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

19.2/14

Status of Current Applications

 

 

 

 

19.2.1/14

2014/0796/FUL Erection of 7 residential dwellings including biomass heating system and associated development, Grove Shute Farm, Tadhill, Leigh-on-Mendip

 

 

 

 

 

This application was supported at the meeting on 21 June with three caveats to which the applicant has now responded

 

 

 

 

19.2.2/14

101802/004 Amendment of condition three of full planning approval for Whitehole Springs Water Bottling Plant, Whitehole Hill, Leigh-on-Mendip

 

 

 

 

 

The Council have been notified that the application for the amendment of condition three has been withdrawn by MDC as the additional information requested has not been forthcoming. 

 

 

 

 

19.2.3/14

2013/2526/APP – Approval of details reserved by conditions 5 (layout and landscaping) and 6 (landscape management plan for Solar Farm at Soho Farm, Leigh-on-Mendip

 

 

 

 

 

·           The Council have been notified that the details submitted under condition 5 are unacceptable because they fail to show the buffers required between any fence or footpath and any part of an array to any existing or new hedgerow or tree

 

 

 

 

 

 

·           Condition 6 is unacceptable because the landscape management plan submitted makes suggestions but does not include any detail of the management proposed for the site.

 

 

 

 

 

·           The Council noted these refusals and agreed that as the Solar Farm is now producing electricity an email should be sent by the Clerk to Mells Park Trust regarding the proposed community benefit contribution of £2,000 per year.

 

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

19.2.4/14

Land Availability Assessment 2014 – Call for Sites

 

 

 

 

 

·           CC reported that Leigh-on-Mendip had been excluded from these documents. On querying this, confirmation had been received from MDC that the Council would not seek to allocate land in Leigh-on-Mendip on the basis of Local Plan Part 1.

 

 

 

 

 

·           However there may be other site allocations which could be considered on an exception basis or even land promoted by the Parish.  MDC will also be reviewing open space designations, confirming existing adopted protected open space and considering whether additional sites should also be identified.

 

 

 

 

 

·           It was agreed that CC would respond to this reiterating the village linear design statement and the Councils support for appropriate in fill development only.  Also reaffirming protection of land adjacent to the existing Recreation Field and informing MDC of the identification of land for a potential cemetery.

 

 

 

 

CC

 

 

 

20/14

FINANCE

 

 

 

 

20.1/14

Financial Statement – statement to 21.07.14 was agreed and signed

 

 

 

 

20.2/14

Update on amalgamation of Cemetery and PC accounts

 

 

 

 

20.2.1/14

The Clerk reported that, at the request of the bank, a letter had been drafted to go to the Business Department, to request transfer of the funds from the Cemetery Account to the Parish Council account.  The letter was agreed and signed.

 

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

20.3/14

Request for donation to Arts & Craft Exhibition

 

 

 

 

20.3.1/14

A request had been received from Leigh Arts & Craft Organising Committee asking for a grant towards this year’s exhibition.  The grant is required as a contribution towards purchase of display boards, lighting and plinths and a bid has been made to the Arts Council Lottery Fund for funding for this of approximately £1,000. 

 

20.3.2/14

It was proposed by DM and seconded by DS to support this request.  The Clerk was asked to write a letter of support enclosing a cheque for £50.00

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

20.4/14

Cheques signed

 

 

 

 

 

·                     Clerk’s Salary for June and July 2014 - £459.78, Payscale 18 from 01.04.14

 

 

·                     A Cross (Cemetery grass cutting) - £650.00

 

 

·                     Leigh Arts & Craft Exhibition - £50.00

 

 

 

 

21/14

CEMETERY MATTERS

 

 

 

 

21.1./14

Yew Trees – CC reported that MDC have agreed to schedule the works for dealing with the yew trees over the next five years. It was agreed that information about this should be put in the magazine.

 

 

 

CC

 

 

 

21.2/14

Cemetery Layout – the Clerk had brought the current cemetery layout plan for discussion.  It was noted that there are very few cremation plots remaining and other potential areas were discussed.  The Clerk agreed to carry out some research into size of plots and layout etc.

 

 

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

21.3/14

Reservation of plots – The Clerk had received a letter asking to reserve a burial plot in the cemetery.  The rules of the cemetery state that reservation of plots is not permitted.  However it was agreed that some research should be carried out into rules for cemeteries and burial grounds bearing in mind that a new policy would be required for the new cemetery.

 

 

 

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

21.4/14

New Cemetery – CC had received information about the current price of agricultural land.  It was agreed that the Clerk would approach SALC to obtain information on how to go about borrowing funds to purchase the land and get the cemetery set up – an architect will need to be approached to draw up some plans.  It was also agreed to ask SALC for sources of possible grant aid for funding.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

22/14

RISK ASSESSMENT

 

 

 

 

22.1/14

Review of Actions – this document was discussed and amended and signed. DM will raise a replacement risk review action list for next year that cross references the risk register. 

 

 

 

 

22.2/14

Disciplinary and Grievance Policy – the Clerk will investigate whether the PC has a disciplinary and grievance policy

Clerk

 

 

 

22.3/14

Freedom of Information (Policy and Publication Scheme) -

 

 

This policy was discussed and some amendments agreed which the Clerk was asked to make after which the document will be reissued.

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

22.4/14

Document Retention Policy - This policy was discussed and some amendments agreed which the Clerk was asked to make after which the document will be reissued.  The Clerk was also asked to check with SALC whether documents should be retained in soft or digital format.

Clerk

 

 

 

23/14

REPOSITIONING OF DOG BIN ADJACENT TO CHURCH

 

 

 

 

23.1/14

It was agreed to leave the dog bin where it is as there is no definite alternative position.

 

 

 

 

24/14

COUNCILLORS REPORTS

 

 

 

 

24.1/14

PCSO – GB had attended and had sent an emailed report.  The new pilot in Somerset was outlined with five beat managers rather than three and four PCSO’s serving all the villages.  The website will be updated with their information and then the Parish Council will be encouraged to extend an invitation to a PC meeting. 

 

 

 

 

24.2/14

Footpaths  - DS provided a map of the footpaths in the parish which divided them into sections.  DS proposed dividing up the areas of footpaths between GB, KP, CC and DS and to ask anyone who walks the footpaths to email a quick report to him specifically with any problems or issues which need to be addressed.  It was agreed to add this request to the website.  This subject will be discussed further at the next meeting.

 

 

 

 

 

 

DS/CC

 

 

 

24.3/14

Highways – CC reported that a repair has been carried out to the corner by Green Shutters.  GB had reported some damage by the school which has also been repaired. 

 

 

 

 

24.4/14

Recreation Field – no report available.  CC reported that the Recreation Field Management Committee had now paid their rent to date (nominal £1 per year - £3 paid).  The Clerk will issue a receipt for this amount.

 

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

24.4.1/14

Easement letters – CC stated that there are three properties with gates opening onto the car park and although they do not have right of access they are allowed to use the access.  CC will generate easement letters to these properties setting out this point. 

 

 

 

 

CC

 

 

 

24.4.2/14

Pump Track – the plans for the garage are being updated

 

 

 

 

24.5/14

Memorial Hall – DM reported that a Take Art event is to take place on 17 September.  The Flower Festival at St Giles’ will be using the hall over the weekend of the August Bank Holiday for a history display.  The Hall will be used for the Craft Exhibition at the end of September.  There will be a Quiz taking place at the end of October.

 

 

 

 

24.6/14

School – nothing to report 

 

 

 

 

24.7/14

SALC – nothing to report

 

 

 

 

24.8/14

Quarry - The Long Term Management Fund issue had been discussed earlier in the meeting.  The next Quarry Liaison meeting takes place in October.  DS reported that he had spoken to the Quarry Manager and the cash donation to the village fair had not received approval so far this year.  The invoice for the marquee had been received.  There had been two incidents of trespass.

 

 

 

 

24.9/14

Coleford Hub - GB had reported that she had volunteered to join the Management Committee of the Coleford Hub.

 

 

 

 

25/14

POINTS FROM PARISH BULLETIN

 

 

 

 

25.1/14

It was noted that the Parish Bulletin for July had not yet been issued.

 

 

 

 

26/14

MEETINGS ATTENDED/TO BE ATTENDED

 

 

 

 

26.1/14

PCSO Meeting  - 3 September

 

 

 

 

26.2/14

Rural Forum – 21 July

 

 

 

 

27/14

CORRESPONDENCE

 

 

 

 

27.1/14

The Clerk had received the following correspondence/information

 

 

 

 

 

·                     Information on the Heart of Wessex Local Action Group

 

 

 

 

 

·                     Visit of Stephen Williams MP, Local Government Minister to Bristol on 18 September 2014

 

 

 

 

 

·                     Email from Transporting Somerset looking to recruit Volunteer Drivers to help Somerset communities.

 

 

 

 

28/14

DATE AND TIME OF NEXT MEETING

 

 

 

 

28.1/14

The next meeting will take place on Monday 15 September 2014 at 7.30 p.m. in the Memorial Hall.