MINUTES

LEIGH-ON-MENDIP PARISH COUNCIL MEETING

HELD ON MONDAY 20 OCTOBER 2014 AT 7.30 P.M. IN THE MEMORIAL HALL

 

Present

David Mattick

DM

 

 

Gill Newbury

GN

 

 

David Sparkes

DS

 

 

 

 

 

In attendance

Anthea Brooks, Clerk

AB

 

 

Philip Ham, District & County Councillor

PH

 

 

Nick Hiscox (for item 50.1.1/14 only)

NH

 

 

 

 

44/14

APOLOGIES

ACTIONS

 

 

 

44.1/14

Apologies were received from Chris Cudmore, Vikky Batten, Kiley Pescott and Val Horler, District Councillor.  In the absence of the Chairman, the Vice Chairman took the chair

 

 

 

 

45/14

DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST AND DISPENSATIONS

 

 

 

 

45.1/14

DS declared an interest in agenda item 5 Planning - 2014/2030/FUL.  There were no other declarations or dispensations. 

 

 

 

 

46/14

MINUTES OF THE EXTRAORDINARY MEETING HELD ON 4 SEPTEMBER 2014

 

 

 

 

46.1/14

The minutes of the Extraordinary Parish Council meeting held on 4 September 2014 were agreed as a true and accurate record and were signed by the Chairman.

 

 

 

 

47/14

MINUTES OF THE MEETING HELD ON 15 SEPTEMBER 2014

 

 

 

 

47.1/14

There was one amendment to the minutes from the meeting of the 15 September.  Item 04.6/14 – the action was deleted.  With this amendment the minutes were agreed as a true and accurate record and were signed by the Chairman.

 

 

 

 

48/14

MATTERS ARISING FROM THE MINUTES OF 15 SEPTEMBER 2014

 

 

 

 

04.1/14

Declarations of Interest and Dispensations – MDC website needs to be updated with VB and KP declarations.  The Clerk has sent VB a new declaration to complete and when this is received will send both that for VB and KP to MDC to complete this action.

 

 

 

 

Clerk/VB

 

 

 

04.2/14

Vacancy – the vacancy for a Councillor had been advertised on the Facebook Group page and a notice put on the noticeboards - complete

 

 

 

 

04.7/14

Emergency Planning – GN will circulate the template - ongoing

GN

 

 

 

04.20/14

Noticeboard (adjacent to Herbert Dun House) – refurbishment – DS reported that Simon Thomas had agreed to replace the noticeboard at Herbert Dun House.  DS will ask for an idea of cost.

 

 

 

DS

 

 

 

05.2/14

Legacy Fund – VH and PH need to complete the 2013/14 forms. 

 

VH/PH

 

 

 

09.8.1/14

Quarry – Long Term Management Fund – CC had sent in a report which stated that a further reassurance letter had been received, this time from the Financial Director of SCC.  CC had repeated the Parish Council’s requirement for documented financial control, regulation, governance, policy or procedure which demonstrates the specific preservation and disbursement of s106 funds. PH as County Councillor, chair of the Halecombe Quarry Liaison Group and a member of the SCC Scrutiny for Policies & Place Committee, has been asked to pursue this information directly.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

PH

 

 

 

11.3/14

Training – there is an ongoing need for VB and KP to attend a Councillors training course and the Clerk will inform them when the next training session is to take place.  This is likely to be in the New Year.

 

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

19.2.3/14

Solar Farm at Soho Farm, Leigh-on-Mendip - The Clerk had contacted Mells Park Trust regarding the community benefit contribution of £2,000 per year and had responded to their request for details as to how the money would be spent.  To date the money has not been received and the Clerk was asked to chase this.

 

 

 

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

20.2.1/14

Amalgamation of Cemetery and PC accounts - The Clerk reported that on receipt of the most recent bank statement it was obvious that Nat West had amalgamated the two accounts as requested although nothing had been received in writing – complete.

 

 

 

 

21.1/14

St Giles’ Yew Trees – it was noted that work on the yew trees is due to start on 3 November. – complete.

 

 

 

 

21.3/14

Rules and Regulations for Cemeteries and Burial Grounds – the Clerk confirmed that a Burial Register Book had been purchased.  The Clerk is investigating rules and regulations for cemeteries and burial grounds.

 

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

22.2/14

Disciplinary and Grievance Policy – DM had found a suitable Grievance Policy which would be distributed for comment and adopted at the next meeting.

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

23/14

Repositioning of Dog Bin adjacent to the church – the Clerk reported that she had been contacted by the householder regarding the bin which had not been reattached to the pole.  DS agreed to investigate and consider a new location for the bin - ongoing

 

 

 

 

DS

 

 

 

34.1.1/14

2014/0796/FUL Erection of 7 Residential dwellings including biomass heating system at Grove Shute Farm, Leigh-on-Mendip – roof materials - CC had sent round a ‘satellite’ view of neighbouring properties showing the majority of red clay roofing.

 

 

 

 

34.1.2/14

2014/00034/REF – Erection of a single wind turbine at Rockhouse Farm Chantry.  Appeal reference APP/Q3305/A/14/2222024 - It was noted that a letter had been received from the Planning Inspectorate stating that the Inspector would attend the site on 14 October however because of the weather conditions on that day the inspection had been postponed to 4 November at 10.30 a.m.

 

 

 

 

34.1.3/14

Disused Quarry at the top of Whitehole Hill – Enforcement number ENF/2013/0368 - CC had reported that a response is still awaited from the Enforcement Officer - ongoing

 

 

CC

 

 

 

35.3/14

External Audit – the Clerk had placed the appropriate notice on the noticeboards regarding the availability of the accounts for viewing  - complete

 

 

 

 

36.1/14

Grass Cutting – the Clerk reported that on two occasions grass cutting had been carried out by the Landscape Group before our own contractor arrived.  The Clerk had contacted the Landscape Group in an attempt to prevent this happening again.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

36.3/14

New Cemetery – Sub Committee – CC had reported that a subcommittee meeting had been held on 13 October which was attended by CC, DS, David Pattison and Kevin Newbury with apologies from AB.  The main conclusion was that the civil engineering costs for the parking area etc. could be prohibitive and so consideration should be given to getting a feel for this before spending money on surveys.  Actions had been placed and the next meeting will take place on 13 November

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

37.2/14

Policies for Adoption – the Clerk had amended the dates of the policies to reflect the date of the meeting and added the date for review.  On reissue they are to be sent to CC to be placed on the website

       

 

 

 Clerk

 

 

 

37.3/14

Accident/Incident Book – it was agreed that the Health and Safety policy should state ‘ in lieu of an incident book, looseleaf sheets are held by the Clerk in a suitable folder’

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

38.3/14

Wildflower Meadow Project (Somerset Wildlife Trust) – the Clerk reported that she had attended a presentation on 17 September by the Somerset Wildlife Trust.  The Clerk had arranged for the Trust to make a short presentation to the Parish Council on 17 November

 

 

 

 

39.1/14

PCSO Meeting – GN agreed to invite the PCSO to have their meeting in Leigh-on-Mendip in January.  It was noted that the next Steering Group meeting will take place in Coleford.

 

 

 

 

39.2.1/14

Footpaths – DS had spoken to Simon Biddlecombe about clearing the overgrowth in Church Drain.  CC had given details of the landowner to DS - complete

 

 

 

 

39.2.2/14

Footpaths – CC had stated that he would keep an eye on footpaths FR8/32, 32 and 34 (stiles 69-77).  Details of volunteers to be given to CC by DS for the website.

 

 

DS

 

 

 

39.2.3/14

Footpaths – Stile 75 – this stile had been repaired by Mendip Ramblers - complete

 

 

 

 

39.2.4/14

Footpaths – DS had spoken to Brian Loten - complete

 

 

 

 

30.2.5/14

Footpaths – Health & Safety – DS had looked into the question of risk when volunteers become involved in footpath clearance - complete

 

 

 

 

39.3/14

Highways – CC had reported that Highways had been asked to inspect the pavements and some patch repairs had been completed.  CC will confirm when a full resurfacing is planned.

 

 

CC

 

 

 

39.8.214

Quarry – DS had reported to the company the fact that two lorries had been observed driving through the village on 11 September - complete

 

 

 

 

49/14

DISTRICT AND COUNTY COUNCILLORS REPORTS

 

 

 

 

49.1/14

County – PH made the following points

 

 

 

 

 

·                     Budget savings of £32m to be found next year plus £7m currently over budget

 

 

 

 

 

·                     Possible cuts to mobile library service – consultation to be carried out

 

 

 

 

 

·                     Any Sunday ‘bus services may be cut

 

 

 

 

 

·                     Highways currently under pressure due to lack of staff and problems created by flooding last winter.  Hinckley Point also starting to create problems for Highways engineers

 

 

 

 

 

 

·                     Promoted Rivers Board to look after Somerset rivers may require an additional precept to be paid

 

 

 

 

 

·                     Waste collections – currently problems in recruiting drivers

 

 

 

 

 

·                     Quarry Long Term Management Fund – PH will chase this

PH

 

 

 

49.2/14

District – PH made the following points

 

 

 

 

 

·                     Budget £1.4m

 

 

 

 

 

·                     Reviewing Leisure facilities all over the country with a view to appointing an organisation to run leisure facilities in Mendip.  Four applicants have been shortlisted.  These facilities will not be subsidised.

 

 

 

 

 

·                     Hub is moving forward, police hope to have moved in before Christmas.

 

 

 

 

 

·                     Local plan basically accepted and now starting phase 2 which will consider the village plans. 

 

 

 

 

 

·                     Planning application for Cookswood Quarry Holiday Park in Stoke St Michael has been passed

 

 

 

 

 

·                     Planning Board has thrown out the latest planning process and will run with the current system.  The Planning Board will discuss again at the next meeting.

 

 

 

 

 

·                     Wellbeing Grants – last year gave a sum to pump track development.  DM to find out what is happening about this and inform PH

 

 

DM

 

 

 

 

·                     Legacy fund – PH to meet with VH

PH/VH

 

 

 

50/14

PLANNING

 

 

 

 

50.1/14

Status of Current Applications

 

 

 

 

50.1.1/14

2014/0796/FUL Erection of 7 residential dwellings including biomass heating system and associated development, Grove Shute Farm, Tadhill, Leigh-on-Mendip

 

 

 

 

 

Nick Hiscox attended the meeting and updated the Parish Council on the current status of this application.  It was noted that the reasons for refusal of the application were

 

 

 

 

 

·                     Location (outside development limits)

 

 

·                     Materials (which can be overcome)

 

 

·                     Lack of affordable housing, seven dwellings as proposed should include two affordable units.

 

 

 

 

 

NH stated that to make the application viable would mean dropping all the sustainability measures and asked the Parish Council to consider their response if the application was resubmitted without the sustainability measures to include two affordable units.

 

 

 

 

 

It was agreed that Parish Councillors would seek the views of the people they represent.  Further discussions would take place at the next meeting in November with a view to making a statement in response to NH.

 

 

 

ALL

 

 

 

50.1.2/14

2014/1747/FBC Replace existing roof and glazed walls to the rear conservatory at Fox Hollow, Leigh-on-Mendip for Mr F Higgins

 

 

 

 

 

This application was discussed.  GN proposed and DS seconded that the application should be recommended for approval.  This was agreed unanimously.  The Clerk was asked to inform MDC.

 

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

50.1.3/14

2014/3020/FUL Replace existing bungalow with a new dormer bungalow, Green Shutters, Leigh-on-Mendip for Mr David Sparkes

 

 

 

 

 

DS declared an interest in this item and abstained.  As a result the meeting was not quorate.  The Clerk was asked to contact MDC to see if an extension to the response date could be granted.  If not an extra meeting would have to be held before the end of the month.

 

 

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

50.1.4/14

Status of Current Applications

 

 

 

 

 

It was noted that the following planning applications were still pending

 

 

 

 

 

·                     Diversion of footpath around Solar Farm

 

 

·                     Knapp Hill Farm – proposed extension to barn

 

 

·                     Pump Track – status not known

 

 

 

 

51/14

FINANCE

 

 

 

 

51.1/14

Financial Statement – statement to 20.10.14 was agreed and signed

 

 

 

 

51.2/14

Cheques signed

 

 

 

 

 

·                     Clerk’s Salary for September 2014 - £168.56, Payscale 18 from 01.04.14

 

 

 

 

 

 

52/14

CEMETERY MATTERS

 

 

 

 

52.1/14

New Cemetery

 

 

 

 

52.1.1/14

DS reported to the Council on the recent subcommittee meeting and stated that because the land falls away on that corner the cost of installing a lay by may be more than first envisaged.  DS was given the name and contact details for Colin Turner from Coleford who would be able to provide a rough quotation for installation of a layby.

 

 

 

 

 

DS

 

 

 

52.1.2/14

Kevin Newbury had received a quotation from a Chartered Surveyor for £250 + VAT to undertake the land valuation and CC requested that the Parish Council approve this expenditure.  This was approved.

 

 

 

CC

 

 

 

52.1.3/14

It was understood that Jo Hudson was in communication with CC regarding sale of land to support the proposed new cemetery.

 

CC

 

 

 

52.1.4/14

It was noted that Western Power are visiting on 23 October to look at the pole which sits just outside the site.

 

CC

 

 

 

53/14

St Giles’ Church – Letter from English Heritage

 

 

 

 

53.1/14

The Clerk had been asked by Rev Anthony Dickson to inform the Parish Council of the contents of a letter received from English Heritage regarding St Giles’ Church. 

 

 

 

 

53.2/14

The letter stated that following the last quinquennial Inspection Report which showed possible significant problems with the fabric of the building, a member of the Heritage at Risk team had visited the church to carry out an independent assessment.  The conclusion was that the historic fabric of the building is a risk of failure or total loss and St Giles’ is therefore eligible for inclusion on the 2014 Heritage at Risk Register.

 

 

 

 

53.3/14

The Council noted the situation and stands ready to support the PCC when their plan for a way ahead is formulated. 

 

 

 

 

54/14

COUNCILLORS REPORTS

 

 

 

 

54.1/14

PCSO – nothing to report

 

 

 

 

54.2/14

Footpaths  

 

 

 

 

54.2.1/14

The Clerk had received an email from John Davis giving a list of those footpaths for which he would be responsible.  The Clerk will forward this to DS.

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

 

 

 

54.2.2/14

It was agreed that DS would approach Brian Loten to see what his duties used to be with reference to footpaths with a view to inviting someone to take on the job of patrolling and carrying out minor maintenance and then paying them a small stipend from the solar panel fund.  PH stated that Coleford Parish do something similar whereby a report is given to the Parish Council in the spring and autumn with details of the condition of the footpaths and any action that needs to be taken.  Major items of maintenance are reported to SCC.  PH will send DS a sample report. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

DS

PH

 

 

 

 54.3/14

Highways – CC had reported that he had requested SCC to review the signage on the Old Wells Road following a fatal accident in September.  SCC is currently awaiting the police report. 

 

 

 

CC

 

 

 

54.4/14

Recreation Field – nothing to report

 

 

 

 

54.5/14

Memorial Hall – Quiz night to take place on Saturday 25 October. 

 

 

 

 

54.6/14

School – GN stated that she would approach the school reference any grant requirement

 

 

 

 

54.7/14

SALC – nothing to report.

 

 

 

 

54.8/14

Quarry

 

 

 

 

54.8.1/14

DS stated that he had reported the lorries which had been seen travelling through the village late one evening and this is likely to be discussed at the Quarry Liaison Meeting.  It was reported that there is also a lorry parked at the top of the village outside the house of the driver.  It was agreed that the quarry should be allowed to deal with this sympathetically.  If the problem continues there may be a requirement to write formally.  DS will follow this up with Lafarge.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

DS

 

 

 

54.8.2/14

Blasting – there had been reports of an unusual vibration recently although the readings had been checked and all were within parameters. 

 

 

DS

 

 

 

54.8.3/14

DS reported that approval has been given for the relocation of the tarmac plant to the lorry park.

 

 

 

 

54.9/14

Coleford Hub – next meeting 29 October. 

 

 

 

 

55/14

POINTS FROM PARISH BULLETIN

 

 

 

 

55.1/14

The following points were noted

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

·           Planning Matters – training sessions have been poorly attended.  Ideas or suggestions on how to provide a better understanding of the planning system to be sent to the Council’s Planning Manager Matt Williams

 

 

·           Online Parish Forum for Clerks – the Clerk has signed up to this project and it is hoped to start a trial later this autumn

 

 

·           Mendip Rural Forum – the next meeting will be on 10 November at 6.30 p.m. at MDC, Shepton Mallet

 

 

·           Community Health and Wellbeing Grants – applications to be made by 30 November 2014.

 

 

·           Community Funding – Edgar E Lawley Foundation small grants for Community Projects – deadline 31 October.  DM agreed to mention this to David Pattison when he speaks to him about the pump track.

 

 

 

DM

 

 

 

56/14

MEETINGS ATTENDED/TO BE ATTENDED

 

 

 

 

56.1/14

Somerset Wildlife Presentation – 17 September – the Clerk attended this and had made arrangements for a presentation to be made to the Council at the November meeting.

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

56.2/14

Shepton Mallet Hospital Presentation – 9 October.  The Clerk had attended this and gave a brief update of the vision for the future of the Shepton Mallet Hospital site which would include inpatient beds, an MIU and diagnostics.  Slides of the presentation were available if anyone wanted to see them.

 

 

 

 

56.3/14

Quarry Liaison Meeting – 29 October at 10.00 a.m

 

 

 

 

56.4/14

Hall Committee Meeting – 3 November at 7.30 p.m. followed by the AGM at 8.00 p.m.

 

 

 

 

56.5/15

Chantry Wind Turbine – Inspector’s site visit 4 November at 10.30

 

 

 

 

56.6/14

Mendip Rural Forum – 10 November at MDC, Council Chamber

 

 

 

 

56.7/14

Recreation Field Committee meeting – 10 November 7.30 p.m. in The Bell.

 

 

 

 

57/14

CORRESPONDENCE

 

 

 

 

57.1/14

The Clerk had received the following correspondence/information

 

 

 

 

 

·                     Letter from Mendip Community Transport asking for a grant towards the running costs of the charity.  The Clerk was asked to scan the letter and send round to Councillors for discussion at the next meeting

 

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

·                     Community Council for Somerset – Parish/Town Council Member Newsletter.  This newsletter is a new initiative and will be sent out regularly.  The Clerk was asked to distribute to Councillors.  It was felt that membership of the CCS would be a good idea and will be discussed at the next meeting.

 

 

 

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

 

·                     Ian Bowen, Principal Planning Officer, MDC regarding Mendip Local Plan Part 1 – Strategy and Policies – availability of Inspector’s Recommendations and Reasons.  The report and recommended main modifications may be viewed at MDC offices, at Council Access Points and on the Council’s website www.mendip.gov.uk/inspectorsreport

 

 

 

 

 

·                     Somerset Waste Partnership - Recycling and Refuse Collections – Bank Holiday Changes for Christmas and New Year 2014/15.  It was suggested that this information should be put on the website the Clerk to send to CC.

 

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

58/14

DATE AND TIME OF NEXT MEETING

 

 

 

 

58.1/14

The next meeting will take place on Monday 17 November 2014 at 7.30 p.m. in the Memorial Hall.