MINUTES

LEIGH-ON-MENDIP PARISH COUNCIL MEETING

HELD ON MONDAY 15 DECEMBER 2014 AT 7.30 P.M. IN THE MEMORIAL HALL

 

Present

Chris Cudmore

CC

 

 

Gill Newbury

GN

 

 

David Mattick

DM

 

 

David Sparkes

DS

 

 

 

 

 

In attendance

Anthea Brooks, Clerk

AB

 

 

 

 

74/14

APOLOGIES

ACTIONS

 

 

 

74.1/14

Apologies were received from Vikky Batten(VB) and Kiley Pescott(KP)

 

 

 

 

75/14

DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST AND DISPENSATIONS

 

 

 

 

75.1/14

There were no declarations of interest or dispensations. 

 

 

 

 

76/14

MINUTES OF THE MEETING HELD ON 17 NOVEMBER 2014

 

 

 

 

76.1/14

There was one amendment to the minutes of the meeting held on 17 November 2014 - Item 22.2/14 – the words ‘Disciplinary and’ were deleted.  With this alteration the minutes were agreed as a true and accurate record and signed by the Chairman.

 

 

 

 

77/14

MATTERS ARISING FROM THE MINUTES OF 17 NOVEMBER 2014

 

 

 

 

62.4/14

Wildflower Meadow Project

 

 

 

 

 

·                     GN to discuss possible projects with the school

GN

 

·                     DS had discussed this with the quarry who are already committed to this project.  The subject will be discussed at the next Quarry Liaison meeting.

 

 

 

 

·                     The Clerk had sent information to the WI, LOMCA, Recreation Field Committee and the School.

 

 

·                     DS had not been able to speak to the landowner about the restoration of habitats adjacent to Leigh Wood which are identified as being of particular interest.  DS will have another attempt at contacting the landowner.  Consideration also to be given to the scrub areas in and around Barnsclose.

 

 

 

 

 

DS

 

·                     The Clerk stated that an invitation is to be extended to the Somerset Wildlife Trust to attend the Village Fete in June.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

04.1/14

Declarations of Interest and Dispensations – MDC website needs to be updated with VB and KP declarations.  The Clerk has sent VB a new declaration to complete.  The Clerk will send the information on KP to MDC.

 

 

 

Clerk/VB

 

 

 

04.7/14

Emergency Planning – GN will send the template to DM

GN/DM

 

 

 

04.20/14

Noticeboard (adjacent to Herbert Dun House) – refurbishment – an estimate of £1500 had been received for replacement of this noticeboard from Simon Thomas.

 

 

 

 

05.2/14

Community Environment Fund – CC had sent in the form to Val Horler for a grant of £1000 towards the new noticeboard.

 

 

 

 

 

09.8.1/14

Quarry – Long Term Management Fund – CC reported that nothing further had been heard from Philip Ham.  CC stated that he had been in touch with the Planning Advisory Service based in London with queries.  A response has been received that the correspondence has been passed to a consultant for reply - ongoing

CC

 

 

 

11.3/14

Training – there is an ongoing need for VB and KP to attend a Councillors training course and the Clerk will inform them when the next training session is to take place. - ongoing

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

21.3/14

Rules and Regulations for Cemeteries and Burial Grounds – The Clerk is investigating rules and regulations for cemeteries and burial grounds - ongoing

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

22.2/14

Grievance Policy –  has been distributed and included on the website - complete

 

 

 

 

 

23/14

Repositioning of Dog Bin adjacent to the church – DS had spoken to the landlord of the Bell who did not want the dog bin on the wall outside the pub car park - complete.

 

 

 

 

34.1.3/14

Disused Quarry at the top of Whitehole Hill – Enforcement number ENF/2013/0368 - CC had reported that a response is still awaited from the Enforcement Officer - ongoing

 

 

CC

 

 

 

37.3/14

Accident/Incident Book – the Clerk had amended the Health and Safety Policy to read ‘in lieu of an incident book, looseleaf sheets are held by the Clerk in a suitable folder’ - complete 

 

 

 

 

39.3/14

Highways – CC reported that Highways had stated that the pavements are scheduled for resurfacing in the 2016/17 programme.  In the meantime any holes should be reported to Highways so that they can be patched.

 

 

 

 

49.2/14

Legacy Fund – PH to meet with VH

PH/VH

 

 

 

 

50.1.1/14

2014/0796/FUL Erection of 7 residential dwellings including biomass heating system and associated development, Grove Shute Farm, Tadhill, Leigh-on-Mendip

 

 

 

 

50.1.1/14

CC had spoken to Nick Hiscox and informed him that there were no strong feelings from immediate neighbours either way regarding the sustainability measures although there were still concerns such as the extra traffic arising from the development.

 

 

·          

 

52.1.3/14

New Cemetery  - CC reported that he and David Pattison had met with Jo Hudson on 24 November - complete

 

 

 

 

 

54.2.2/14

Footpaths – PH was going to let DS have a sample of the report which is sent to Coleford PC.  DS will mention this to PH when he next sees him - ongoing

 

 

DS

 

 

 

54.3/14

Highways – Old Frome Road signage – CC is currently waiting for a response from SCC - ongoing

 

CC

 

 

 

57.1/14

Community Council for Somerset – it was understood that the Memorial Hall were members of this organisation.  The Clerk was asked to check if this is correct and if so ask for information to be passed on - ongoing

 

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

66.2/14

Grass Cutting – Cemetery and Churchyard – the Clerk had written to Mr Cross asking for a quotation for the work for the next year - ongoing

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

66.2/14

Grass Cutting – Recreation Field  - the Clerk had written to Chris Brown at Shepton Mallet Landscapes asking for a quotation for the work for the next year - ongoing

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

66.3/14

Asset Register – it was agreed that the laptop and router should be passed to DM for inspection and a decision made as to their usefulness.  It was also agreed to consider the purchase of a cross-cut shredder at the next meeting.

 

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

66.3/1/14

66.3.2/14

Grants to Mendip Community Transport and Leigh-on-Mendip Memorial Hall –thanks had been received from both organisations

 

 

 

 

66.3.3/14

Recreation Field – the Clerk had been in contact to ask the Committee for costs on replacing the various signs on the field with metal instead of plastic with a view to providing a grant towards this.  

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

66.3.4/14

School – GN had found out the cost of a picnic bench for the school – see item 84.6/14

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

67.1.1/14

Cemetery – sunken grave – this had been inspected and was considered not to be too much of a risk.  It was agreed to ask Mr Cross to bring some top soil with him in the spring and fill in the hole.  However if the situation should deteriorate then further action will be taken to mark the area.

 

 

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

68.2/14

Standing Orders/Financial Regulations – the Clerk had obtained copies of the new models for both policies.

 

 

 

 

68.3/14

Code of Conduct – The Clerk had obtained a copy of the new model of the Code of Conduct

 

 

 

 

68.4/14

Cemetery Fees – review of Cemetery Fees will be included on the Review of Actions to take place in December each year which is when the Church of England send out the new parochial fees.

 

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

69.2.1/14

Footpaths – GN and KP had informed DS of footpaths they wish to adopt - complete

 

 

 

 

69.2.2/14

Footpaths – payment of stipend – it was agreed that as volunteers were coming forward to adopt footpaths it would not be necessary to pay a stipend to someone appointed to walk the footpaths on a regular basis

 

 

 

 

69.7/14

SALC – East Area meeting – The Clerk stated that no date for the next East area meeting had been scheduled - complete

 

 

 

 

72.1/14

Mobile Reception – the Clerk had written to Mells Parish Council supporting their approach to Ofcom with a proposal to improve reception in the area complete

 

 

 

 

72.1/14

Mendip Mobile Advice Unit – details had been passed to LOMCA by the Clerk - complete

 

 

 

 

78/14

DISTRICT AND COUNTY COUNCILLORS REPORTS

 

 

 

 

78.1/14

There were no reports available

 

 

 

 

79/14

PLANNING

 

 

 

 

79.1/14

CC reported that it has been brought to his attention that neighbours of houses/sites where there are planning applications have not been receiving letters notifying them of the application and giving them a chance to respond.  CC will email PH and VH and copy in Matt Williams the Senior Planner at MDC about this.

 

 

 

 

 

CC

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

79.2/14

2014/2394/VRC Application for variation of condition 3 (parking and turning area) planning permission 2011/1679 at Thrice Barn, Townsend Farm, Leigh-on-Mendip for Mr Neil Scott

 

 

 

 

79.2.1/14

The above application was discussed.  The following was agreed

 

 

 

 

 

·                  The Council recognised and supported the concerns of the neighbours on the opposite side of the road

 

 

 

 

 

·                  Concern was expressed about the change in angle of access and position onto the highway and it was felt that Highways should be consulted

 

 

 

 

 

·                  In the original pre-planning application the Parish Council had been in favour of parking at the rear of the property and not at the front and that view has not changed.

 

 

 

 

79.2.2/14

It was proposed by CC and seconded by DS to recommend refusal.  The Clerk was asked to inform MDC accordingly.

 

Clerk

 

 

 

79.3/14

Status of Current Application

 

 

 

 

79.3.1/14

The following applications had been approved with conditions

 

 

 

 

 

·                  2014/2030/FUL – Replacement of existing bungalow at Green Shutters, Leigh-on-Mendip

 

 

·                  2014/2092/HSE – Extension to existing stables at Holly Bush Cottage

 

 

·                  2014/1747/FBC – replacement of existing roof and glazed walls to rear conservatory at Foxhollow

 

 

 

 

80/14

FINANCE

 

 

 

 

80.1/14

Financial Statement – statement to 15.12.14 was agreed and signed

 

 

 

 

80.2/14

Cheques signed

 

 

 

 

 

·                     Clerk’s Salary for November 2014 - £181.69, Payscale 18 from 01.04.14.  It was noted that payscales for Clerks will increase by 2.2% as from 1 January 2015.

 

 

 

 

80.3/14

Budget/Precept for 2015/16

 

 

 

 

80.3.1/14

The draft budget was discussed and the following agreed

 

 

 

 

 

·                  Clerk to check budget figure for salary

Clerk

 

·                  Remove external audit fee

 

 

·                  SLCC sub should be split between two Councils now that the Clerk has become clerk to another Parish Council

 

 

·                  Hall grant budget to be £300

 

 

·                  School grant budget to be £300

 

 

·                  Recreation Field grant budget to be £500.  Grant for metal signs to be provided in this financial year.

 

 

·                  Defibrillator – see item 87.1/14

 

 

·                  Amount for footpath maintenance see item 84.2.2/14

 

 

 

 

80.3.2/14

CC agreed to update the budget in the light of the above points.  The tax base information in order to set the precept would be received from MDC later in the month but it was agreed to consider a 5% increase giving a precept figure of £6,300.  Final agreement will be made at the meeting in January.

CC

 

 

 

80.3.3/14

It was agreed that the Clerk would supply a dispensation form for signature by Councillors.

 

Clerk

 

 

 

80.4/14

Asset Register – it was agreed that those items on the asset register which had been gifted by the Parish Council to village organisations should be removed from the Register.  The items as gifted will become part of the asset register of the organisation involved.  The items are:

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

·                  Stage blocks stored at the school

 

 

·                  Slide for Recreation Field

 

 

·                  Swings for Recreation Field

 

 

·                  Log train for Recreation Field

 

 

·                  Target panel for recreation Field

 

 

 

 

80.4.1/14

See also under item 66.3/14.

 

 

 

 

81/14

CEMETERY MATTERS

 

 

 

 

81.1/14

New Cemetery

 

 

 

 

81.1./14

CC reported that this is now on hold.  CC and David Pattison had met with Jo Hudson who is considering selling a piece of her land which is adjacent to the churchyard.  She hopes to report back in approximately three months’ time with a decision.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

82/14

REVIEW/ADOPTION OF THE FOLLOWING

 

 

 

 

 

·                     Financial regulations including banking arrangements and payment procedure

 

 

·                     Standing Orders

 

 

·                     Code of Conduct

 

 

 

 

82.1/14

The Clerk had downloaded up to date models for all these documents.  DM offered to compare them with the current policies and report back to the next meeting.

 

 

DM

 

 

 

 

83/14

CONSULTATIONS

 

 

 

 

83.1/14

Mobile Library.

 

 

 

 

83.1.1/14

CC reported that the consultation document shows that there are two stops in the village at present with one showing 11 borrowers and the other zero – the intention would be to cease one of the stops.  However it is thought that the figures have not been recorded separately and there are borrowers at both stops.

 

 

 

 

83.1.2/14

CC agreed to respond to the consultation document pointing out that although the two stops are only approximately a quarter of a mile apart those people in the village who use the mobile library are not very mobile themselves.  It is therefore necessary to retain the two stops in order for these people to be able to access the library.

 

 

 

 

 

CC

 

 

 

83.2/14

Minerals Plan

 

 

 

 

83.2.1/14

It was agreed that no further comment is required on the minerals plan.

 

 

 

 

83.3/14

Bus Services

 

 

 

 

83.3.1/14

The plan proposes to stop the Saturday service which runs through Leigh-on-Mendip en route from Frome to Wells.   The observation is that the bus is used very little and it was agreed therefore to make no comment on the proposal.

 

 

 

 

83.4/14

Website

 

 

 

 

83.4.1/14

It was agreed that CC would put the consultations on the Mobile Library Service and the Bus service on the village website.

 

CC

 

 

 

84/14

COUNCILLOR REPORTS

 

 

 

 

84.1/14

PCSO – The two local PCSO’s who cover Leigh-on-Mendip are Zoe Brooks and Darren Golay.  GN reported that it is hoped that one of them would be able to attend the January council meeting.  Leigh-on-Mendip are hosting a meeting later in the year on 13 May at the Memorial Hall.  The next meeting is on 11 February at Buckland Dinham.

 

 

 

 

84.2/14

Footpaths 

 

 

 

 

84.2.1/14

DS reported that progress was being made on adoption of footpaths.  A suggestion had been made that the village should have a team of volunteer rangers not just walking footpaths, but cutting back vegetation, cleaning signs etc.  Further consideration will be given to this proposal. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

84.2.2/14

It was suggested that a sum of £200 should be included in the budget as an allowance to buy such things as High Viz jackets and thorn proof gloves.  It was also agreed that the suggestion should be discussed at the annual meeting.

 

 

 

 

84.3/14

Highways – CC reported that he had received the dates for the next SID (Speed Identification Display) in Leigh Street.

 

 

 

 

 

84.4/14

Recreation Field – it was noted that the December meeting of the committee had been cancelled, the next meeting will take place on 12 January which the Clerk will attend.  A villager has come forward to help with the planning for the pump track and it is hoped there will be an update on progress by the next Council meeting.

 

 

 

 

84.5/14

Memorial Hall – thanks were extended from the Committee for the £200 grant.  It was noted that the refrigerator needs replacing.

 

 

 

 

84.6/14

School – GN reported that the cost of the picnic bench which the school hoped to purchase was £465.00.  This will enable groups of children to work and eat outside during the better weather. A request was therefore being made to the Parish Council for a grant towards this.   It was agreed that this should be an agenda item for the next meeting.

 

 

 

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

84.7/14

SALC – no date for the next East area meeting has been agreed and the Clerk reported that SALC are looking for a volunteer to chair the East area meetings.

 

 

 

 

84.8/14

Quarry

 

 

 

 

84.8.1/14

DS stated that he had discussed the flower meadow project with the Quarry and this is ongoing.  The Village Fair will take place on Saturday 13 June 2015 and the local manager wants to support it again and will put in a bid for funding.  The Quarry will be funding the Christmas event at the school this year.

 

 

 

 

84.9/14

Coleford Hub – GN will keep a watching brief on this. 

 

 

 

 

85/14

POINTS FROM PARISH BULLETIN

 

 

 

 

85.1/14

Mendip Rural Forum – it was noted that it had been decided to hold Mendip Rural Forums on different days of the week to see if that would attract a higher attendance.  The next meeting dates are Tuesday 3 February, Thursday 4 June and Wednesday 23 September.  Items scheduled for the next meeting on 3 February include planning policy, planning process updates to include the rights of Parish Councils and neighbourhood planning.

 

 

 

 

 

86/14

MEETINGS ATTENDED/TO BE ATTENDED

 

 

 

 

86.1/14

·                  PCSO meeting attended – date of next meeting 11 February 2015

 

 

·                  Recreation Field – 12 January 2015

 

 

·                  Rural Forum – 3 February 2015

 

 

 

 

87/14

CORRESPONDENCE

 

 

 

 

87.1/14

The Clerk had received the following correspondence and information

 

 

 

 

 

·                     Community Council for Somerset – Thatch Newsletter.  Neighbourhood Planning – the Reality.  CCS and SALC are planning to hold workshops in February and March to look at neighbourhood planning after which it is hoped to create a network of support and sharing.  It was agreed that the Clerk should email the Parish Council’s interest in these workshops.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

 

·                     Community Council for Somerset – Thatch Newsletter.  Defibrillators.  The South Western Ambulance Service Trust are looking to fund publicly accessible defibrillators across Somerset.  The ambition is to make sure that all Somerset communities have access to a defibrillator and funding available to do this.  It was agreed that the Clerk would email CCS to let them know of our interest in this project.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

 

·                     Email from Somerset County Council regarding he Somerset Local Access Forum – recruitment of new members

 

 

 

 

88/14

DATE AND TIME OF NEXT MEETING

 

 

 

 

88.1/14

The next meeting will take place on Monday 19 January 2015 at 7.30 p.m. in the Memorial Hall.