MINUTES

LEIGH-ON-MENDIP PARISH COUNCIL MEETING

HELD ON MONDAY 17 NOVEMBER 2014 AT 7.30 P.M. IN THE MEMORIAL HALL

 

Present

Chris Cudmore

CC

 

 

Gill Newbury

GN

 

 

David Mattick

DM

 

 

David Sparkes

DS

 

 

Kiley Pescott

KP

 

 

 

 

 

In attendance

Anthea Brooks, Clerk

AB

 

 

Val Horler, District Councillor

VH

 

 

Pippa Rayner and Jake Chant, Somerset Wildlife Trust for item  62/14 only

 

 

 

 

 

59/14

APOLOGIES

ACTIONS

 

 

 

59.1/14

Apologies were received from Vikky Batten

 

 

 

 

60/14

DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST AND DISPENSATIONS

 

 

 

 

60.1/14

DS declared an interest in agenda item 5 Planning - 2014/2030/FUL.  There were no other declarations or dispensations. 

 

 

 

 

61/14

MINUTES OF THE MEETING HELD ON 20 OCTOBER 2014

 

 

 

 

61.1/14

The minutes of the meeting held on 20 October 2014 were agreed as a true and accurate record and were signed by the Chairman.

 

 

 

 

62/14

PRESENTATION FROM SOMERSET WILDLIFE TRUST

 

 

 

 

62.1/14

Pippa Rayner, Community Engagement Officer and Jake Chant, Mendip Hills LL Advisory Officer attended the meeting and gave a talk on the parish meadows project which covers Leigh-on-Mendip and Stoke St Michael.

 

 

 

 

62.2/14

The following points were noted

 

 

 

 

 

·                97% of the UK’s species rich grasslands have been lost since WW2 so those found in the Mendip Hills are particularly precious

 

 

 

 

 

·                Through the Save Our Magnificent Meadows project funding is available from the Heritage Lottery Fund to run events in target parishes in the Mendip Hills. 

 

 

 

 

 

·                Leigh-on-Mendip has been chosen because of the presence of species-rich grasslands and potential opportunities to link up and buffer remaining sites.

 

 

 

 

 

·                It is hoped to identify opportunities in the parish for projects for which support can be provided

 

 

 

 

 

·                Examples of projects include creating a meadow somewhere in the village, helping school children to grow wildflower plug plants, bringing wildflowers to the churchyard and managing local verges to provide wildflowers for bumblebees and butterflies.

 

 

 

 

62.3/14

Maps of the village and surrounding areas were distributed and areas of habitat of particular interest were identified.  Areas for potential projects were discussed such as the small pieces of land which are council owned, land for extension to the cemetery, quarry restoration projects, edges of the recreation field and around the village signs.

 

 

 

 

62.4/14

The following actions were suggested/agreed

 

 

 

 

 

·                     GN to discuss possible projects with the school

GN

 

·                     DS to discuss possible projects with the quarry

DS

 

·                     It was agreed that Somerset Wildlife Trust would make a summary of the Save our Magnificent Meadows project and send it to the Clerk who would then distribute it to village organisations such as the WI, LOMCA, Recreation Field Management Committee and the school.

 

 

 

 

 

Clerk

 

·                     Consideration to be given to the restoration of habitats adjacent to Leigh Wood which are identified as being of particular interest.  DS will speak to Rick Massey

 

 

DS

 

·                     Consideration to be given to the scrub areas in Barnsclose Quarry

 

 

 

 

62.5/14

Jake and Pippa were thanked for their attendance.  They then left the meeting.

 

 

 

 

63/14

MATTERS ARISING FROM THE MINUTES OF 20 OCTOBER 2014

 

 

 

 

04.1/14

Declarations of Interest and Dispensations – MDC website needs to be updated with VB and KP declarations.  The Clerk has sent VB a new declaration to complete.  The Clerk will send the information on KP to MDC.

 

 

 

Clerk/VB

 

 

 

04.7/14

Emergency Planning – GN will circulate the template - ongoing

GN

 

 

 

04.20/14

Noticeboard (adjacent to Herbert Dun House) – refurbishment – DS was asked to obtain a idea of costs for replacing this noticeboard from Simon Thomas.

 

 

DS

 

 

 

05.2/14

Community Environment Fund – It was agreed to apply for a grant towards a new Noticeboard. VH gave CC a form to be completed and returned to her as soon as possible.

 

CC

 

 

 

09.8.1/14

Quarry – Long Term Management Fund – CC reported that he had received an email from Philip Higginbottom however the evidence required is still not available.  It was agreed that CC would look at national policies.  PH will be following this up at SCC.

 

 

 

 

PH

 

 

 

11.3/14

Training – there is an ongoing need for VB and KP to attend a Councillors training course and the Clerk will inform them when the next training session is to take place. - ongoing

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

19.2.3/14

Solar Farm at Soho Farm, Leigh-on-Mendip - The Clerk reported that she had received the £2,000 community benefit contribution and this had been paid into the bank account.

 

 

 

 

 

21.3/14

Rules and Regulations for Cemeteries and Burial Grounds – the Clerk confirmed that a Burial Register Book had been purchased.  The Clerk is investigating rules and regulations for cemeteries and burial grounds.

 

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

22.2/14

Disciplinary and Grievance Policy –  to be adopted and distributed and included on the website

 

Clerk

 

 

 

23/14

Repositioning of Dog Bin adjacent to the church – It was agreed that DS would speak to the Landlord of the Bell about attaching the Dog Bin to the wall outside the pub car park.

 

 

DS

 

 

 

34.1.3/14

Disused Quarry at the top of Whitehole Hill – Enforcement number ENF/2013/0368 - CC had reported that a response is still awaited from the Enforcement Officer - ongoing

 

 

CC

 

 

 

37.2/14

Policies for Adoption – the Clerk had amended the dates of the policies to reflect the date of the meeting and added the date for review.  The policies had been put on the website – complete

 

 

 

 

37.3/14

Accident/Incident Book – it was agreed that the Health and Safety policy should state ‘in lieu of an incident book, looseleaf sheets are held by the Clerk in a suitable folder’. 

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

39.2.2/14

Footpaths – to be discussed as a separate agenda item

 

 

 

 

39.3/14

Highways – CC reported that he had thanked Highways for patching the pavements and now awaited confirmation of when a full repair is to be carried out – ongoing.

 

 

CC

 

 

 

49.1/14

Quarry Long Term Management Fund – as discussed, action is with PH (09.8.1/14)

 

 

 

 

49.2/14

Wellbeing Grants – it was reported that PH had met with David Pattison regarding the grant made to the pump track development

 

 

 

 

49.2/14

Legacy Fund – PH to meet with VH

 

 

 

 

50.1.1/14

2014/0796/FUL Erection of 7 residential dwellings including biomass heating system and associated development, Grove Shute Farm, Tadhill, Leigh-on-Mendip

 

 

 

 

 

·                Views had been sought from the immediate neighbours on their reaction if the application was resubmitted without the sustainability measures and to include two affordable units.

 

 

 

 

 

·                It was reported that there were no strong feelings either way regarding the sustainability measures. There would be positive impacts with no bio-mass deliveries and the private housing could be less expensive for families to buy.  Original concerns such as the extra traffic arising from the development were repeated.

 

 

 

 

 

·                It was agreed that CC would reply to Nick Hiscox

CC

 

·          

 

52.1.1/14

New Cemetery – a rough quotation had been received from Colin Turner - complete

 

 

 

 

52.1.12/14

New Cemetery – When agreement is reached on the piece of land to be valued a Chartered Surveyor will be involved - completed

 

 

 

 

52.1.3/14

CC reported that he and David Pattison would be meeting with Jo Hudson on 24 November

 

CC

 

 

 

52.1.4/14

Western Power had visited the site - complete

 

 

 

 

54.2.2/14

Footpaths – PH was going to let DS have a sample of the report which is sent to Coleford PC.  DS will mention this to PH when he next sees him.

 

 

DS

 

 

 

54.3/14

Highways – Old Frome Road signage – CC is currently waiting for a response from SCC.

 

CC

 

 

 

54.8.1/14

Quarry – DS had reported the problem regarding the parked lorry to Lafarge - complete

 

 

 

 

54.8.2/14

Blasting – this had been reported - complete

 

 

 

 

55.1/14

Parish Bulletin – Edgar Lawley Foundation – DM had mentioned this source of funding to David Pattison who was already aware of it - complete

 

 

 

 

57.1/14

Mendip Community Transport – separate item on agenda

 

 

 

 

 

57.1/14

Community Council for Somerset – it was understood that the Memorial Hall were members of this organisation.  The Clerk was asked to check if this is correct and if so ask for information to be passed on.

 

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

57.1/14

Somerset Waste Partnership – information about Christmas/New Year refuse and recycling has been put on the website and in the telephone box - complete

 

 

 

 

64/14

DISTRICT AND COUNTY COUNCILLORS REPORTS

 

 

 

 

63.1/14

There were no reports available

 

 

 

 

65/14

PLANNING

 

 

 

 

65.1/14

2014/3020/FUL Replace existing bungalow with a new dormer bungalow, Green Shutters, Leigh-on-Mendip for Mr David Sparkes

 

 

 

 

65.1.1/14

DS left the room for this item.  The application was noted as being that of a replacement bungalow with a similar footprint to that which is already there.  The entrance will be improved to make it safer.  The building will be 2 metres higher than the existing.

 

 

 

 

65.1.2/14

It was proposed by DM and seconded by GN to recommend approval of the application because it is a replacement of an existing building in a similar style in a secluded location with an improved safety of the access.  Agreed unanimously.  The Clerk was asked to inform MDC.

 

 

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

65.2/14

2014/2092/HSE Extension to existing stables within the domestic curtilage of a dwelling, Hollybush Cottage, Leigh-on-Mendip for Mr Chris Gould

 

 

 

 

65.2..1/14

The application was discussed.  KP proposed and DM seconded recommending approval of the application because it is an insignificant extension compatible to existing stabling.  The Clerk was asked to inform MDC.

 

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

65.3/14

Status of Current Application

 

 

 

 

65.1.1/14

Chantry Wind Turbine – DM/DS and CC had been present for the Inspectors visit which took some time and included all the vantage points as mentioned in the Parish Council’s letter including the top of Cranmore Tower.  It is anticipated that a response will not be available until the New Year.

 

 

 

 

65.1.2/14

Torr Works Turbines – a notification of appeal had been received regarding the proposed 4 turbines at Torr Works which had previously been refused by Mendip.  It was agreed not to respond.

 

 

 

 

66/14

FINANCE

 

 

 

 

66.1/14

Financial Statement – statement to 17.11.14 was agreed and signed

 

 

 

 

66.2/14

Cheques signed

 

 

 

 

 

·                     Clerk’s Salary for September 2014 - £183.02, Payscale 18 from 01.04.14

 

 

·                     Mr A Cross – grass cutting churchyard and cemetery £650.00,  The Clerk was asked to write and thank Mr Cross and ask for a quotation for next year

 

 

Clerk

 

·                     Shepton Mallet Landscapes – grass cutting Recreation Field £576.00.  The clerk was asked to write and thank Mr Brown and ask for a quotation for next year

 

 

Clerk

 

·                     Mendip Community Transport – grant of £50.00

 

 

·                     Leigh-on-Mendip Memorial Hall – grant of £200.00

 

 

 

 

66.2/14

Budget – CC had produced a draft budget which all Councillors were asked to consider for further discussions at the next meeting.

 

 

ALL

 

 

 

66.3/14

Asset Register – it was agreed that DM would review the asset register with the Clerk and decisions made on any items which were no longer required.

 

 

DM/Clerk

 

 

 

66.3/14

GRANTS

 

 

 

 

66.3.1/14

Mendip Community Transport – it was proposed by DM and seconded by DS, agreed unanimously, to award Mendip Community Transport a grant of £50.  The Clerk will send the cheque and an accompanying letter.

 

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

66.3.2/14

Memorial Hall – it was proposed by GN, seconded by KP, agreed unanimously to award the Memorial Hall a grant of £200 towards the refurbishment of the floor.  The Clerk will send the cheque with an accompanying letter.

 

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

66.3.3/14

Recreation Field – it was noted that £1500 is already earmarked for the pump track with another £500 to be allocated next year.  The Clerk reported that the Recreation Field Committee intend to renew various signs and replace with metal rather than plastic.  It was agreed that consideration could be given to a grant towards this and the Clerk will contact them to ascertain the cost involved.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

66.3.4/14

School – GN reported that the school are considering the purchase of a picnic bench which would allow children to work outside when the weather is nice.  GN will find out the cost for the next meeting.

 

 

 

GN

 

 

 

67/14

CEMETERY MATTERS

 

 

 

 

67.1/14

Current Cemetery

 

 

 

 

67.1.1/14

AB reported that one of the graves has sunk and is causing a trip hazard.  It was agreed that this should marked to prevent accidents.  DM will acquire some tiger tape and DS will inspect the problem.

 

 

DM/DS

 

 

 

 

67.2/14

New Cemetery

 

 

 

 

67.2.1/14

CC reported that a meeting of the sub-committee had taken place.  Jo Hudson from Ivy Cottage may be interested in selling some land adjacent to the present churchyard.  CC and David Pattison will be meeting her on 24 November

 

 

 

CC

 

 

 

67.2.2/14

Some rough estimates of costs for the work on Option I including moving the electricity pole had been considered.    The next meeting of the subcommittee will be held on 26 November.

 

 

 

 

 

 

68/14

REVIEW/ADOPTION OF THE FOLLOWING

 

 

 

 

 

·                     Financial regulations including banking arrangements and payment procedure

 

 

·                     Standing Orders

 

 

·                     Code of Conduct

 

 

 

 

68.1/14

It was agreed that Councillors should read these and suggest any amendments which can be considered at the next meeting. 

 

 

 

 

68.2/14

It was agreed that the Clerk would find the new model for Standing Orders and Financial Regulations on the SALC website.

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

68.3/14

The Code of Conduct was adopted with the proviso that the Clerk would check the SALC model to make sure there are no significant changes.

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

68.4/14

It was agreed that Review of Cemetery Fees should be included in the risk assessment

 

Clerk

 

 

 

69/14

COUNCILLORS REPORTS

 

 

 

 

69.1/14

PCSO – GN stated that she would attend the next meeting but the date is not yet known.

 

 

 

 

69.2/14

Footpaths 

 

 

 

 

69.2.1/14

It was noted that there had been a response to the advertisement asking parishioners to adopt footpaths.  DS stated that he would provide people with a map and some guidance notes asking them to report problems such as broken stiles.  It was suggested that adopters of paths should walk them at least twice a year.  GN and KP stated that they would inform DS of the paths that they would adopt.

 

 

 

 

 

 

DS

 

 

 

69.2.2/14

It was agreed to list the footpaths on the website showing those that had been adopted but without identifying names.  It was agreed to discuss a possible stipend for someone to check the footpaths biannually at the next meeting.

 

 

 

DS

 

 

 

 69.3/14

Highways – CC reported that there will be a road closure at Townsend Lane at the beginning of December   

 

 

 

 

 

69.4/14

Recreation Field – the Clerk had attended the Recreation Field meeting.  It was noted that representations are to be made to PH about the progress of the pump track.  If nothing is happening at the beginning of the New Year consideration will be given to returning to the original approved skatepark planning application.

 

 

 

 

69.5/14

Memorial Hall – the AGM has taken place.  The quiz night was very successful. 

 

 

 

 

69.6/14

School – it was noted that the flashing lights are being reprogrammed

 

 

 

 

69.7/14

SALC – the Clerk was asked to find out from SALC if a date for the next East area meeting has been agreed.

 

Clerk

 

 

 

69.8/14

Quarry

 

 

 

 

69.8.1/14

DS stated that the Quarry Liaison meeting had taken place on 29 October.  An inspection from a Government agency on health and safety had been carried out and no environmental issues had been identified and both plants are considered to be low risk.  The farmhouse has been refurbished.

 

 

 

 

69.9/14

Coleford Hub – GN will keep a watching brief on this. 

 

 

 

 

70/14

POINTS FROM PARISH BULLETIN

 

 

 

 

70.1/14

No action points.

 

 

 

 

71/14

MEETINGS ATTENDED/TO BE ATTENDED

 

 

 

 

71.1/14

Mendip Rural Forum – DS attended and reported that there was disappointment in the number attending.  A presentation took place on application of S106 policy and the fact that there should always be an idea of how the money will be spent. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

71.2/14

Community environment funds/local legacy funds – money is still available. 

 

 

 

 

71.3/14

 

A discussion took place about broadband problems but no conclusions were reached.

 

 

 

 

72/14

CORRESPONDENCE

 

 

 

 

72.1/14

The Clerk had received the following correspondence/information

 

 

 

 

 

·                     Letter from Mells Parish Council regarding poor mobile reception and asking for the support of Leigh Parish Council.  Once support is gained they will be approaching Ofcom with a proposal to improve reception in the area.  It was agreed to support this and the Clerk will respond.

 

 

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

 

·                     Somerset Minerals Plan consultation of main modifications.  This is now available for download and any comments are to be sent to SCC or mineralsandwaste@scc.gov.uk

 

 

 

 

 

·                     Somerset Library Services Consultation – Leigh-on-Mendip – the Clerk had distributed this for consideration.

 

 

 

 

 

·                     Somerset Waste Partnership – monthly briefing

 

 

 

 

 

·                     Mendip Mobile Advice Unit – email from Laura Miller, Project Coordinator asking if there are any events which the van could attend.  It was agreed to pass this onto LOMCA who might be interested

 

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

 

·                     Email from Andrew Turner, Area Highways Manager reference provision of 20kg bags of de icing material which will be available at the local depot on 22 November.  It was agreed that no further supplies are required. 

 

 

 

 

73/14

DATE AND TIME OF NEXT MEETING

 

 

 

 

73.1/14

The next meeting will take place on Monday 15 December 2014 at 7.30 p.m. in the Memorial Hall.