MINUTES

LEIGH-ON-MENDIP PARISH COUNCIL MEETING

HELD ON MONDAY 16 FEBRUARY 2015 AT 7.30 P.M. IN THE MEMORIAL HALL

 

Present

Chris Cudmore

CC

 

 

Gill Newbury

GN

 

 

David Mattick

DM

 

 

Kiley Pescott

KP

 

 

 

 

 

In attendance

Anthea Brooks, Clerk

AB

 

 

Val Horler, District Councillor

VH

 

 

Simon Thomas (item 114/14)

 

 

 

 

 

105/14

APOLOGIES

ACTIONS

 

 

 

105.1/14

Apologies were received from Vikki Batten (VB), David Sparkes (DS) and Phil Ham, District and County Councillor (PH)

 

 

 

 

106/14

DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST AND DISPENSATIONS/REQUESTS FOR RECORDING

 

 

 

 

106.1/14

CC declared an interest in Planning Applications 2015/0225/HSE and 2015/0235/HSE.   There were no dispensations.  It was noted that the meeting could be recorded if requested.

 

 

 

 

107/14

MINUTES OF THE MEETING HELD ON 19 JANUARY 2015

 

 

 

 

107.1/14

The minutes of the meeting held on 19 January 2015 were agreed as a true and accurate record and signed by the Chairman.

 

 

 

 

108/14

MATTERS ARISING FROM THE MINUTES OF 19 JANUARY 2015

 

 

 

 

62.4/14

Wildflower Meadow Project

 

 

 

 

 

·                The Clerk had sent information to the WI, LOMCA, the Recreation Field Committee and the school - complete.

 

 

 

 

 

 

·                DS had been unable to speak to the landowner about the restoration of habitats adjacent to Leigh Wood which are identified as being of particular interest but will continue to try and make contact - ongoing

 

 

 

DS

 

 

 

 

 

·                The Clerk reported that Somerset Wildlife Trust will be holding a Magnificent Meadows Meet and Eat at the Earth Science Centre on 24 February.  All those who wished to attend should inform the Clerk who will pass the information on to Somerset Wildlife

 

 

 

 

Clerk

 

04.1/14

Declarations of Interest and Dispensations – the Clerk has sent KP information to the MDC website The Clerk has sent VB a new declaration to complete. 

 

 

Clerk/VB

 

 

 

04.7/14

Emergency Planning – DM had provided a draft plan for consideration.  It was agreed to add in information about a contingency plan in the event of a heavy snowfall. Once DM has updated the plan he will distribute to Councillors for further consideration.

 

 

 

DM

 

 

 

09.8.1/14

Quarry – Long Term Management Fund – CC reported that he had received a letter back from Philip Higginbottom at SCC on 27 January who wrote at the Chief Executives’ request to finally provide as much reassurance as they are able to although no documentation has been produced.  SCC have asked the Parish Council to state whether they are now in receipt of adequate reassurance or that it does not oppose the payment now being made as SCC intend to approach Lafarge Tarmac again shortly to obtain the S106 monies.  CC stated that he would discuss this further with PH.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

CC/PH

 

 

 

11.3/14

Training – the Clerk will make sure that VB and KP are informed of any available training dates later in the summer - ongoing

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

21.3/14

Rules and Regulations for Cemeteries and Burial Grounds – The Clerk is investigating rules and regulations for cemeteries and burial grounds - ongoing

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

34.1.3/14

Disused Quarry at the top of Whitehole Hill – Enforcement number ENF/2013/0368 - CC reported that the Enforcement Officer has written to the landowner but has received no reply.  He will make arrangements to call on him – ongoing.

 

 

CC

 

 

 

54.3/14

Highways – Old Frome Road signage – CC is awaiting a response from Highways - ongoing

 

CC

 

 

 

57.1/14

Community Council for Somerset – DM reported that the Memorial Hall are members of the Community Council and will pass on information to the Council as necessary - complete

 

 

 

 

66.2/14

Grass Cutting – Cemetery and Churchyard – the Clerk had written to Mr Cross asking for a quotation for the work for the next year which had been received.

 

 

 

 

 

 

66.2/14

Grass Cutting – Recreation Field - the Clerk had written to Shepton Mallet Landscapes informing them that the contract for grass cutting on the Recreation Field has been extended for the 2015 season.  The Clerk had also informed the Recreation Field Management Committee of the decision.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

66.3/14

Asset Register – the laptop and router had been passed to DM for inspection for a decision to be made about their usefulness.  The Clerk had purchased a suitable cross cut shredder and the asset register would be updated accordingly.

 

 

 

DM/Clerk

 

 

 

66.3.3/14

Recreation Field – costs had been received from the Recreation Field for the replacement of various signs on the field with metal instead of plastic - complete 

 

 

 

 

 

 

67.1.1/14

Cemetery – sunken grave – The Clerk has asked Mr Cross to bring in some top soil in the spring to fill in the hole.  However if the situation should deteriorate then further action will be taken to mark the area - ongoing

 

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

68.4/14

Cemetery Fees – the Clerk had informed undertakers of the decision that Cemetery Fees would increase in line with the Parochial Fees as issued by the Church of England from 1 January 2015 - complete

 

 

 

 

79.1/14

CC reported that Matt Williams the Senior Planner at MDC had agreed that planning documents should give the names of those who have been consulted about planning applications in order to make sure that all those who need to be informed and who may have an opinion have been contacted.

 

 

 

 

 

80.3.1/14

Budget – Clerk Salary – CC reported that he had met with the Clerk and the budget figure had been agreed.  The Council agreed to review the Clerk’s hours at the next meeting.

 

 

 

 

 

95.5/14

Proposed installation of 25m high lattice tower mobile phone based at land west of Dores Farm, Leigh-on-Mendip by Arqiva Services Ltd – CC reported that he had written to both Coleford and Mells Parish Councils about this application as neither had been informed. 

 

 

 

 

96.1.2/14

2014/2691/FUL extension to existing bottling plant building and construction of new storage building at Whitehole Farm

The Clerk had obtained an extension to the deadline for response and this will be discussed later on the agenda.

 

 

 

 

97.5/14

Precept – The Clerk confirmed that the Precept request for £6,500 had been submitted to MDC

 

 

 

 

99.4/14

Adopted Policies – CC confirmed that all adopted policies were now on the village website.

 

 

 

 

100.6/14

School – CC confirmed that he had emailed SCC Highways with a copy to GN and the school, about the problem with the Wig Wag by the Bell which is not working correctly. 

 

 

 

 

100.7/14

SALC – the East area meeting had been postponed until 19 February at Wanstrow Village Hall.  CC will attend.

 

 

 

 

100.9/14

Coleford Hub – GN confirmed that she had attended the launch event

 

 

 

 

101.1/14

Parish Magazines and Newsletters – the Clerk had provided information to MDC with contact details for the parish magazine.

 

 

 

 

101.2/14

Mendip Rural Forum – took place on 3 February and CC attended 

 

 

 

 

109/14

DISTRICT AND COUNTY COUNCILLORS REPORTS

 

 

 

 

109.1/14

There was no County Councillors report available.

 

 

 

 

109.2/14

VH gave a District Councillors report and made the following points

 

 

·             £800 grant towards the noticeboard had been made (the Clerk confirmed receipt)

 

 

·             The planning application for Thrice Barn is likely to go to the Planning Board

 

 

·             The Local Plan has been challenged by a developer which will mean a delay to the start of Part II.  However all applications being considered are being dealt with within the adopted plan

 

 

·             Coffee morning at Mendip Country Practice, Coleford on 28 February to meet the nurses who went to Kenya last year.

 

 

 

 

110/14

PLANNING – New Applications

 

 

 

 

110.1/14

2014/2691/FUL extension to existing bottling plant building and construction of new storage building at Whitehole Farm, Whitehole Hill, Leigh-on-Mendip for Mr John Patch

 

 

 

 

110.1.1/14

The Council considered this application.  It was proposed by CC, seconded by DM and agreed unanimously to recommend approval as there was no visual impact from the application and it would help improve the local economy.

 

 

 

 

110.1.2/14

The Clerk was asked to inform MDC of the decision of the Council

 

Clerk

 

 

 

110.2/14

2015/0225/HSE Construct single storey lean-to on west elevation, construct lean-to garage and car port on south elevation and single storey sun room extension on the west elevation at Crossways, Townsend, Leigh-on-Mendip for Mr and Mrs M Taylor

 

 

 

 

110.2.1/14

The Chairman declared an interest in this item and left the room. The Vice Chairman took the chair for the discussion.  It was proposed by KP and seconded by GN and agreed unanimously to recommend approval as there is no significant impact, including visual impact, from the application.

 

 

 

 

110.2.2/14

The Clerk was asked to inform MDC of the decision of the Council

 

Clerk

 

 

 

110.3/14

2015/0235/HSE Single storey extension on east elevation to Clove Cottage, Tadhill, Leigh-on-Mendip and Mr and Mrs M. Taylor

 

 

 

 

110.3.1/14

The Chairman declared an interest in this item and left the room.  The Vice Chairman took the chair for the discussion.  It was proposed by DM, seconded by KP and agreed unanimously to recommend approval as there is no significant impact, including visual impact, from the application.

 

 

 

 

110.3.2/14

The Clerk was asked to inform MDC of the decision of the Council

 

Clerk

 

 

 

110.4/14

PLANNING – Pre-application

 

 

 

 

110.4.1/14

Pump Track – Recreation Field – CC reported that the Recreation Field had asked the Parish Council for their views on the removal of the current garage, which is used for storage purposes, and the building of a new storage facility between the Club House and the Play area.  This had been measured and the existing concrete path is all right for emergency exit use.  The Council agreed that the Recreation Field should go ahead with this proposal.

 

 

 

 

110.5/15

Planning – Status of current applications

 

 

 

 

110.5.1/14

2014/2350/HSE Pound Cottage, Leigh-on-Mendip for Mr W Kangurs – this application had been approved.

 

 

 

 

110.5.2/14

The following two applications were still pending consideration and are likely to go to the Planning Board.  The Parish Council will be notified.

 

 

 

 

 

·             2014/2760/FUL Grove Shute Farm, Townsend Lane, Leigh-on-Mendip for Mr and Mrs Nick and Jane Hiscox

 

 

 

 

 

·             2014/2736/VRC Thrice Barn, Leigh Street, Leigh-on-Mendip for Mr Neil Scott.

 

 

 

 

111/14

FINANCE

 

 

 

 

111.1/14

Financial Statement – statement to 16.02.5 was agreed and signed

 

 

 

 

111.2/14

Cheques signed

 

 

 

 

 

·             Clerk’s Salary for January 2015 - £147.47 Payscale 18

 

 

·             Mrs A Brooks – reimbursement for purchase of a shredder £52.14

 

 

·             Vicky Higgins – purchase of signs for Recreation Field - £73.20

 

 

·             SLCC – half payment of membership subscription £38.50 (subscription to be shared with Witham Friary Parish Council)

 

 

·             Thomas Turner - £8.38 renewal of domain name (for 2 years) Leigh-on-Mendip.org.uk

 

 

 

 

111.3/14

Grant for Recreation Field Committee –  A grant of £73.20 was made for the provision of the replacement signs in the play area

 

 

 

 

112/14

CEMETERY MATTERS

 

 

 

 

112.1/14

Cemetery – Grass cutting – Mr Cross had quoted £1350 for the work and it was agreed unanimously to accept his quotation as an extension to the 2014 contract.  The Clerk was asked to write to him with a contract for signature.  The Clerk was also asked to contact the Landscape Group to make sure that they were aware that they did not need to cut the grass at St Giles’.

 

 

 

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

112.2/14

St Giles’ Church – it was noted that the consultation letter from the PCC had been distributed to all households in the village.  A public meeting is due to take place on 11 March in the Memorial Hall at 7.30 p.m. 

 

 

 

 

112.3/14

New Cemetery – CC will contact Jo Hudson before the next meeting for an update.

 

CC

 

 

 

113/14

FINANCIAL REGULATIONS

 

 

 

 

113.1/14

DM had provided a draft financial regulations document and was thanked for all his work on this.  It was noted that a statement about the forthcoming Transparency Code needs to be added at a later date.  DM agreed to make amendments and then send out for review and adoption at the next meeting.

 

 

 

 

DM

 

 

 

114/14

NOTICEBOARD REPLACEMENT

 

 

 

 

114.1/14

Simon Thomas attended the meeting to discuss the replacement noticeboard and gave his thoughts on the design, the materials and the costs involved.

 

 

 

 

 

114.2/14

Following this CC proposed, DM seconded and it was agreed unanimously to spend up to £1300.00 on the new noticeboard (this includes the £800 granted by MDC).  CC to ask DS to confirm this to Simon Thomas.

 

CC

 

 

 

115/14

PROVISION OF DEFIBRILLATOR

 

 

 

 

115.1/14

DM reported that the Memorial Hall is now interested in having a defibrillator.  The Clerk stated that as she had heard nothing from the Community Council of Somerset she had contacted South Western Ambulance Service direct and would report back to the next meeting.

 

 

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

116/14

COUNCILLOR REPORTS

 

 

 

 

116.1/14

PCSO – GN had distributed the minutes of the February meeting.  The meeting in May will take place on 20 May at Leigh-on-Mendip Memorial Hall.  GN/DM will attend.

 

 

 

 

116.2/14

Footpaths – nothing to report  

 

 

 

 

116.3/14

Highways – nothing further to report

 

 

 

 

116.4/14

Recreation Field – it was noted progress is now being made on the Pump Track.

 

 

 

 

116.5/14

Memorial Hall – the Quiz Night will be on Saturday 25 April.  The PC will form a team.

 

 

 

 

116.6/14

School – the Clerk was in receipt of a letter from the school thanking the Council for the cheque to buy the picnic table which is now on order.  The school greatly valued the ongoing support of the Council and invited the Parish Council to the school to view the new bench when it arrives.

 

 

 

 

116.7/14

SALC – the East area meeting will take place on 19 February at Wanstrow Village Hall.  CC will attend.

 

CC

 

 

 

116.8/14

Quarry – date of next meeting not confirmed but expected to be in March.  Minutes of the previous meeting have not been received.

 

 

 

 

116.9/14

Coleford Hub – launch event took place on 6 February. 

 

 

 

 

116.10/14

Neighbourhood Watch – CC stated that following the visit from the PCSO at the last meeting he had checked on the status of neighbourhood watch in the village.  Only two sections of the village are currently covered – Park Hayes and from the church eastwards.  All others have lapsed.  CC has written to households in Townsend and Tadhill about setting up a watch area and is awaiting responses. DM stated his interest in setting up another area in the village.

 

 

 

 

117/14

POINTS FROM PARISH BULLETIN

 

 

 

 

117.1/14

Neighbourhood Planning – the Community Council for Somerset and SALC are planning to hold workshops in February and March and interested parties should contact Jane Birch Community Involvement Officer at the Community Council for Somerset.  This had already been done by the Clerk and information of dates and venues is awaited.

 

 

 

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

118/14

MEETINGS ATTENDED/TO BE ATTENDED

 

 

 

 

118.1/14

·                  SALC Meeting – 19 February at Wanstrow

 

 

·                  Somerset Wildlife Trust, Magnificent Meadows Project – 24 February at Earth Science Centre, Stoke St Michael

 

 

·                  Church Village Consultation Meeting – 11 March, 7.30 p.m. in the Memorial Hall

 

 

·                  Village Clean Up – 14 March

 

 

 

 

119/14

CORRESPONDENCE

 

 

 

 

119.1/14

The Clerk had received the following correspondence and information

 

 

 

 

 

·                     Email from SALC – moving offices on 23 February to Edgar Hall, Somerton Business Park, Somerton, Somerset.  This move will enable onsite training to take place although training sessions will still take place around the county.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

·                     Email from SALC regarding downloadable resources for Clerks on election procedure.

 

 

 

 

 

·                     Information from MDC on ordinary elections for Parish Councils – Notes for the guidance of Town and Parish Council Clerks.  The Clerk to send round to Councillors

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

 

·                     Email from MDC regarding the Corporate Services Consultation where MDC are consulting on a proposal to change the way services are delivered locally.  The Clerk to send round to Councillors

 

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

120/14

DATE AND TIME OF NEXT MEETING

 

 

 

 

120.1/14

The next meeting will take place on Monday 16 March 2015 at 7.30 p.m. in the Memorial Hall.