MINUTES

LEIGH-ON-MENDIP PARISH COUNCIL MEETING

HELD ON MONDAY 16 MARCH 2015 AT 7.30 P.M. IN THE MEMORIAL HALL

 

Present

Chris Cudmore

CC

 

 

Gill Newbury

GN

 

 

David Mattick

DM

 

 

David Sparkes

DS

 

 

 

 

 

In attendance

Anthea Brooks, Clerk

AB

 

 

Val Horler, District Councillor

VH

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

121/14

APOLOGIES

ACTIONS

 

 

 

121.1/14

Apologies were received from Vikki Batten (VB), Kiley Pescott  (KP) and Phil Ham, District and County Councillor (PH)

 

 

 

 

122/14

DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST AND DISPENSATIONS/REQUESTS FOR RECORDING

 

 

 

 

122.1/14

There were no declarations of interest or dispensations.   It was noted that the meeting could be recorded if requested.

 

 

 

 

123/14

MINUTES OF THE MEETING HELD ON 16 FEBRUARY 2015

 

 

 

 

123.1/14

The minutes of the meeting held on 16 February 2015 were agreed as a true and accurate record and signed by the Chairman.

 

 

 

 

124/14

MATTERS ARISING FROM THE MINUTES OF 16 FEBRUARY 2015

 

 

 

 

62.4/14

Wildflower Meadow Project

 

 

 

 

 

DS had spoken to Rick Massey regarding Barnsclose which was not available for the wild flower scheme.  However he did suggest that the Cookswood Holiday development in Stoke St Michael might be suitable and contact details for the Somerset Wildlife Trust had been given to him.  With reference to the restoration of habitats adjacent to Leigh Wood which are identified as being of particular interest, CC agreed to try and make contact with the landowner.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

CC

 

 

 

04.1/14

Declarations of Interest and Dispensations – the Clerk has sent KP information to the MDC website but this was still not included.   The Clerk has sent VB a new declaration to complete.   The Clerk will pursue both matters.

 

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

 

 

04.7/14

Emergency Planning – DM reported that he had prepared a draft plan.  It was agreed that CC and DM would consider this before the next meeting.

 

 

CC/DM

 

 

 

09.8.1/14

Quarry – Long Term Management Fund – this item is covered under the Quarry report.

 

 

 

 

11.3/14

Training – the Clerk will make sure that VB and KP are informed of any available training dates later in the summer - ongoing

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

21.3/14

Rules and Regulations for Cemeteries and Burial Grounds – The Clerk is investigating rules and regulations for cemeteries and burial grounds - ongoing

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

34.1.3/14

Disused Quarry at the top of Whitehole Hill – Enforcement number ENF/2013/0368 – nothing new to report on this item. 

 

CC

 

 

 

54.3/14

Highways – Old Frome Road signage – CC is awaiting a response from Highways - ongoing

 

CC

 

 

 

66.3/14

Asset Register – this item is covered elsewhere on the agenda.

 

 

 

 

67.1.1/14

Cemetery – sunken grave – The Clerk has asked Mr Cross to bring in some top soil in the spring to fill in the hole caused by the sunken grave - complete

 

 

 

 

112.1/14

Cemetery – Grass cutting – the Clerk had written to Mr Cross awarding him the grass cutting contract for 2015.  The Clerk had also contacted the Landscape Group to remind them that they are not contracted to cut the grass at St Giles’.

 

 

 

 

112.3/14

New Cemetery – CC had contacted Jo Hudson (5 March) who is awaiting discussions with MDC - ongoing

 

CC

 

 

 

113.4/14

Financial Regulations – this item is covered elsewhere on the agenda

 

 

 

 

114.2/14

New Noticeboard – DS reported that Simon Thomas has this in hand

 

 

 

 

115.1/14

Defibrillator – the Clerk had spoken with South West Ambulance Trust who had given details of companies who supply defibrillators and in some cases provide funding.  DM agreed to have a look at the information and report back to the next meeting.

 

 

 

 

DM

 

 

 

116.7/14

SALC – unfortunately the East Area meeting had been cancelled at short notice.

 

 

 

 

 

117.1/14

Neighbourhood Planning – CC agreed to attend the meeting on the 23 March at Compton Dundon Village Hall.  The Clerk to book a place.

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

125/14

DISTRICT AND COUNTY COUNCILLORS REPORTS

 

 

 

 

125.1/14

There was no County Councillors report available.

 

 

 

 

125.2/14

There was nothing to report from the District Councillor apart from explaining that the delays in the Enforcement Office were being caused by staff illness.

 

 

 

 

126/14

PLANNING - Approvals

 

 

 

 

 

The following applications had been approved

 

 

 

 

126.1/14

2014/2691/FUL extension to existing bottling plant building and construction of new storage building at Whitehole Farm, Whitehole Hill, Leigh-on-Mendip for Mr John Patch

 

 

 

 

126.2/14

2015/0235/HSE Single storey extension on east elevation to Clove Cottage, Tadhill, Leigh-on-Mendip and Mr and Mrs M. Taylor

 

 

 

 

126.3/14

2014/2593/HSE Construction of a single storey garage and garden store at Paddock View, Blackers Lane, Leigh-on-Mendip for Mr A Andrews

 

 

 

 

127/14

Planning – Status of current applications

 

 

 

 

127.1/14

2014/2760/FUL Grove Shute Farm, Townsend Lane, Leigh-on-Mendip for Mr and Mrs Nick and Jane Hiscox

 

 

 

 

127.1.1/14

This application is to go before the Planning Board on 18 March.  The Parish Council are invited to speak for three minutes and have recommended approval. 

 

 

 

 

127.1.2/14

The Officers report recommends refusal and states that Leigh-on-Mendip is no longer considered a sustainable settlement because of its limited facilities and services, the closest primary or secondary village being Stoke St Michael.

 

 

 

 

127.1.3/14

The Council discussed this and agreed that CC should attend and speak for the application and state that the village is a vibrant community with a public house, church, hall, recreation field, cricket and football teams and a school.  The Council agreed that limited development of lower cost houses is vital to maintain the vitality and demographics of the village as long as it does not detract from the character and layout of the parish.  There must be continued organic growth of housing for young families. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

CC

 

 

 

128/14

Other applications still pending consideration are:

 

 

 

 

 

·             2014/2736/VRC Thrice Barn, Leigh Street, Leigh-on-Mendip for Mr Neil Scott.

 

 

 

 

 

·             2015/0225/HSE Construct single storey lean-to on west elevation, construct lean-to garage and car port on south elevation and single storey sun room extension on the west elevation at Crossways, Townsend, Leigh-on-Mendip for Mr and Mrs M Taylor

 

 

 

 

129/14

FINANCE

 

 

 

 

129.1/14

Financial Statement – statement to 16.03.15 was agreed and signed

 

 

 

 

129.2/14

Cheques signed

 

 

 

 

 

·             Clerk’s Salary for February 2015 - £137.65 Payscale 18

 

 

 

 

129.3/14

Grant for St John Ambulance – the request for a grant from St John Ambulance was considered but as they are not used within the village it was decided to turn down the request.

 

 

 

 

129.4/14

Review of Clerk’s Contractual Hours – The Clerk left the room for this discussion.  The Councillors asked for the following statement to be minuted on her return.

 

 

 

 

129.4.1/14

DS proposed, GB seconded and it was agreed unanimously that effective from 1 April a new contract rate of 24 hours a month be issued to the Clerk.  This is a rise of 4 hours per month and is justified by the increased complexity and workload of the role and which is consistent with national guidelines.

 

 

 

 

129.5/14

Internal Auditor – The Clerk reported that Mr Richard Blunden had agreed to act as the internal auditor for 2015.

 

 

 

 

129.6/14

External Audit – The Clerk reported the receipt of a letter from Grant Thornton and the Council were informed that the deadline for presentation of the accounts for 2014/15 was 29 June 2015.

 

 

 

 

130/14

CEMETERY MATTERS

 

 

 

 

130.1/14

Nothing further to report

 

 

 

 

131/14

FINANCIAL REGULATIONS

 

 

 

 

131.1/14

CC proposed, GB seconded and it was agreed unanimously to adopt the amended Financial Regulations

 

 

 

 

 

 

132/14

RISK ASSESSMENT

 

 

 

 

132.1/14

Delegated responsibilities – it was agreed that the Terms of Delegation should be reviewed in 2015 and in future thereafter.  It was agreed that next year another Councillor will carry out the review. 

 

 

 

 

132.2/14

With this amendment the Risk Assessment was signed by DM and the Clerk

 

 

 

 

133/14

ASSET REGISTER

 

 

 

 

133.1/14

It was agreed that where items are disposed of a statement should be made as to why the disposal is taking place. 

 

 

 

 

 

133.2/14

It was agreed that the Clerk would email the Recreation Field Management Committee and the school to make them aware of the items that have been transferred to them and ask them to confirm that they are now the keeper of these items e.g. slide and swings in the Recreation Field and stage blocks at the school.

 

 

 

 

 

Clerk

 

 

 

134/14

SOMERSET LOCAL AUTHORITIES CIVIL CONTINGENCIES UNIT

 

 

 

 

134.1/14

The Clerk had received a letter from Somerset Local Authorities’ Civil Contingencies Unit asking for emergency community contacts in the village.  This arose after the flooding problems in 2013/14 when some affected communities were unsure who to contact within local government about the emergency.  The SLACC invites Parishes and Towns across Somerset to nominate at least three people to act as contacts who must be able to speak with authority on behalf of the Council, community or geographical area.  The contacts should be able to give current information about how any emergency is affecting the area and any problems which may require help.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

134.2/14

It was agreed to complete this when DM and CC had finished their discussions regarding the Parish Council Emergency Plan The same contact names would apply to each document.

 

 

DM/CC

 

 

 

135/14

PREPARATION OF ANNUAL NEWSLETTER

 

 

 

 

135.1/14

CC stated that he would prepare a draft and distribute for comment to Councillors.  The final draft would be agreed at the next meeting in April.

 

 

CC

 

 

 

 

 

 

136/14

COUNCILLOR REPORTS

 

 

 

 

136.1/14

PCSO – DS reported that he had attended the meeting at Buckland Dinham.  The next meeting is scheduled to take place on 20 May in the Memorial Hall at Leigh-on-Mendip.

It was noted that Neighbourhood Watch Coordinators are invited to attend these meetings.  GN agreed to find out if members of the general public could also attend.

 

 

 

 

 

GN

 

 

 

136.2/14

Neighbourhood Watch – DM and CC are trying to restart some neighbourhood watch schemes that have lapsed.

 

DM/CC

 

 

 

136.3/14

Footpaths

 

 

 

 

136.3.1/14

DS stated that he had received an email from Somerset County Council Rights of Way Volunteer Coordinator regarding a return which has to be completed regarding the numbers of hours spent by volunteers. DS will obtain the information and submit the report. 

 

 

 

 

DS

 

 

 

136.3.2/14

DS stated that he would like to develop the idea of having Village Rangers to undertake work such as cutting back vegetation. 

 

 

DS

 

 

 

136.3.3/14

CC suggested contacting the relevant landowners to remind them before they cultivate the land about keeping the footpaths clear.  CC will print off the information and DS will distribute to the landowners concerned

 

 

 

DS/CC

 

 

 

136.4/14

Highways – CC reported on a website called fixmystreet.com where things can be easily reported to the County or District Council which are broken, dirty, damaged or dumped and need fixing, cleaning or clearing e.g. graffiti, dog fouling, potholes or street lights that don’t work.  CC reported that although MDC have their own customer services system requests from fixmystreet are actioned.  CC stated that he would be promoting this service on the website.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

CC

 

 

 

136.5/14

Recreation Field – the annual meeting is scheduled for 13 April.

 

 

 

 

136.6/14

Memorial Hall – the Quiz Night will be on Saturday 25 April.  The Clerk will book in two teams from the PC.

Clerk

 

 

 

136.7/14

School – nothing to report

 

 

 

 

136.8/14

SALC – the East Area meeting was cancelled at short notice.  The next SALC related event is the Neighbourhood Planning Workshop which takes place on 23 March and which CC is attending

 

 

 

CC

 

 

 

 

136.9/14

Quarry

 

 

 

 

136.9.1/14

DS reported that the quarry is likely to be sold to CRH. Their policy towards the Country Fair is not known at this stage although the local management continue to support the commitment. 

 

 

136.9.2/14

Rookery Farmhouse is now nearing completion and the next Quarry Liaison Meeting will take place there on 8 April at 10.00a.m. They will continue to support the school.  The wild flower meadow is being extended. 

 

 

 

 

136.9.3/14

Hope Concrete is closing down completely and the plant will be removed. 

 

 

 

 

136.9.4/14

Blasting has commenced for the balancing lake.

 

 

 

 

136.9.5/14

The new pipeline to supply the springs at the fishing lakes will start very soon, there will be disruption on some roads as the pipeline is laid across them.

 

 

 

 

136.9.6/14

LTMF – CC updated the council on the response from SCC dated 12 March to our letter of 23 February.  There are some remaining issues which will be discussed at the liaison meeting in April but in principle the Parish Council was now supporting the payments into the SCC account.

 

 

 

 

136.10/14

Coleford Hub – GN will find out about community activities.

GN

 

 

 

137/14

POINTS FROM PARISH BULLETIN

 

 

 

 

137.1/14

Parish Clerks Forum – 13 April at 6.00 p.m. at MDC.  The Clerk will attend

Clerk

 

 

 

137.2/14

Rural Watch have reported a number of Hall break ins

 

 

 

 

137.3/14

Mendip CAB – are offering a free information training session which will take place in Wells in April.

 

 

 

 

137.4/14

Orchard Windfalls Fund – grants up to £700 for schools and community groups for orchard planting projects during National Tree Week – GN will inform the school of this.

GN

 

 

 

137.5/14

Mendip Rural Forums – the next meeting will be on 4 June

 

 

 

 

138/14

MEETINGS ATTENDED/TO BE ATTENDED

 

 

 

 

138.1/14

·                  MDC Planning Board – 18 March (CC)

 

 

·                  Neighbourhood Planning Meeting – 23 March (CC)

 

 

·                  PCC Annual Meeting, Memorial Hall, 7.00 for 7.30 p.m. 30 March

 

 

·                  Quarry Meeting 8 April (DS & CC)

 

 

·                  Parish Clerks Forum 13 April (Clerk)

 

 

 

 

139/14

CORRESPONDENCE

 

 

 

 

139.1/14

The Clerk had received the following correspondence

 

 

 

 

 

·                     Email regarding the outcome of the Somerset Library Services Review and Consultation.

 

 

 

 

 

 

·                     Email regarding the adoption of the Somerset Minerals Plan up to 2030

 

 

 

 

 

·                     Email from a family who will be moving into the village soon and are keen gardeners and wanted to hire an allotment.  The Clerk was advised that there are some private plots which may be available. CC will email contact details to the Clerk who will go back to the original enquirer with the information.

 

 

 

 

 

CC/Clerk

 

 

 

 

·                     Notice of election – The Clerk will be putting the notice of election on the noticeboards on 23 March.

 

Clerk

 

 

 

140/14

DATE AND TIME OF NEXT MEETING

 

 

 

 

140.1/14

The next meeting will take place on Monday 20 April 2015 at 7.30 p.m. in the Memorial Hall.